HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Bernier Is Growing Up

Old
07-11-2009, 10:36 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier Is Growing Up

Here's my first story from the Kings development camp...

Los Angeles Kings: Jonathan Bernier Is Growing Up

The raw audio from the interview is also available. Hope you'll post a comment on my blog...thanks!

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Sounds more like a kid who has learned to say the right things. Maturity isn't about words though. It's about action and follow through. Having a strong end to a season may show progress but it is far too early to judge his character and team first perspective.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:05 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Sounds more like a kid who has learned to say the right things. Maturity isn't about words though. It's about action and follow through. Having a strong end to a season may show progress but it is far too early to judge his character and team first perspective.
I thought about that, but during the interview, the impression I got was anything but that.

Old
07-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I love Quick, but I still look to Bernier as being the franchise #1 of the future. I really hope he gets it together and can be that player for us. I think he has a shot at a Calder Trophy when he is ready to go.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:39 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Thanks as always Gann.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:42 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I think the absolute best thing that can happen for the team as a whole is to have two young goaltenders like Quick and Bernier who are somewhat competing against each other for that #1 spot. They'll push each other to play better, and that will only be beneficial for the future of the team.

It's very similar to what Lombardi had in San Jose, when Kiprusoff was "the one" but was consistently tested by both Nabokov and Toskala.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I think the absolute best thing that can happen for the team as a whole is to have two young goaltenders like Quick and Bernier who are somewhat competing against each other for that #1 spot. They'll push each other to play better, and that will only be beneficial for the future of the team.

It's very similar to what Lombardi had in San Jose, when Kiprusoff was "the one" but was consistently tested by both Nabokov and Toskala.
That's exactly the kind of thing Lombardi is trying to do.

Old
07-12-2009, 02:50 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

I agree with most of what you said, but for the record Kiprusoff was never considered "the one" in San Jose. He was looked upon like Storr was looked upon when he was posting gaudy numbers playing as a backup. When Nabokov held out and his mettle was tested, he stunk up the joint. It wasn't until he landed in Calgary (after being essentially written off) that he started putting everything together. Point is, there was never a real competition in San Jose.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 04:19 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but for the record Kiprusoff was never considered "the one" in San Jose. He was looked upon like Storr was looked upon when he was posting gaudy numbers playing as a backup. When Nabokov held out and his mettle was tested, he stunk up the joint. It wasn't until he landed in Calgary (after being essentially written off) that he started putting everything together. Point is, there was never a real competition in San Jose.
Nabokov never played in Calgary...

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 05:22 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Nabokov never played in Calgary...
I believe he was referring to Kiprusoff.

Old
07-12-2009, 10:19 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
I believe he was referring to Kiprusoff.
Yes, thanks. See? This is why you're the writer and I'm not.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Hammond has his Bernier interview up on his blog, looks good to me. I think he gets some NHL time, if not this year, then next year for sure (which is obvious considering his contract and development), but I think he is about ready to take that next step, even if he is likely destined for another year in Manchester. Good to know that there is solid goaltending coming up through our system, so much so, that we are set with a quality goaltender no matter what happens.

Old
07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Captain Ron

I am still not convinced about Bernier....but he appears to have a good attitude which is part of making the transition to the NHL. Here is to hoping I am underrating the kid.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I am still not convinced about Bernier....but he appears to have a good attitude which is part of making the transition to the NHL. Here is to hoping I am underrating the kid.
Kinda like how you've continually underrated Thomas Hickey?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 07:04 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Everytime I've watched Bernier he's looked stellar..

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Kinda like how you've continually underrated Thomas Hickey?
Last time I checked he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

When he starts getting mentioned as a top defenseman in the NHL I will continue to say that selecting Hickey with the 4th overall pick in the 2007 draft was not the best option.

Old
07-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:

When he starts getting mentioned as a top defenseman in the NHL I will continue to say that selecting Hickey with the 4th overall pick in the 2007 draft was not the best option.
I think even Dean Lombardi would say that

Old
07-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:

And Lauri Tukonen is still young enough to become a solid NHL'er, right?

The ridiculous stances you take on certain players, with no discernible motivation, is why every one of your posts should be accompanied by a complimentary tablespoon of salt.

Old
07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
You haven't been proven right yet either.

Let's not have yet another Thomas Hickey debate based on assumptions and assessments that are entirely too premature.

Not to mention the thread is about Bernier...

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 07-12-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old
07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You haven't been proven right yet either.

- T
Hey, don't you know he put a picture of Patrick Kane in his avatar before the 2007 draft?! The guy is NEVER wrong.

Old
07-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
And Lauri Tukonen is still young enough to become a solid NHL'er, right?

The ridiculous stances you take on certain players, with no discernible motivation, is why every one of your posts should be accompanied by a complimentary tablespoon of salt.
Actually if you did any research you would see that I was not a fan of Tukonen....but I did think that Dean could have / should have gotten much more for him in a trade.

As for other issues.....I have had a pretty good track record for being correct on a lot of things since joining this site. That definitely does not mean I am right about everything....But so far the odds have been in my favor.

Old
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

Not to mention the thread is about Bernier...

- T
I agree....then again I am not the one who brought up other players.

Old
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Actually if you did any research you would see that I was not a fan of Tukonen....but I did think that Dean could have / should have gotten much more for him in a trade.

As for other issues.....I have had a pretty good track record for being correct on a lot of things since joining this site. That definitely does not mean I am right about everything....But so far the odds have been in my favor.
How? Busts with bad attitudes, who want to go home to Europe don't have a lot of value.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:21 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Actually if you did any research you would see that I was not a fan of Tukonen.
LOL... you were practically Tukonen's cheerleader. At one point you were annoyed that others didn't see him as a top talent and criticized another forum member that had seen him play numerous times live...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=255014

Everyone wants to hope for the best for these kids that are drafted, and at some point reality sets in that some may not pan out, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions after a player matures. To imply otherwise is ill-advised, particularly on a message forum that has several years of posting history easily accessible.

- T

Old
07-13-2009, 02:51 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
LOL... you were practically Tukonen's cheerleader. At one point you were annoyed that others didn't see him as a top talent and criticized another forum member that had seen him play numerous times live...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=255014

Everyone wants to hope for the best for these kids that are drafted, and at some point reality sets in that some may not pan out, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions after a player matures. To imply otherwise is ill-advised, particularly on a message forum that has several years of posting history easily accessible.

- T
Tukonen was a complete bust because of his attitude. He never worked hard in practice. At Manchester, he whined and complained about not playing on the top line, refused to work hard along the boards and in the corners while playing on the third and fourth lines because he thought he deserved to be on the first line, even though he wasn't really very close in talent to the players who had earned those spots.

Even in the last Kings training camp, he told the coaches that he thought he belonged with the Kings and on the first or second lines and that he didn't belong in the minors.

heh...good-bye Tukonen! Lombardi was a genius to get anything more than a bag of soiled jock straps for the guy.

Last edited by FrozenRoyalty: 07-13-2009 at 03:05 AM.