HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you tie your skates?

Old
07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
How do you tie your skates?

How does everyone here tie their skates?

I tie them tight without much effort until the last 2 or 3 holes, and then really crank it out. It isn't even that effective for how much damage I do to my hands.

I'm interested to see how you guys are doing it, and maybe I'll change things up a bit.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
densetsu

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/standardknot.htm

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Hockeyfan68

I tie mine the "right way" supposedly according to that Laura Stamm (?) (That power skating book manual) post someone made in here.

Moderately tight from the toes to the mid portion and then very tight in the mid portion (front ankle part) to sink the heel into the heel of the boot and then moderately tight on the upper ankles.

Before that I tied everything too tightly and have noticed that sometimes less is more performance wise.

One is never too old to change their ways apparently .... yay for me. I'm an old dog that can learn new tricks. I got in the habit of tying them too tightly because of not having good skates in the late 70s. It has been a subconscience thing and nowadays skates are very stiff and a good quality compared to the old outdated skates.

Anyway the feel of the skate improved after doing this change this year. Thanks once again to this forum for being educational.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I tie mine the "right way" supposedly according to that Laura Stamm (?) (That power skating book manual) post someone made in here.

Moderately tight from the toes to the mid portion and then very tight in the mid portion (front ankle part) to sink the heel into the heel of the boot and then moderately tight on the upper ankles.

Before that I tied everything too tightly and have noticed that sometimes less is more performance wise.

One is never too old to change their ways apparently .... yay for me. I'm an old dog that can learn new tricks. I got in the habit of tying them too tightly because of not having good skates in the late 70s. It has been a subconscience thing and nowadays skates are very stiff and a good quality compared to the old outdated skates.

Anyway the feel of the skate improved after doing this change this year. Thanks once again to this forum for being educational.
I pretty much tie my skates the same way, though I'll occasionally do the top eyelets too tightly and end up with lace bite. Whenever this happens I have to switch to leaving the top eyelet unlaced until everything heals.

The top eyelet laced vs unlaced is really a tradeoff. For whatever reason my backwards skating slows to a crawl when I leave the top eyelet unlaced.

There's also the option of lacing up your skates inside-outside (lace enters the eyelet from the inside of the boot, exits from the outside) or outside-inside (lace enters eyelet from the outside of the boot, exits on the inside). I do outside-inside b/c I find that it "grabs" a lot better. The section of the boot remains tight after tugging the lace, whereas with the other method it loosens up fairly quickly.

Last edited by noobman: 07-13-2009 at 01:26 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

If your hands hurt, just get one of these things: http://www.goal-line-golf.com/hockey...prod_1726.html

I got one at a local sports store for like $2. I pretty much tie the whole thing as tight as I could even though I guess most people only tie the top couple laces really tight. They just feel too loose down low otherwise and I can't turn or stop as well.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
hubby1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
ah the ole loop swoop and pull method. I heard a good way to do it is to tie everything pretty tight and then not as tight at the ankle to allow some ankle movement. I like that way.

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Snug though the toe to the middle of the boot, tight from then on. I have easton skates, which are low cut, so doing what I do will probably feel similar to leaving the top unlaced or looser on higher cut skates.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Placebo Effect

I don't touch the bottom five or so eyelets. Then I tighten the rest as hard as I can.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I pretty much tie my skates the same way, though I'll occasionally do the top eyelets too tightly and end up with lace bite. Whenever this happens I have to switch to leaving the top eyelet unlaced until everything heals.

The top eyelet laced vs unlaced is really a tradeoff. For whatever reason my backwards skating slows to a crawl when I leave the top eyelet unlaced.

There's also the option of lacing up your skates inside-outside (lace enters the eyelet from the inside of the boot, exits from the outside) or outside-inside (lace enters eyelet from the outside of the boot, exits on the inside). I do outside-inside b/c I find that it "grabs" a lot better. The section of the boot remains tight after tugging the lace, whereas with the other method it loosens up fairly quickly.
That's funny you mention that outside in lacing technique. I used to have them inside out and now have them reversed to the correct way which is at the bottom the laces go over the eylets. I can't describe it well here sorry but you know what I am saying because you do it from what you said. I agree it is better.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Pog Form

I've recently been experimenting with a bit of a looser fit, and I seem to be doing pretty well. I'm going to be getting some Superfeet shortly, so we'll see how that affects things too.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
If your hands hurt, just get one of these things: http://www.goal-line-golf.com/hockey...prod_1726.html

I got one at a local sports store for like $2. I pretty much tie the whole thing as tight as I could even though I guess most people only tie the top couple laces really tight. They just feel too loose down low otherwise and I can't turn or stop as well.
I find that those things don't work. When I was between 12 and 15 I used 'them', but they would keep bending when I pulled my laces tight. I say 'them' because I must have gone through like 15 of them. I tie every lace as tight as I can, because as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to know that I'm even wearing a skate. Anyway, I've been using my hands ever since, but I think it's equally possible that I had a low-quality lace-tightener back then. Or maybe they're made better now. Either way, I trust my flesh and bones more.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:53 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrien Fired419 View Post
I find that those things don't work. When I was between 12 and 15 I used 'them', but they would keep bending when I pulled my laces tight. I say 'them' because I must have gone through like 15 of them. I tie every lace as tight as I can, because as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to know that I'm even wearing a skate. Anyway, I've been using my hands ever since, but I think it's equally possible that I had a low-quality lace-tightener back then. Or maybe they're made better now. Either way, I trust my flesh and bones more.

Why not just improvise with a cheap piece of hardware from the store? I used a tiny iron hook screwed into a 75 cent unsanded wooden handle and it works perfectly for a nearly identical purpose.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use Gorilla laces which hold tighter than waxed laces. I lace up outside-in from the bottom up about halfway (gives more volume and doesn't come loose), then normal inside-out up to the second from top eyelet. I don't lace the top eyelet. When I tie them, I tighten them so they are snug starting from where they are laced normally up to the 3rd eyelet, where I pull them very tight, tie the knot, good to go.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Frankie Spankie

I saw a few cheaper looking lace tighteners while looking for that one. I don't know the exact one I have because I've had it for 5 years now and it hasn't shown any signs of wear/tear yet. Like VHC said, you could improvise with something at a hardware store or just look for stronger ones. Mine is pretty thick so it's really strong and hasn't bent at all yet. In fact, it snapped a pair of laces once before (old old pair that were going anyway) and still hasn't even started bending or anything.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:10 AM
TheBigZ

Moderately tight from the bottom to the middle and then prety loose at the top, leaving the top eyelet open.

TheBigZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

I like my skates to be super tight it makes me feel have control and i benefit from it the most, even during shinny, or when i'm playing out for fun i still do it

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

I tighten all the laces lightly first, so they are all straight and no all loose and pulled up, I get them all flat. Then I tighten the first laces a little bit, and get tighter as I go farter up. My laces are still really long after that, so I loop them around the back of the skate, and tie a regular knot in front.

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I have mine a bit looser at the top so I can have a better ankle/toe snap in my stride.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Hyperkookeez*

very tight for the first 3/4 of the skate. moderately tight for the rest

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
hockeyr5

Not too tight. I pretty just lace it up and make sure it is snug.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
RangersAM99

i like them a bit loose

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
TheGooooch

I just started ice but I started with tightening up everything like crazy. I quickly changed that to having the first 4 or 5 somewhat loose and then tightening up everything the rest of the way like crazy.

Today I just tried leaving the top eyelet a little loose and noticed a difference but am going to give it a shot a couple more times

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Rickety Cricket

I have a helper monkey named Mojo who does this kind of stuff.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Ryan52

really tight all the way up

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:28 AM
crosby rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
they actually work very well

crosby rocks is offline   Reply With Quote