Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Glennie is now the highest unsigned pick from last year's draft.
Not sure what to make of the guy. Sensational Spezza makes it seem like he has plenty of upside, but from what I saw at the Mem Cup and from what you hear amongst Brandon faithful, I not that optimistic. You see a lot of Glennie t-shirts in the crowd, but you don't hear many positive comments about his play this season. Some spec a slightly inflated ego, but it could just be more expectations and pressure he is putting on himself with the high drafting. I'm also glad to know he was injured during the Calgary game in the Round Robin because I thought he was just benched because he was playing awful IMO; it makes more sense now, but sportsnet never said a word about it. Of course I was watching his every move and his size and speed are impressive, but I saw a lot of turn overs and not a lot of battle or will to his game considering it was the biggest stage in Jr. next to the WJC. His only points were assists on the PP, and when he was demoted to play on the 3rd line with Weibe and ? - I forget who the LW was, but it was noticable that the 1st line started to click when Stone was moved up to play with Calvert and Schenn. In the first period of the Brandon Calgary game, the first line didn't have any sustained pressure or possession, and I doubt they had a shot either. Then Glennie was no where to be seen the rest of the night. From the 2nd of that game thru the final 2 playoff games, Stone was clearly more effective winning the battles in the corners and getting the puck to Calvert and Schenn. It's only one tourney, but I was expecting quite a bit more from one of the most potent offenses in Junior hockey.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Glennie is now the highest unsigned pick from last year's draft.
Anyone else find it amusing that Glennie isn't signed but our 5th round pick from the same draft is? I don't know all the bugaboos of these things when do they have to have Glennie signed by?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Next June 1st.

Vincour got signed for a few reasons. He'll be cheaper than Glennie, although he wasn't exactly cheap. He's older and 100% going to the AHL this fall whereas Glennie is 99% going back to juniors. They might have also wanted to head off any potential Roman-esque situation at the pass.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Blazephr

RE: 2010 Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament

September 11-15th

The teams slated to be there are:

Rangers, Detroit, Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis, Minnesota, Columbus and Dallas.

Drop the NHL Network an e-mail in regard to Traverse City. I was told last year, they may consider airing it again if they see a demand for it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Leafsfan96

Who are there Top 20 Prospect?

Leafsfan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Anyone else find it amusing that Glennie isn't signed but our 5th round pick from the same draft is? I don't know all the bugaboos of these things when do they have to have Glennie signed by?
Vincour is AHL eligible and will be playing in Austin this fall. Glennie by virtue of his age is not, so they're saving money by not giving him a contract or the bonus he would otherwise receive until they have to.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:06 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Vincour is AHL eligible and will be playing in Austin this fall. Glennie by virtue of his age is not, so they're saving money by not giving him a contract or the bonus he would otherwise receive until they have to.
The only bonus money he can receive is a $90,000 signing bonus per year. All other bonus money is tied up in performance at the NHL level. If $180,000 ($90,000 this year and $90,000 in 2010-11) holds up signing Glennie, Dallas is in worse shape than anyone imagined.

If Dallas doesn’t sign him by next summer, they will receive the 38th overall pick in the 2011 draft. I wouldn’t call Glennie’s season a great success, but it also seems unlikely that they would think the 38th overall pick next year would be more valuable than Glennie.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:21 AM
airforceones25

will Richard Bachman see anytime with the big club in net this year?

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
vofty

He is penciled in to be in Austin next year, the most likely scenario I see him getting time in Dallas is as a late season call-up if the Stars are out of it. The other scenario is if Lehtonen gets injured but that scenario is more complicated as he isn't the first in line to spend time in Dallas. If the Stars sign a backup goaltender via free agency than Krahn would be the first call-up. If Stars keep with their trend of being cheap than Krahn will be the backup in Dallas and depending on if Climie is re-signed would determine if Bachman is the first call-up.

It boils down to this Bachman is the best goaltending prospect in the Stars system and management is taking their time with him.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
BigG44

According to Heika, the team will allow Beskorowany and Bachman to compete for time in the AHL. Bachman, at least according to the report, will not be given that job.

Bachman may be more NHL ready than Besko at this time, but I doubt the team considers him their best prospect. Every time someone in the organization talks about goalies, the say the team needs to get bigger. IMO, it doesn't seem like Bachman is a long-term solution in net for the Stars based on their frequent comments about goalie size.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
The size thing is just a reaction to being tired of Turco. Turco's size was never a problem when he still had his athleticism and positioning, both of which Bachman possesses in spades.

They talk more about Besko because he's the higher pick. There's no doubt in my mind that Bachman will be more successful in the AHL next year.

And if you theoretically are high on Besko, it makes sense to develop him gradually. Nothing about his numbers in the OHL say "I'm ready to skip a step".

Plus I think those quotes are just the typical motivation fodder for camp. They don't really mean anything.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
According to Heika, the team will allow Beskorowany and Bachman to compete for time in the AHL. Bachman, at least according to the report, will not be given that job.

Bachman may be more NHL ready than Besko at this time, but I doubt the team considers him their best prospect. Every time someone in the organization talks about goalies, the say the team needs to get bigger. IMO, it doesn't seem like Bachman is a long-term solution in net for the Stars based on their frequent comments about goalie size.
I never said Bachman was the long-term solution in net for the Stars, but in my opinion Bachman is the best goaltending prospect the Stars have, for whatever that means. Climie, if they can even get him under contract, was inconsistent behind once of the best defenses in the AHL, when not challenged by Krahn. Krahn is great but has obvious injury issues that won't go away. Besko is absolutely huge, but Bachman is better in every other facet. Besko has a higher ceiling but if he will ever fulfill is a big if.

Old
06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Long-term, those people who crave big goaltenders will likely not still be around so in my eyes it's a moot point. I can see how one would think that it's better to play the odds when bringing goalies into the fold, but goaltending is a position based on results. If Bachman proves to be solid, yet they hold him back because he's too small, then shame on them for being close-minded.

I liken this to baseball people craving big, tall pitchers. At the end of the day though, the reigning two-time NL Cy Young winner is 5'11 and 170 lbs soaking wet. Smart management teams go with results.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
BigG44

So Brandon is for sure losing Matt Calvert (top scorer), Aaron Lewadniuk (4th best scorer), and Jay Fehr (5th best scorer).

Toni Rajala is returning to Finland, and he was their 6th best scorer.

Their 2 best D are old enough to join the AHL as well as several other forwards, and I can't imagine most of them returning (for sure the 2 D are gone).

Luckily, LA has kept most of their higher picks in the CHL for 2 years. There's a decent chance Brayden Schenn returns.

However, it's hard to imagine that Brandon can replace all that fire power. If they put Glennie at center, Schenn and Glennie won't have proven wingers. Glennie is really going to have to work his butt off to become a “superstar” in the WHL like Dallas is hoping.