HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN has the Habs finishing behind the Leafs.

Old
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Wow not many right there.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddeo View Post
When I say replace, I simply mean I think the d roster was better with komi rather than without him and the addition of Gill and Spacek. I think Spacek's offense is irrelevant to this degree as Komi is not an offensive player. Thus are they are they as defensively sound as Komi? No. Gill may be close, but he was never as good as Komi even though hes been solid his whole career. He's also getting way on in years and Komis hitting his prime.

If U include the last half of the season the answer is " no are D was not better with Komi in the lineup as he was mind boggling atrocious" he was very frustrating to watch as he was a giveaway machine...

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I wouldn't call Komisarek defensively sound...Komisarek is not Robyn Regehr and if that's what you think you're getting, you'll be sorely disapointed. Komisarek wasn't as good defensively as Markov or Hamrlik, and it's debatable whether he was even better than Gorges...now was he a more punishing defensman, yes, absolutely, but playing defense is more than just nailing guys agains the boards or blocking shots

Komisarek's a premier physical defensman, it's all brawn no brains with him...which is why Burke would be wise to hold on to Kaberle to maximise Komisarek's ability.

Also...I don't think the Leafs have a better defense than the Habs. A more physical one? Sure...but not better defensively.

P.S. You said the Habs have a vertically challenged offense...don't the Leafs have Grabovski, Blake and Stempniak who are as small as Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri and significantly inferior to them in every way?

Great points!! The Leafs fans are in for a surprise with Komi.....they all think he is this great defensive defenceman because he hits a lot and blocks shots. The truth is....he is terrible in his own end. He turns the puck over a lot and has a lot of trouble getting it out. He isn't a good passer either so his transition game is null.

Komi will deliver big hits, timely face-washes and he's block a lot of shots....but he's not going to be great in his own end and he's certainly not going to contribute much offence at all. I honestly think the Leafs would have been better off keeping Kubina....but to each his own I guess. Burke is apparently god according to most people....so whether Komi works out of not...everything will be ok.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Tyler Bozak (could surprise and hit 50+ points as a rookie)
Are you really serious???

2007-08 U. of Denver [NCAA]

Tyler Bozak 41gp 18g 16a 34pts
Brock Trotter 24gp 13g 18a 31pts

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
2 out 7 predicted the Cup to Dallas...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Great points!! The Leafs fans are in for a surprise with Komi.....they all think he is this great defensive defenceman because he hits a lot and blocks shots. The truth is....he is terrible in his own end. He turns the puck over a lot and has a lot of trouble getting it out. He isn't a good passer either so his transition game is null.

Komi will deliver big hits, timely face-washes and he's block a lot of shots....but he's not going to be great in his own end and he's certainly not going to contribute much offence at all. I honestly think the Leafs would have been better off keeping Kubina....but to each his own I guess. Burke is apparently god according to most people....so whether Komi works out of not...everything will be ok.
Don't get me wrong...Komisarek's a good player and will help the team, but I have trouble understanding why everyone is so impressed with their additions on defense when they've added 3 guys who combined for 23pts and a -5 rating? To me, they've added a bunch of 4-5-6 guys...which they already had an abundance of.

I dont know if the Leafs will finish ahead of the Habs, it could very well be that...but if all we can do is make predictions based on how teams look on paper today, I have trouble looking at the Leafs lineup up against the Habs lineup and putting them ahead of the Habs...but like I said, it's not impossible nor is it improbable.... but a voice in my head is telling me it's unlikely!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Coach trophy predictions:
- Carbonneau 3
- Melrose 2
- MacTavish 1
- Gretzky 1

Only Gretzky survived the season - and not like he deserved it either

Those guys are so good with their predictions.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
My favourite part is the coach of the year predictions.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
the best was their Jack Adams picks. They all got fired except for Gretz, who is too expensive to fire (not to mention he is his own de facto boss).

EDIT: I guess we all saw the hilariousness of the Jack Adams picks haha.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

i'm hoping the Leafs make the playoffs but to say they will be better than the Habs is questionable.unless Price has a repeat of last year or the Leafs have the greatest turn around in NHL history . i just don't see it happening.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
You're right, the leafs performed decently offensively.

But you, me, all Habs fans, all Leafs fans, that loser Michael Farber and the rest of "the Reporters" all know that the Leafs were a joke last year defensively and didn't have half the problems the Habs had (injuries, low morale, pressure; in that order).

Yes the Leafs scored more than the Habs but they still missed out on the playoffs and on Schenn/Duchene/Tavares.
injuries, low morale, pressure? come on, man.

I dunno - we're looking at two rosters of players there that were fairly similar offensively, and looking player by player there, it's hard to say that the habs would have any defensive advantage either.

The Habs definitely had a big advantage in goal last year, but Gusto might just change that htis year.

I don't really agree with the article - because IMO it's all about Gusto. If the kid is the real deal this year, the leafs can certainly make the playoffs and finish ahead of the habs.

But we can't exactly count on the kid just quite yet, so for now I'd rank the habs ahead of the leafs.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Kman777

Would Leaf fans really take Ponikarovsky, Kulemin, Grabovski, Stajan, Blake, and Stempniak over Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse?

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Why Leaf fans are so happy with the Komi signing did they get Markov to play with him

hope for for you that you keep kaberle

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
FinnHab

Our D is way better than last year but we need Price bound back, good goaltending is key to success. Leafs doesnt scare me at all...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
Would Leaf fans really take Ponikarovsky, Kulemin, Grabovski, Stajan, Blake, and Stempniak over Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse?
you forgot Hagman.

Would I take Blake over Cammo? no.

Would I take Stajan over Gomez? price considered, yes.

Would I take Poni over Gionta? price considered, yes.

Would I take Grabo over Plekanec? close call.

Would I take Hagman over AKost? close call.

Would I take Stempniak over Latendresse? close call.

Would I take Kulemin over SKostitsyn? close call.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
you forgot Hagman.

Would I take Poni over Gionta? price considered, yes

Please

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...Komisarek's a good player and will help the team, but I have trouble understanding why everyone is so impressed with their additions on defense when they've added 3 guys who combined for 23pts and a -5 rating? To me, they've added a bunch of 4-5-6 guys...which they already had an abundance of.

I dont know if the Leafs will finish ahead of the Habs, it could very well be that...but if all we can do is make predictions based on how teams look on paper today, I have trouble looking at the Leafs lineup up against the Habs lineup and putting them ahead of the Habs...but like I said, it's not impossible nor is it improbable.... but a voice in my head is telling me it's unlikely!
Very good observation. I still don't understand, leaf fans have these unrealistic expectations of Komi when we've all seen him play here for years. I think they are sold on his image, rather than his actual play. Like you said, being physical, doesn't make you a good dman. Blocking shots is fine, but they were often the result of him being not positioned right and him just scrambling in front of the net. But as far as is Komi one of the best defensive dmen in the league? NO, but he sure is hell is being paid as one. They have a lot of maybes, so do we, but our maybes at least have proven themselves at one point in the NHL.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
you forgot Hagman.

Would I take Poni over Gionta? price considered, yes.

Why the **** would you consider the price when judging offensive potential? Who gives a **** about cap hit, the discussion is about who has the better offense!

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Why the **** would you consider the price when judging offensive potential? Who gives a **** about cap hit, the discussion is about who has the better offense!
well then, taking out the price considerations in those two matchups, considering that Stajan/Poni scored more than Gomez/Gionta did last year, then I'd have to say "close call" for both.

basically, Cammo is the guy that elevates your top-6 above ours.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
well then, taking out the price considerations in those two matchups, <b>considering that Stajan/Poni scored more than Gomez/Gionta did last year</b>, then I'd have to say "close call" for both.

basically, Cammo is the guy that elevates your top-6 above ours.
That, I can agree with you, judging by last year the habs could be in trouble.

But, in my opinion, most of the habs top 6 had a disastrous season, it should not get worse. The habs top 6 will most likely have a better season this year (except for Cammalleri). On the other hand, most of the Leaf's top 6 come from a good season (offensively), it's a crap shoot to know if they will get better or fall appart.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
RC51

sure sure sure, the Habs will finish last and will always finish last, unless of course they finish first

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Please
please what?

Last Year:

B.Gionta: 81gms, 20gls, 60pts (11pppts), +12, 16:58 (82gms, 20gls, 61pts (11ppts), +12)
A.Poni: 82gms, 23gls, 61pts (13pppts), +6, 15:47 (82gms, 23gls, 61pts (13pppts), +6)

Last Two years:

B.Gionta: 163gms, 42gls, 113pts (32pppts), +13, 17:38 (82gms, 21gls, 57pts (16pppts), +7)
A.Poni: 148gms, 41gls, 96pts (20pppts), +9, 15:50 (82gms, 23gls, 53pts (11ppts), +5)

Last Three Years:

B.Gionta: 225gms, 67gls, 158pts (50pppts), +10, 17:58 (82gms, 24gls, 58pts (18pppts), +4)
A.Poni: 219gms, 62gls, 141pts (31pppts), +17, 16:16 (82gms, 23gls, 53pts (12pppts), +6)

Old
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
That, I can agree with you, judging by last year the habs could be in trouble.

But, in my opinion, most of the habs top 6 had a disastrous season, it should not get worse. The habs top 6 will most likely have a better season this year (except for Cammalleri). On the other hand, most of the Leaf's top 6 come from a good season (offensively), it's a crap shoot to know if they will get better or fall appart.
see, I come more from the persepective that 07-08 was a dream offensive season for you guys, where everyone scored at a very high pace (and probably more than normal - hello Pleks, Higgins, Kovy), while 08-09 was more of a reversion to the norm.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:52 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
see, I come more from the persepective that 07-08 was a dream offensive season for you guys, where everyone scored at a very high pace (and probably more than normal - hello Pleks, Higgins, Kovy), while 08-09 was more of a reversion to the norm.
In 2006-07 Plekanec had 47 points, he went on with 69 points and then 39. Considering a player his age should progress, last season was far from "back to normal".

Gomez should hit 70 points a season, anything under is disappointing for him. 58 points is unacceptable for him.

Andrei Kostitsyn most probably suffered from a very poor season by Plekanec and Kovalev. It was also his sophomore year.

Brian Gionta, bleh, I'll concede you that. The only possible argument that could be made is his chemistry with Gomez. But I don't consider this a valid argument.

Guillaume Latendresse had a constant progression every year. At 22 years old I don't see this changing.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
FF de Mars

My quote didn't work. I was answering to zeke :

Firstly, I think you are turning this to your advantage by failing to credit past achievements of the new habs offensive players. You just keep the last two years, whereas Gainey is certainly hoping that they rebound, afterplaying in NYC for Gomez, and with no good teammates for Gionta. His center was Zubrus. Basically, you see in black and white. The habs are grey, but they certainly improved.

Komisarek was a non factor last year. He was awful. He looked like O'Byrne on the ice. Does this make him a terrible signing ? No. Therefore, you should apply the same theory to Gionta and Gomez.

Finally, you fail to understand that half of the habs team got injuried last year. That's why we didn't score that many goals. Moreover, the whole team imploded due to a lack of leadership. I don't see how we can have regressed. I think we improved.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 07-14-2009 at 04:00 PM.
FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote