HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hockey Futures Capitals Draft Review Is Up

Old
07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
dbui72

vCash: 500
Hockey Futures Capitals Draft Review Is Up

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

Your thoughts?

Orlov might be the biggest surprise to me and steal.

I hope Benjamin Casavant turns out to be an Andrew Brunette atleast, the guy was not a great skater but was a dependable scorer.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:38 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Does anyone else find it humorous that for the second year in a row, the Caps use their first two picks on a (swedish) center and an offensively inclined defenseman, and the second of the two picks is universally received as the better pick? Im not complaining or putting down either of the two center prospects, but that strikes me as a pretty interesting coincidence.

I think that the write-up is spot on. One of the Swedish posters on this forum made the prediction to me that Johansson would be better offensively than most pundits seem to forecasting, but apart from that minor departure, I agree with most of the article's analysis.

And BTW, the prognosticators seem to love them some Orlov!!! Im excited to see what becomes of the kid in a few years.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Foy

the HF staff writers always blast the Caps for anything.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
ATG8 - I think the "experts" tend to grade the canadian kids a bit higher. The experts, mostly from canada I presume, just know the local guys more. And dont speak swedish and dont know where Sverige is. Maybe its harder to get a read on the swedes because we dont know how their game will translate to the NA game. I will say this, the NA game has become like the swedish elite league more and more every year; perhaps thats why we are seeing an invasion of swedes on draft day. Its never been easier for them to come here and dominate since their game is now our game. Perhaps its telling to look back and see who was graded higher than Nick.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Didn't seem like HF was blasting us. Seemed like a decent writeup.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Dan Watkins

Hey, I thought this would be a good time to introduce myself. I wrote this article, and have been writing for the Caps on HockeysFuture for a couple of months now. I am a season ticket holder with the Caps, and I try and make it up to Hershey at least 15 or 20 times a year to see them play.

This is my first actual writing job and I hope to potentially pursue a career in sports journalism when I graduate college. I would appreciate any and all feedback, positive and negative.

I look forward to talking with all of you as this very long summer continues and fades into another exciting season!

Dan Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I thought it was fine. Welcome.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Watkins View Post
Hey, I thought this would be a good time to introduce myself. I wrote this article, and have been writing for the Caps on HockeysFuture for a couple of months now. I am a season ticket holder with the Caps, and I try and make it up to Hershey at least 15 or 20 times a year to see them play.

This is my first actual writing job and I hope to potentially pursue a career in sports journalism when I graduate college. I would appreciate any and all feedback, positive and negative.

I look forward to talking with all of you as this very long summer continues and fades into another exciting season!
Welcome aboard .

It's good that you welcome constructive criticism, because if you linger around these parts long enough, you'll surely receive your fair share. My fellow Caps fans are for the most part knowledgeable, rational and pretty straightforward, so if what you said is true and you honestly enjoy the give and take that accompanies fruitful discussion, you'll enjoy the unremitting repartee that this board provides.

I thought, as you can tell from my post above, that you did a very solid job with the draft review. Keep up the good work!

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Watkins View Post

It's good to have someone writing for the Caps that actually follows the team. It seems HF has been lacking that in recent times.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
dbui72

I thought it was professionally well written, despite if I agreed with it or not.

Nice job. Hope to read more about Capital prospect stuff on there.

Will you be doing articles on Capital prospects with interview with GMGM and the coaches in Hershey in the near future during or after camp?

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Caps Crazy

2009 Entry Draft Evaluation - Pat Wey

I think the evaluation of Pat Wey is very accurate. He needs time to adjust to this next level but he has grown significantly physically year over year in Waterloo. He became a very efficient player for the Blackhawks at both ends of the ice. We are anxious to hear what you think of him after the evaluation camp. He tends to fly below the radar off the ice but coach pk seemed to like him very much. USA hockey invite to World Junior evaluation in Lake Placid speaks to his upside potential.

Caps Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
the HF staff writers always blast the Caps for anything.
Where in that article were the Caps being blasted?

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Alex28*

Very impressive, but next time show more love to Orlov. Kid's gonna be a total stud

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Dan Watkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
Welcome aboard .

It's good that you welcome constructive criticism, because if you linger around these parts long enough, you'll surely receive your fair share. My fellow Caps fans are for the most part knowledgeable, rational and pretty straightforward, so if what you said is true and you honestly enjoy the give and take that accompanies fruitful discussion, you'll enjoy the unremitting repartee that this board provides.

I thought, as you can tell from my post above, that you did a very solid job with the draft review. Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much! And thanks to all of you who have been so friendly! I have been viewing these boards for a few years now, so I know that critiques can be harsh at times. But like I said, I am ready for any and all criticism!

I will be at the developmental camp all week. I'll be sure to take notes as this is the first time I have seen some of these players in person before. I think it will be interesting to see how the goalies play, especially considering that at last years camp, I thought Dunn and Holtby stood out as possible late round steals.

Dbui72, I have not gotten clearance to do any interviews yet, but I believe I will be doing detailed write ups of all the camps.

Again, thanks all, and it is great hearing from you.

Dan Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Golden AWe

I sure hope Orlov is our next SirGay Gonchar...

Golden AWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden AWe View Post
I sure hope Orlov is our next SirGay Gonchar...
He sounds more like a Sergei Zubov kind of player but I'd definitely take either...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
txpd

I'd like to see a non-first round pick lockup a roster spot for a change. Lepisto was close but a miss. Bourque is a 2nd rounder. Here's hoping. The Caps have clearly got a bunch of draft picks that are really good AHL players and champions.

I'd like to see someone surprise and breakout. Patrick McNeill or Oskar Osala or somebody like that.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Millhaus

Lepisto is going to be an NHL player. If he had been given half the chance that Boudreau gave Sloan he would have proven it already. But Boudreau has no problem giving the players he personally likes all the chances in the world while the ones he doesn't get the shaft. Boudreau clearly had no time for Lepisto.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote