HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Hes going http://blog.oregonlive.com/winterhaw...es_editio.html

I dont know why people just assume the CHL players wont go. I am sure USA Hockey contacted the CHL league to make sure they will release the players before announcing the roster
Because the CHL has no incentive to release players for meaningless games that don't promote the CHL. The World Juniors promote the CHL because nearly every team will have at least one CHL player, the CHL top prospects game showcases the top talent in the CHL, what does an American top prospects game do for the CHL? Who wants to bet they'll annouce Jones as a member of the US National Development team and not the Portland Winterhawks?

Old
09-23-2012, 06:17 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Adjustment period. He'll be fine.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
derriko

Oh I know, I was just commenting on some things I noticed. I guess I just thought he would be more developed though. I mean, even though hes considered a rook he is 17 which is older than most.

Hes gonna be a gamble considering where hes projected to go imo. He could be anything from just an ordinary top 6 guy to a #1. I know if I have a top 3 pick, I would look to get a more sure thing, I mean its not like Jones upside is much higher than players like Barkov, or Monohan, who are much better right now.

But again, 1 game early in the season is unfair to cement views on the guy.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Because the CHL has no incentive to release players for meaningless games that don't promote the CHL. The World Juniors promote the CHL because nearly every team will have at least one CHL player, the CHL top prospects game showcases the top talent in the CHL, what does an American top prospects game do for the CHL? Who wants to bet they'll annouce Jones as a member of the US National Development team and not the Portland Winterhawks?

Convince Americans to jump ship.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Oh I know, I was just commenting on some things I noticed. I guess I just thought he would be more developed though. I mean, even though hes considered a rook he is 17 which is older than most.

Hes gonna be a gamble considering where hes projected to go imo. He could be anything from just an ordinary top 6 guy to a #1. I know if I have a top 3 pick, I would look to get a more sure thing, I mean its not like Jones upside is much higher than players like Barkov, or Monohan, who are much better right now.

That's the case with any defenseman that's drafted. 17 and 18 isn't exactly the ideal age to evaluate that position.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Adjustment period. He'll be fine.
Agreed. He did have a very solid preseason, so not worried at all.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:

Completely disagree here. A guy who is thought of as a consensus top 3 pick has more potential than an ordinary top 6 guy, irregardless of his chances at becoming an elite #1.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Completely disagree here. A guy who is thought of as a consensus top 3 pick has more potential than an ordinary top 6 guy, irregardless of his chances at becoming an elite #1.
Lost all respect for you at «irregardless». Regardless, irregardless is not a word.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post
Lost all respect for you at «irregardless». Regardless, irregardless is not a word.
Irregard that

Old
09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Yes it is. It may be considered incorrect or non-standard English, but it is most certainly a word.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:13 AM
SmellOfVictory

Can we please stop saying "top 6" when referring to defencemen? That's the entire regular defensive corps; there's no need to add the qualifier of "top".

Old
09-24-2012, 12:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Watched him last night and thought he was damn good. Didn't play overly physical, but was great in positioning, used his stick well, had a few great long stretch passes and was constantly firing away with his big slapshot.

Interesting to note that he's essentially getting 3rd pairing minutes at even strength, but is getting lots of time on the PP.

He also registered his first career WHL point last night with a PP assist.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Watched him last night and thought he was damn good. Didn't play overly physical, but was great in positioning, used his stick well, had a few great long stretch passes and was constantly firing away with his big slapshot.

Interesting to note that he's essentially getting 3rd pairing minutes at even strength, but is getting lots of time on the PP.

That's where I see majority of his points coming from.

Yeah saw the game last night as well to me Bjorkstrand stood out the most.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That's the case with any defenseman that's drafted. 17 and 18 isn't exactly the ideal age to evaluate that position.
I disagree with that. Yea, nobodies a sure thing, but for example, watching Ryan Murray last year, you could just tell he was guaranteed to play in the NHL. I think theres just more risk factor than I would prefer for your average top 3 pick from what I saw. Its just my opinion though.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
derriko

Quote:

Odd. He started against Seattle, and played first pairing minutes all game. Though he played behind Pouliot and only got secondary pp minutes. I noticed his solid stick work and positioning, and his will to fire off his shot, but it looked really slow to me. Maybe he just flubbed the 2-3 slappers he tried to take. He did look overly nervous handling the puck, and even fell down on the blue line trying to stickhandle and caused a shorthanded 2 on 1.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Yes it is. It may be considered incorrect or non-standard English, but it is most certainly a word.
Just because I am in a trolling sort of mood... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

So, the dictionary recognizes it (and by definition it only recognizes words), but its dictionary entry says its not a word that is generally accept.

I vote no one is right!

Old
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

When is this kid (and his team) going to be on Sportsnet's Friday night CHL game? I want to see if he is all he is cracked up to be.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 09-24-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
09-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I disagree with that. Yea, nobodies a sure thing, but for example, watching Ryan Murray last year, you could just tell he was guaranteed to play in the NHL. I think theres just more risk factor than I would prefer for your average top 3 pick from what I saw. Its just my opinion though.
You didn't say anything about him not making the NHL. In fact, you said that you weren't sure where he'd fit amongst a team's six defensemen.

As someone that saw all three games he played this weekend, even in his weakest game, the one you watched, he still showed the tools that should put him in the NHL. He might fall short of being a star defenseman, but the same could be easily said for Murray.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
You didn't say anything about him not making the NHL. In fact, you said that you weren't sure where he'd fit amongst a team's six defensemen.

As someone that saw all three games he played this weekend, even in his weakest game, the one you watched, he still showed the tools that should put him in the NHL. He might fall short of being a star defenseman, but the same could be easily said for Murray.
Could you guys see Jones falling out of the Top 3 Picks?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Exit Dose

In the rankings or the draft?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

After 3 games played at a level he's never seen before, it is a bit early to judge.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
In the rankings or the draft?
Either. Both.

Full Discloser: I have only seen this kid play on a limited basis, however...

1) Our American friends / posters tend to over rate their players. I wonder if it is happening here.

2) The bloom is coming off the rose with Jones. A few months ago he was the undisputed number 1 pick. Now, according to Bob McKenzie, 10(?) scouts had him rated no higher than 2nd - and I see people questioning that.

I wonder if we are watching the defensive version of Phil Kessel.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 09-24-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
After 3 games played at a level he's never seen before, it is a bit early to judge.
Fair enough. Again, I hope Sportsnet makes his games available on Friday night and I can get a better perspective on the kid.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Xokkeu

Don't think he was ever an undisputed #1

Old
09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Don't think he was ever an undisputed #1
He wasn't.

Yes, he could fall out of the top 3 at the draft or in some of the scouts rankings, but at this point I'd say if it happened, I would take it as a repeat of the scenarios that happened with Doughty and Fowler. As a fan of a team that benefited from last minute second-guessing, I'm hoping that lightning strikes twice, since I don't expect us to have a top 3 pick in 2013.

Edit: Don't take that to mean that I don't think it's possible for him to fall short of expectations over the coming season. I just don't see that happening at this moment.

Closed Thread