HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fear and Loathing In Donald Brashear

Old
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Fear and Loathing In Donald Brashear

Video/commentary on Brashear Signing

Orr/Brashear fight from last year

Ranger Crisis.com

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I really dont like brashear...BUT I'm glad him and his cheap shots are on our side defending gaborik

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
mullichicken25

I don't think i"ll ever cheer for this cave man

It would take something along the lines of Pulling Garborik and Henrik out of a burning hotel before a game and then going on to score 3 unsisted goals leading us to a 3-2 win to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs

at that point ill say "ok...he's allright now"

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
NY Ranger86

it is what it is. The guys a Ranger now, like it or not.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
it is what it is. The guys a Ranger now, like it or not.
Exactly. Nothing anyone of us can do about it, gonna have to live with it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
eco's bones

I've never really liked him and what he did to Betts in the playoffs was brutal--but you also have to keep in mind guys like Samuelsson and Kasparaitis who were very dirty players but Ranger fans including myself came to like them anyway. Need to look around anyway--both the Flyers and the Leafs for two are beefing up. Washington, Boston and Pittsburgh recently have all been bigger and more physical--I liked Orr and how he improved over time but Brashear is more likely to neutralize the advantages other teams had because he has more of a skating/hitting/intimidating game than Orr who was basically just an enforcer who fought other enforcers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I HATE him. absolutly hate him from multipul times like what he did to betts. i want to punch his stupid fat head in!
But, i think he could be a potentially helpful player to our team and the quest for Lord Stanleys Cup

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Jersey Girl

It's normal to dislike a tough guy from an opposing team, it's actually a sign of respect. It means he's doing his job.

But what Brashear did to Betts in the playoffs went way over the line. There is a code among enforcers that Brashear crossed.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
I HATE him. absolutly hate him from multipul times like what he did to betts. i want to punch his stupid fat head in!
But, i think he could be a potentially helpful player to our team and the quest for Lord Stanleys Cup
Maybe you should be the Rangers enforcer

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

So when Orr went up high on Matt Cullen. he was just "doing his job," but when Brashear does it, it's crossing the line, got it.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So when Orr went up high on Matt Cullen. he was just "doing his job," but when Brashear does it, it's crossing the line, got it.
"Keep your head up"

All enforcers throw warning shots but what Brashear has done in his past far out weighs a high hit on Cullen and Ovechkin.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
"Keep your head up"

All enforcers throw warning shots but what Brashear has done in his past far out weighs a high hit on Cullen and Ovechkin.
like?...he's only been suspended twice in his career....

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
pld459666

The jersey says Rangers....I'm a big fan.

I would root for Satan himself should he wear a Rangers Jersey.

Never been a fan of rooting for the name on the back of the jersey simply because of the fact that they change so often.

I have favorite players, but the team I root for is the Rangers.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I never mentioned Orr in my post, not sure why you mentioned him in yours. Nice try, though.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The jersey says Rangers....I'm a big fan.

I would root for Satan himself should he wear a Rangers Jersey.

Never been a fan of rooting for the name on the back of the jersey simply because of the fact that they change so often.

I have favorite players, but the team I root for is the Rangers.
i love the rangers and absolutely want every player wearing that jersey to succeed

however, as a fan/player of the game i niether respect nor care for a player like Brashear and do would not cheer for him, even if he's on my favorite team

Are you a football fan? would you support Micheal Vick if your team brought him on board? i know its an extreme example but it falls under the same school of thought

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I never mentioned Orr in my post, not sure why you mentioned him in yours. Nice try, though.
I didn't realize my post was in direct response to yours, but if that's the way you interpreted it, so be it.

It's just another double standard of when a guy on your team gets injured by a hit versus when someone on your team hurts someone else. Many people (maybe you? I don't know) are lambasting Brashear because of one hit, where most of the damage was done by the way Betts hit the ice, and labeling him as a pure cheap shot artist, but will willing cheer for Avery, and I'd assume went nuts when Orr dropped Cullen, among other events. Stones and glass houses.

Old
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
"Keep your head up"

What has Donald done in his past that makes him so terrible? I thought we had been through this before...

Also, I don't know how you can classify the hits on Ovechkin and Cullen as "warning shots."

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
ak10r

It’s frickin hard enough to be a loyal fan to a core group of individuals who make up the team. With UFA’s and trades, teams have personal turnovers like a cathouse on the weekend.

At least let us hate a person and be loyal the hate of the individual……

Orr was one of my favorite players (sucks he gone) because I think he had a lot of heart and a big pair. I really focused on him when he was on the ice.

The bottom line Brashear did the job he was hired to do…… but we can still hate him.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Garv23

What's done is done. The dude is in a Ranger jersey now so I'm a fan.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Good luck with him. I am just not a fan of his. Watch him this season and you will see what I mean. My pal Frank the Animal fought him three times and beat his butt twice with one draw.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I would have rather kept Orr for 400k less. So Orr loses fights to Brashear and Laraque and that's about it in the league. Brashear is an old fart while Orr is going to stay around for longer, so long as the need for an enforcer stays around.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10r View Post
It’s frickin hard enough to be a loyal fan to a core group of individuals who make up the team. With UFA’s and trades, teams have personal turnovers like a cathouse on the weekend.

At least let us hate a person and be loyal the hate of the individual……

Orr was one of my favorite players (sucks he gone) because I think he had a lot of heart and a big pair. I really focused on him when he was on the ice.

The bottom line Brashear did the job he was hired to do…… but we can still hate him.
That's fine if people want to hate him, I just take issue with the characterization that he's some terrible person with a history of injuring a ton of guys and earning suspensions left and right. I've seen it from a lot of different posters here since we signed him, and I don't get where it's coming from--and I always disliked Brash, so it's not as if I was a huge fan of the move.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I didn't realize my post was in direct response to yours, but if that's the way you interpreted it, so be it.

It's just another double standard of when a guy on your team gets injured by a hit versus when someone on your team hurts someone else. Many people (maybe you? I don't know) are lambasting Brashear because of one hit, where most of the damage was done by the way Betts hit the ice, and labeling him as a pure cheap shot artist, but will willing cheer for Avery, and I'd assume went nuts when Orr dropped Cullen, among other events. Stones and glass houses.
I'm saying I will find it very difficult to root for Brashear because of what he did to Blair Betts in the playoffs. If you want to rationalize that hit by saying it was really the ice that hurt Betts (I suppose when someone is shot it's the bullet that hurts them, not the shooter ), go right ahead.

Brashear was suspended five games by the league for what he did to Betts, Orr was not suspended for the hit on Cullen, and Avery has never been suspened for anything he did on the ice.

Instead of stones and houses you are more about apples and oranges...another nice try.

Old
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

No fear. Just loathing.. Not looking forward to seeing this rubber in a Ranger jersey..

And I love the tough guys!!

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm saying I will find it very difficult to root for Brashear because of what he did to Blair Betts in the playoffs. If you want to rationalize that hit by saying it was really the ice that hurt Betts (I suppose when someone is shot it's the bullet that hurts them, not the shooter ), go right ahead.

Brashear was suspended five games by the league for what he did to Betts, Orr was not suspended for the hit on Cullen, and Avery has never been suspened for anything he did on the ice.

Instead of stones and houses you are more about apples and oranges...another nice try.
Uh, that's not rationalizing it at all, that's exactly what occurred. The majority of the damage done to Betts on that play happened when he hit the ice. That doesn't make Brashear immune to criticism or something because obviously he initiated the contact, but that's what happens in a sport based on physicality and hitting, players get hurt. And that example is laughable at best.

The league is incredible stupid when it comes to handing suspensions out, so you can't use that as some sort of justification. Look at the Mike Brown hit on Hudler in the Detroit/Anaheim series, just as vicious, if not more. The entire basis of the suspension was made after seeing the severity of the injury and Brashear's actions before the game, it's not based on that hit in a bubble.

Dubi's hit on Green and Green's hit on Sjo had equal chances to end in an injury as Brashear's hit on Betts, hell you could argue any hit had an equal chance. Brashear's hit was barely late, was not a deliberate head shot and honestly wasn't that bad (worth 2 minutes but a laughable suspension), aside from the unintended result. Most people are just blinded because the player injured was a Ranger, and like I said, glass houses and stones.