HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lemaire returning as Devils Head Coach

Old
07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Zirp

vCash: 500
Lol... looks like Lou is just setting himself up to get a little more coaching in. At least Lemaire is familiar with assuming the position.

Zirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:15 AM
marty30brodeur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
lou lams is making his moves this year based on the assumption that the cap is going down next year...thats an interesting way to do business....i mean that team is not going to compete for a cup as constructed, and wont for a long long time. their prospect pool is pathetic..HF has them listed at 28th (before this years draft) with the Isles and wild below them...well with Tavares that shoots the isles up into the top 10, and the devils didnt have that great of a draft (though the josefson pick was a good one)...id still rank them at around 28th or 29th in the NHL...

so you have a GM, who is losing key players, who refuses to go into free agency to get players to replace them, who hasnt made a truly significant trade in about 5-7 years, and who has few prospects with which to bring in to replace these players....

right now the devils are going to live and die by their system. It will make them win more games than they will lose, but once they get into the playoffs and play against clubs with superior firepower and talent, they are going to be overwhelmed...and will be like that for a long time to come.

make no mistake about it, unless the Devils come out of nowhere and trade for Heatley, they are going to be in a helluva predicament for the future.

to contrast, the Rangers go and get free agents, make trades, and have the 12th best prospect pool according to HF, and thats not including the graduates of Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Korpi and Girardi.
i know people love to take a dump on sather, but he isnt afraid to make moves..and honestly, i really admire that about him..he isnt scared to shake things up, to try new things, to get younger, to build with youth, to augment with free agents, to do whatever it takes to win...has he been all that successful as a Rangers GM? no, not at all, but hes trying, and right now, i like the way the rangers are constructed for this year and for the future a HELL of a lot more than the way the devils are constructed.

with that said I think Lemaire is a good choice when you consider the sheer lack of talent that plagues the Devils. He'll get them to the playoffs year after year after year... but, imho, that's as far as it goes.
im sorry but the devils easily have a top 10 defense in this league. They are top 5 in defense every single yr, and stop saying its because of the system. Everyone uses a freaking system.

marty30brodeur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:31 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I do not know the article you speak of, but given the domestic economy, the poor outlook going forward, the hit the canadian dollar has taken recently, expectations for inflation, unemployment encroaching 10% in the United States, and a host of other reasons, I do not see how anyone could reasonably expect the cap to not go down in 2010/11.

So can I see the future, you ask?

No. But what I can do is read the writing on the wall.
As long as tickets are selling and people are watching the games on tv the world could be on fire, but the NHL would be fine. And I don't think you can find a single source that states this year the NHL was any worse off revenue wise then the years before that.

Even with unemployment at 10% that's roughly 5% higher than normal...how many of those 5% (or 7-9million actual people) are hockey fans? I don't know, but apparently not enough to stop packing arenas.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
lou lams is making his moves this year based on the assumption that the cap is going down next year...thats an interesting way to do business....i mean that team is not going to compete for a cup as constructed, and wont for a long long time. their prospect pool is pathetic..HF has them listed at 28th (before this years draft) with the Isles and wild below them...well with Tavares that shoots the isles up into the top 10, and the devils didnt have that great of a draft (though the josefson pick was a good one)...id still rank them at around 28th or 29th in the NHL...

so you have a GM, who is losing key players, who refuses to go into free agency to get players to replace them, who hasnt made a truly significant trade in about 5-7 years, and who has few prospects with which to bring in to replace these players....

right now the devils are going to live and die by their system. It will make them win more games than they will lose, but once they get into the playoffs and play against clubs with superior firepower and talent, they are going to be overwhelmed...and will be like that for a long time to come.

make no mistake about it, unless the Devils come out of nowhere and trade for Heatley, they are going to be in a helluva predicament for the future.

to contrast, the Rangers go and get free agents, make trades, and have the 12th best prospect pool according to HF, and thats not including the graduates of Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Korpi and Girardi.
i know people love to take a dump on sather, but he isnt afraid to make moves..and honestly, i really admire that about him..he isnt scared to shake things up, to try new things, to get younger, to build with youth, to augment with free agents, to do whatever it takes to win...has he been all that successful as a Rangers GM? no, not at all, but hes trying, and right now, i like the way the rangers are constructed for this year and for the future a HELL of a lot more than the way the devils are constructed.

with that said I think Lemaire is a good choice when you consider the sheer lack of talent that plagues the Devils. He'll get them to the playoffs year after year after year... but, imho, that's as far as it goes.
Our prospect pool isnt really that bad and I'm pretty sure those ratings are produced by fans of their own teams so people can view prospects as better than they actually are

I would say you guys have us beat on the defensive side of the prospect pool but the offensive side is pretty damn close

Tedenby => Grachev
Josefson =< Ansimov
Halischuk is probably gonna be a callahan esque player for us
Cormier = Dubinsky
Bergfors < Ansimov, Grachev but still not shabby

So to say that the Devils prospect pool sucks is pretty absurd and Parise and Zajac are still relatively young players who probably will be better than any prospect or young player you have

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
Our prospect pool isnt really that bad and I'm pretty sure those ratings are produced by fans of their own teams so people can view prospects as better than they actually are

I would say you guys have us beat on the defensive side of the prospect pool but the offensive side is pretty damn close

Tedenby => Grachev
Josefson =< Ansimov
Halischuk is probably gonna be a callahan esque player for us
Cormier = Dubinsky
Bergfors < Ansimov, Grachev but still not shabby

So to say that the Devils prospect pool sucks is pretty absurd and Parise and Zajac are still relatively young players who probably will be better than any prospect or young player you have
You would find A LOT of people that dispute the statement that "Tedenby is better than Grachev." Not just Rangers fans, but fans of prospects in general. Especially when you go and say that a guy who has yet to play above the Q is equal to a guy that has shown to be at least a 40 point center in the NHL.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You would find A LOT of people that dispute the statement that "Tedenby is better than Grachev." Not just Rangers fans, but fans of prospects in general. Especially when you go and say that a guy who has yet to play above the Q is equal to a guy that has shown to be at least a 40 point center in the NHL.
probably because he's more noticeable since he plays in canada...tedenby is gonna turn a lot of heads in wjc this year and cormier is about as much of a sure thing to be a pro player as you can get in a prospect...easily gonna be a 3rd line center and maybe a 2nd line center much like dubinsky

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Salz

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142009...ils_179106.htm

Terrific article by Larry Brooks on the Devils terrible hiring.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post

I def expect your 2/3 line players to improve comparably to the likes of the top line, but I felt that maybe players like Parise and Zajac might have a hard time learning and adjusting to the new (or is it old lol) style... I have no doubt that you guys will be successful this year, but it seemed like you were at the brink of an offensive explosion, not only in Devils terms, but other teams were now weary of your offense first!!
I just want to say that before Lemaire was announced as coach, myself and many other posters felt a player like Parise would have his numbers drop a bit. Before everyone says "OMGZ lookz at Parise in the DEFENSE." we need to take into account that Parise is going to get covered A LOT more. He was a top-10 player in the league last year... he was maybe a top 30 the year before. The pressure will be on.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote