HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Fox Sports on Directv shows a lot of their games...atleast I get to see a ton of them each year
Which one?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:08 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Which one?
I dont know what it is, but I have had it the past 4 years... I get to see a lot of WHL games mainly US based teams...every week they show 2-3 games...I love it...

Fox Sports Mountain or something like that...I never really check what it is, just love going through my guide and seeing WHL games...

Old
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I dont know what it is, but I have had it the past 4 years... I get to see a lot of WHL games mainly US based teams...every week they show 2-3 games...I love it...

Fox Sports Mountain or something like that...I never really check what it is, just love going through my guide and seeing WHL games...
I'll have to keep an eye out next year.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:30 AM
tyratoku

I'm disappointed.

Simply because I had told a few friends here at UND that Seth might be on the team next season and how amazing he is. I really looked forward to watching him every weekend and seeing him develop. Now I'll be confined to watching him on youtube. /selfish

Oh well, hopefully it's what is best for his development. I'll be cheering him on all the way. Unless he ends up on the Oilers

Old
05-08-2012, 04:15 AM
puckfan13

There it is.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:23 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Please do. I don't want it.
Me Neither.

The Oilers have enough talent up front.

We need a top end defenceman after we select Nail Yakupov

Old
05-08-2012, 06:01 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Great day for Winterhawks. Seems like they are doing things right. Every year first round talent coming up

Old
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Mike Johnston is doing a heck of a job.
He's also got his owners to thank as they're obviously the backbone of many of the situations the Winterhawks are able to have work out in their favour. I'm sure there were some pretty big promises made along the way to guys like Baertschi, Niederreiter and now Jones, and many of those promises wouldn't have just been hockey-related, if you catch my drift.

Quote:
I am not jumping up and down to be honest. If there is any team I am happy he goes to, Portland would be it... but I still feel he would develope better at NoDak then the WHL.

I just love dmen going the college route, especially those like Jones who need to hit the weight room a lot. Jones needs to get stronger as he grows into his frame. College helps a player do that better imo, but he wants to go the fast route I guess.

I will be cheering bigtime for him as he certainly is a highend player, but he has a bit to go before he is NHL ready...Portland is going to be loaded with US kids...I love that.
I have no problem with a player going the college route if they are a step behind in regards to development and are a bit of a late bloomer...but that's the opposite of what Seth is. I think he's almost NHL ready and is likely closer to NHL ready than any other D in the 2012 draft.

To me it makes more sense in this situation to go to the WHL, because regardless of where he plays he will only be there for one year. Might as well play an NHL-like schedule, like the WHL offers.

He said so himself that the scheduling in the WHL weighed into his decision big time.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:48 PM
bigbadbruins7

damn wanted to see him in the ncaa

Old
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
this kid is gonna be a stud as an 18 year old rookie. haven't been this excited about a prospect since Tavares.
what about the presumptive #1 over all pick in 2013 Nathan Mackinnon. He'd rate as a better prospect for sure than Jones.

Last edited by 2287: 05-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelace16 View Post
what about the presumptive #1 over all pick in 2013 Nathan Mackinnon. He'd rate as a better prospect for sure than Jones for sure.
Why for sure? Lots can happen in an entire year.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Killemdeader

http://whl.ca/article/live-webcast-w...al-announcment
Seems like they should be announcing the trade in half an hour, hopefully we'll hear specifics?

Old
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Portlands going to be loaded next year aswell !

Old
05-08-2012, 08:14 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
I am not jumping up and down to be honest. If there is any team I am happy he goes to, Portland would be it... but I still feel he would develope better at NoDak then the WHL.

I just love dmen going the college route, especially those like Jones who need to hit the weight room a lot. Jones needs to get stronger as he grows into his frame. College helps a player do that better imo, but he wants to go the fast route I guess.

I will be cheering bigtime for him as he certainly is a highend player, but he has a bit to go before he is NHL ready...Portland is going to be loaded with US kids...I love that.
Portland has an amazing strength and conditioning coach in Rich Campbell. Believe he oversaw one of the US Olympic teams? I think a guy like Jones will develop well wherever he goes; just glad I am going to get to see it first hand!

Old
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He's also got his owners to thank as they're obviously the backbone of many of the situations the Winterhawks are able to have work out in their favour. I'm sure there were some pretty big promises made along the way to guys like Baertschi, Niederreiter and now Jones, and many of those promises wouldn't have just been hockey-related, if you catch my drift.

I have no problem with a player going the college route if they are a step behind in regards to development and are a bit of a late bloomer...but that's the opposite of what Seth is. I think he's almost NHL ready and is likely closer to NHL ready than any other D in the 2012 draft.

To me it makes more sense in this situation to go to the WHL, because regardless of where he plays he will only be there for one year. Might as well play an NHL-like schedule, like the WHL offers.

He said so himself that the scheduling in the WHL weighed into his decision big time.
I think you guys are expecting a lot from this kid assuming he is going to be a pro right out of his draft. he very well could be, but he still needs to fill out and strengthen up...glad to hear Portland has a real good strength coach, and I am sure the schedule was a very important factor for Seth, I wish him luck and look forward to seeing him develope.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
chasespace

Quote:
what about the presumptive #1 over all pick in 2013 Nathan Mackinnon. He'd rate as a better prospect for sure than Jones.
Mackinnon is a forward, Jones is a defender. Entirely different games.

They'll most likely be the best in their respective area.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
i prefer defensemen over forwards.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Portland has an amazing strength and conditioning coach in Rich Campbell. Believe he oversaw one of the US Olympic teams? I think a guy like Jones will develop well wherever he goes; just glad I am going to get to see it first hand!
Yeah, they've been out hustling and out scoring folks in the 3rd period all season.

Jones is a natural athlete with a great coach, there shouldn't be any worries about strength and conditioning.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Riggins

Quote:
In the THN draft issue the brief 2013 preview has Jones at #1 and MacKinnon at #2.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
puckfan13

There are amazing trainers in Portland and Oregon in general for Jones to work with, it's a track and field hotbed, a lot of elite trainers in that region.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:22 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post
In the THN draft issue the brief 2013 preview has Jones at #1 and MacKinnon at #2.
It's the hockey news..... They're really not that great.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post
It is possible Mackinnon does not go first, but unlikely. Especially considering the team Halifax is going to have next year. Mackinnon is going to put up insane numbers.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
I think you guys are expecting a lot from this kid assuming he is going to be a pro right out of his draft. he very well could be, but he still needs to fill out and strengthen up...glad to hear Portland has a real good strength coach, and I am sure the schedule was a very important factor for Seth, I wish him luck and look forward to seeing him develope.
Peter Loubardias, former Sportsnet PBP guy and current scout for the Red Deer Rebels, said last night on Shaw that he's had several scouts tell him that Jones is NHL-ready, or atleast very very very close to it. He also said that he's heard that if Jones was in the 2012 draft he would be a lock to go top 3, potentially even 1st overall.

I don't think we are expecting too much.

I've seen the kid play numerous times with my own eyes. He's the real deal.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Having seen both around 5 times (not a whole lot, but I think I can comment at least), I would take Jones — assuming he doesn't hit a wall next season. The way he's able to play at his size and his age, it's something special — most guys that big are still very awkward looking at that age. Not to mention that he has great hockey IQ and seems like a very level-headed kid from his interviews.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Having seen both around 5 times (not a whole lot, but I think I can comment at least), I would take Jones — assuming he doesn't hit a wall next season. The way he's able to play at his size and his age, it's something special — most guys that big are still very awkward looking at that age. Not to mention that he has great hockey IQ and seems like a very level-headed kid from his interviews.
I can't see a team passing on MacKinnon when you factor in the tickets he will sell with the numbers he has and will put up plus the obvious comparisons that will be made to Crosby. A possible comparison could be Taveras vs Hedman and I don't think the Islanders regret that. Now if a defence needy team like the Oilers gets the first pick that obviously changes things.

Last edited by 2287: 05-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Closed Thread