HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I guess his point is Team Canada almost always has its returnees back on its team. Not sure I can agree with leaving Wahl off. He would have been a strong player for the US this year

I though McColgan would get a chance but then that would mean the USA brass wouldn't be able to bring a guy like Zucker
I get that, but to me Wahl isn't much of a differance maker on this squad. He needs to be a top six guy, and I think there are better options.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Honestly USA seems like a real strong team this year, they could make a push to canada considering the amount of talent canada does NOT have coming.

Still Canada seems to have its depth covered quite deeply.
The U.S. should definately contend for gold, although Canada looks great as always and is tough to beat on home ice. Sweden and Russia also feature excellent teams. Should be a great tournament.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The U.S. should definately contend for gold, although Canada looks great as always and is tough to beat on home ice. Sweden and Russia also feature excellent teams. Should be a great tournament.
this tourny could become the best in its history this year. the amount of talent this year is going to make this tourney unreal.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
JMFJ 3

I didn't expect Czarnik to make the team but leaving him off the selection roster stunned me.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
this tourny could become the best in its history this year. the amount of talent this year is going to make this tourney unreal.
Exactly, each of the top 4 nations have some real elite talents in their lineup. I can't wait.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
FoxMulder91*

Quote:
I get that, but to me Wahl isn't much of a differance maker on this squad. He needs to be a top six guy, and I think there are better options.
McRae over Wahl...really..

Old
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

I'm surprised that Brian Lashoff got an invite. He's been horrible this year, both in terms of not producing points as Kingston's PP QB, as well as being a turnover machine in his own zone.

If there's one player that got picked based on reputation or whatever, and not on season-to-date performance, it's him.

Old
12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Konk

The biggest surprise for me is Zucker over Saad on the eval roster, but then again they are taking a more team-first approach rather than an all-star squad. Problem is, there are already a lot of players like Zucker on this team and there are none like Saad. If I had to pick a team based on the eval roster, this is what I think it will end up looking like:

GOALTENDERS (2)
Jack Campbell
Mike Lee

DEFENSEMEN (7)
John Carlson
Matt Donovan
Cam Fowler
Jon Merrill
John Moore
John Ramage
David Warsofsky

FORWARDS (13)
Danny Kristo
Philip McRae
Jordan Schroeder
Jeremy Morin
Derek Stepan
Ryan Bourque
A.J. Jenks
David Wohlberg
Kyle Palmieri
Jerry D'Amigo
Tyler Johnson
Chris Brown
Chris Kreider

Old
12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm surprised that Brian Lashoff got an invite. He's been horrible this year, both in terms of not producing points as Kingston's PP QB, as well as being a turnover machine in his own zone.

If there's one player that got picked based on reputation or whatever, and not on season-to-date performance, it's him.
You're entitled to your opinion, but when has Brian Lashoff been on USA Hockey's radar?

Old
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, but when has Brian Lashoff been on USA Hockey's radar?
You're probably right, but I'm just saying he had to be selected based on something other than his actual season-to-date performance. He really hasn't been playing good hockey, neither defensively or offensively.

Old
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
You're probably right, but I'm just saying he had to be selected based on something other than his actual season-to-date performance. He really hasn't been playing good hockey, neither defensively or offensively.
Kind of a head scratcher I guess, although I was under the impression his play has been trending up for quite some time. Blais and the suits at USA Hockey must see something they like. That can be dangerous though (see: Blake Kessel last year).

Old
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I guess his point is Team Canada almost always has its returnees back on its team. Not sure I can agree with leaving Wahl off. He would have been a strong player for the US this year

I though McColgan would get a chance but then that would mean the USA brass wouldn't be able to bring a guy like Zucker
The big difference is Canada is bringing back players based off of a gold medal team not a 5th place team. Wahl would only make this team if they thought he was going to be on a scoring line, and based off his invisible tournament last year and underwhelming evaluation camp this August, he can't perform that role, at least not on international ice.

It's funny though because based on what a few posters think about leaving Mitch Wahl off this team and their subsequent outcries, you'd think this was even in the same stratosphere as the Bogosian/Carlson/Ryan snubs of recent years. And it's not. Not even kind of in the nicest way possible to Wahl.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The big difference is Canada is bringing back players based off of a gold medal team not a 5th place team. Wahl would only make this team if they thought he was going to be on a scoring line, and based off his invisible tournament last year and underwhelming evaluation camp this August, he can't perform that role, at least not on international ice.

It's funny though because based on what a few posters think about leaving Mitch Wahl off this team and their subsequent outcries, you'd think this was even in the same stratosphere as the Bogosian/Carlson/Ryan snubs of recent years. And it's not. Not even kind of in the nicest way possible to Wahl.
Exactly right. I think there's also a bit of disrespect being shown to the depth of talent USA Hockey has at it's disposal. Do people really think a guy like Wahl is such a unique talent that the U.S. can't compete without him? Times have changed. He's part of a crowd of players of that ilk. It's clear to me Blais and co are building a team here, and have a plan for doing so. I like our chances (as I do every year.... )

Old
12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
wings5

Where is Aaron Ness and ? Also I do not see where the physicality will come from up front, or on the back end. I expected Pateryn, Helgeson and Comrie, Wey to be invited on the defensive end and Budish, Ryan and Foligno. Even Mitchell Callahan and Samuels-Thomas can fill a role better than someone like Luke Walker. The rest of the roster looks good though. Too bad for Leddy.

Old
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
mckly
go leafs go

mitch wahl's a beast

Old
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I've stated for a while that I'm not overly optimistic about this group and nothing's changed. I had hoped some players would make a large amount of progress over the first few months of the season but that really hasn't been the case. There are few serious difference makers and there's not much depth. If they want to win, they're going to have to avoid mistakes and make the most of thier offensive opportunities.

Old
12-02-2009, 05:12 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Also, Mitch Wahl would not have made any kind of difference for this team.

Old
12-02-2009, 05:13 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Where is Aaron Ness and ? Also I do not see where the physicality will come from up front, or on the back end. I expected Pateryn, Helgeson and Comrie, Wey to be invited on the defensive end and Budish, Ryan and Foligno. Even Mitchell Callahan and Samuels-Thomas can fill a role better than someone like Luke Walker. The rest of the roster looks good though. Too bad for Leddy.
I haven't actually seen Ness play this season so I'm a little hesitant to pass judgment on him, but the word on the street is he's struggling this season.

Old
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
FoxMulder91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Also, Mitch Wahl would not have made any kind of difference for this team.
And you are basing that off.....

Old
12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder91 View Post
I've seen him play and I know what he brings to the table. Trust me, I'd love it if I were wrong but most people seem to agree that he wouldn't help the team.

Old
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
This is my main concern with Lashoff also. I just do not see how he has had a good enough year to be in the mix over a guy like Comrie. I am all for wanting to build a team that is going to win, I am also for picking CHL Americans, but you need to be picking guys who are playing of a positive note going into the tourney, and as of now Lashoff is not.

Comrie is the better player, and I can't for the life of me understand why he does not get an invite over guys like Lashoff and Donovan (I like Donovan a lot, but I like Comrie more).

Old
12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder91 View Post
...the fact that he's not that good?

Mitch Wahl is not the player that wins a tournament. And he's not the player that loses a tournament. He's just there for the ride.

Old
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I think Mitchell Callahan would be a nice choice, but I also think that Marcus Foligno would play for Canada if I am not mistaken. The other big body that I was hoping to see besides Comrie was Helgeson, and he too doesn't make the cut. I thought we might have learned our lesson last time by not bringing Pietrecki and Carlson along, we need to utilize those big bodies that we are starting to produce more and more.

Helgeson isn't going to give you much offensively, but I love the way he just cripples people out there.

Old
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think Mitchell Callahan would be a nice choice, but I also think that Marcus Foligno would play for Canada if I am not mistaken. The other big body that I was hoping to see besides Comrie was Helgeson, and he too doesn't make the cut. I thought we might have learned our lesson last time by not bringing Pietrecki and Carlson along, we need to utilize those big bodies that we are starting to produce more and more.

Helgeson isn't going to give you much offensively, but I love the way he just cripples people out there.
I like Helgeson, too. I'm a bit surprised he wasn't on the final tryout roster.

Old
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I've stated for a while that I'm not overly optimistic about this group and nothing's changed. I had hoped some players would make a large amount of progress over the first few months of the season but that really hasn't been the case. There are few serious difference makers and there's not much depth. If they want to win, they're going to have to avoid mistakes and make the most of thier offensive opportunities.
I have to agree with you here in a sense. I like our team's chances, but I just don't like the mix of forwards that we have. Many of these guys are almost the same build and type of player. I would have loved to have seen some different types of guys like Budish and Saad on this team. What more does Saad have to do right now to get an invite??

I am not crying that Wahl isn't on this team, I am just a little shocked thats all. Everyone says he is an average player, well he looks the exact same as: D'Amigo, Stepan, Wohlberg, Brown, etc.). Those guys don't excite me one bit. This will be a grinding team that will desperately need Schroeder and Morin to carry the load.

Closed Thread