HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect from Emery this season?

Old
07-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
What can we expect from Emery this season?

About how many starts if healthy physically and mentally will Emery see? 55? 50? 60? Will Boucher see more starts than he did in San Jose? Like every year, our biggest question mark is in net and I'm not too sure I feel any more comfortable with our tandem this time around than I was with Biron and Nitty.

As we've seen in recent years, you don't need a lights out goalie to win cups - with the addition of Pronger are we satisfied with our ability to clear the puck and knock some bodies when the opposition is down low? We saw very little of that last year - quite frankly it was a mess on most nites against teams that excelled at cycling.

I'm worried with some of the self destructive behavior our current roster is known to display. Emery I'm most concerned about - you rarely see Stevens chew out our guys, is he going to have his hands full with a full season of Carcillo, Emery even Hartnell at times? The mental makeup of this team downright scares me - it's probably going to be our biggest enemy.

Why was Holmgren so high on Emery in the first place?

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
FlyerX

I see somewhere around a 56-26 split in starts, barring injury. I'm sure Holmgren got a very good report on Emery from Paddock aside from what he has seen for himself. Otherwise, Emery wouldn't be here.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:11 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Regular Season

55GP 34W-16L-5T (5 SO)
2.35GAA 0.921 PCT 8PIM

Playoffs

25GP 16W-9L-0T (2SO)
2.12GAA 0.910 PCT 4PIM

1 Stanely Cup Ring!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Anything.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Claude Reigns
What offseason?

Vezina.

Claude Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:37 PM
XS Chop

Emery may be a nut but he's no dummy. He knows he has to:
A: Play well
B: Keep his head on straight
if he ever wants to see another NHL contract. I expect good things from him this year.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Regular Season

55GP 34W-16L-5T (5 SO)
2.35GAA 0.921 PCT 8PIM

Playoffs

25GP 16W-9L-0T (2SO)
2.12GAA 0.910 PCT 4PIM

1 Stanely Cup Ring!
Yes but let's not forget this was under a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this the Volchenkov\Phillips era where the two were arguably the top shutdown pair in the league? I don't know if the cup ring is a joke but they lost to the Ducks that year. Some will say that we now have 2 similar pairings on our squad - but do they have the organization and discipline?

I know everything is speculation and we'll never know a thing until the season starts moving but I'm nowhere near sold on Ray Emery as our guy. Ray probably wants nothing more than to prove all the critics wrong about his mental instability. Being so close to winning the cup will probably be the X factor in Emery's will to succeed. Let's hope Stevens and co. provide Emery with a system in front of him similar to the one he had in Ottawa where he was so successful.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
BringBackStevens

I don't really have a reason, but i'm not all that concerned about Emery next season. I think he'll do just fine, and unless we win a cup there will still be 60% of Flyers fans that think our goaltending is a "problem"

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Yes but let's not forget this was under a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this the Volchenkov\Phillips era where the two were arguably the top shutdown pair in the league? I don't know if the cup ring is a joke but they lost to the Ducks that year.
His save percentage was 91.8 with Ottowa that year. I think those were just projected numbers for next year. Very optimistic numbers.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I don't really have a reason, but i'm not all that concerned about Emery next season. I think he'll do just fine, and unless we win a cup there will still be 60% of Flyers fans that think our goaltending is a "problem"
That's a conservative estimate, too.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
It will be a "problem" because we won't have a starting goalie signed for the next season and the salary cap will be extremely tight...once again. It should be 100% looking a season out, because, as of now, Brian Boucher is your starting goalie following this upcoming season.

If we win the Stanley Cup with Emery between the pipes, he's going to be looking at a significant raise.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It will be a "problem" because we won't have a starting goalie signed for the next season and the salary cap will be extremely tight...once again. It should be 100% looking a season out, because, as of now, Brian Boucher is your starting goalie following this upcoming season.

If we win the Stanley Cup with Emery between the pipes, he's going to be looking at a significant raise.
As it ALWAYS will be when you have a good team.

Only small market teams or expansion teams actually have significant cap space.

Tell me Jester, how would you clear space, and how much would you clear?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Emery may be a nut but he's no dummy. He knows he has to:
A: Play well
B: Keep his head on straight
if he ever wants to see another NHL contract. I expect good things from him this year.
It's one thing to know that. It's another thing to know that and perform.

When things are going good (team in front of him is playing well, he's playing well, team is winning) then all will be just fine. The question is how will he be when he faces adversity (whether that means the team in front of him isn't scoring goals and he's playing lights out or if he's not playing well)?

I know first hand from playing very competitive golf as a guy with a temper/anger management issues that it's easy to roll with the punches when things are going well. It's when things go bad that a fiery temperment can take over and things can go south very quickly. That is my number one concern with Rayzor.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
As it ALWAYS will be when you have a good team.

Only small market teams or expansion teams actually have significant cap space.

Tell me Jester, how would you clear space, and how much would you clear?
Tough to have a good team unless you have a good goalie...unless your talent is so over the top that you can make up for that (see the Red Wings, and that advantage has just evaporated potentially).

We should be spending close to 4M less on our defense right now alone. Next year you're going to get 1.25M back on Pronger, so that's 5.25M going into that next season on defense alone. Some of that will go back into the D in the form of Coburn's raise, and Parent's new contract.

I also dislike our bottom 6 right now, so who knows how that ends up looking, because, as of now, I don't think our forwards make much sense as far as constructing a 3rd and 4th line. So, without that worked out, it's tough to figure out salary from that troop. However, I have to think you can shave money off of Carcillo's 893K roster spot.

So, lets say you could conceivably carve out 5.5M from our current roster after next season -- ignoring the need for another center for the moment. I wager Coburn is going to get at least 1.7M of that. Let's assume Parent gets a 700K raise to 1.5M, that puts you at roughly 3M left over. As of now we have 1.8M cap space, but who knows where that will be next year. Lets figure Emery would show a little bit of gratitude (and I don't know what the openings are going to be like after next year), you figure we can get him for 3.5M on a couple year deal? If he plays out of his mind, you might be looking at a bit more (unfortunately).

That'll leave you with roughly 2.8M based off this year's cap space...and at that point, you're looking forward to the offseason from hell the following year.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Mr Oysterhead

I'm expecting somewhere between 2.6-2.8 GAA and something around .900-.910 save pct. With the defense and group of forwards we have I think goaltending for this team should be one of the more desired jobs in the NHL. I really believe everything is set up well for Ray to succeed.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I'm expecting somewhere between 2.6-2.8 GAA and something around .900-.910 save pct. With the defense and group of forwards we have I think goaltending for this team should be one of the more desired jobs in the NHL. I really believe everything is set up well for Ray to succeed.
a .900-.910 SVPCT isn't very good at all. 27 NHL goalies had a .910 or better SVPCT last season.

If we're getting goaltending in that range from Emery we're going to be getting some of the worst in the league, and it will be a massive handicap.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Claude Giroux

I think we'll see solid to above-average goaltending from him, and he'll kick a few guys' ***** in between.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
mercury

Quote:
a .900-.910 SVPCT isn't very good at all. 27 NHL goalies had a .910 or better SVPCT last season.

If we're getting goaltending in that range from Emery we're going to be getting some of the worst in the league, and it will be a massive handicap.
Agreed. If it's around .910, then we would be doing OK, probably. .900 would be a very bad sign. I think Biron was at .915 last season, correct?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Agreed. If it's around .910, then we would be doing OK, probably. .900 would be a very bad sign. I think Biron was at .915 last season, correct?
Something like that.

.915 is in the median range.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Something like that.

.915 is in the median range.
Considering only 5 guys had back-to-back seasons with 55+ games played and 0.915+ sv% in the last two seasons, I'll take that from Emery.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Considering only 5 guys had back-to-back seasons with 55+ games played and 0.915+ sv% in the last two seasons, I'll take that from Emery.
Yup. Especially with the team we're putting in front of him.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Right, a select group is holding that line (which people don't realize). However, from season-to-season that seems to be the middle of the road as far as goaltending.

If Emery gives us .915, then we're getting more than adequate goaltending. Below .910 isn't good enough.

Old
07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Right, a select group is holding that line (which people don't realize). However, from season-to-season that seems to be the middle of the road as far as goaltending.

If Emery gives us .915, then we're getting more than adequate goaltending. Below .910 isn't good enough.
Yep, I agree with you.

Old
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Anything.

Seriously, I have absolutely no idea what to expect out of this guy. He could be a borderline all star or he could flame out and destroy our season 40 games in. I would be unsurprised either way.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Gert B Frobe

Having Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn and Parent in your top 4 definitely makes for 45 minutes of good defense a night. If the third pairing doesn't completely suck and if the forwards play reasonable defense - this teams GAA should improve over last years. There's no reason the forwards won't be a better defensive unit this season as well - just because they can't get much worse than last season.

I think Emery is considerably more talented than Biron and considerably less stable mentally. If he can just keep his head on straight most of the time then I think he will be a significant upgrade given that Biron was pretty average most of last regular season and playoffs.

I don't want to see him fighting teammates in practice and that crap. Some fighting in practice is no big deal but not for the goalie IMO.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote