HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who Will Win the STANLEY CUP???

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Schenn02

vCash: 500
A Canadian team will win it this year. No I'm not joking but I would like to think so, we have many good teams this year and we truly have a chance!

Old
03-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The East is really tight right now. No one is dominant, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the teams from the NE make it to the Cup Finals. They all have their weak spots:

Ottawa - Goaltending
Toronto - Defense
Boston - Depth
Montreal - Depth

and in the other divisions

Philly - Goaltending
Tampa - Goaltending

I think Ottawa has the best shot to reach the Cup out East. All they require to be big favorites is for Lalime to get hot. The guy is just loony enough to do a 180 starting with game 1... we'll have to wait and see. My dark horse is Tampa Bay, but I feel kind of silly saying that, given how well they're playing. They're only a dark horse because no one outside of Tampa believes they can win against the better teams. I think they can....

Out West I don't see anyone that is in a class with Detroit. They're going to be hungry and well-prepared after last year, goalies included. Not to mention, they've got Hatcher back now. As for the rest, there are some talented teams but all with bigger weaknesses than Detroit.

Colorado - no shortage of talent, but a real shortage of hungry players IMO. Sakic and Foote can't do it all. I still say getting rid of Drury and Vrbata were both dumbass moves on the part of LaCroix.

Dallas - the best shot after Detroit of making the Finals IMO. They have plenty of offense up front and some good snipers as well. Their D isn't as good as yesteryear, but it's still better than most. And Turco will be solid as always I suspect. Dallas' worst enemy is probably Dallas. If they can come together as a team and really bear down, they could give Detroit a run for the money.

Calgary - more or less a completely untested playoff team. I think they just lack the depth to make a long run into the playoffs, but who knows....

Vancouver - no Bert + no dependable goalie = no Cup. If Rucinsky and Sanderson perform well they could make the Conference Finals, but I doubt it (sadly for me).

If Ottawa and Detroit meet, I think it's a toss-up, as that will mean Lalime will have "found himself" and played like he hasn't all year. If Detroit meets anyone else from the East, they will win in 6 or less IMO. Beyond that, if Dallas or Colorado gets there, there are a host of possible scenarios. Overall though I like Detroit.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 03-30-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan
Heart says Habs over Flames in 5 games, Revenge is sweet from 1989 down with Lanny!!
Behind Theo's brilliant conn smythe performa nce.
Head says Habs over Wings in 7
Why so much hate for Lanny? It wasn't even him that scored the cup winning goal!

Old
03-30-2004, 06:21 PM
tinfoilcup

All Canadian Final Ottawa defeats Calgary in 6 games

Ottawa's ready to take the next step and I'd pick Detroit but there's no Scotty Bowman and the Joseph/Legace combo doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

It really hurts to pick Ottawa since i'm a Leafs fan but i'm being realistic. :troll:

Old
03-30-2004, 06:41 PM
jstreim

There are too many factors in deciding a winner, but My guess is Detroit will come out of the west. No other team possesses the tools that the Wings display.

As for the east, there are 5 teams that could win it IMO.

Possible Eastern conference foes:

Tampa: Their defense can hold fort and makie it easy on the goalies, and their offense can put up enough goals to provide cushion. The question mark falls on the goaltending. If either Khabibulin or Grahame chokes, then they will be hitting the greens quite early.

Ottawa: Same situation as Tampa with more offense and less defense. Lalime will be relied upon more heavily, so his play will dictate whether they are in or out.

Toronto: They have the tools to make it, but If they take costly penalties or end up in a physically excruciating series, they won't last.

New Jersey: What can I say, they are the defending champs, but Stevens doesn't return, they likely won't make it to the conference finals. Count on either Hrdina and Kozlov to somehow play out of their minds. Lamerellio's oddball trades always seem to add up in the postseason.*

* See Grant Marshall.

Boston: The only way Boston might win the cup is if Raycroft goes on a miracle run similar to Giguere's. Unlike Anaheim, they have the tools in front of him to finish the job. He's only a rookie, so I woudn't count on too much out of him. Since goaltending is the alpha and the omega in the postseason, that may be too much pressure for young Raycroft to handle (then again, maybe not).

Teams in the east that don't have a shot (Barring miracles):

NY Islanders. They are lead in scoring by a rookie, and they are lacking in the leadership department. DiPietro's lack of playoff experience is another factor that should be taken into consideration.

Philadelphia: They are perennial choke artists in the playoffs. Esche might have a nervous breakdown. They don't have much depth on defense either. They traded it away (therien and weinrich).

Montreal: They don't have a strong enough team in front of Theodore. Their offense looks pretty good, but defense is a huge void.

Optimistically: Tampa over Detroit in a thriller
Realistically: Detroit over Tampa

Last edited by jstreim: 03-30-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
PK*

My heart says Montreal but my head tells me Tampa.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Tyrolean

Anyboby but the Devils. Tampa Bay as underdogs.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:01 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
The Pittsburgh Penguins will come and steal the Stanley Cup.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
In my opinion, I don't think NJ or Philly will go far. They are slated to face each other in the first round and that is gonna be a physical as hell series. They are gonna be beating the living snot out of each other.

Same goes for Toronto and Ottawa. I think that if they meet, they will just be too worn down. Even a 5 game series would destroy either team, let alone a 6 or 7.

My pick....Detroit over TB in 6 games.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBRUINS19
No love for my Bruins
nope

over .

but please please be this: OVER

btw this is off topic but these are nice smilies but wheres the rolly eyes one? dont tell me it offends people mods?

Last edited by Youreallygotme: 03-30-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 11:26 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
CONFERENCE finals

MONTREAL vs OTTAWA

DETROIT vs SAN JOSE

finals

OTTAWA vs DETROIT

WINNER OTTAWA IN 7!

Old
03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
haakon84

I'm gonna say New Jersey vs. SJ.

NJ in 6

Old
03-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Magnumteemu

I think the sharks definitely need more consideration to be at least in the western conference finals...i have been a sharks fan all of my life and never has there been another year where i thought the sharks had a better chance to go to the western conference finals and even the stanley cup...Out east i see devils and lightning in the finals with the lightning in seven

Sharks V Lightning
Sharks in 7

Old
03-31-2004, 12:06 AM
jstreim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumteemu
I think the sharks definitely need more consideration to be at least in the western conference finals...i have been a sharks fan all of my life and never has there been another year where i thought the sharks had a better chance to go to the western conference finals and even the stanley cup...Out east i see devils and lightning in the finals with the lightning in seven

Sharks V Lightning
Sharks in 7

That would be one of the most exciting (and lowest rated) cup finals possible this year. Both play wide open, and I like both teams. Though I will be dissapointed if SJ wins the cup rather than Tampa, I'd rather see SJ win than any other team (excluding the Lightning of course).

Old
03-31-2004, 12:15 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
The East is really tight right now. No one is dominant, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the teams from the NE make it to the Cup Finals. They all have their weak spots:

Boston - Depth
How is it that depth is a weak spot for the Bruins?

Old
03-31-2004, 12:18 AM
jstreim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
How is it that depth is a weak spot for the Bruins?

Nylander gets hurt, who replaces him? Bergeron?

What about Travis Green? if he goes down, they have Andy Hilbert ready to step up.

Common pattern? They are rookies!!

Old
03-31-2004, 12:19 AM
emmjayb

Detroit over Dallas in the West. Ottawa over Philly in the East. Detroit drinks from Stanley.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:26 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
Boston: The only way Boston might win the cup is if Raycroft goes on a miracle run similar to Giguere's. Unlike Anaheim, they have the tools in front of him to finish the job. He's only a rookie, so I woudn't count on too much out of him. Since goaltending is the alpha and the omega in the postseason, that may be too much pressure for young Raycroft to handle (then again, maybe not).
On paper it's one thing, in reality it's another. I've watched Raycroft closely all season and his unflappable nature and strong character are two good reasons why he doesn't get rattled. The guy is emotionally tough. Moreover, he's been extremely consistent all season, to the point you'd almost forget he's a rookie. Aside from that, a majority of the Bruins games this season have been decided by one goal or less, which explains why they broke the NHL's record for most overtimes in a season. In other words, Raycroft has been used to pressure all season long. Add it up and I think the chances of him folding under are near non-existent.

As far as who ends up in the finals, who the freeek knows. I can say I hope to see a Boston-San Jose series...

Old
03-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
There are too many factors in deciding a winner, but My guess is Detroit will come out of the west. No other team possesses the tools that the Wings display.

As for the east, there are 5 teams that could win it IMO.

Possible Eastern conference foes:

Tampa: Their defense can hold fort and makie it easy on the goalies, and their offense can put up enough goals to provide cushion. The question mark falls on the goaltending. If either Khabibulin or Grahame chokes, then they will be hitting the greens quite early.

Ottawa: Same situation as Tampa with more offense and less defense. Lalime will be relied upon more heavily, so his play will dictate whether they are in or out.

Toronto: They have the tools to make it, but If they take costly penalties or end up in a physically excruciating series, they won't last.

New Jersey: What can I say, they are the defending champs, but Stevens doesn't return, they likely won't make it to the conference finals. Count on either Hrdina and Kozlov to somehow play out of their minds. Lamerellio's oddball trades always seem to add up in the postseason.*

* See Grant Marshall.

Teams in the east that don't have a shot (Barring miracles):

NY Islanders. They are lead in scoring by a rookie, and they are lacking in the leadership department. DiPietro's lack of playoff experience is another factor that should be taken into consideration.

Philadelphia: They are perennial choke artists in the playoffs. Esche might have a nervous breakdown. They don't have much depth on defense either. They traded it away (therien and weinrich).

Montreal: They don't have a strong enough team in front of Theodore. Their offense looks pretty good, but defense is a huge void.

Optimistically: Tampa over Detroit in a thriller
Realistically: Detroit over Tampa
So much bashing of the Montreal defense.. people don't seem to notice that they are one of the top defensive teams in the league this year.. mostly because of Theo.. but also because of a good defensive corps.. Souray, Brisebois,Markov have all been amazing this year. Quintal and Rivet were solid. Bouillion was the biggest surprise and not much is said about him.. he is amazing..

Old
03-31-2004, 12:37 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Nylander gets hurt, who replaces him? Bergeron?

What about Travis Green? if he goes down, they have Andy Hilbert ready to step up.

Common pattern? They are rookies!!
If Nylander get's hurt, Bergeron or Green replaces him. Either can play center. If anything, Green takes the draws and Bergeron moves to the slot after (or just stays at wing). What's the issue? Have you watched either play? Green excelled over the last month when he was bumped to the second line. And Bergeron is the real deal. The kid is a rock with a craft, intelligence and and terrific hockey sense.

As for what happens if Green goes down, maybe you don't know it, but now that Bergeron is back, Green's role is mostly on the 4th line. The Bruins have him, Donato, Zamuner, Grosek and McDonald back there, all of who can contribute. So his loss could be absorbed.

The fact is, depth is not an issue. If anything, the Bruins weakness is in their top-4. They have varying profficiencies, but their's no shut-down guy.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:40 AM
BoatMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
If Nylander get's hurt, Bergeron or Green replaces him. Either can play center. If anything, Green takes the draws and Bergeron moves to the slot after (or just stays at wing). What's the issue? Have you watched either play? Green excelled over the last month when he was bumped to the second line. And Bergeron is the real deal. The kid is a rock with a craft, intelligence and and terrific hockey sense.

As for what happens if Green goes down, maybe you don't know it, but now that Bergeron is back, Green's role is mostly on the 4th line. The Bruins have him, Donato, Zamuner, Grosek and McDonald back there, all of who can contribute. So his loss could be absorbed.

The fact is, depth is not an issue. If anything, the Bruins weakness is in their top-4. They have varying profficiencies, but their's no shut-down guy.
My personal question for you is, how's Gonchar been doing so far? I saw in some highlights they were referring to him "giving away the puck" whenever the B's were scored on, but has he been good so far?

OR, at the very least, is it at least hard to see his defensive mistakes?

Old
03-31-2004, 12:41 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

I just love it how these "experts" think they know everything about all these teams. They'd be much better off letting the people who follow those teams closely speak for them instead...

Old
03-31-2004, 12:42 AM
ohlund2.2

I have a feeling it's Dallas and Ottawa...Stars taking it in 6.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:57 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
My personal question for you is, how's Gonchar been doing so far? I saw in some highlights they were referring to him "giving away the puck" whenever the B's were scored on, but has he been good so far?

OR, at the very least, is it at least hard to see his defensive mistakes?
Good question. No, it's hasn't been hard to see his mistakes. He has definitely made some bad ones. The thing you have to consider is the overall. In essence, the good far outweighs the bad. For one, the guy can log 25-30 mins a game of mostly productive defense. Two, he has the skill and composure to deftly make the needed plays down low in order move the puck out of the defensive zone. Three, he has the instincts and abilties to make things happen from the redline down. He's especially dangerous as the late man looking for backdoor goals. Four, he's a pure powerplay QB, not that many are better. Five, he skates well, has decent speed and tremendous vision, each of which helps you break through the trap. Six, he has a good attitude and wants to win.

So in the end, the occaisonal gaffes are made up not just by the offensive element he provides, but the overall dimension it adds to the Bruins game. His excellent skill and speed help to power the Bruins transition game, a fundamental strategy shift that has enabled the Bruins make more use of the speed at forward. His vision and offensive prowess have provided the Bruins with that backline threat that they didn't have. Before, the opponent would collapse down on their forwards during the cycle. In the end, the overall impact he has had extends far beyond the offense. With that in mind, the occaisonal mistakes, though quite deadly at times, are much more livable. Hope this made sense.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlund2.2
I have a feeling it's Dallas and Ottawa...Stars taking it in 6.
My honest thoughts would be:

Toronto vs Ottawa: Toronto in 6
Boston vs Montreal: Boston in 7
New Jersey vs Philly: Philly in 5
TB vs NYI: NYI in 6

Toronto vs Philly: Toronto in 6
Boston vs NYI: Boston in 5

Toronto vs Boston: Toronto in 5

Don't know the West too well, but I'm expecting Detroit/Colorado Conference finals, Detroit in 6.

When it comes down to Detroit vs Toronto: Toronto in an OT game 5, with either Brian Leetch, Eddie Belfour, or Gary Roberts taking the Conn Smythe, and with Sundin handing the Cup DIRECTLY to Gary.

Go ahead and dismiss it if you think a Leafs fan saying the Leafs is wrong, but that's my call, like it or not. (no disrespect meant to any teams...)

Closed Thread