HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ladd

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Ladd

For those of you keeping track at home, Andrew Ladd finished his regular season with another hat-trick {on a 4 point night}.

For the season: 30 goals, 75 points, 119 pim and a plus 39 in 71 games.

I'll say it again, keep an eye on this kid for the playoffs. If we cant get Ovchekin, this is the kid I want. He has impressed me more than any prospect this year. He has exceeded any expectations and shown that he has the potential to be a very nice NHL'er.

Not only would I rank him in my top 5 prospects, he'd also be a great fit in this rangers system. A 6'1, 200 pound winger who goes straight to the net, knows his defense and has consistently gotten better over the course of the year.

Old
03-15-2004, 04:40 AM
LondonFan

He sounds like a good lad.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Edge

that's so cheesy i just have to laugh. :p

Old
03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

My first choice would be Cheryl Ladd('78 Charlie's Angels days), if not available i guess Andrew will do :p

Old
03-15-2004, 11:07 AM
BLACKBURN

Hey edge, I know u rate him very highly but does the rest of the hockey world? Is he a sure fire top 5? He seems to fill our need of a potential top 2 line winger, I feel with tutin, lampman, kondatiev(sp) and youngish guys like Poti and Rachunek we are ok on the blueline, although if we could get a stud defenceman that wouldnt hurt.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Hey edge, I know u rate him very highly but does the rest of the hockey world? Is he a sure fire top 5? He seems to fill our need of a potential top 2 line winger, I feel with tutin, lampman, kondatiev(sp) and youngish guys like Poti and Rachunek we are ok on the blueline, although if we could get a stud defenceman that wouldnt hurt.
a quick glance in the prospect board.. seems more people there are not nearly as high even saying he isnt an impact player but then again mckeens has him at #5 in the top 5 draft prospects

Old
03-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Fletch

To the depth of the draft (Edge)...

obviously it's been well-documented that this season's draft is not deep, but, in your opinion, can you pick up a couple decent NHL prospects in the first round, with pot luck the rest of the way? Or is there just a general lack of superstars outside the top 5 or so and everything after that is quite ordinary? I've been reading some decent things on a good number of draftees, including a couple guys who may look nice on the Rangers defense. Would trading the #2 and the Leafs' #1 for a top 10 pick to pick up, possibly, Ladd and a defenseman be out of the question, and would it be worth it, and would that get it done?

Old
03-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
a quick glance in the prospect board.. seems more people there are not nearly as high even saying he isnt an impact player but then again mckeens has him at #5 in the top 5 draft prospects
In all seriousness I really don't think this kid is getting a lot of his due credit because he isn't as flashy as some of the other top prospects.

He certainly isn't as flashy as ovchekin, Radulov or Osenz. He isn't as big or dynamic as Barker or Malkin, but he's got a good set of attributes.

Unfortunatly everyone assumes that his success is due to Getzlaf, but due to the WJC's and other factors, they haven't played more than 1/2 the games {At most} on the same line. In fact when all is said and done it is closer to 1/3 of the games. Also it should be noted that Getzlaf is probably a better RW than Center.

Yet the actual scouting services have him ranked fairly high and for good reason. CSB has him number two in north america and I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish at Number one {I see Chipchura falling a few spots}. McKeen's as mentioned has him at number 5 and I'd personally put him at 3 or 4.

He's just one of those kids that is more than the sum of his parts. He's been compared to a young Adam Graves, but personally he reminds me of Ryan Smyth, though he has better defense at this stage of development.

In the end I just don't think the package is as shiney as some of the other possibilities, but that doesn't mean it's not as good or better. He can score, he goes to the net, he can play nasty, he's got good size, knows his responsibilities and has arguably been the Hitmen's key player this season {no offense Ryan Getzlaf}.

Last edited by Edge: 03-15-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old
03-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
obviously it's been well-documented that this season's draft is not deep, but, in your opinion, can you pick up a couple decent NHL prospects in the first round, with pot luck the rest of the way? Or is there just a general lack of superstars outside the top 5 or so and everything after that is quite ordinary? I've been reading some decent things on a good number of draftees, including a couple guys who may look nice on the Rangers defense. Would trading the #2 and the Leafs' #1 for a top 10 pick to pick up, possibly, Ladd and a defenseman be out of the question, and would it be worth it, and would that get it done?
I think the first 30 picks offer some intrigue and you can draft some solid prospects, after that is where the draft requires some research. You start looking into the second and third rounds and you see a lot more "?'s" than " !'s ".

To me it's one of those drafts where you're gonna see a lot of europeans, college kids and us development prospects taken beyond the first round.

Their are some players out there, but it's going to require some research. There are a lot of tall, rangey defenseman to choose from and there are some small, finesse players as well. It all depends on which gamble you like more.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Fletch

That could work to the Rangers' advantage...

with Rokstrom in Europe and Sather seems to like the college/US kids.

Old
03-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Edge

well that will be the difference between a typical rangers draft and a good rangers draft.

In the first round they should be able to get a good prospect or two, heck they might even add a third pick. The difference maker is going to be what he does with the later picks.

Old
03-15-2004, 12:24 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Ladd does sound like a good option; but if it comes down to him or Barker for our 1st pick then who do you choose? I don't think Ladd goes in the top ten and he may even drop far enough so that we can draft him with our pick from Toronto. Where is the demand? How many NHL teams would draft Ladd over Barker?
If we can come out of the first round with Barker and Ladd I would be extremely happy.

Old
03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Edge

it really depends on who they like better. there is no way Ladd falls out of the top ten, especially after his finish the season. In fact i expect him to possibly move up to first overall in the CSB rankings. As of right now my guess is that he is a top 5 or 6 pick and if he falls further, some team is gonna get the steal of the draft.

There are actually quite a few teams who'd take Ladd over Barker. both are solid talent, but some teams were scared off by Barker's lack of intensity and the few times he "phones it in".

I could see Phoenix taking him over Barker.

Washington could take anyone from a European forward to Barker to Montoya a goalie.

i think the wildcard is if phoenix picks 5th.

Right now Ladd's stock is on the rise and it's very possible he is off the board when the rangers pick.

I like Barker, but push comes to shove Ladd is the better choice IMO.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'd take Barker over Ladd if the two were available in the top ten.

I seriousy doubt Ladd would be available at the Toronto pick, but Slats could easily trade up with all the 2nd rounders to get a pick somewhere from #10-15. Getting those two players would be HUGE.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Edge

Ladd is not going to be there at 10-15, I HIGHLY doubt it. Especially if he has a strong playoffs.

The guy showed more over the past two months of the season than any other WHL prospect and his stock is heavily on the rise. I'll be surprised if he slips out of the top 5, shocked if he slips out of the top 10 and dang near floored if he is on the board at 15.

Barker is good, with a high upside but also has a lot of things that make me nervous.

He's an attractive package because he is a big, young defenseman who can score and hit, but there's more to a car than the paintjob. Sometimes it's nice to know what's under the hood. I'd love to get Barker, but Ladd is a player this team is going to need to go into battle.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Fitzlax99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Ladd is not going to be there at 10-15, I HIGHLY doubt it. Especially if he has a strong playoffs.

The guy showed more over the past two months of the season than any other WHL prospect and his stock is heavily on the rise. I'll be surprised if he slips out of the top 5, shocked if he slips out of the top 10 and dang near floored if he is on the board at 15.

Barker is good, with a high upside but also has a lot of things that make me nervous.

He's an attractive package because he is a big, young defenseman who can score and hit, but there's more to a car than the paintjob. Sometimes it's nice to know what's under the hood. I'd love to get Barker, but Ladd is a player this team is going to need to go into battle.
What is the earliest you see Barker falling?

Old
03-15-2004, 01:25 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
This year's draft isn't as deep as last years of course. Many say last years draft was the best crop of players, ever. I don't think it's "that" weak however, probably more on the average than anything. Probably as strong as 1999 or 2001.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:27 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzlax99
What is the earliest you see Barker falling?
I doubt Barker will fall below the top 10. In my estimation probably 3-7

Old
03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Bure9*

Barker isn't falling past Washington.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Edge

Barker isn't falling past the top 6.

There are more and more rumblings that the Caps are taking a long look at Montoya.

Having said that, I think Columbus takes Barker.

Again i dont think the draft is weak, it's just not as polished as last year. In 5 years were likely to look back and see that the 2002,2003 and 2004 drafts produced near the same number of players. Some just look a little nicer on draft day.

I think any team in the top 5 is gonna get a very nice kid, you go beyond that and it gets a little harder but not impossible.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Barker shouldn't be thought of as the be all end all of defensive prospects who will get taken early in this draft. AJ Thelen, Wes O'neil, Andrej Meszaros would make me just as happy to see them in Ranger Blue. Even Valabik, Green or Schultz would be nice.

Edge has me leaning towards Ladd with our first, but i'd love to see us trade up with the Toronto pick to land one of the guys i mentioned above.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Edge

Well lemme put it this way.

I'd be thrilled to get Barker, but i like Ladd a ton.

I also think that it would be worth it to get another first at the expense of some seconds.

Old
03-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Edge, what's Ladd's skating like? It's good that he's big and mean and goes to the net, but if he's not at least a decent skater, I'd have to wonder how much scoring he could do at the NHL level. There's been many power forward prospects that turned into NHL grinders because they just didn't have the wheels.

Old
03-15-2004, 03:12 PM
barnaby63

Besides Barker, what defenseman in the draft has the potential to be a top-pairing 2-way defenseman that can clear the crease yet still has some offensive game? Where do you see that player going in the draft?

Thanks.

Old
03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Edge, what's Ladd's skating like? It's good that he's big and mean and goes to the net, but if he's not at least a decent skater, I'd have to wonder how much scoring he could do at the NHL level. There's been many power forward prospects that turned into NHL grinders because they just didn't have the wheels.
His wheels aren't bad but they aren't elite either. He has a choppy stride but it's not necessarily slow. Like i said, i compare him to Ryan Smyth in some ways and skating might be one of them. Either way I don't really see it as a deterent.

As i said earlier I don't think he is a superstar in the making BUT he does have the POTENTIAL to be a solid winger with a scoring touch. The potential is there for 25 goals and 50 some odd points if he continues to develop.

He doesnt have the top end of say Ovchekin or some of the european kids, but he might be the best overall forward in the top 10.

Closed Thread