HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

With most first round matchups locked..

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
  #1
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,164
vCash: 500
With most first round matchups locked..

.. what are your thoughts on your opponent? Their qualities, their weaknesses, the history between them and how do you see your chances? I'd share mine on either the Nucks or Avs as soon as it becomes obvious..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 11:30 AM
  #2
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
.. what are your thoughts on your opponent? Their qualities, their weaknesses, the history between them and how do you see your chances? I'd share mine on either the Nucks or Avs as soon as it becomes obvious..

I'd have to say that there are very few first round match-ups locked up.

The only likely match-up in the East is the Lightning and the Isles; although the Sabres could have somehting to say about that.

The 2-6 seeds in the East are separated by 3 points. At this point anything can happen.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
  #3
ajs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Well, as a fan of Boston, I really have no idea where we'll finish or who we'll end up playing. I'm hoping we can avoid New Jersey in the first round and play either the Islanders/Sabres or Ottawa/Montreal. I wouldn't mind the Leafs first round either, but I'd really like to try our best to avoid them as well.

ajs is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 12:08 PM
  #4
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
If everything will go according to logic Ithink B's will play Habs in the first round...

I honestly don't know if it's bad or good thing. I think it's better than playing
Sens, Leafs or Devils(at their 100%) but I won't be surprised with any outcome of these series.

I think it's a bad carma to wish for particular opponent in the playoffs.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 01:07 PM
  #5
Douggy
Registered User
 
Douggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
The only 'locks' right now are 1. Detroit, 2. San Jose, 4-5. Dallas, 1. Tampa Bay, and 8. New York.

Even none of those are officially clinched.

Douggy is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
  #6
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Qc city
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
The only 'locks' right now are 1. Detroit, 2. San Jose, 4-5. Dallas, 1. Tampa Bay, and 8. New York.

Even none of those are officially clinched.

Montreal at 7th is almost a sure thing too

NHLcrazy is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
  #7
King of Kelvington
Registered User
 
King of Kelvington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Talk about premature postage...better see a doctor about that M=G.

Still alot that can happen.

King of Kelvington is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 01:30 PM
  #8
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
The only 'locks' right now are 1. Detroit, 2. San Jose, 4-5. Dallas, 1. Tampa Bay, and 8. New York.

Even none of those are officially clinched.
Montreal is more of a lock for 7 than the Isles are for 8.

MLH is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 02:02 PM
  #9
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 50
Flames should be finishing 6th, unless something drastic happens

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 04:33 PM
  #10
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Habs vs. Bruins "As Good As It Gets"

Dream matchup between 2 long and bitter rivals,
Lafleur vs. Marcotte
Bouchard vs. Johnathan
Big Bird vs. Milbury
Corson vs. Neely
Bourque vs. Roy
Chelios vs. anyone
Miller vs. Nuckles Nilan
Theo vs. Guerin
I have the uptmost respect for the Bruins organization but I do HATE them with a passion. Nothing in Hockey like it!!

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 04:40 PM
  #11
pei_bruins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Summerside, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan
Dream matchup between 2 long and bitter rivals,
Lafleur vs. Marcotte
Bouchard vs. Johnathan
Big Bird vs. Milbury
Corson vs. Neely
Bourque vs. Roy
Chelios vs. anyone
Miller vs. Nuckles Nilan
Theo vs. Guerin
I have the uptmost respect for the Bruins organization but I do HATE them with a passion. Nothing in Hockey like it!!
If they meet this year, a lot of the focus will be on the rookies- Raycroft vs. Ryder. Should be a great series if we get to see it!

pei_bruins is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 05:24 PM
  #12
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan
Dream matchup between 2 long and bitter rivals,
Lafleur vs. Marcotte
Bouchard vs. Johnathan
Big Bird vs. Milbury
Corson vs. Neely
Bourque vs. Roy
Chelios vs. anyone
Miller vs. Nuckles Nilan
Theo vs. Guerin
I have the uptmost respect for the Bruins organization but I do HATE them with a passion. Nothing in Hockey like it!!
That is one classy post.

( For once Habs fan doesn't want for B's and their fans to disappear!)

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 05:42 PM
  #13
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
That is one classy post.

( For once Habs fan doesn't want for B's and their fans to disappear!)
Thanks BruinsGirl, I do have lots of respect for our rivalry. I do NOT have any respect for any Leaf fans or their thug organization. :mad:
Leaf fans never have anything constructive to say about any other team than theirs, and that slogan Leaf Nation is just sickenining.
1967 forever and counting

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
  #14
Jyroe Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
If they meet this year, a lot of the focus will be on the rookies- Raycroft vs. Ryder. Should be a great series if we get to see it!
RYDER VS RAYCROFT IN LIGHTS!!
I just hope in gods name that the idiots at HNIC and the NHL don't schedule the Habs and the Leafs on the same night. :mad: I want to see the best opening series on English CBC and watch the ratings soar!!

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 05:49 PM
  #15
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
.. what are your thoughts on your opponent? Their qualities, their weaknesses, the history between them and how do you see your chances? I'd share mine on either the Nucks or Avs as soon as it becomes obvious..
Can you list these "locks"? It might help people identify who their team will be playing...

Hyped is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 06:32 PM
  #16
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Can you list these "locks"? It might help people identify who their team will be playing...
In the East:
Tampa Bay needs 1 pt to clinch 1st overall in the eastern conferance
Toronto, Ottawa, Boston, Philly, and NJ can all finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th (assuming NJ doesn't drop the remaining 3 games and Montreal wins out)
Montrealwill most likley finish 7th overall, but could fall to far as 8th if lose to the NYI in regulation on Wednesday
NYI can clinch the with 4 pts in their last 3 games.
Buffalo can clinch a spot by winning out and the Islanders gaining 3 pts or less in their last 3 games.

In the West:
Detroit can clinch first overall with one point in their last 3 games
San Jose can clinch 2nd with 3 pts in their final 3 games.
Colorado and Vancouver can finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th , possibly 2nd if San Jose slides.
Dallas can finish at least 5th with 1 pt, and could, most likley, finish as high as 4th.
Calgary looks like a lock at the 6th spot. Needs 2 pts to clinch at least 6th.
St. Louis, Edmonton, and Nashville can all finish anywhere from 7th to 9th.

So, there aren't many 'locks'

Most likley scenarios:

Tampa vs NYI or Buffalo
Calgary vs Vancouver or Colorado

Outside of that, there really isn't anything that you can say is for sure.


TehDoak is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 07:13 PM
  #17
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
If they meet this year, a lot of the focus will be on the rookies- Raycroft vs. Ryder. Should be a great series if we get to see it!
I rivalry I love to watch is the Souray-Thornton rivalry.. its a subtle one.. but its there and they hate eachother on the ice. I hope Souray gets back in time to continue with this rivalry in the playoffs.

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
  #18
Superfluous U
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
Montreal is more of a lock for 7 than the Isles are for 8.
True, but 2nd is still very much up in the air, so the matchup isn't set

Superfluous U is offline  
Old
03-30-2004, 07:28 PM
  #19
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Wings have no idea who they are facing yet. All of them (StL, Edmonton, Nashville) will be a tough match up. I'd rather play StL out of those three. Even though I was cheering for Edmonton and Nashville to make the playoffs. One most lose for the better of the Wings, ha.

EDIT: Took the pizza smiley out, it doesn't work. :mad:

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 02:14 AM
  #20
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
In the East:
Tampa Bay needs 1 pt to clinch 1st overall in the eastern conferance
Toronto, Ottawa, Boston, Philly, and NJ can all finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th (assuming NJ doesn't drop the remaining 3 games and Montreal wins out)
Montrealwill most likley finish 7th overall, but could fall to far as 8th if lose to the NYI in regulation on Wednesday
NYI can clinch the with 4 pts in their last 3 games.
Buffalo can clinch a spot by winning out and the Islanders gaining 3 pts or less in their last 3 games.

In the West:
Detroit can clinch first overall with one point in their last 3 games
San Jose can clinch 2nd with 3 pts in their final 3 games.
Colorado and Vancouver can finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th , possibly 2nd if San Jose slides.
Dallas can finish at least 5th with 1 pt, and could, most likley, finish as high as 4th.
Calgary looks like a lock at the 6th spot. Needs 2 pts to clinch at least 6th.
St. Louis, Edmonton, and Nashville can all finish anywhere from 7th to 9th.

So, there aren't many 'locks'

Most likley scenarios:

Tampa vs NYI or Buffalo
Calgary vs Vancouver or Colorado

Outside of that, there really isn't anything that you can say is for sure.

That's the point. Even those "locks" aren't decided yet...

Hyped is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 06:58 AM
  #21
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Flames should be finishing 6th, unless something drastic happens
Drastic? They have a 1 point lead over St Louis.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.