HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who would your team buy out cap-free? (UPDATED)

Old
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Heaters not lazt*

vCash: 500
Boston

Patrice Bergeron - 1 year, $4.75M
2nd Option: Marco Sturm - 1 year, $3.5M
Rationale:Bergeron has been oft-injured and would probably be bought out over Ryder.

Both of these are still wrong... The Bruins would buyout Ryder WITH a cap hit before they buy-out Bergeron for free. And Sturm? Seriously? Dude... haha

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

alfredsson's a really bad choice not only because of the player he is but also because you obviously do not understand his contract.

Alfie's current contract is a combination of two things... a buyout of the two option years on his old contract (the last player where this was applicable, BTW), and a 4-year extention.

as such, buying out alfie next summer would only save 4.875M a year. I think it's a save bet that alfie will be worth that to ottawa.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

No chance Ballard would be bought out, but for the purposes of this thread it would be Olesz for the Panthers.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
OT: YAAAAAAH POLSKA!!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH POLSKA PROUD

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
blankall

hahahaha the Flames buy out Phaneuf?

Are you serious? Why would they ever do that. If they needed to get rid of his contract they would just trade him for a ton of picks and prospects. Why would they take a Norris nominee and all star defencemen and pay all that money not to have him on the team?

Virtually every team in the league would trade you a slew of picks for him, and you wouldn't have to pay a dime.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
Ottawa
Daniel Alfredsson - 3 years, $5.4M
2nd Option: Chris Kelly - 2 years, $2M
Rationale:I chose Alfredsson due to his cap hit at ages 38, 39, and 40. I doubt Heatley or Spezza would be bought out because they are much younger. Alfredsson does make sense due to age, but Senators fans suggested Kelly, so there's option 2.
Your rationale for Sens buying out Alfie makes about as much sense as me suggesting the Devils would buy out Brodeur as he's also getting up there in age...

Absolutely BRUTAL pick. Buy out a player that is making 4.8mil and hasn't scored less than 70pts in this decade!?!? AFTER already buying him out just to get him re-signed for a longer term??!

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Your rationale for Sens buying out Alfie makes about as much sense as me suggesting the Devils would buy out Brodeur as he's also getting up there in age...

Absolutely BRUTAL pick. Buy out a player that is making 4.8mil and hasn't scored less than 70pts in this decade!?!? AFTER already buying him out just to get him re-signed for a longer term??!
You're going to have to explain to me in more detail about this contract Alfredsson has. I'm not sure what happened there, but my understanding is if you buy a player out, he's bought out and the contract is over. What exactly did Ottawa do?

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:57 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
You're going to have to explain to me in more detail about this contract Alfredsson has. I'm not sure what happened there, but my understanding is if you buy a player out, he's bought out and the contract is over. What exactly did Ottawa do?
I'm not sure of the exact details, but Alfie had three option years in his previous contract which the Sens bought out for a bit over $2mil and then signed Alfie to a 4-yr, $19.5mil deal. This was done to ensure Alfie doesn't opt out of his contract at any point in the future. ie. To ensure Alfie remains a Senator. Anyways, the league decided to account for the $2mil payment by spreading it out over the length of the contract. So that portion of the cap hit would likely not be relevant in any future buyout, since it has already been bought out.

But Alfie is worth more than 4.8 to 5.4mil anyways, and likely will be for the entire duration of the contract. Come on man, he's been the Sens captain for a decade and you think they'd buy him out rather than let him play out a contract that they just went out of their way to get him signed to?

Old
07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Alfredsson's contract had option years on it since it was carried over from the Old CBA. We had the option of buying out the option years so we could extend him to a new contract.

His current contract only pays 4.875M, but the buyout of the option years brings his total cap hit to 5.35M. He's still paid salary from his option years, so I don't think that would be included in an amnesty buyout.

Still it's VERY beside the point, Alfredsson is still an effective player regardless of what people say about his "decline". I would definitely want to see more evidence of it before drawing a conclusion on that because the system we were playing had a wholesale effect on the team's offense and Alfredsson was not immune to that.

From a needs standpoint, remove Alfredsson from the list entirely. Kelly, Neil, and Fisher would be 1,2&3 on the list if we're looking to shed salary. They're far easier players to replace than Alfredsson, so realistically the list starts there.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Phoenix
Ed Jovanovski - 1 year, $6.5M
Rationale:Phoenix is unlikely to buy out anyone, but this would save the most money upfront to a team that is having financial trouble.
Still doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't save the Coyotes any money at all. This would be a hugely expensive waste of money. Why on earth would the Coyotes pay Ed Jovanovski four million dollars not to play for them when they could just pay him six million dollars to be a top-pairing defenseman for them? Four million for nothing, and then having to spend the money to sign a top-pairing replacement, will cost a **** ton more money than six million, total.

If one player HAS to be bought out, I still think it'd be Fedoruk. He contributes nothing and costs one million dollars. A million bucks is worth more to a franchise like Phoenix, than it is to other clubs. You buy out Fedoruk and you're paying 666k for nothing, rather than 1M for nothing. That's a savings of 333k for nothing. Even then, he'll probaby cost 450-600k to replace with another guy pulling healthy scratch duty, so it's really same-same.

Last edited by rt: 07-14-2009 at 02:35 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Still it's VERY beside the point, Alfredsson is still an effective player regardless of what people say about his "decline". I would definitely want to see more evidence of it before drawing a conclusion on that because the system we were playing had a wholesale effect on the team's offense and Alfredsson was not immune to that.
This. Alfie was #1 in terms of scoring on a Sens team that had two 7+mil forwards, but he's in decline? Anyone who watches the Sens regularly knows that Alfie is still by far the best player on this team.