HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2009-2010 Schedule thread

Old
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
habsjosh2k2

vCash: 500
2009-2010 Schedule thread

I thought we can use this thread to discuss the habs' schedule for the 09-10 season, which comes out today at 3pm.

Some info has already been leaked at http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...5-1649751.html

As we already know, the habs will start the season in Toronto on Oct.1. Then we have a game in Buffalo, probably on the Friday. Followed by a road trip to western Canada, to face the Flames, Oilers, and Canucks.

Our home opener is not till October 15, against the Avalanche.

We will face the Capitals on November 28th, but it has not been confirmed yet if it will be played at the Big O.

We close out the centennial celebrations against the Bruins on December 4th.

habsjosh2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
When was the last time we started the season at home? Must be going on 5 years now...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
habsjosh2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
When was the last time we started the season at home? Must be going on 5 years now...
I know, it seems that every year we are one of the last teams to have their home opener.

habsjosh2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
I remember reading Boivin saying that the habs want it that way. It gives the team a chance to gel together before comming back home. Road trip are also easier in the begining of the season when everyone is healthy and fresh versus latter in the winter when everyone is fighting for a spot. Also, remember that for many franchises, games versus the habs are automatic crowd pleasers and thus pretty lucrative: having the opportunity to meet them for their home oppeners is a good way to start the season with a splash. So it's a win-win for everyone.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I remember reading Boivin saying that the habs want it that way. It gives the team a chance to gel together before comming back home. Road trip are also easier in the begining of the season when everyone is healthy and fresh versus latter in the winter when everyone is fighting for a spot. Also, remember that for many franchises, games versus the habs are automatic crowd pleasers and thus pretty lucrative: having the opportunity to meet them for their home oppeners is a good way to start the season with a splash. So it's a win-win for everyone.
Boivin's job is to make it sound as if everything is always perfect.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I guess I can understand the logic there...but on the other hand the wins usually come easier at home. If you start with a home stand you get a couple of W's under your belt and build confidence quicker. You're a lot more likely to go 0-3 on a road trip than on a home stand, for example.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
David_99

Quote:
I guess I can understand the logic there...but on the other hand the wins usually come easier at home. If you start with a home stand you get a couple of W's under your belt and build confidence quicker. You're a lot more likely to go 0-3 on a road trip than on a home stand, for example.
We also usually finish the season with something like 11 of the last 16 games at home, so that helps during that final push.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
99-00. Islanders were 98-99 until this upcoming season.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
skule123

Sorry if this is a lazy post, but what are our records across the past span of season opening road trips?

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Sorry if this is a lazy post, but what are our records across the past span of season opening road trips?
08/09 2-0-1
07/08 2-0-1
06/07 2-0-1
05/06 3-0-0
03/04 1-1-0
02/03 1-0-0
01/02 1-0-0
00/01 0-2-0

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Woland

A home-opener two weeks after the start of the season ....what a joke. All this because of STUPID DISNEY ON ICE !!!!!

This is in no way a Hockey decision , but pure business. Boivin can try all he want's to make this sound good...

http://www.centrebell.ca/fr/page/calendar/2009/10.

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
We also usually finish the season with something like 11 of the last 16 games at home, so that helps during that final push.
Good point.

Although it sure didn't help last year

Old
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjosh2k2 View Post
I thought we can use this thread to discuss the habs' schedule for the 09-10 season, which comes out today at 3pm.

Some info has already been leaked at http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...5-1649751.html

As we already know, the habs will start the season in Toronto on Oct.1. Then we have a game in Buffalo, probably on the Friday. Followed by a road trip to western Canada, to face the Flames, Oilers, and Canucks.

Our home opener is not till October 15, against the Avalanche.

We will face the Capitals on November 28th, but it has not been confirmed yet if it will be played at the Big O.

We close out the centennial celebrations against the Bruins on December 4th.

Really doubt we play the Bruins Dec.4th,it's a Friday night,the game will be the following day Dec.5th

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
A home-opener two weeks after the start of the season ....what a joke. All this because of STUPID DISNEY ON ICE !!!!!

This is in no way a Hockey decision , but pure business. Boivin can try all he want's to make this sound good...

Don't forget that the NHL usually starts the 2nd week of October more or less,this year because of the Olympics it will start a week before,same as always.Those home games in the 2nd half of the season could be important and I would rather have them at home then on the road.

New bunch of guys,2 weeks on the road should get them to gel real quick,not a bad thing this season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:

With all the new faces, I'm glad we start with a road trip. Better chances for them to gel and get to know each other. Plus I think the pressure of starting in Montreal after the gigantic collapse of last season could have been a handicap more than anything, so having the chance to get a few games away from that to build chemistry and confidence when it all starts is a blessing in disguise.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

I wasn't quoting Boivin "this season", I read that many years ago.

And for all we know, maybe Disney on ice is at the Bell Center during this time precisely because the habs won't be there?

Old
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Boivin's job is to make it sound as if everything is always perfect.
I fail to see your point. Every teams have a say about their schedule. Why then have the habs been begining away for so long? Because-Gainey-And-Boivin-Are-Dumb or Because-There-Is-A-Conspiracy-Against-The-Habs?

Old
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
This is probably the best season to have to start on the road for several games and with a road trip out west. It should be a good bonding experience for this ''new'' team.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Being in New Jersey, hopefully we get dates favorable for me to make the drive to see games in Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, and of course New Jersey. Last season wasn't so good.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Ross MacLochness

Last couple of times we've gone out to western Canada it's been right as we are playing our worst hockey of the year. Especially last years trip, what a joke that was. We even found the time to head to Colorado and get dominated before it was done. Hopefully we'll be a little fresher at the start of the year and put up a better showing. Mid-late 90's going there was 6 easy points.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Last couple of times we've gone out to western Canada it's been right as we are playing our worst hockey of the year. Especially last years trip, what a joke that was. We even found the time to head to Colorado and get dominated before it was done. Hopefully we'll be a little fresher at the start of the year and put up a better showing. Mid-late 90's going there was 6 easy points.
We actually managed to beat Colorado on that disastrous road trip last year.

Old
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
We actually managed to beat Colorado on that disastrous road trip last year.
Yeah I know but we only touched the puck once or twice after the first period. If AKost didn't score right at the end there we likely would've went 0-for that entire 6 or 7 game trip.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Yeah I know but we only touched the puck once or twice after the first period. If AKost didn't score right at the end there we likely would've went 0-for that entire 6 or 7 game trip.
Ahh yeah I get you.

Yeah...if we couldn't manage to beat Colorado on that trip...yeesh.