HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carcillo - fan favorite or scapegoat?

Old
07-07-2009, 01:26 PM
KL*

vCash: 500
Carcillo - fan favorite or scapegoat?

Avs-Yotes fan here, but I come in peace! Take it easy on me!

I'm just curious how you guys like Dan Carcillo. He was a huge fan favorite in Phoenix his rookie year, but then didn't get much of an opportunity to play last year before the trade. When the trade went down, I couldn't think of a better place for Carcillo to end up. I figured you guys would welcome him with open arms, because he's just your type of player.

Now you've got Ian Laperriere too. Wow. You're going to be a VERY tough team to play against. All grit.

KL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

This thread is definitely asking for Civil War 2 to happen on this board.

Ill say one thing. About half of us hate him, and the other half love him, while pretty much everyone liked Upshall (our last fan favorite).

(Im in the dont like btw)
(I would make a thread titled "Do you like Danny Carcillo" but I think the thread would reach 1000 posts in a day.)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
This should be fun. Personally, I don't like him at all.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i like him, but i bear a grudge that he made upshall poof. i'll be better prepared to judge based on how he performs this season.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I don't like him.

He hasn't done anything that has made me direct any anger towards him, though (the playoff suspension was a farce). As long as he keeps his attitude in check and stupid penalties to a minimum, he could do well in Philly.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ill say one thing. About half of us hate him, and the other half love him, while.
Yeah, whenever a fan favorate is traded, the guy comming back for him really is in a bit of a tough spot. I happen to like Carcillo, but I completely understand the other side of the arguement.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
JSTAFF

You will find in this thread that people will contionously ***** that we lost Scottie Upshall, a 3rd line energy player, for another 3rd line energy player. Even if it was so we could have Briere and Giroux both in our lineup. Lets see now:

Giroux Briere Carcillo (=, <, >) Upshall Vaananan Metropolit

Feel free to choose the appropriate sign.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Haute Couturier

As most have said, people either love him or hate him. It didn't help that the trade that brought him to us favored Phoenix and some believe his fight began the meltdown in game 6 of the playoffs.

Me I am indifferent. I am not a fan of the trade that brought him here. He didn't show me a lot when he was here. I think his supporters overrate him a bit when they say he is the same as Upshall, but I hope we can develop him into a recent role player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Yeah, whenever a fan favorate is traded, the guy comming back for him really is in a bit of a tough spot. I happen to like Carcillo, but I completely understand the other side of the arguement.
Spot on.

The fact that Holmgren tossed the 2nd in the deal, just made it that much more difficult of a hill for Carcillo to climb.

I'll take great pleasure when Carcillo has more than 7 goals come March 4th, and Upshall has put his team on the PK more than Carcillo has.

Maybe then we can end some of this madness.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
You will find in this thread that people will contionously ***** that we lost Scottie Upshall, a 3rd line energy player, for another 3rd line energy player. Even if it was so we could have Briere and Giroux both in our lineup. Lets see now:

Yeah, because Upshall prevented us from having Briere and Giroux in the lineup.

It was the Carle trade that screwed us under the cap and their commitment to an injured Jones cost us.

It should be Upshall, Metropolit, Vaananan, and a 2nd > Carcillo and Jones.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I am actually curious. Can a mod or the OP start a poll in this thread or another.

Do you like Dan Carcillo?

Yes
No

I actually want to see the results lol. I don't think its against the rules to have a poll like that.
(Maybe even add a "I dont care" option)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I didn't like the trade when announced due to the price it cost the Flyers... BUT, I did understand why Homer had to make the deal -- or at least why he felt he had to make the trade -- to allow Giroux to stay up with the big club when an injury on D occurs... and to avoid having to fit Upshall in under the Cap this coming season. I trusted Homer in his saying that the Flyers fans would love Carcillo; I felt that the Flyers had coveted Carcillo and had them in their radar for a while... I was willing to give him a chance, knowing that the deal may never really be considered a win for the Flyers, due to the circumstances and what they gave up.

With that said; over the course of the stretch and postseason, Carcillo didn't prove to me that he deserved a roster spot... Furthermore, Carcillo IMO is now an excess player in his role with the team as it is now made up. I'd like to shed about $400K in salary and move him, replacing him with a hungry AHL player at the NHL minimum.

I do not hate the player... I merely would like to see him moved. Each spot and role is so very important in the Cap Era of the 'New' NHL; the Flyers are better served with him replaced... Lappy to me has sealed his fate.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post

First of all, Upshall showed in Phoenix he can be more than a 3rd line energy player if given the ice time......Second, Upshall was a popular guy with his teammates.....Third, Carcillo didnt even show he was capable of being on the 3rd line in his short time here last year. Finally, you miss the whole point of the reason why, at least, some of us were upset....We wouldnt have had to trade Upshall for Carcillo if our GM wasnt a moron last year and made stupid moves....All they needed to do was waive Jones and all would have been fine, but god for bid we move the coach's lover.....This is what pissed me off, not specifically the Upshall for Carcillo in and of itself.

Personally, I have yet to see anything from him that gives me any indication that he is as good as Upshall at this point.....Although, I will certainly give him this season.

Briere, Giroux, Upshall, Vaananen, Metropolit >>>>> Briere, Giroux, Jones, Carcillo

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Spot on.

The fact that Holmgren tossed the 2nd in the deal, just made it that much more difficult of a hill for Carcillo to climb.

I'll take great pleasure when Carcillo has more than 7 goals come March 4th, and Upshall has put his team on the PK more than Carcillo has.

Maybe then we can end some of this madness.

Exactly.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If he can actually score a few goals he'll be ok

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Carcillo is not a fan favorite, at least not yet.

I personally dont care much for him, since I liked Upshall.

However, I will give him a chance this season.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
XS Chop

I'm fine with him so far, hoping to see some things this year that push me over to the love him side. I am as big a fan of Upshall as anyone and in an apples to apples situation I'd much rather have him on this team. At the same time, I think the irrational backlash Carcillo has received from the haters of that trade is pretty much completely unwarranted. Grasping at any straw they find in their arguments and failing to give an inch even when pure simple facts prove them wrong, it's been a bit embarrassing really. Carcillo didn't broker that deal, any blame for it shouldn't be directed at him IMO. I'm hoping for him to do some things early in the season to take some of the pressure off him, at least on this board.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Defmincex13

Carcillo is fine and dandy i enjoy him. He isnt any better then Upshall in my mind. Why people loved Upshall so much to automatically not like Carcillo is baffling. Id me more concerned if we traded a Parent or Sbisa at the time.

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I despise Carcillo, but not because of the reasons people listed on here. When I see Dan Carcillo, I see a player who does have skill and who could be a 40 to 50 point scorer in the league. He definitely showed in junior hockey that he's got good skills and he can be an effective hockey player. What bugs me the most about Carcillo is that he's gotten away from that and has decided to be a middle weight thug instead. Every year from junior right up to the NHL, his point totals have consistently gone down and his penalty minutes have increased substantially. At this point, someone needs to sit down with Dan and ask him what he wants to do with his career. Does he want to be an effective third line player or does he want to be a dick head goon? If he chooses the route of goon, then I'd rather see someone like Nodl or Maroon get the third line spot and Carcillo be shipped out somewhere else.

It's a shame too because there is skill there, but he chooses to waste it instead.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:33 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 331
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
The Earth is round. Anyone want to debate that with me?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defmincex13 View Post
Carcillo is fine and dandy i enjoy him. He isnt any better then Upshall in my mind. Why people loved Upshall so much to automatically not like Carcillo is baffling. Id me more concerned if we traded a Parent or Sbisa at the time.
To me, Upshall was a spark of hope at the end of that abismal '06-'07 season, he made Flyers games fun to watch again and gave hope that things might be better next year. I understand the unconditional love he received, just don't understand why some felt they had to take their anger out on Carcillo, as if he was responsible for Upshall leaving the team.

Old
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Carcillo gets so much hate here and it's all for nothing that he has done. He didn't ask to be traded from pho to here for a fan favourite. But he kept his mouth shut and got on with the job of playing hockey here. When he has a career year next year i will be happy. He has all the skills to be a decent player.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Gags1288

I would say that it's too early to say for me, but I'm leaning towards the like side. He can play the game, he's a solid physical presence, and he'll always stand up for a teammate.

On a side note, after he scored in game 4 against the Penguins, it was the loudest that I've ever heard the Wachovia center. I also don't blame him at all for game 6, it's not his fault that his goaltender couldn't make a big save and the team just crumbled.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:38 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
The Earth is round. Anyone want to debate that with me?
These people apparently: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

There's some fun reading in there if your bored one day. Believe it or not, they seem to be very serious about this.