HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Possible Nik Zhedev suitors

Old
07-12-2009, 02:31 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
ATL:
I really can't see a team trading guys they just drafted, this doesn't happen too often. Maybe after a year or so, then they'll deal them, but you've got to figure that they recognize future team need and they just tried to plug the holes. What about a guy like Pavelec? Vally won't be the backup forever and the Rangers lack an heir to Henke's throne. With a young Lehtonen emerging as a solid backstop, perhaps Pavelec is expendable.
Management in Atlanta needs to put a good team around their franchise player or he is walking. Either Atlanta makes the financial commitment to put a winning team on the ice which convinces Kovalchuk to sign the extension or they should trade Kovalchuk this summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Callahan is missing from your line-up.
Blasphemy!

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

If Zherdev gets to arbitration,Cameron Hope is going to sharpen the knives and they are going to eat Zherdev for lunch in that hearing. Look at what they did with Avery's hearing and they were successful with him as soon as he joined the team from LA.

Old
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Callahan is missing from your line-up.
Haha, I'm an ass.

I think that just means that we have pretty good depth. Would it be wrong of me to say Gabby could go down and we'd be just as good depth wise as we were last year?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Blasphemy!

Frankly I saw it as a pretty good thing. Not that Callahan wasn't in his line-up but more so that we have an abundance of quality players to fill out a full four lines.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:39 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Haha, I'm an ass.

I think that just means that we have pretty good depth. Would it be wrong of me to say Gabby could go down and we'd be just as good depth wise as we were last year?

Quote:
Frankly I saw it as a pretty good thing. Not that Callahan wasn't in his line-up but more so that we have an abundance of quality players to fill out a full four lines.
Great minds obviously think alike.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Blasphemy!

Callahan is going to Edmonton for Gilbert

Old
07-12-2009, 03:59 PM
In The Flesh

now with Gabby and Kotalik, I'm much more interested in keeping Zherdev for another yr.

But if they have to toss him in to unload Rozi, bring it on

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Doing the math with the player's most mentioned around here, I have us sitting at 52.75 million. That's with Zherdev at 4 million, and everyone signed except Dubi and Cally.

Zherdev-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Korpikoski
Byers-Boyle-Brashear

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Rozsival
Gilroy-Potter

Lundqvist
Valliquette

Am I thinking we have about 8 million needing to sign Zherdev, Dubinsky, and Callahan?
Besides just missing Cally from the lineup you have 2 RW's on the top line and 2 LW's on the 2nd... at least as far as I know, and I could very well be wrong.

What about:
Kotalik-Drury-Gaborik (Gabby is our top line player, Dru and Kotalik have some history)
Higgins-Dubinsky-Zherdev (Dubi and Z played well together and Higgins could be a good compliment)
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan (I hate to put Cally on the 3rd, but it could be a good fit.
Donnie Brash-Boyle-???? (Byers/Voros/Korps) It's the 4th line...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Chris02NYR

what about
cally-dubinsky-gaborik(torts said wanted lefty to center gabby)
higgins-drury-kotalik(believe he can play either wing)
avery-anisimov-zherdev
korpedo-boyle-brashear

Chris02NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think Atlanta, SJ, and LA are realistic options for Z with Atlanta being the most likely.

I really really really don't see Nashville going for Zherdev, they already got burned by his buddy Radulov.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 06:21 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris02NYR View Post
what about
cally-dubinsky-gaborik(torts said wanted lefty to center gabby)
higgins-drury-kotalik(believe he can play either wing)
avery-anisimov-zherdev
korpedo-boyle-brashear
I really hope we keep Z.. Those lines look great, I really like that 3rd line, Avery is good for 15-20 goals, Anisimov 10-15 and Z with 20-25. And who knows what could happen if Ani or Z break out?

Love the forward depth. Just trade Rosi for a 2 million dollar Dman or picks/prospects(and sign Morris) and I think we are set.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
I really hope we keep Z.. Those lines look great, I really like that 3rd line, Avery is good for 15-20 goals, Anisimov 10-15 and Z with 20-25. And who knows what could happen if Ani or Z break out?

Love the forward depth. Just trade Rosi for a 2 million dollar Dman or picks/prospects(and sign Morris) and I think we are set.
Exactly what I am hoping for.......I think its doable and they have till the 31 st to get that done since thats when the Arbitration hearing is

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Nikolai Zherdev's arbitration hearing is scheduled for July 31 which gives Glen Sather extra time to straighten out the Zherdev situation. The hearings run from July 20-August 4.

Atlanta-Thrashers GM Don Waddell wants to lock up Ilya Kovalchuk ASAP but the agent Jay Grossman is not ready to talk contract extension. The Thrashers signed Nikolai Antropov(4 years/$16.25 million)and acquired Pavel Kubina for Garnet Exelby. You get the feeling the Kovalchuk camp wants to see more improvements before Ilya puts his signature on a new deal. Atlanta has the cap space to satisfy Zherdev's salary demands.

Price-Carl Klingberg or Jeremy Morin plus a 3rd round pick in 2010.

Carolina-Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has a salary headache of his own in Anton Babchuk who is demanding $1 million more than Rutherford is offering.Babchuk made $1 million last season. Tuomo Ruutu also filed for salary arbitration. The Canes want to re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal but they are a little leery of his injury history and contract demands.

Price-A deal involving either Ruutu or Babchuk.

Edmonton-Oilers GM Steve Tambellini has not made a single move to improve the team. He went to Dany Heatley's house on bended knee to convince Heatley to come to Edmonton. The Oilers need more offense. They couldn't afford to pay Ales Kotalik $3 million due to their cap situation.Denis Grebeshkov filed for salary arbitration. Robert Nilsson is available but he is signed for two more seasons worth $2 million per. His old man was nicknamed the "Magic Man" for his high skill level and his tendency to disappear on the ice. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Patrick O'Sullivan is a nice player. Ladislav Smid is available.

Price-Grebeshkov. He will be too expensive for them when they already have too many dollars allocated on defense.

Nashville-Preds GM David Poile is in the market for more offense after Alexander Radulov decided to remain in Russia. Nashville is loaded in youth and defensemen. Dan Hamhuis will be a group III next summer. Cody Franson is on the cusp of making the NHL. Guys like Wilson and Blum aren't available. They have the salary cap room to pay Zherdev.

Price-Zach Budish and a 3rd round pick in 2010

Minnesota-Minnesota GM Chuck Fletcher needs more offense. He tried to sign Saku Koivu. Martin Havlat is a replacement for Marian Gaborik. Marek Zidlicky would fit the Rangers needs. Is Josh Harding available to spin off in another deal?

Price-Zidlicky. Harding plus and then getting assets for Harding.

Phoenix-They have mentioned as a possibility with Alex Tanguay but their ownership ordeal has to be taken care of before anything can be done.
Grebeshkov for Zherdev makes a lot of sense to me from both sides. The salary cost is in the same range so it is revenue neutral for both teams. I proposed on teh trade board a larger package like this:

To NYR: Cogliano, Nilsson and Grebeshkov

to Edm: Zherdev and Dubinsky

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The Rangers wouldn't move Dubi in that package unless it netted a serious upgrade in center, which Cogliano isn't at this moment, and I doubt Sather would have any interest in Nilsson.

Not to mention, that deal would probably bring back more cash than it would open up, which wouldn't make sense either from the Rangers standpoint.

To get the Rangers to move Dubi, I'd imagine you'd have to include O'Sullivan, at the least.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Ola

Its time to correct a misstake and get Marek Zidlicky!

Seriously, Zherdev for Zidlicky could work out pretty well. Zid is definitly a very talented PPQB. Offensivly at 31 years of age he could definitly have his 3-4 best offensive years infront of him, and you won't get a better PPQB for 3,2m per. Atleast not the kind we need -- in other words, someone with agility to run a blueline. Someone who can get a PK box moving and open up lanes.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Esa 10

Chayos wrote:

"Grebeshkov for Zherdev makes a lot of sense to me from both sides. The salary cost is in the same range so it is revenue neutral for both teams. I proposed on teh trade board a larger package like this:

To NYR: Cogliano, Nilsson and Grebeshkov

to Edm: Zherdev and Dubinsky"

The Rangers are at best adequate at center right now. Cogliano is atrocious on face-offs. He's a winger as of now and in the foreseeable future. Regardless of value, the Rangers can't afford to trade a center for winger/s.

As a sidenote, if Tortorella had any interest in coaching a player of Nilsson's temperament, the Rangers wouldn't be (possibly) looking to move an infinitely more talented version in Zherdev themeselves.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:29 AM
eco's bones

Some good ideas but--

if the Rangers weren't going to move Dubinsky for Heatley it's unlikely they're going to move him along with Zherdev for a lesser package--Grebeshkov, Cogliano and I don't even know why we'd want Nilsson.

I'd be fine with just Zherdev for Grebeshkov.
I'd be fine with getting Zidlicky as well.

I could see Atlanta trading either Morin + or Klingberg +--keeping in mind they were both 2nd's and the main guy for Atlanta in the draft was Evander Kane. I might try to get the + turned from a third into a second.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:48 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
I think most of us would do the same.

But unless Sather has a few cap-clearing tricks up his sleeve, we simply cannot afford to re-sign Zherdev.

Based on how he ended the season, and the type of players Torts + Slats are targetting, I really don't see him returning. I think our depth at wing is better than last season, but having Zherdev in the picture could be the difference between good, and exceptional.

I'm torn. I can't commit myself to a scenario that completely pleases me. Torts is such a good coach, and Zherdev does have more potential than any forward on this roster, aside from Gaborik. Setting him up for success, could be very rewarding.

If we move Rozy, or Redden, we'll be going into next season with a 75% change at defense. I can't see Slats doing that. Unless one of them are moved, Zherdev is a goner.

So the few scenario's people have been posting really is better than nothing, which is what I think all of us want to avoid. Losing an asset (A top-4 winger) for nothing.
If Sather could get quality in return for Gomez then I have faith that he can get something for Zherdev. I'd love to see the Rangers keep him and all the other RFA's.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I really really really don't see Nashville going for Zherdev, they already got burned by his buddy Radulov.
Unless bringing Zherdev aboard opens the door to luring Radulov back to Nashville.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
darko

Ehhh I wouldn't touch Zidlicky with a 10-foot pole.

IMO best return would be Morin (a guy I wanted Rangers to draft) and 3rd rounder in 2010...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:35 AM
NY Ranger86

Best Zherdev suitor would be.... THE NEW YORK RANGERS!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
AXN

Kotalik does have a good shot from the point. It could be Rozsival.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
hashmarks

Think of it this way: Hudler was in a similar situation: he was about to file for arbitration and he got the big deal from Dynamo.

Zherdev is russian and he didn't get squat.

The jackets getting Tyutin for him was the biggest return Zherdev was going to command. With all due respect these scenario's are laughable.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
If Sather could get quality in return for Gomez then I have faith that he can get something for Zherdev. I'd love to see the Rangers keep him and all the other RFA's.
Except that Gomez actually has cared about his team in the past and has accomplished something in the league...otherwise, a great comparison.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote