HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Captain

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
The Captain

You can all say what you like about him, but there is no player in the history of the game that has been able to rise to the occasion like Mark Messier. No one.

Whether it is in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, a guaranteed game, his first game back in NY with the Canucks, His last game, etc. etc.

Old
03-31-2004, 07:13 PM
in the hall

well i dont think you'll find many people speaking negatively about mark, there is much reason to be disgruntled with him recently not all his fault but still, nothing can ever overshadow what hes done in the past which is why 15,000+ fans are chanting messier despite all the crap

Old
03-31-2004, 07:15 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
well i dont think you'll find many people speaking negatively about mark, there is much reason to be disgruntled with him recently not all his fault but still, nothing can ever overshadow what hes done in the past which is why 15,000+ fans are chanting messier despite all the crap
I don't know about that, I've had debate after debate about Mark Messier on this board.... With few supporters. Edge was one of the few that REALLY took my side. I can tell you that within the game and those within it, NO ONE is more respected.

Old
03-31-2004, 07:28 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I don't know about that, I've had debate after debate about Mark Messier on this board.... With few supporters. Edge was one of the few that REALLY took my side. I can tell you that within the game and those within it, NO ONE is more respected.
I think when it comes down to it most ranger's fanshold messier in the highest regard. I also think most fans are fustrated with his decision to play over the last couple of years. Once he retires everyone will forget about the last few years and he'll be remembered and loved for what he's done and ment to the rangers organization over the last decade.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
i still like him but i think he should retire just to shut up all the people *****ing about him

Old
03-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

back in 1991 what other teams was messier rumored to be going too?

Old
03-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Clarence Swamptown

Detroit was interested in him,,somebody else ,,, I think Philly

Old
03-31-2004, 09:00 PM
in the hall

ok who else got emotional?

i am going to freaking regret forever not going, couldnt he announce it beforehand

oh well atleast i got the tix stubs

Old
03-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Firefly

Quote:
ok who else got emotional?
i didnt, i swear

Old
03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Clarence Swamptown

I definitly think his NYR career is over ,,, But I could see him playing another season with a contender

Old
03-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe
I definitly think his NYR career is over ,,, But I could see him playing another season with a contender
New York City's collective heart would shatter.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Clarence Swamptown

He went to Vancouver ! So I could see Detroit throwing some money at him

Old
03-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Clarence Swamptown

Dont get me wrong though,, I'd like to see him stay,, Player / Coach would be great

Old
03-31-2004, 09:27 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Don't count on that. Just watching him in this press conference you can see how much he absolutely LOVES New York. This is his home now, and those were his words.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Rangers94

what a class act. I'm almost in tears now; this year has seen the end of the 94 team. Now there will not be anyone on the team from that magical time. Hopefully mess can come back in a year or two and be an assistant coach, and then hopefully have the full coaching job. I think he'd be amazing behind the bench with his leadership skills...

Old
Park #2

Quote:
He went to Vancouver ! So I could see Detroit throwing some money at him
Different circumstances... VERY different. He didn't choose to leave NY to go to VAN.

Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I've had debate after debate about Mark Messier on this board.... With few supporters.
There's a distinction between Messier's place in Ranger history and Messier's place on the ill-conceived teams of the past 3 years. Mark draws the highest respect from EVERYONE here even if some of us don't support some of the choices he, the coaches and mangement have made since his return. It makes no difference now. Let's not hang that black cloud over an emotional night of great memories. Nobody gave Ranger fans better memories than Messier. Nobody.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
There's a distinction between Messier's place in Ranger history and Messier's place on the ill-conceived teams of the past 3 years. Mark draws the highest respect from EVERYONE here even if some of us don't support some of the choices he, the coaches and mangement have made since his return. It makes no difference now. Let's not hang that black cloud over an emotional night of great memories. Nobody gave Ranger fans better memories than Messier. Nobody.
Well, I'd hoped so - but if you look back in the posts - you'd see the arguments from fans on here saying that he no longer was a leader, was a selfish player, etc.

I really hope you are not accusing ME of "hanging a black cloud" over an emotional night. Myself and Edge had been Messier's biggest defenders on this board.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Clarence Swamptown

They dragged their feet in offering him a contract and Vancouver threw him 21 mill over 3yrs

Old
03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
nicely put melrose! as i think alot of us were guilty of killing him at times, he still did something for the city that no other player had done in 54 years! so heres to ya mess!

Old
03-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
My favorite memory is Mess jumping around the ice like a kid on a Christmas day who just got the bike he alwyas wanted. Something so innocent about that moment.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Well, I'd hoped so - but if you look back in the posts - you'd see the arguments from fans on here saying that he no longer was a leader, was a selfish player, etc.

I really hope you are not accusing ME of "hanging a black cloud" over an emotional night. Myself and Edge had been Messier's biggest defenders on this board.
um dude look at the context of those posts.. the present then.. messier turns the puck over playing 18 minutes over balej

i gaurantee you will not find another post downing messier as long as hes retired because ALL THAT MATTERS THEN IS THE PAST because that is the PRESENT!!!

Old
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Park #2

Quote:
They dragged their feet in offering him a contract and Vancouver threw him 21 mill over 3yrs
I'm not going to debate this on this board, perhaps Edge will choose to. Messier didn't have the real option of returning to the Rangers. He didn't jump at the opportunity to leave....

Let's not talk about VAN now.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:36 PM
nyr5186

Theres no way Messier is signing with another team for next season. Not after what he said prior to the deadline about the trade rumors surrounding him.

As for him being a coach...a big NO! At least for now. All emotions aside, Messier is an outgrowth of Sather. He may be one of the greatest leaders in sports history, but being that he played under Sather for much of his career, I doubt he knows much about systems and coaching strategies and such. If he wants to be a head coach someday, let him do it like everyone else did it. Let him start from scratch in juniors or as a scout, gain experience and slowly work his way up.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Park #2

Quote:
um dude look at the context of those posts.. the present then.. messier turns the puck over playing 18 minutes over balej

i gaurantee you will not find another post downing messier as long as hes retired because ALL THAT MATTERS THEN IS THE PAST because that is the PRESENT!!!
I suggest you go back and look at the context of the posts.

I'm glad to see that you, for one, have changed your opinion.

Closed Thread