HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
hotshot67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
One year, so what, so what, and who are you?
Better check again... Wahl has been a leader straight out of the gate. Big mistake not to take him. Blais should probably change his name to Bias.

Old
12-02-2009, 06:35 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot67 View Post
Better check again... Wahl has been a leader straight out of the gate. Big mistake not to take him. Blais should probably change his name to Bias.
Don't blame Dean Blais. Last I heard, Brian Burke and Ron Wilson are scouting Mitch Wahl for the US Olympic Team and have requested he not waste his time with the WJC.

Old
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
haha funny stuff. I think it was a mistake to not invite him myself, but like I said before I think the bulk of the US forwards are way too similiar. My gripe isn't really about Wahl, it is about Saad and Budish not getting an invite.

You can blame Bias...err Blais all you want, but sometimes I think there are others above the coach that "help" make these selections. USA hockey seems to work like the Roman Catholic church at times....and don't make any comments about altar boys!

Old
12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I didn't expect Czarnik to make the team but leaving him off the selection roster stunned me.
He quit the Michigan hockey team last week and joined Plymouth. He is still attending classes at Michigan.

Old
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
hotshot67

I can assure you that Jim Johannson, Tim Taylor and others wanted Wahl. Blais had other ideas. Does anyone know what kind of relationship Basil McRae and Blais have?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I can assure you that Jim Johannson, Tim Taylor and others wanted Wahl. Blais had other ideas. Does anyone know what kind of relationship Basil McRae and Blais have?
I'm not very assured. It may not be fair to question your credibility based on 2 posts, but alas, I am. Care to cite any sources for which you base your allegations?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I have to agree with you here in a sense. I like our team's chances, but I just don't like the mix of forwards that we have. Many of these guys are almost the same build and type of player. I would have loved to have seen some different types of guys like Budish and Saad on this team. What more does Saad have to do right now to get an invite??

I am not crying that Wahl isn't on this team, I am just a little shocked thats all. Everyone says he is an average player, well he looks the exact same as: D'Amigo, Stepan, Wohlberg, Brown, etc.). Those guys don't excite me one bit. This will be a grinding team that will desperately need Schroeder and Morin to carry the load.
I don't have a problem with Budish and Saad not being there. They aren't elite U20 players yet so it doesn't really matter to me what style of game they may play. We'll see how they develop in the next year (or two in Saad's case). To be honest, that's how I feel about a lot of the '91 and '92 US forwards. There aren't any Parise/Kane/Kessel/van Riemsdyk types in the group (ie. guys who are major contributers as underagers).

Old
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm not very assured. It may not be fair to question your credibility based on 2 posts, but alas, I am. Care to cite any sources for which you base your allegations?
I'll back you up on that request. I doubt they would have dumped the guy in the first round of cuts this summer if anyone involved in the decision making process was really pushing for him.

Old
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
teddygmr

sorry I'm coming into this thread late ...any speculation on how the forward lines will shape up? Will Schroeder play with Morin?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I have to agree with you here in a sense. I like our team's chances, but I just don't like the mix of forwards that we have. Many of these guys are almost the same build and type of player. I would have loved to have seen some different types of guys like Budish and Saad on this team. What more does Saad have to do right now to get an invite??

I am not crying that Wahl isn't on this team, I am just a little shocked thats all. Everyone says he is an average player, well he looks the exact same as: D'Amigo, Stepan, Wohlberg, Brown, etc.). Those guys don't excite me one bit. This will be a grinding team that will desperately need Schroeder and Morin to carry the load.
Dean Blais is an excellent coach and a very good evaluator of talent. I have no doubt he will get the most out of this squad. If I've read the situation correctly, the U.S. will ice a team that will feature an an in your face style predicated on a relentless forecheck. We should also have a very good, mobile defense and solid goaltending. It might not be as "sexy" as American teams of recent years, but where has that gotten us? One bronze since 2004.

Old
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
hotshot67

Quote:
Fact not Allegation.
Tim Taylor, Jim Johannson

Old
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Fact not Allegation.
Tim Taylor, Jim Johannson
Passing off common knowledge names of USA Hockey executives doesn't pass for fact.

I'd prefer a link or quotes from a reputable source Mr. Wahl.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-02-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
bleuetbio

Do you think that Kristo will play on the top 6 forward?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
Do you think that Kristo will play on the top 6 forward?
Depends on who makes the team and how the lines are assembled, but judging by how impressed Blais has been with him at the Eval. Camp and his start at North Dakota, I think it's fair to say Kristo will play a lot.

Old
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Any word on when USA hockey is gonna announce, like, anything?

Old
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
In regards to what, naming the final team?

http://usahockey.com/world_junior_ch...aspx?id=274714

According to that, after their exhibition game against North Dakota to end the camp on December 19th some players will be cut, and then they have an exhibition against the Czech Republic on the 22nd, after which they'll cut the last remaining extras and be ready to go.

Old
12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
its a late and strange camp for me. Russia and Canada will take more than a week to do their camp, on the 2nd week on december and States will take only 3 days just before X-mas

Old
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
its a late and strange camp for me. Russia and Canada will take more than a week to do their camp, on the 2nd week on december and States will take only 3 days just before X-mas
It's better than no camp in December as in the recent past for the USA WJC team. Each country approaches things differently and player availability and travel logistics are also factors. College players likely being able to take exams and the college hockey schedule a bit lighter by that week/weekend.

Also, Canada's camp and camp scrimmages are from 12/12-16 (5 days); then there will be 3 scrimmages against other WJC teams.

Russia is starting camp in Russia without a handful of the NA based players.

Old
12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
mitch wahl

Quote:
Passing off common knowledge names of USA Hockey executives doesn't not pass for fact.

I'd prefer a link or quotes from a reputable source Mr. Wahl.
COME ON WILLIE! I consider myself a little more mature than that,plus i can barely type. Mitch Wahl sr

Old
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
hotshot67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Also, Mitch Wahl would not have made any kind of difference for this team.
Sorry for the rookie status, but after Wahl was "Blaisly" over looked, I came aboard. I'm sure Big Mitch is going to give me grief about it too! haha
I've been a Chiefs fan and Booster for many years so I do consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the Chiefs and the Western League. Wahl is one of the elite two-way centermen in a defensive system and in my opinion the best and toughest junior league in the world. The Chiefs play a very defensive system, therefore we lead the league in GA this year and have been at the top in prior years. From the age of 16, Wahl has been playing against the other teams' top-lines (night in and night out) many of whom will be on team Canada. He's a point per game player in the rough and tumble Western Conference in the most competitive division. After his Junior career is over, he should be well over a 100 plus player. His skill set, vision and anticipation create a lot of time and space for his line mates, just ask Koper and Beach. Bowman's career really took off as soon as he was paired with Wahl. The knock on Wahl is he's a little too unselfish. He's been killing penalties at a 90% clip, and also runs the point on the power play. I thought USA Hockey mantra is that they want battle tested two-way players. So they take Luke Walker? Walker has zero play off experience, Wahl has over 30 play off games. Not to mention a Western Conference Championship, WHL Championship, Memorial Cup Ring, Memorial Cup All-Star Selection --- Walker over Wahl? What a joke!! Spokane played Portland the other night in a very spirited affair, as the game got faster and rougher Walker couldn't keep up and therefore disappeared. Wahl rose to the forefront as he does in those kind of games and was the best player on the ice. I've seen him live and on the web in over 200 games and I think he would have been a difference maker for the USA team. He will be a good pro someday and plays a structured pro style game now. Sorry for the rant, but felt compelled. Go CANADA!!!

Old
12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Konk

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Budish and Saad not being there. They aren't elite U20 players yet so it doesn't really matter to me what style of game they may play. We'll see how they develop in the next year (or two in Saad's case). To be honest, that's how I feel about a lot of the '91 and '92 US forwards. There aren't any Parise/Kane/Kessel/van Riemsdyk types in the group (ie. guys who are major contributers as underagers).
Saad is head and shoulders a better player than Zucker, who was invited. Coaches tend to have certain favorites, and in the US system the past couple seasons it's been Zucker as the favorite of the US brass. Saad definitely should've been there over him.

Old
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Konk

Quote:
I've seen him play and I know what he brings to the table. Trust me, I'd love it if I were wrong but most people seem to agree that he wouldn't help the team.
I definitely agree with you here that Wahl would've been a waste of a roster spot just like last year.

Old
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
southsidehockey

I agree that Wahl should have made it over Walker, but I still don't think Wahl would have made this Junior team. I don't think Walker will either. However, I think the selection of Walker proves the "bias" debate wrong. The scouting report on Wahl coming out of World Juniors last year was not good.

To say he had a great or even a good tournament is pretty wrong. He was almost non-existent. I think part of the team's problem last year was a lack of mental toughness (with goaltending being the main problem). You've only got three returnees, which in my opinion is a really good thing.

You get some fresh blood. I have a feeling we see at least three of those 92's on this team and that's a great thing for USA Hockey's future. Plus you've got a lot of 91's that know what it takes to win a world championship, albeit at the U18 level. I don't know that this team will be in contention for gold, but this will be the foundation of future championship teams with some 91s and 92s in the mix.

Old
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Saad is head and shoulders a better player than Zucker, who was invited. Coaches tend to have certain favorites, and in the US system the past couple seasons it's been Zucker as the favorite of the US brass. Saad definitely should've been there over him.
I don't think Zucker is going to be a big contributer either to be honest so it doesn't really matter.

Just to clarify further, I'm not saying guys like Wahl and Saad aren't equal to or, in some cases, better than the players that got an invite. I just don't think it makes a difference.

Also, just cause a player doesn't seem like they'll be useful to the US wjc team doesn't mean they can't become a good pro. Paul Stastny didn't really stand out when he tried out for the US team years back but he's become a better pro than anyone on that team.

Old
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
All the outrage over Mitch freaking Wahl is hysterical. He'll be a mediocre NHLer (if he ever becomes one) and will never win a national team anything whatsoever.

Big. Whoop.

Closed Thread