Notices

A potential log jam at the blueline?

Old
07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
a79krgm

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
A potential log jam at the blueline?

With the signing of Tyler Cuma this club seems to have an overload of talent at the blueline. Aside from these main stays (Burns, Schultz,Johnsson,Hnidy,Zidlicky and Zannon)

... who is mostly likey to spend significant time with the big club this season?

Tyler Cuma, Justin Falk, Clayton Stoner, John Scott?

Also, are any of these guys good enough for Fletcher to consider moving out one of the Wild's experienced d-men?

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 07:34 PM
TeamSeals

I don't think the signing of Cuma changes anything really, I'm still pretty sure he will spend the year in juniors and make up for the development he lost due to injury. Cuma will really have to impress or someone will have to have a serious injury very early for him to stick with the club. After that Scott is on a one way deal I think so he will start the year as the 7th Dman. I think Stoner should get a look and I think he is better then Scott so eventually he will replace him as the 7th Dman. Falk could still use a year or two improving his game before he breaks into the NHL. I can't wait for Cuma to become a regular on our club but I think we will have to wait another year and then he can replace Johnsson and/or Zidlicky.

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals View Post
I don't think the signing of Cuma changes anything really, I'm still pretty sure he will spend the year in juniors and make up for the development he lost due to injury. Cuma will really have to impress or someone will have to have a serious injury very early for him to stick with the club. After that Scott is on a one way deal I think so he will start the year as the 7th Dman. I think Stoner should get a look and I think he is better then Scott so eventually he will replace him as the 7th Dman. Falk could still use a year or two improving his game before he breaks into the NHL. I can't wait for Cuma to become a regular on our club but I think we will have to wait another year and then he can replace Johnsson and/or Zidlicky.
I agree with that almost word for word, with only two exceptions. First off all, I think Cuma will probably see a season in Houston before he makes the big club. He seems very promising, but it's a hell of a jump for a defenseman to go straight from junior to the NHL. I'm not sure he'll be that polished by next year, but I'm certainly open to being pleasantly surprised. Second, from what I've read, I think Faulk may be ready to really take a big leap in his game this season. I think he'll get a couple of looks this year, and may be ready to make the jump next season.

In a perfect world, one in which everything goes in the most logical manner, Scott will be the 7th D coming out of camp. Stoner will be the first D called up when the injuries start, and if he does well, finish the season up here after we trade a vet (Johnsson, maybe?) at the deadline. Faulk shows promise over the course of the season, and has a legit shot at staying in St. Paul next September. Cuma follows the same general path as Faulk, a year behind him.

That's my best guess. But any way you look at it, we're finally in a decent position at D long term. It's nice to be able to talk about trading extra defensemen later in the season for playoff help, isn't it? It'd be nice to be able to move Johnsson sometime this year. I've always like the guy, but we're not getting anywhere near 5 million dollars worth of defenseman out of him, IMO. I'd like to trade him for a good forward and a prospect/pick, maybe free up some cap space as well. If we can get that for him, of course.

Last edited by Wild Thing: 07-11-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
a79krgm

I guess we must have depth at the blueline judging from Leopold's reasoning for not signing with the Wild. According to Russo, "Leopold turned down the Wild’s offer because he felt that with the Wild’s established top-five on the blue line, there would actually be a better opportunity for him to get ice time in Florida".

I do think, however that somehow Cuma will be the 7th defensman for the team ... which leaves me wondering what happens to John Scott. I Scott played surprisingly well when he got called up late last season.

Old
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
TeamSeals

Whats the benefit to Cuma to being a healthy scratch a majority of games a year after missing the majority of the year to injury. Cuma needs to play everyday and be the leader of a team and he can't go the the AHL so back to juniors is the most logical choice. I'd still rather see Stoner over Scott but that's a different story.

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 484
I don't think they'd keep Cuma if they don't see him playing regularly.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:48 PM
a79krgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals View Post
Whats the benefit to Cuma to being a healthy scratch a majority of games a year after missing the majority of the year to injury. Cuma needs to play everyday and be the leader of a team and he can't go the the AHL so back to juniors is the most logical choice. I'd still rather see Stoner over Scott but that's a different story.
I'm not saying that having Cuma in St. Paul they year is the best idea, but I still think he will be there. Burns and Bouchard hardly played and shouldn't have stayed with the big club in their first years, but they did anyway. Also, teenage defensmean are becoming the norm lately. Look at last year's rookies Bogosian, Schenn, Doughty. (and Pietrangelo almost stayed)

Old
07-19-2009, 10:37 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I'm not saying that having Cuma in St. Paul they year is the best idea, but I still think he will be there. Burns and Bouchard hardly played and shouldn't have stayed with the big club in their first years, but they did anyway. Also, teenage defensmean are becoming the norm lately. Look at last year's rookies Bogosian, Schenn, Doughty. (and Pietrangelo almost stayed)
Remember, the people responsible for Bouchard and Burns are no longer running the team. So anything that was done in years past is irrelevant at this point. Jacques likes to get his hands on prospects ASAP, and that's the reason why most of our top kids were up with the big team right away. But Jacques is gone, and we hardly know anything about Richards and his way of coaching to draw conclusions or make predictions.

I think that if Cuma had not suffered his injury, he would almost certainly get a long look for a spot this year. But the logical thing to do is to let him get that lost year back, by sending him back to juniors. Next summer, if he doesn't suffer any setbacks, I think he is pretty much a lock. Especially with the salary cap going down, I'm pretty sure both Cuma and Falk will be here.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I guess we must have depth at the blueline judging from Leopold's reasoning for not signing with the Wild. According to Russo, "Leopold turned down the Wild’s offer because he felt that with the Wild’s established top-five on the blue line, there would actually be a better opportunity for him to get ice time in Florida".

I do think, however that somehow Cuma will be the 7th defensman for the team ... which leaves me wondering what happens to John Scott. I Scott played surprisingly well when he got called up late last season.
I find it interesting Leopold only signed for 1 year with Florida. I'm guessing that may have to do with the fact Johnsson and Zidlicky will be UFA's after next season.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Mites View Post
I find it interesting Leopold only signed for 1 year with Florida. I'm guessing that may have to do with the fact Johnsson and Zidlicky will be UFA's after next season.
So will Hnidy and Scott.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Shane Goudie

I really like Cuma and want to say that he'll be the #6 guy this season, but I think Vito is right this one.

Shane Goudie is offline   Reply With Quote