HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelace16 View Post
I can't see a team passing on MacKinnon when you factor in the tickets he will sell with the numbers he has and will put up plus the obvious comparisons that will be made to Crosby. A possible comparison could be Taveras vs Hedman and I don't think the Islanders regret that. No if a defence needy team like the Oilers gets the first pick that obviously changes things.
Hedman isn't a comparable to Jones. At his size, strength, speed, skill, and intelligence, he's got the potential to be an absolute force. No slight to Hedman, but Jones has the chance to be a Chara-like presence on the blueline.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Beesfan

It's possible the Blue Jackets get Murray this year and Jones next year, giving them possibly one of the best group of defensemen in a generation. And, at long last, a team identity.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
It's possible the Blue Jackets get Murray this year and Jones next year, giving them possibly one of the best group of defensemen in a generation. And, at long last, a team identity.
As a Bj's fan, would you be more excited for Murray + Mackinnon or Murray + Jones?

Old
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelace16 View Post
I can't see a team passing on MacKinnon when you factor in the tickets he will sell with the numbers he has and will put up plus the obvious comparisons that will be made to Crosby. A possible comparison could be Taveras vs Hedman and I don't think the Islanders regret that. Now if a defence needy team like the Oilers gets the first pick that obviously changes things.
Right now I would be comparing Jones' potential to Chara or Pronger, not Hedman. This doesn't mean he will get there, but I think if he were eligible to be drafted this year he could've easily made the NHL next year. Anyway, it's just my opinion and it could very well change next year based on how they both perform and develop.

Last edited by Tiranis: 05-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
As a Bj's fan, would you be more excited for Murray + Mackinnon or Murray + Jones?
Jones +Mackinnon

Ryan Murray does not impress me.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Jones +Mackinnon

Ryan Murray does not impress me.
Well... you can't have both Jones and Mackinnon unless if you are gonna trade for a top 2 pick next year and finish in the bottom 2. (or win the lottery)

Old
05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
Well... you can't have both Jones and Mackinnon unless if you are gonna trade for a top 2 pick next year and finish in the bottom 2. (or win the lottery)

I know I was just kidding. If I'm Columbus I'm taking Grigorenko, although I know that's not a popular pick. I also think they won't be as terrible next year as they were this year.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Hedman isn't a comparable to Jones. At his size, strength, speed, skill, and intelligence, he's got the potential to be an absolute force. No slight to Hedman, but Jones has the chance to be a Chara-like presence on the blueline.
I think you're selling Hedman (as a prospect) short here. The bolded was the exact same thing said about Hedman when he was draft eligible. He had tons of hype around him during the 2008-2009 season, with some having him over one of the best CHL players in recent memory.

As for the comparison, I have yet to see Jones live (should change next year), so I can't really compare. That being said, I would be surprised if a defencemen is selected first overall. For various reasons, NHL teams shy away from taking a defencemen at the top of the draft.

Both MacKinnon and Jones are impressive talents, and it'll be an interesting upcoming year.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

If the Oil take Nail, then Columbus could have Murray and Jones... but if the Oil take Murray, then Columbus could go with Nail and Mackinnon.. or Nail and Jones... what is the best outcome?

Old
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
If the Oil take Nail, then Columbus could have Murray and Jones... but if the Oil take Murray, then Columbus could go with Nail and Mackinnon.. or Nail and Jones... what is the best outcome?
I don't see Columbus passing up on Mackinnon next year if they take Murray this draft.

What I think is going to happen to Columbus is

2012-2013

Ryan Murray+Nathan Mackinnon

Old
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Kershaw

Good lord, I doubt that Bartschi is going back down next year, but they would be absolutely stacked with Jones in the lineup. Simply unfair.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Good lord, I doubt that Bartschi is going back down next year, but they would be absolutely stacked with Jones in the lineup. Simply unfair.
Imagine that lineup? If somehow Bartschi Rattie Morrow stay, adding in Jones not to mention a year older Pouliot and Leipsic

Old
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Imagine that lineup? If somehow Bartschi Rattie Morrow stay, adding in Jones not to mention a year older Pouliot and Leipsic
Go completely crazy.....

Ryan Johansen and Nino Nieddereiter are sent down from their NHL teams, and Seth Jones joined this year?

= Memorial Cup Champions

Old
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Slowe

Here's an interview with Popeye Jones about his son's choice to go to Portland. There's a little bit of insight here, but not much. Most of the answers were a bit generic as to why Portland was a better fit than UND, but interesting none the less.

Slightly Chilled: The Merchant of Portland

Old
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
So happy to see Portland grabbing his rights.

If he's going to play for any WHL team, it's likely Portland.
Tri-Cities has a great team too...

Old
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
nafsregnar27

Finally it's official. If he believes Portland is the right path towards his development, I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in the NHL soon, not in the Atlantic of course.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Tri-Cities has a great team too...
I never said they didn't. With that being said, they will absolutely be taking a step back after losing several key guys up front and their star goalie in Rimmer.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:52 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I never said they didn't. With that being said, they will absolutely be taking a step back after losing several key guys up front and their star goalie in Rimmer.
The AMS are the same story every year. They have three elite overagers who light up the league and a goaltender who stands on his head every night. They didn't lose Rimmer by accident, he was traded to make way for Comrie who is easily their most talented goaltending prospect since Price. They'll take a step back that's for sure but if Tory has shown anything its that he knows where to find 20 year olds and how to evaluate a goaltender.

Portland adds a lot more than TC next year; thats for sure. We may not have seen the best Winterhawks team in the pipeline just yet.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
The AMS are the same story every year. They have three elite overagers who light up the league and a goaltender who stands on his head every night. They didn't lose Rimmer by accident, he was traded to make way for Comrie who is easily their most talented goaltending prospect since Price. They'll take a step back that's for sure but if Tory has shown anything its that he knows where to find 20 year olds and how to evaluate a goaltender.

Portland adds a lot more than TC next year; thats for sure. We may not have seen the best Winterhawks team in the pipeline just yet.
Another aspect is that Hiller is rumoured to be heading to Texas to start as the coach of the AHL's Texas Stars. That won't help things.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post

Sums up Tory's strategy nicely. Rimmer had a great year behind a deep, veteran team but TC has Long earmarked Comrie for the guy between the pipes.

Portland though have built a phenomenal pipeline.

Old
05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Ams1fan

It will be an interesting season for the Ams next year.

And if Hiller moves up, it could very likely be a "rebuild" type year. The Ams balance of talent at the forward spots between age groups is kind of a mess. After Feser and likely Mychan being 2 20 y/o forwards next year, the bulk of the talent falls on the young guys Williams, Rankin, and Stromwall. The Ams really do not have any top end 19 y/o forwards, only two talented but mostly unproven 18 y/o's in Rankin and Stromwall. The 17 age group looks promising (B. Williams is a stud), but the incoming 16's is huge question mark (the other Brian Williams still hasn't signed).

The Ams are setting up Comrie in a great situation for his draft year as most of their D corps will be back. If Ryckman is the 3rd 20, the Ams will have basically have a full 6 veteran Defensive lineup already set.

Scoring looks like it will be a big problem though, not surprising losing 3 100pt guys. If Bob can land a couple 18-19 y/o goal scorers (who are not easy or cheap to acquire) the Ams could be in the hunt for another 40 win season, but I just don't see it yet.

Getting back to the topic of Portland and Jones, it sounds like Jones will likely be a one and done guy anyway. It makes sense for Johnston to load up for next year again with the Blades having the Mem.Cup and therefore it being a possibly easier path to get there.

Personally I'm glad Jones is coming to the Dub, just not to a division foe. I can't believe I actually used to feel sorry for their team a few short years ago and now every other guy they have is a 1st round NHL pic. Junior hockey is cyclical, Portland's ride will have to cool off sometime. Hopefully come 2013-2014 when the Ams should be heating up again.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
hockeyGod

Has anybody gone to see any Portland pre-season games to report on how Jones has looked.
Also, maybe a mod can update this thread title so it says Portland.
Thanks

Old
09-03-2012, 08:15 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Seth apparently has played all 3 pre season games for Portland from what i can gather, also says that he didnt disappoint although being held off the score sheet all 3 games

Old
09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Seth apparently has played all 3 pre season games for Portland from what i can gather, also says that he didnt disappoint although being held off the score sheet all 3 games
He played in 2 of the 3 games and picked up 2 assists.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:42 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
He played in 2 of the 3 games and picked up 2 assists.
LOL......welllllllllllll isnt this embarrassing, sorry the little tidbits i read about the games made it sound like he played in all games and they didnt mention anything about pts, awful sorry

Closed Thread