HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
  #201
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
He was cut from the USA/Russia scrim squad.
Doesn't mean he can't/won't make the WJC team, Blais said that already.

Rabid Husky is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
  #202
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Konk, do you have any insight on why D'Amigo slipped in the draft as he did. I have only seen him at the U18s but everything you said is in line with my view on him, and I'm still baffled by why he slipped. I read one published report that it may have been because of a lingering injury, and surely there's been speculation it has to do with RPI, but I was wondering if you'd heard anything else.
He started off the season with a lingering back injury so he didn't jump out of the gates with a strong start. However, once he was 100% he was over a PPG, an all-around force, and a leader. He performed really well at both the Four Nations and U-18s, so scouts did get to see him at his best.

I would say a factor in his lack of draft status would be RPI as you stated -- almost everyone wants to see him somewhere other than RPI. On top of that, he's more desire/drive/work ethic than anything else. Don't get me wrong, he's skilled, fast, and smart -- but no particular skill jumps out at you other than his speed. What stands out is his desire to succeed and his tenacity, no one works harder. He's also a bit undersized. He's built and strong, but he's not tall so that may scare some teams off. All of those factors combined may have scared scouts away from picking him higher. The only forwards I think have a better chance of succeeding as pros from the '91 NTDP class are Morin and Palmieri, both have more natural skill.

However, I would put money on D'Amigo becoming an NHLer above anyone else other than Fowler on that team. The only question is at what capacity. I guess scouts don't see the potential for a 2nd liner in him, but at the rate he's developed for the NTDP over the past two years, I think he can get there.

Konk is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
  #203
orangeandblack
Registered User
 
orangeandblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
He started off the season with a lingering back injury so he didn't jump out of the gates with a strong start. However, once he was 100% he was over a PPG, an all-around force, and a leader. He performed really well at both the Four Nations and U-18s, so scouts did get to see him at his best.

I would say a factor in his lack of draft status would be RPI as you stated -- almost everyone wants to see him somewhere other than RPI. On top of that, he's more desire/drive/work ethic than anything else. Don't get me wrong, he's skilled, fast, and smart -- but no particular skill jumps out at you other than his speed. What stands out is his desire to succeed and his tenacity, no one works harder. He's also a bit undersized. He's built and strong, but he's not tall so that may scare some teams off. All of those factors combined may have scared scouts away from picking him higher. The only forwards I think have a better chance of succeeding as pros from the '91 NTDP class are Morin and Palmieri, both have more natural skill.

However, I would put money on D'Amigo becoming an NHLer above anyone else other than Fowler on that team. The only question is at what capacity. I guess scouts don't see the potential for a 2nd liner in him, but at the rate he's developed for the NTDP over the past two years, I think he can get there.
Do you think the Leafs will encourage him to go to Kitchener? For someone that has that kind of drive to get to the next level, you would think RPI would be an afterthought.

orangeandblack is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
  #204
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Do you think the Leafs will encourage him to go to Kitchener? For someone that has that kind of drive to get to the next level, you would think RPI would be an afterthought.
I really have no idea. I get to see these kids play, but I don't really have access to that kind of information. I really would hope so for his benefit, but I probably wouldn't get to watch him play anymore!

Konk is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
  #205
ben3001
Registered User
 
ben3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Anyone who has seen the development camp care to comment on Chris Wideman's play so far? Making first round of cuts seems to have been a good surprise, how has his game been so far compared to the other offensive d-man on the squad?

(thanks in advance)

ben3001 is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
  #206
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,983
vCash: 500
You know, I'm still confused. Did anyone see the game yesterday and was Kreider playing? I've seen two places say he was a scratch, but someone else said he was playing.

I'm not sure if the two places saying he was scratched just got their "info" from the same place and it's suspect, or what

Levitate is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
  #207
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Here's some highlights from the USA-Russia exhibition #1:

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...ame1player.swf

Nice goal from Kristo in there.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
  #208
xIsle
Registered User
 
xIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Doesn't mean he can't/won't make the WJC team, Blais said that already.
Yes, I understand that, but for Wahl to make the team in december, he will need a very strong start next season with Spokane. And even if is so, I have my doubts to see him making the team! If Blais cut Wahl for the games against Russia it's certainly because he wasn't impress by his play.

xIsle is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
  #209
colt4ever
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
anyone have an update on tonights game also out of the russian players wich ones stand out.

colt4ever is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
  #210
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
USA wins the second exhibition match against Russia 6-1.

Jack Campbell made 24 saves for the victory. More stats to follow.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
  #211
james bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Does anyone know the reason that Russia is here this year opposed to Finland and Sweden?
I dont know how close this is to Russia's final roster, but each fall they bring a "B" or "C" team to play CHL allstar candidates for Canadas team and the games have become such a joke that HockeyCanada told Russia to bring their "A" team or not to come at all.
It seems that this couldnt honestly be an "A" team that is in Lake Placid. Looks to be a waste of time.

james bond is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
  #212
BIG BLUE
Registered User
 
BIG BLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: United States
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
our Director of Amateur Scouting commenting on Kenny Ryan, D'Amigo and the other picks at the draft http://vodpod.com/watch/1832533-leaf...t-june-27-2009

BIG BLUE is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 09:47 PM
  #213
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Does anyone know the reason that Russia is here this year opposed to Finland and Sweden?
I dont know how close this is to Russia's final roster, but each fall they bring a "B" or "C" team to play CHL allstar candidates for Canadas team and the games have become such a joke that HockeyCanada told Russia to bring their "A" team or not to come at all.
It seems that this couldnt honestly be an "A" team that is in Lake Placid. Looks to be a waste of time.
It's not their "A team" here by any means. They're missing guys like Kabanov, Kulikov, etc. I'm not sure why they format for teams changed this year. I posed this question to some Swedish posters but never got a response.

While it would be nice to have some better competition here, at least the team is demolishing the Russians as should be expected. However, just as these camps have shown in the past (where US split squads have each dominated both the best of Finland and Sweden continually), these game results haven't translated well for us.

My guess is that the Finland and Sweden dropped out to focus on different methods for better results and that left the US with only one option of the Big 5 left: Russia. We're stuck with them even if they won't send their best possible team over here. I'd love to see USA Hockey change their ways and mimic the Canadians camps, and have our two countries play exhibitions against each other. That would be awesome, however unlikely it is.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
  #214
james bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
It's not their "A team" here by any means. They're missing guys like Kabanov, Kulikov, etc. I'm not sure why they format for teams changed this year. I posed this question to some Swedish posters but never got a response.

While it would be nice to have some better competition here, at least the team is demolishing the Russians as should be expected. However, just as these camps have shown in the past (where US split squads have each dominated both the best of Finland and Sweden continually), these game results haven't translated well for us.

My guess is that the Finland and Sweden dropped out to focus on different methods for better results and that left the US with only one option of the Big 5 left: Russia. We're stuck with them even if they won't send their best possible team over here. I'd love to see USA Hockey change their ways and mimic the Canadians camps, and have our two countries play exhibitions against each other. That would be awesome, however unlikely it is.
My thoughts exactly!

james bond is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
  #215
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Here's a blog from NHL.com about the camp/games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

This is a pretty damn good blog, giving updates on the games, who's in and out, quotes from Dean Blais, etc.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 10:30 PM
  #216
AlexanderTheGood
Registered User
 
AlexanderTheGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
With Wahl cut from this camp's scrimmage squad, I suppose the position of 4th line centre for the US WJC squad is up for grabs. It will be extremely interesting to see who steps up into that position, though I find it hard to believe that there is anyone out there whose skills can match Wahl's experience. On the issue of goaltending, I feel as though Jack Campbell earned the starter spot at this year's U18, and that it is the responsibility of Mike Lee, or perhaps some other goaltender, to take it from him. Overall, I'd say that the American forward depth could be better, but what it is lacking in depth is made up for in grit.

AlexanderTheGood is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
  #217
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
USA wins the second exhibition match against Russia 6-1.

Jack Campbell made 24 saves for the victory. More stats to follow.
Goal scores for the US tonight were:

Robbie Czarnik
Chris Kreider
Cam Fowler (2)
Kyle Palmieri
Ryan Bourque

Bourque, D'Amigo, and Schroeder all had 2 assists each. Sounds like the Russians were much better this game and the US PK was very good.

Sergey Ostapchuk scored for Russia.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
  #218
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,656
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Way to forget Stepan's 3 assists

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is online now  
Old
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
  #219
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
Box score

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=267120

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
  #220
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,572
vCash: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Goal scores for the US tonight were:

Robbie Czarnik
Chris Kreider
Cam Fowler (2)
Kyle Palmieri
Ryan Bourque

Bourque, D'Amigo, and Schroeder all had 2 assists each. Sounds like the Russians were much better this game and the US PK was very good.

Sergey Ostapchuk scored for Russia.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home


Some of that info seems contradictory with the boxscore...

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
  #221
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post


Some of that info seems contradictory with the boxscore...
Yeah I'm not sure what's up there. Maybe the guy doing the blog has the wrong #'s for some of the players?

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM
  #222
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy17 View Post
Yes, I understand that, but for Wahl to make the team in december, he will need a very strong start next season with Spokane. And even if is so, I have my doubts to see him making the team! If Blais cut Wahl for the games against Russia it's certainly because he wasn't impress by his play.
How do you know that? These games don't count for standings or anything, they are for evaluation. So it's also possible that Blais knows what he's getting out of Wahl and wants to take a closer look at other players. Don't assume anything, especially with Blais.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGood View Post
On the issue of goaltending, I feel as though Jack Campbell earned the starter spot at this year's U18, and that it is the responsibility of Mike Lee, or perhaps some other goaltender, to take it from him.
Once again, don't assume anything. Yes Campbell won a gold last year, but so did Lee. Also, Blais was Lee's coach in Fargo and absolutely knows what Lee can do, that's a huge advantage for Lee.

Rabid Husky is offline  
Old
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
  #223
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,935
vCash: 500
I am very happy with the things I've read about Jerry D'Amigo.

Hopefully Kenny Ryan makes the team as well. 2009 could be a ridiculous draft year for the Maple Leafs.

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
  #224
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Does anyone know the reason that Russia is here this year opposed to Finland and Sweden?
I dont know how close this is to Russia's final roster, but each fall they bring a "B" or "C" team to play CHL allstar candidates for Canadas team and the games have become such a joke that HockeyCanada told Russia to bring their "A" team or not to come at all.
It seems that this couldnt honestly be an "A" team that is in Lake Placid. Looks to be a waste of time.
Filatov,Grachev,Loktyionov,Orlov,Voinov,Kulikov,Bo bkov,Kitzyn,Chernov,Petrov and definitly Kabanov and Kuznetsov will represent Russia at WJC but they arent in roster right now. bot however i do think that Russian team which is in USA right now should do better than this. (8:1 , 6:1). maybe there isnt enough chemistry between guys or is it Mr.Plyushev . his teams allways underachieve at the begin. (he just took over U20). we will see.

pouskin74* is offline  
Old
08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
  #225
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post


Some of that info seems contradictory with the boxscore...
The article is wrong, there's video highlights showing Kristo did in fact score.

Watsatheo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.