HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings sign Brandon Segal

Old
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He'll probably be the guy that gets called up and down all season so that the development of prospects is not disrupted.
The 09-10 version of Richardson.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
ciccarelli80

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
The 09-10 version of Richardson.
That's what came to mind for me too.

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciccarelli80 View Post
+ 2 more contracts (may not count if returned to juniors, Loktionov and Voinov also fall under this category)
I didn't include Martin Jones and Colten Teubert because the only way they're going to make it on the 50 contract list is if they make the Kings roster outright. They have not played the requisite four seasons in the CHL and will not turn 20 before December 31, 2009 to qualify to play in the AHL or ECHL.

For a skater (in Teubert's case) the minimum number of games needed to qualify for a season is 25 games, which he did not meet in 2005-2006. I don't know if it's different for a goalie, but Martin Jones only has three seasons to his credit so it's rather a moot point with him.

If they manage to make the roster I'll change their status, but until it happens I'm not putting them on there, from a personal preference standpoint.

Voinov played last season in the AHL so he should count for this season. I myself haven't ever heard of a case where a player plays in the AHL for an entire season then the subsequent year returns to the CHL so I couldn't even begin to tell you if that's allowed, how it affects his contract terms, or even how that might affect the pro contract limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
I have us at 43. Don't believe Loktionov counts yet and Acevedo has still not signed a Kings contract.
I added Andrei Loktionov because Lombardi mentioned that he would definitely be playing in Manchester this year. If that situation changes I'll edit it, but the distinction I make between Loktionov and Teubert/Jones is that Loktionov can go to the AHL whereas the other two cannot.

Justin Acevedo is provisional and it's why he's mentioned with the parenthetical blurb. Lombardi mentioned in an interview that he would be signed to a pro contract this year.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

hmmm, then who did we BLOW a second draft pick on then, is this guy going to be better then Clifford....

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:02 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
hmmm, then who did we BLOW a second draft pick on then, is this guy going to be better then Clifford....
How so? Clifford's stock was rising and Redline had him late 1st/early 2nd round. Segal is AHL depth, nothing more.

Clifford didn't bloom until the second half of his second season in the OHL, but he's blossomed into a power winger who can skate, drop the gloves and pop the occasional goal. He's a legitimate tough guy who skates quite well for a big man and has enough skill to play a regular shift. Lots of teams are laying in the weeds on this kid and somebody will get an itchy trigger finger early in the second round for fear that another club will jump up and grab him.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 07-13-2009 at 09:07 PM.
SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
nothing wrong with signing a 25 year old RW who would have been #2 in scoring in Manchester last year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...026722009.html

In 2002-2003, only had 10 points less than Getzlaf on the Hitmen:
Also about doubled his points last year. Could be a late bloomer who is putting it together.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=48685

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
How so? Clifford's stock was rising and Redline had him late 1st/early 2nd round. Segal is AHL depth, nothing more.

Clifford didn't bloom until the second half of his second season in the OHL, but he's blossomed into a power winger who can skate, drop the gloves and pop the occasional goal. He's a legitimate tough guy who skates quite well for a big man and has enough skill to play a regular shift. Lots of teams are laying in the weeds on this kid and somebody will get an itchy trigger finger early in the second round for fear that another club will jump up and grab him.

They seem kinda the same to me, maybe Clifford fights more, but so will Simmonds, still not sold on this pick. I know character blah blah blah, maybe we could of gone with more skill with the pick if players of the same caliber or close to the same caliber can be picked up like Segal was.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
McSorley 33

Clifford won't make the team for two to three years........Segal can be used now.

I think Clifford was a good pick after reading about him. I'm sure Tuebert and Clifford will be cracking skulls in the nhl soon.

And don't forget Simmonds...

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
Here's what I've got so far:

14. Drew Bagnall (qualified)
17. Joe Piskula (qualified)
18. Brady Murray (qualified)
23. Corey Elkins (qualified)
24. Teddy Purcell (qualified)
28. Jack Johnson (qualified)
Do we have confirmation of these?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Well Hammonds said that everyone except a few listed players (I cannot remember all of the ones listed) were qualified....So I would say yes.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Captain Ron

The players not qualified were....

Bryan Cameron
Matt Fillier
Josh Kidd
Linden Rowat

All other Kings prospects and players were qualified.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Quote:
The Kings have extended qualifying offers to defenseman Drew Bagnall, defenseman Jack Johnson, forward Brady Murray, forward Scott Parse, defenseman Joe Piskula, forward Teddy Purcell and forward Kevin Westgarth. The team did not extend offers to forward Vladimir Dravecky and goaltender Daniel Taylor who will become unrestricted free agents.
Link

For the players not tendered an offer see the Kings free agent tracker here.

Last edited by Primakov!: 07-14-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote