HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes trade Enver Lisin for Lauri Korpikoski

Old
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I think it's a whale of a good trade...... Korpikoski has alot of skill and higher potential in my eyes.......Lisin was fast with no finish and he was also the worst in the plus minus department. Korpikoski didn't really get alot of a chance to do anything for the Rangers because of how hard it is to crack their top six! I love this deal, I watched him play alot.....he is a good player with loads of upside.
If Lisin has no finish Korpi is in the negative in that department. But he plays a responsible 2 way game and could be a very good 3rd liner. I wish him well in Phoenix.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post

In a "worst case scenario" sort of perspective, perhaps the acquisitions of Fiddler and Korpikoski signal the Coyotes' intentions of giving Hanzal more of an offensive role this year.
How do you figure?

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Am ambivalent about a guy named "Lauri".

Maybe lisin didn't want to sign. His speed will be missed. It's kind of cool to have the NHLs fastest player. If he lights it up with the rangers....

Now we have a logjam at the 3rd and 4th lines:

Hanzal
Tikh
Boedker
Winnik
Fiddler
Fedoruk
Korpi
Porter (?)
GMDM Goon (?)
I suspect a couple more trades before the start of October.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
ThisYearsModel

Korpedo is a good player, and will be more productive for the Yotes than either Prucha or Dawes. he is a terrific skater, is solid and is not soft. He will battle in the corners and in front. His offensive upside is questionable, but also unknown. I think the kid is a good all-around player and that the Yotes made a good deal here. I am sad that he is not returning to the Rangers.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:36 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
How do you figure?
Hanzal was forced to be the shutdown guy on a team that didn't have many other guys who could line up against top line players. That's not to say that Vernon Fiddler is a giant killer and can shut down the Joes Thornton and Ryans Getzlaf of the Pacific Division, but it takes a little pressure off Hanzal and could allow him to play a much more offensive role.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

nyr fan here.

korpedo has a cool name but he didnt do much for us really. hes got size and speed and decent hands but just didnt do enough with his limited minutes. too me he was a larger, more physical freddie sjo with better hands. defensively hes sound and he puts in an honest days work.

you are getting a decent player but one, im afraid, that will peak as a 3rd line checking centerman type. nothing wrong with that at all unless you are like us-a team full of those guys. lisin is an enigma we know but it seems like a decent exchange. time will tell.

good luck to korpedo in the desert. you guys are assembling quite the nyr west team. prucha, dawes and now korpedo. they actually all played on the same line if im not mistaken.

any interest in roszival now

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
That sounds a lot like what we were saying about Freddie Sjostrom. Drafted high based on sound two-way play and wheels, and while the defense and speed manifest themselves constantly, he always leaves you wanting as far as offense and specifically offensive production.

Coincidentally, the things we're saying about Lisin also echo what we said about Sjostrom when he left: he's good, he's just been misused, and his shortcomings are a reflection of poor coaching rather than his own limitations. We (myself loudly included) insisted the Coyotes would regret trading Sjostrom, but he hasn't been much for the Rangers that he wasn't for the Coyotes. Whether that's because the Coyotes ruined him, because he's not a great player, or something else entirely is impossible to distinguish, but the point is, neither Sjostrom nor Lisin nor Korpikoski has shown anything to this point to make anyone especially upset.
I think you're using the term "we" pretty loosely. I don't remember losing Sjostrom being that troublesome. He never did show an ability to finish. His wheels were essentially worthless when it came to offense because unless it was an empty net, he wasn't going to score.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I have to chuckle and then cry when I think about my post earlier in the day about getting people who will shoot the puck. Instead they just traded one of the few players that actually shoot for another one of those 1 or 2 shots a game type players. This team is beginning to look more boring by the minute!

Old
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Obviously only time will tell how this trade will work out but right now I'm a depressed Coyote fan. I love the Yotes but lets be honest, they are a boring as **** team and they just traded away one of only a couple of players that are actually exciting to watch.

Does Maloney honestly think lack of offense is going to put butts in the seats? Seriously?!

Old
07-13-2009, 09:20 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
That sounds a lot like what we were saying about Freddie Sjostrom. Drafted high based on sound two-way play and wheels, and while the defense and speed manifest themselves constantly, he always leaves you wanting as far as offense and specifically offensive production.

Coincidentally, the things we're saying about Lisin also echo what we said about Sjostrom when he left: he's good, he's just been misused, and his shortcomings are a reflection of poor coaching rather than his own limitations. We (myself loudly included) insisted the Coyotes would regret trading Sjostrom, but he hasn't been much for the Rangers that he wasn't for the Coyotes. Whether that's because the Coyotes ruined him, because he's not a great player, or something else entirely is impossible to distinguish, but the point is, neither Sjostrom nor Lisin nor Korpikoski has shown anything to this point to make anyone especially upset.

Maybe Lisin will turn into the next Bure in New York. Maybe Korpikoski will be the next Lehtinen in Phoenix. Maybe neither. Maybe both.

Let's wait and see.

In a "worst case scenario" sort of perspective, perhaps the acquisitions of Fiddler and Korpikoski signal the Coyotes' intentions of giving Hanzal more of an offensive role this year.

Korpikoski has better offensive instincts than Sjo, IMO. Sjostrom would at times control the puck in the offensive zone and it would break into a million pieces, but he was a 4th liner so you had to expect that. There were times when Korpedo was the best Ranger on the ice, hitting everything in sight and showing a ton of strength along the boards. He also has a very quick release from in close and he was always in the right position. Big bodied kid hwo plays the game well at both ends. I dont think you will find one Ranger fan say anything bad about his rookie season except that we wish we saw him play more.

I think the Rangers didnt feel like waiting for him to develop into a 25-30 guy, which he has the skills to do. Lisin addresses a need for the Rangers, which is why Korp was expendable.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm not happy. I think this maybe Lisin for a younger version of Freddy Sjostrom. I'll have to wait and see, though.
Korpedo is better than Freddie IMO. He has a monster wrister, I think his potential is great two way 15 goal 3rd liner. Hell maybe even 20.

Could Lisin play LW?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Coyotes Crusader

Three Swords

I like this trade. I give it 3 Swords (on a 5 Sword scale).

Let's face the fact: As much as we were occasionally wowed by Enver, he is, and remains a one trick pony.

Korpi has several tricks in his so far modest bag: can score (even though skated on the Rangers 4th line), plays defence (Enver, are you reading this?) and is good in the face off circle.

No doubt the new Coyotes coach will be appreciative of this trade and feel he as a better asset to work with.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Vitto79

Ranger fan here

I really liked Korpikoski, Last yr was his first full season and he will get better. Right now I look at him a solid 3rd liner that is a good two player , very fast. Not sure if he will start scoring but u have to think he will......Like Callahan did for the Rangers this year

But i hear Linsin can fly a scored some some goals in a not that many games......so as a Ranger fani I have to say its a fair deal as they need offense and Linsin can provide that perhaps with another young Russian Anisimov

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes Crusader View Post
Let's face the fact: As much as we were occasionally wowed by Enver, he is, and remains a one trick pony.
Perhaps but his one trick is what the Coyotes have sorely lacked for years. That's bad anyway but for a team that struggling to build a fan base, that's really bad. Unless this "korpedo" kid really turns out to be something special (I'm trying to reserve judgment), the Coyotes just became even more offensively challenged which honestly is ****ing amazing to even say as I didn't think they could get any worse.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 07-13-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: profanity filter
Old
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
gorsk11

My take

I am disappointed that we are losing Lisin. He was exciting at times. I'm guessing GMDM and TGO gave him a shot and he wan't going to be a long-term factor.

Lisin was a one-way player. Did he himself make the team better/a winner.
I don't think so. That's my opinion. He didn't work hard enough defensively.

He is still young and has great upside. For that - I didn't want to lose him.

Finally - I TRUST GMDM.....He brought over Prucha from NYR. I didn't know much about him....He quickly became one of my favorites....And clearly Prucha has more value than Lisin. Prucha has the work ethic. Plays hard the whole time.

If GMDM thinks the Korpedo has better upside/long-term...I'll go with GMDM. I haven't been disappointed yet. Time will tell.

Also - Sjostrom was never anything special for us. He was replaceable.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
kingbrutis

80% of rangers fans on this site are pissed. They are making it out like he was going to be a top 6 forward. They say he is blazing fast also. Atleast he will play a little D.
Quote:
Am ambivalent about a guy named "Lauri".

Maybe lisin didn't want to sign. His speed will be missed. It's kind of cool to have the NHLs fastest player. If he lights it up with the rangers....

Now we have a logjam at the 3rd and 4th lines:

Hanzal
Tikh
Boedker
Winnik
Fiddler
Fedoruk
Korpi
Porter (?)
GMDM Goon (?)

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Kaizen

One or both could end up in the KHL - the winner of the trade might be the team that gets their guy to play over here in the near term.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Not happy about losing Lisin, but I'm very happy about adding Korpikoski. Watched him in the WJC's and was very impressed with him. To me he was the best guy on the ice, or at least the the one that stood out the most. I can't really comment on the guys offensive upside because I haven't really followed him lately but I doubt it is anywhere close to what Enver is capable of. I believe Coyotes fans will really like him as a player. Typical hard working Finn.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
One or both could end up in the KHL - the winner of the trade might be the team that gets their guy to play over here in the near term.
I think that'd be us, for sure. Lisin's going to have a hard time breaking into that Rangers lineup, whereas Korpedo basically has an open invite for a roster spot here...

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Alamo

After watching every goal he scored this year again just now, I'm really really gonna miss seeing him in a 'Yotes jersey.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
ducky

He is primarily a LW, no?

So is he a 4th line guy with Fiddler or a 3rd line guy with Hanzal?

Ideas for our lineup (without adding Afinogenov or Tanguay)?

Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Upshall - Turris - Lombardi (I think this could be an effective line)
Korpikoski - Hanzal - Prucha
Winnik - Fiddler - Tikhonov

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
After watching every goal he scored this year again just now, I'm really really gonna miss seeing him in a 'Yotes jersey.
After spending two seasons watching him in person, I'm not going to miss him as much as you.

Put together in a YouTube reel, his goals make him look like a budding All-Star. But I sat through two seasons at the Job waiting for him to turn it on and electrify us with more than a hint of that superstar-caliber play. I kept telling everyone around me, "Man, just you wait until he kicks on the jets - he's unbelievable!" But more often than not we were left hanging.

I will say that he seemed to adapt a little better to the North American game than some of his Russian counterparts but there is a lot of that style-and-flash-over-substance in his play still. While I hope the Rangers can help correct that... well, there's always Zherdev.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Obviously only time will tell how this trade will work out but right now I'm a depressed Coyote fan. I love the Yotes but lets be honest, they are a boring as **** team and they just traded away one of only a couple of players that are actually exciting to watch.

Does Maloney honestly think lack of offense is going to put butts in the seats? Seriously?!
I think you raise a valuable point.

That's somewhat worrisome.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I think you raise a valuable point.

That's somewhat worrisome.
Maloney isn't done quite yet! He will add a scorer either by trade or by free agency....it's only July, if it was september I would start to panic.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Coyotes Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
He is primarily a LW, no?

So is he a 4th line guy with Fiddler or a 3rd line guy with Hanzal?

Ideas for our lineup (without adding Afinogenov or Tanguay)?

Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Upshall - Turris - Lombardi (I think this could be an effective line)
Korpikoski - Hanzal - Prucha
Winnik - Fiddler - Tikhonov
Just a quick adaptation to your above:

Doan - Mueller - Boedker
Upshall - Lombardi - Prucha
Korpikoski - Hanzal - Tikhonov
Winnik - Fiddler - Fedoruk

I'd prefer to not break up the chemistry established late last year by the Upshall - Lombardi - Prucha line.

I think Korpi will establish himself as a third line player and would be complimentary to the skills of Hanzal and Tikhonov

Despite the critics, I think Fedouk can still give this team what most teams expect out of a 4th liner.

All the above allows Turris to mature in SA.

Some of the above changes if GMDM brings in a hired gun (Tanguay, Comrie, Afinigenov?)

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote