HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to sell our Hammer?

Old
07-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
The only way we get rid of Hamrlik is if we get a clear better return.

I think you greatly underestimate his value and you'll realize it next year. Last year, our whole defense looked like crap outside Markov. Two years ago he was crucial to us and I'm sure he will be again to us next year.

His cap hit is big, but like I said, the only we get rid of him is if we bring in a better player in return.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Finnadien

If we could package him along with Plekanec for a real 2nd line center, which I don't believe Plekanec is and never will be, I'd be all for it.

Looking at the current lineup our defense seems stronger than in years, we have decent wingers, solid defensive forwards with the brilliant addition of Moen and a strong goaltending tandem.

What still separates us from a real contender, is depth at center. Lineups of past years successful teams have been extremely strong in the middle and I can't think of a reason why there would be any changes in that trend.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 06:58 AM
DeVries*

To worth his money Hammer needs to play like he did 2 seasons ago.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:51 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I can't have been the only one to notice that the whole team took a definite step back last year.
There, fixed it for you.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:00 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

honestly, this is not exactly the smartest of threads...

EVERYONE on the team sucked last year.

Hammer was solid the years before and had a bad year and you want to trade him?

Hell no.

He'll be back to his good form this year and nobody will talk about it.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Tuggy

Who is going to take his spot? Ryan O'Byrne? Give me a ****ing break.

Gainey has finally given us a solid, versatile, experienced defense and there are still fans that aren't happy.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Well, if Subban/Weber gets called up at one point this season and proves that they're NHL ready, Hamrlik could be available at the deadline.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:18 AM
STAALing

Who's #2 Dman after that ? Spacek ??

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Iwishihadacup

lol @ writing off everyone after a bad season

you guys are pathetic

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
la25ecoupe

Hammer was a beast at the begining on 2008-09

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Well, if Subban/Weber gets called up at one point this season and proves that they're NHL ready, Hamrlik could be available at the deadline.
Subban + Weber will not bring the cup.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Daice

If you want to trade hammer just so you can see we have 3 mil available under the cap, then I'm happy you are not a GM. That guy is way better than with what we will replace him. Via trade you wont get enough. we are in no need of dumping salaries, HOWEVER if we DO sign a big name, NEXT YEAR then MAYBE he will be one of the first guys that we will be looking at.

Meanwhile, it's useless to move him.

In a team you cant have one d makin 5 mil and the rest of them 1 mil, you will never win, unless they are all dion phaneuf in their first year, which is not going to happen

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Almost everybody on this team sucked last year. The only guys (in my opinion) who met or exceeded expectations were Halak, Gorges, Lapierre, Markov, and maybe Kostopoulos.

To get rid of Hamrlik right now would be a huge mistake. Sure, maybe we'll regret having his contract in the off-season, but if you have any hope of this team accomplishing anything this year I think he needs to be here.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Ross MacLochness

Every time we get good depth at a position there's a group of people who want to give it right back away. The defense will stay as is, we don't need O'Byrne playing every night. This is the best #1-6 group we've had in Montreal for a long time, now let's actually see what we can do with it.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
bipolarhabfan

NO. We now have a top-6 that we have not seen in ages in Montreal. Hamrlik will not be relied upon as heavily as before and will be insulated in a defensive core with others who can play 20 minutes or more a night. There is, therefore, no reason to trade him at the moment.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Habanero514

Quote:
I can't have been the only one to notice that Roman Hamrlik took a definite step back last year. While he's still valuable on the powerplay and put up good numbers, he made a lot more dumb mistakes than he did the year before, and his $5.5M contract is going to hold us back this year and next if we're as close to the cap as my estimates showed. I figure we could probably try out Weber or grab a cheap free agent to take Hamrlik's place if he was moved, which would leave us with a bit more maneuverability under the cap.

So, with that in mind, should we look at trading Hammer, and what could we get for him? Does he have some value, or would we be looking at getting what Chicago got for Aucoin a few years back (POS + 7th-rounder)?
What if you sell your hammer and you just get nails,bolts and screws ?

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:01 PM
HabsAtak

Personally, I think losing Hammer would hurt us more than getting another center. The D as is right now is rock solid on paper and is going to scare a lot of teams when they play against us. The time to trade, buyout or waive Hammer is next summer or maybe the deadline if we don't gel. Hammer's contract will need to probably come off the books next year to clear some cap space. Until then though I think we keep him.

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
You don't HAVE to replace Hamrlik from within... How about Dennis Seidenberg? Similar player, just entering his prime at 27, very impressive in the playoffs last year, could probably be had for half the cost...

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Puckhead58*

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Hammer....it makes no sense to me.

We finally get a great skating, great passing, puck moving defencemen and people want to get rid of him because his cap hit is a bit big. He's our best defensive defencemen who looks after the defensive zone first and worries about offence second. He give us control in our own end instead of running around and not getting the puck out and the other team scoring.

I know he might have had an off year last year...or so people think and he still had 33 points and was a plus 4 with 62 PIM's....which is better than the year before that....but nobody was complaining about him his first year.
The thing people don't realize is that we'd have to pay someone else just about as much money to replace Hamrlik to do as good a job and be as steady as Hammer. If we do get rid of Hamrlik.....people are going to miss him and his solid play in our own end....I can guarantee that.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
You don't HAVE to replace Hamrlik from within... How about Dennis Seidenberg? Similar player, just entering his prime at 27, very impressive in the playoffs last year, could probably be had for half the cost...
That's the ONLY way I'd let Hammer go. ONLY way.

And I'd want him SIGNED before Hamrlik was even discussed in trade talks.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Don't throw the hammer out with the bath water... or something like that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
Eventually yeah, we will have to.
WHAT?! Eventually he will no longer be playing for MTL!?

oMg u is so smrt!

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
I can't have been the only one to notice that Roman Hamrlik took a definite step back last year. While he's still valuable on the powerplay and put up good numbers, he made a lot more dumb mistakes than he did the year before, and his $5.5M contract is going to hold us back this year and next if we're as close to the cap as my estimates showed. I figure we could probably try out Weber or grab a cheap free agent to take Hamrlik's place if he was moved, which would leave us with a bit more maneuverability under the cap.

So, with that in mind, should we look at trading Hammer, and what could we get for him? Does he have some value, or would we be looking at getting what Chicago got for Aucoin a few years back (POS + 7th-rounder)?

It's interesting that you bring this point, and the same player I had mentioned yesterday that could be moved if ever we need to clear space to welcome a Lecavalier trade.
5.5 + ~2 millions (Plekanec) = 7.5 M which brings us close to the 7.7 cap hit that comes with Lecavalier.

[now I am not saying this the trade for Lecavalier, I am just mentioning how we could clear cap space]

You have to replace Hamrlik with a young defenseman at ~0.6 million and it brings the above number to us ~6.9 millions... so 0.8 millions away from Vincent's cap hit. So as long as we leave about $1Million of wiggle room in the current cap space, we are find to react to a "potential" Lecavalier trade to Toronto.

Why did you want to save cap space in the first place anyway?

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

nobody is touching that contract especially since he is locked up for another year after this.

Hammer can still be effective for this team, but we have to face the fact that he's quite overpaid for what he brings. I dont know if our D is better than last year, but I do think its more balanced, therefore, I dont think he will be relied on as heavily as he used to. Consequently, he'll look like a better d-man.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

I just think we have too many bodies on D.

Spacek - Markov
Hamrlik - Mara
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne, Weber, Subban, Carle

Give the opportunity to someone from within to replace him, just get a 3rd or a 6th for next draft, then if it doesn't work a couple games into the season get some UFA.

If I'm not mistaken he's got some kind of NMC, that would be a slight problem.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote