HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 2009 draft review

Old
07-11-2009, 10:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers 2009 draft review

The Rangers selected seven players in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
free0717

Kind of bummed Kreider was invisible. I wanted Carter Ashton @ that spot.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Interesting to read that Dean Boylan was Kreider's coach at Andover. Older fans on the board will remember Dean as a player for the WHA New York Raiders. I had the pleasure of getting to know him when he played for the Syracuse Blazers in the North American Hockey League. He was a first class guy and very intelligent -- a graduate of Yale University. He knows what it takes to suceed in the pros.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:25 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I think the Rangers did a good job with the picks they had. I really like all of them. Even the Bourque pick. The kids got the pedigree and well worth spending a 3rd rounder on, despite his size. If we're lucky, he'll grow a couple of inches.

Still, I can't help but think that I'd rather have Samuelsson, Orlov, or even had taken a chance on Tatar with the #50 pick rather than have wasted it on Antropov to gain a loss in the first round.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
ecemleafs

who wrote the article?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Leslie, it says right on the article....

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:50 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

I am a little skeptical about Kreider. US high school draft picks haven't done much in the pros lately.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 05:35 AM
eco's bones

Kreider is a safe pick who could turn out huge. The reason he's safe is even if he doesn't pan out the way we hope he has the size and skating (which is phenomenal) to be an NHL'er at least on a 3rd line level. He is as much a kid at this point though as it's possible to be. The Rangers idea of him needing two years may be a bit optimistic--though if he went to St. John it might be more realistic. 3 years at BC anyway otherwise would be my opinion. The funny thing is one could have said almost the same things about Leetch when he was drafted out of Avon Old Farms--he was a 5'10" 170 lb. defensemen who some thought would only make it if he converted to center. That was a pick that a lot of people at that time didn't like.

Of the whole group Werek is probably closest now.

Anyway interesting that the Rangers were interested in Kassian as well who was definitely someone I liked. I know some hated him but that guy has an unique package. Would have loved if he dropped into our hands but that was never very likely.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 05:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Thanks as always, Leslie. Disappointed to hear that Kreider didn't stand out at prospect camp, but I'm willing to write that off as due to the shock of playing at this level for the first time. Grachev didn't look very good during his first exposure last year. Looking forward to the reports on Chris out of Travers City (if he goes) and then, more importantly, at BC/the QMJHL after he gets more acclimated.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
I am a little skeptical about Kreider. US high school draft picks haven't done much in the pros lately.
TJ Oshie, David Backes, Matt Niskanen, Chris Bourque, Matt Carle, Torrey Mitchell, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider.

All solid NHL players. you can say US HS's haven't been producing elite talent (as in top 3 picks), but you can't say that what they have produced "haven't done much"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
TJ Oshie, David Backes, Matt Niskanen, Chris Bourque, Matt Carle, Torrey Mitchell, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider.

All solid NHL players. you can say US HS's haven't been producing elite talent (as in top 3 picks), but you can't say that what they have produced "haven't done much"
Jack Johnson (Shattuck St. Mary's / 3rd Overall in 2005) and Erik Johnson (Academy of Holy Angels and NTDP / 1st Overall 2007).

EDIT: Found some more -

Blake Wheeler (Breck School / 5th Overall 2004, but took until this past season to develop)
Brian Lee (Moorhead High School / 10th Overall 2005)
Ryan McDonagh (Cretin-Derham Hall / 12th Overall 2007)

There are a few more but they are still considered prospects. I think it just takes players that are drafted out of USHS's a couple years more to develop then others.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 07-12-2009 at 09:10 AM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 09:03 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'm not worried that Kreider didn't stand out too much.

Its a prospect camp, he's got a couple of years to develop and work on his game.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Not to mention his season ended a long time ago and he only played what, like 30 games during his HS season? That combined its the first time he's playing with more mature players (MDZ / Gilroy / Grachev, etc). It's nothing to be worried about at all. I still think he was the best pick at that time.

It's going to take 3 or 4 years for his to develop fully, but when he does, its going to be worth it.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 09:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thanks, Leslie. Good work as always.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Guys, as pointed out above, there are many high school players that have done well in the NHL, so just the fact that Kreider was drafted out of USHS is not a problem. What I was trying to say with my comment that he is a high risk/high reward pick is that there were other players who were more of a sure thing to make the NHL that were available, just they would almost certainly not have the upside of Kreider.

As far as I know, Kreider will not be in Traverse City. BC will start classes during the tournament. Under NCAA rules, Kreider cannot be in an NHL camp, miss classes and still maintain his NCAA eligibility.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote