HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura's Future with the Habs...Signs 1 year deal with Habs

Old
07-11-2009, 08:01 AM
AlexMeth

vCash: 500
Chipper will be the next captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of the Hamilton Bulldogs

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Fozz

There's a chance that Laraque won't be healthy enough to start the season... That would open up another roster spot.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:09 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Exactly. I mean, you go to camp and just make sure, first. There shouldn't be any free lunches for anybody. And who knows, if somebody blows out a knee in September you'd feel stupid if you had thrown somebody away before that happens.

We have room for 4 of Metropolit, Chipchura, D'Agostini, Stewart, MaxPac, and SKost. That's the camp battle as I see it. 4 of 6 make it. 2 don't. Barring injuries. You might make it 4 of 7 if you want to include Weber and suggest that he could be a swing-man a la Streit for the team. Actually, let's do that. 7 players for 4 spots.

3 of those guys are waiver exempt (MaxPac, SKost, Weber), so right there you've got 3 easy choices for more seasoning in Hamilton if they don't prove decisively that they should bump any of the other 4.

But I think you have to leave the door open to the possibility that they bump a guy. I don't think we have much invested in Metropolit, and while he's a solid little player, he's no real loss if somebody gives us hope of matching his play. Chipchura is the best bet for that IMHO.

Meanwhile, I'm personally not high on the longterm potential of Stewart or D'Agostini either. To me, it's Chipchura, MaxPac, SKost, and Weber who have the biggest upside for us. So if camp really did lead to a conclusion of risking Stewart or D'Agostini on waivers, well, it's an option. (I recognize some posters here would put Chipchura in that same group, but I think those posters are very misguided and misinformed.)

So really, I think it's a little bit funny considering the theme of this thread so far, but of 7 guys playing for 4 jobs, I'd actually have Chipchura as the safest bet of the 7. There's no harm in having MaxPac, SKost, or Weber starting in Hamilton. They're waiver exempt and they'll be here eventually. And there's no real longterm loss if Stewart, D'Agostini, or Metropolit are waived. I'm not even convinced they'd all be claimed by other teams.
I'm sorry, but a middle first rounder who has a ceiling of a 3rd center can definitely be call a bust.

Can he still make it to the NHL? Maybe, but each time that he got a chance, he just couldn't keep up, the game is just too fast for him.

We'll see this year, but imo, if he doesn't make the team at training camp, he's gone.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people I've seen put Chipchura at the 4th line center spot over Metropolit. Metro was dynamite there last year while Chipchura again showed nothing when given the chance. I've been waiting and waiting for Chipchura to step up but he just hasn't done it. For me he is dangerously close to bust territory and honestly this year might be his last chance. At this point I have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a 3rd line player at best.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people I've seen put Chipchura at the 4th line center spot over Metropolit. Metro was dynamite there last year while Chipchura again showed nothing when given the chance. I've been waiting and waiting for Chipchura to step up but he just hasn't done it. For me he is dangerously close to bust territory and honestly this year might be his last chance. At this point I have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a 3rd line player at best.
He was drafted to be a 3rd line player.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm sorry, but a middle first rounder who has a ceiling of a 3rd center can definitely be call a bust.
Only about 60-70% of all first rounders end up playing significant time in the NHL. So if he mades it as a third liner, he'll still be much better than 30-40% of all first rounders. So no, that wouldn't make him definitively a bust.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Exactly. I mean, you go to camp and just make sure, first. There shouldn't be any free lunches for anybody. And who knows, if somebody blows out a knee in September you'd feel stupid if you had thrown somebody away before that happens.

We have room for 4 of Metropolit, Chipchura, D'Agostini, Stewart, MaxPac, and SKost. That's the camp battle as I see it. 4 of 6 make it. 2 don't. Barring injuries. You might make it 4 of 7 if you want to include Weber and suggest that he could be a swing-man a la Streit for the team. Actually, let's do that. 7 players for 4 spots.

3 of those guys are waiver exempt (MaxPac, SKost, Weber), so right there you've got 3 easy choices for more seasoning in Hamilton if they don't prove decisively that they should bump any of the other 4.

But I think you have to leave the door open to the possibility that they bump a guy. I don't think we have much invested in Metropolit, and while he's a solid little player, he's no real loss if somebody gives us hope of matching his play. Chipchura is the best bet for that IMHO.

Meanwhile, I'm personally not high on the longterm potential of Stewart or D'Agostini either. To me, it's Chipchura, MaxPac, SKost, and Weber who have the biggest upside for us. So if camp really did lead to a conclusion of risking Stewart or D'Agostini on waivers, well, it's an option. (I recognize some posters here would put Chipchura in that same group, but I think those posters are very misguided and misinformed.)

So really, I think it's a little bit funny considering the theme of this thread so far, but of 7 guys playing for 4 jobs, I'd actually have Chipchura as the safest bet of the 7. There's no harm in having MaxPac, SKost, or Weber starting in Hamilton. They're waiver exempt and they'll be here eventually. And there's no real longterm loss if Stewart, D'Agostini, or Metropolit are waived. I'm not even convinced they'd all be claimed by other teams.
Nice post. Potentially, Stewy should not be on your list for anything more then depth and 4th line player and a good one for that. He's strong, skates well and fights for his team mates. I see nothing wrong there. Now D'Agostini on the other hand is to me a wild card. Some see him has the newe Ryder. A goal scorer that's it. Some see more potential in him and I think that with the right linemate, he could be a very good sniper on the 2nd line.
I see where you think Chipchura has nice potential. He's a leader, works hard and plays a defencive game. Underrated offence and I can see this guy becoming a clucht scorer in the playoffs. What people forget his that we had Carb for a coach and to me, he hurted some of those guys in term of development. Take Latendress for examplle, he did well and I beleive that if it was an other coach, he would have not made the team back in 2007. I like Tender and he will be better cause of it. To me Chip could had been on the team last year.....but that's me

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:55 AM
hotcarle

I'm not ready to give up on Chipchura yet. Metropolit did show good things at the end of the year, but let's face it...we picked him up on waivers and he's slightly overpaid. If we lose him while sending him down, it's not the end of the world. I'm be more upset losing Chipchura for nothing.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He was drafted to be a 3rd line player.
And he isn't even close to that yet, which is sad to say the least.

And how is Metropolit overpaid at 1M a season? Some of you people are maddening

Old
07-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Other than faceoffs and skating, the guy gets so much undeserved flak.

He's a fine player. Was one at 21, when he made the team out of camp and was solid on the third line, has gotten better each year in Hamilton. Just because he didn't play great last year when he was coming off an injury in a no-system team, playing with Bégin, Laraque and whoever else doesn't mean he isn't any good.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:05 AM
hotcarle

[QUOTE=

And how is Metropolit overpaid at 1M a season? Some of you people are maddening[/QUOTE]

Under the circumstances he is overpaid. We can't afford to paid a fourth line center a million dollars, when the first line center is making 7. Youngsters are cheaper and that's the only way Bob is going to manage our salary cap commitments. Imagine if he actually had to pay 2 goalies, like Chicago did last year.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:05 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Other than faceoffs and skating, the guy gets so much undeserved flak.

He's a fine player. Was one at 21, when he made the team out of camp and was solid on the third line, has gotten better each year in Hamilton. Just because he didn't play great last year when he was coming off an injury in a no-system team, playing with Bégin, Laraque and whoever else doesn't mean he isn't any good.
Sooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!Welcome Jacques Martin

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Kafka

Chipchura has only to focus on one thing right now: improving his skating.

Vincent LeCavalier, who is already pretty fast, is currently getting trained by a former speed skater from Quebec. Could help a guy like Chipchura for sure I guess.

Because beside his skating, the guy could play in the NHL. Problem is he is getting old, and should have improved his skating already (like Latendresse did).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
Under the circumstances he is overpaid. We can't afford to paid a fourth line center a million dollars, when the first line center is making 7. Youngsters are cheaper and that's the only way Bob is going to manage our salary cap commitments. Imagine if he actually had to pay 2 goalies, like Chicago did last year.
That's the confusing part. You say you can't afford to pay a 4th line center 1 million, yet what do you expect Chipchura to earn? 900K at least, so is 100K that big of a difference? And Metro is on the final year of his contract so he doesn't hamper Gainey in the future.

I just believe the team is better this year with Metro and if Chipchura is on this team it's because he has earned it not because he is a former first round pick.

Old
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Iwishihadacup

hmm, I wonder how you guys felt about thomas plekanec after his 3rd year pro

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Oleg Petrov

chipchura signed a 1 year / 1 way deal this morning.

I guess he is in the plans after all.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post

That or he's going to be a reserve forward/waiver fodder.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:

Where is this now ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Where is this now ?
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/278224.html

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Iwishihadacup

where is chipchura now?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Koivu_habs#1

Quote:

Where in RDS.ca does it say a one way deal?

Koivu_habs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:57 AM
kyne

It's amazing how many people think he's a bust already. I'm guessing this opinion most likely comes from people who have never seen him play for an extended period. Like any kid (and he is a kid), he's still learning and will learn even more under Martin. I think that JM is the perfect coach for him, in fact.

wow...judging by what's written here sometimes, no one in the history of the Montreal Canadiens has done anything right...ever.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigM1ke

Chipchura signs for 1 year

Just wanted to let you know.
Terms of the deal not disclosed.
From RDS.ca

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/278224.html

BigM1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Metro was good for us last year, but we need to trade him. Someone will want him, and I'll take a late round pick for him, and it would prolly save us some money and give Chips a chance. He does have good size...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sebaldian

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284444

Sebaldian is online now   Reply With Quote