HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Greatest American NHL Player Ever?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2004, 09:37 AM
  #76
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
I would put Leetch in the top 10 at about 8th or 9th. Never saw why people thought he was so great. Average stickhandler, good passer, average skater at best...I guess I don't get it about him.

You should be banned from futher posting with such ridiculous comments!!!!

JR#9* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:40 AM
  #77
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
Well I'm not talking about citzenships, I'm talking about players that represent their country, and Hull clearly represents the States, Wayne represents Canada.
He grew up in Both countries, He could line up for Canada also. He just chooses to play for the US. Gretz could have lined up for the US. Hull has always been a Canadian to me. I can also see your point. It's a matter of personal preference.
This thead should be called the best player from the US. All Canadians are "Americans" also. At least North Americans.


Last edited by Gnashville: 03-31-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Gnashville is online now  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:43 AM
  #78
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
1- Hull
2- Lafontaine
3- Chelios
4- Leetch
5- Modano
6- Roenick
7- Mullen
8- Barasso
9- Richter

10- Tkachuk
I smell a bias here...


Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 03-31-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Frolov 6'3 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 09:46 AM
  #79
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
I'd go with Leetch as the best but Modano, Lafontaine and Chelios are all right there.That group of 4 stands a notch above the rest.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:05 AM
  #80
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Call me a homer all you want, but here is the greatest American born player: http://www.newyorkrangers.com/multim...V_0203_300.ram

And here's the greatest American born goalie:
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/multim...020404_300.ram

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/multim...020404_300.ram

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/multim...020404_300.ram

:win

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 10:24 AM
  #81
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
It's not "who would have had the best career?"... it's "who's the greatest?"
Is it who had the best career or it is who was the best player Cause IMO Patty was the best player but he didn't have the best career

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:44 AM
  #82
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
You should be banned from futher posting with such ridiculous comments!!!!

I agree!!!

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:45 AM
  #83
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
He grew up in Both countries, He could line up for Canada also. He just chooses to play for the US. Gretz could have lined up for the US. Hull has always been a Canadian to me. I can also see your point. It's a matter of personal preference.
This thead should be called the best player from the US. All Canadians are "Americans" also. At least North Americans.

Actually, he can't line up for Canada. He's relinquished his dual-citizenship, and is now only American. Besides, when you choose to play for one country at IIHF sanctioned events, you're bound to that country for life.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:54 AM
  #84
Snugglepuss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Chelios

Snugglepuss is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
  #85
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Actually, he can't line up for Canada. He's relinquished his dual-citizenship, and is now only American. Besides, when you choose to play for one country at IIHF sanctioned events, you're bound to that country for life.
He still has his Canadian citizenship... but he'll never play for Team Canada... two reasons, he plays a bigger role with Team USA and a lot of Canadian Hockey fans dislike him.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
  #86
LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I disagree. People forget how good Roenick was in Chicago before the knee injury.

At his best Roenick was better than Lafontaine and Modano. Offensively they were comparable, but Roenick brought a physical presence that those two never had.
At his best, Lafontaine was better than any of them. He is the only American player to have finished in the top 20 seasons of all time.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/...s.shtml#points

Roenick doesn't provide a physical presence. He's got some grit to his game, no different than Lafontaine or many players. Forgive me if I don't think cheap shot checks from behind are physical.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 02:00 PM
  #87
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 500
Hullie is my favorite player all time (sorry didn't really pay attention to hockey until '91).

I think arguements can be made for each of these players.

If I were to pick the guy who leads w/ his face and plays w/ the most emotion, then it goes to Roenick or Chelios.

If I want composure and lead by example/two way play then I go w/ Modano or Mullen.

If I wanted a clutch player for the big goal, then I think I would go w/ Hull or Leach.

Pure skill, Patty LaFontaine or Phil Housley.

In net, I would take Richter over Barasso (but that is because of his play w/ the Blues last year, not his great play in the early 90's w/ Pens) and Beezer.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 02:46 PM
  #88
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,064
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
I smell a bias here...
Why? Barasso is a great goalie. He's won two cups, he won a Vezina and Calder at 18.
He was awful in the locker room towards the end of his stint with Pittsburgh, but he was a great goalie. Richter also was one, but I'd rather get Barrasso in his prime than Richter in his prime.
I don't see how that is outrageous at all. Arguable, maybe. Biased? No way.

Evilo is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 04:14 PM
  #89
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He still has his Canadian citizenship... but he'll never play for Team Canada... two reasons, he plays a bigger role with Team USA and a lot of Canadian Hockey fans dislike him.

That's not how I understand it. I'll try to find a link, but I believe he relinquished his Canadian citizenship.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 04:34 PM
  #90
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
That's not how I understand it. I'll try to find a link, but I believe he relinquished his Canadian citizenship.
There was an interview with him on the ESPN website where he he's asked if he has duel-citizenship and he confirms it.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 04:58 PM
  #91
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He still has his Canadian citizenship... but he'll never play for Team Canada... two reasons, he plays a bigger role with Team USA and a lot of Canadian Hockey fans dislike him.
That and he's played for the Americans, and therefore cannot play for Canada.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 05:19 PM
  #92
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
That and he's played for the Americans, and therefore cannot play for Canada.
Didn't that rule come into effect last year?

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 05:23 PM
  #93
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
That and he's played for the Americans, and therefore cannot play for Canada.
Depends on the tournament. If it's the Olympics or World Championships he can only play for the US. In any other tournament he can play for the US, Canada or any other country he chooses to get citizenship in. That's how guys like Trottier, Stastny and Nedved were able to play for countries other than their original ones in the Canada Cup tournaments.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 05:57 PM
  #94
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
1.Brett Hull
2.Brian Leetch
3.Mike Modano

Randall Graves* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
  #95
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,900
vCash: 500
In my opinion here are the top five american players of all time.

1. Jeremy Roenick (He is not the best offensivley but best all arround)
2. Bret Hull (Best goal scorer)
3. Pat Lafontaine (Best Playmaker)
4. Brian Leetch (Best Defensemen)
5. Mike Modano (Best Leader)

richardn is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 06:26 PM
  #96
ArtG
Registered User
 
ArtG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Brett Hull is not an American. The only reason he plays for team USA is because he was cut from team Canada and because of his dual citizenship.

He was born in Ontario and his parents are Canadian. Didn't his dad play for team Canada?

ArtG is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 06:28 PM
  #97
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Brett Hull is not an American. The only reason he plays for team USA is because he was cut from team Canada and because of his dual citizenship.

He was born in Ontario and his parents are Canadian. Didn't his dad play for team Canada?
Bret Hull's mom is an american. So he is considered an american and Canadian citizen.

richardn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.