HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2009, 12:51 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
why is john carlson on the list? i thought he wasnt going to be allowed to play in the WJC.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Strong defense, strong goaltending.... not a good year for offense by the looks of it. Are people expecting a defensive system with a strong powerplay this year from the US?

Old
08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
TheBakester66

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
I heard he was going to be heavily counted on for scoring at the WJC and the blues expected him to play a significant role - I assume that means top 6 too
Larry Pleau was recently interviewed as saying that he "thinks he has something special" in McRae, but I don't think they plan on him making the big club, that spot is currently Eller's to lose.

Old
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
why is john carlson on the list? i thought he wasnt going to be allowed to play in the WJC.
Unless something has been explicitly said by the Caps organization, my impression was that he'd probably go if he wasn't in the NHL. Or at least, a decision to be made at the time.

So if there's still a chance he could go, it makes sense for US hockey to include him in the camp

Old
08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Strong defense, strong goaltending.... not a good year for offense by the looks of it. Are people expecting a defensive system with a strong powerplay this year from the US?
Lesser known commodities on the offensive end, but still a potent group. Guys like McRae, Bourque, Palmieri, etc might not be as "sexy" as Wilson, JVR, and so on, but they are extremely skilled. Add that to what's shaping up to be an excellent defense, good to great goaltending with Mike Lee at the helm, and a very good coach in Dean Blais, and things are looking up.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-10-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old
08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Unless something has been explicitly said by the Caps organization, my impression was that he'd probably go if he wasn't in the NHL. Or at least, a decision to be made at the time.

So if there's still a chance he could go, it makes sense for US hockey to include him in the camp
I think the expectation is Carlson will be in the AHL this year, which will probably ensure his availability for the U.S. team. I hope he is allowed to join, because he will be an absolute monster.

Old
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That's why I used his name, but he's not Joe Pavelski despite the style similarity. Pavelski's biggest weakness at that age was skating. His offense and hockey sense were head and shoulders better. What made Joe Pavelski explode developmentally is improved skating. Stepan's skating is significantly better at the same age, so you won't see that jump from him.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Lesser know commodities on the offensive end, but still a potent group. Guys like McRae, Bourque, Palmieri, etc might not be as "sexy" as Wilson, JVR, and so on, but they are extremely skilled. Add that to what's shaping up to be an excellent defense, good to great goaltending with Mike Lee at the helm, and a very good coach in Dean Blais, and things are looking up.
I agree. McRae and Bourque are particularly underrated. And having kids like Ryan, D'Amigo, Czarnik, Kristo, etc. gives them team-first mentality players.

We'll see how Kreider and Budish perform in the games as they're both wildcards who give the U.S. much-needed game breakers if they make the final roster.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I agree. McRae and Bourque are particularly underrated. And having kids like Ryan, D'Amigo, Czarnik, Kristo, etc. gives them team-first mentality players.

We'll see how Kreider and Budish perform in the games as they're both wildcards who give the U.S. much-needed game breakers if they make the final roster.
Yeah, I think a pretty clear picture is being painted on the forward group Blais has determined to be "his guys." If Kreider and Budish fare well against Russia and have good starts to their freshmen campaigns, they probably will make the team due to their size, skill, and in Kreider's case skating ability.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I think the expectation is Carlson will be in the AHL this year, which will probably ensure his availability for the U.S. team. I hope he is allowed to join, because he will be an absolute monster.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but as a CHL player, Carlson isn't eligible to play in the AHL until he's 20 years old or his CHL team is eliminated (like last season). I'm pretty sure it's either CHL or the big club for Carlson.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but as a CHL player, Carlson isn't eligible to play in the AHL until he's 20 years old or his CHL team is eliminated (like last season). I'm pretty sure it's either CHL or the big club for Carlson.
You're wrong. He wasn't drafted out of the CHL but out of the USHL, so he's AHL eligible.

Old
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
William H Bonney

Team White defeated Team Blue 8-7 in OT last night in the last intrasquad scrimmage:

Stats:

1: Warsofsky (Carlson, McRae) BLUE
1: Kristo (Wahl) WHITE
1: Jenks (Saponari) WHITE
1: Bourque (Schroeder, Maxwell) BLUE
2: Kristo (Fowler, Comrie) WHITE
2: Palmieri (Wahl, Kristo) WHITE
2: Morin (Wey, Schroeder) BLUE
2: Budish (Schroeder, Morin) BLUE *PPG*
2: Morin (Bourque, Leddy) BLUE *PPG*
2: Schroeder (Carlson) BLUE *SHG*
3: McRae (Treais, Wey) BLUE
3: Moore (Saponari, Jenks) WHITE *PPG*
3: Kristo (Cichy) WHITE *SHG*
3: Palmieri (Jenks, Fowler) WHITE *PPG*
OT: Palmieri (Ness) WHITE

You can see highlights of Palmieri's final two goals here:

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...ame3player.swf

Last edited by William H Bonney: 08-10-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old
08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
First round of cuts. Not sure if these players are completely off the roster and have no shot come Dec, or just for the camp. Definitely some surprises on both sides.
According to Dean Blais:

Quote:
"We kept five defensive pairs and five forward lines, and all of them will have a chance to show what they can do against Russia. Even after this camp ends, we will continue to evaluate all of these players, including those who are heading home now."

Old
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

It seems to me the players the U.S. has decided to keep are the ones doing the heavy lifting. Kristo's been a standout as well, which is nice to see from a returning player. I hope as hell we get our best possible defense, as it will be absolutely electrifying.

Old
08-10-2009, 07:06 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
It seems to me the players the U.S. has decided to keep are the ones doing the heavy lifting. Kristo's been a standout as well, which is nice to see from a returning player. I hope as hell we get our best possible defense, as it will be absolutely electrifying.
I really hope Atlanta releases Bogosian too!!

Old
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
William H Bonney

Does anyone know the roster that the Russians are bringing over for these exhibition games?

Old
08-10-2009, 11:01 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
Quote:
I guess the big "shock" to me is Wahl. Blais and the rest of the staff must see something they don't like. Personally, I'm glad they're not giving incumbants a free pass. Wahl was pretty invisible last year anyway.
Thats Blais though. He has said he will continue to evaluate players, even the ones sent home. Maybe he saw something and wated to give him a big wake up call.

Thats the good thing with Blais. Players better play and continue to get better from camp until the team packs up and leaves. The selection might turn some heads. But their play will turn more heads in a good way. I like team USA this year.

Old
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Any website or reporter covering these games? Im curious to hear how each individual is doing....

Old
08-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Does anyone know the roster that the Russians are bringing over for these exhibition games?
Full list here. Not their best squad obviously, as quite a few are either at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, injured or were requested not to play.

Old
08-11-2009, 08:15 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I thought Cichy was cut, I see he's listed on Kristo's 2nd goal, I guess it's a mistake, anyone actually there?

Old
08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
jake1

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I thought Cichy was cut, I see he's listed on Kristo's 2nd goal, I guess it's a mistake, anyone actually there?
Cuts were made after the last US vs. US game.

Old
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Team White defeated Team Blue 8-7 in OT last night in the last intrasquad scrimmage:

Stats:

1: Warsofsky (Carlson, McRae) BLUE
1: Kristo (Wahl) WHITE
1: Jenks (Saponari) WHITE
1: Bourque (Schroeder, Maxwell) BLUE
2: Kristo (Fowler, Comrie) WHITE
2: Palmieri (Wahl, Kristo) WHITE
2: Morin (Wey, Schroeder) BLUE
2: Budish (Schroeder, Morin) BLUE *PPG*
2: Morin (Bourque, Leddy) BLUE *PPG*
2: Schroeder (Carlson) BLUE *SHG*
3: McRae (Treais, Wey) BLUE
3: Moore (Saponari, Jenks) WHITE *PPG*
3: Kristo (Cichy) WHITE *SHG*
3: Palmieri (Jenks, Fowler) WHITE *PPG*
OT: Palmieri (Ness) WHITE

Kristo

Old
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

If this was already posted, my apology, but I didn't see it in my reading. Kristo blogging about camp for the USHL site link

Old
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
xIsle

Quote:

Nice to see that Aaron Ness is playing with Cam Fowler. Do you guys think that Ness has better chance to make the team because of that? Both display a lot of speed and they were the reason for Palmieri's both goals.

Old
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy17 View Post
Nice to see that Aaron Ness is playing with Cam Fowler. Do you guys think that Ness has better chance to make the team because of that? Both display a lot of speed and they were the reason for Palmieri's both goals.
Ness has a very good chance at making the final roster, although defense is probably going to be the toughest nut to crack. The U.S. really has an abundance of depth this year, and several of the defensemen player similar games and are of similar talent.

Closed Thread