HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Talks about arbitration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
  #26
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I stand by the translation. It appears that he really doesn't know how the process works.



Why should he hold out hope for negotiations, when Sather's shown no desire to talk in the two months since the season ended and keeps bringing in replacements for him? The press has basically been saying his time in NY was done since the season ended.
the only way he plays for us next season is if hes willing to play at a discount and earn his next contract by playing well.

if he did come back, odds are he plays along side a healthy gaborik (we hope !) and thats not a bad way to have a good year when you are playing for a contract.

this is going to end badly im afraid.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
  #27
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Ill be very happy if we resign him. If we walk i do NOT want to lose him for nothing. Trade his rights.

Dredden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
  #28
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
How, in your opinion, could this all end?

- If the Rangers agree to my terms Ill sign the contract, if not it will be necessary to search for other options with other teams.
This is all you need to know about Zherdev. Not only is he completely off base when it comes to the RFA/arbitration process, but during the whole interview, he comes off as kind of a flake...he plays like one too.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:09 PM
  #29
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
No matter how you slice it, Sather holds the cards, so I don't see how Zherdev benefits in any way from this kind of public discourse. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
Oh, I agree completely that there's no benefit to him from this sort of public discourse (tho maybe it helps drum up interest from other teams that may want to approach Slats about a trade). But Zherdev's never really struck me as the brightest bulb in the bunch.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
  #30
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

No matter how you slice it, Sather holds the cards, so I don't see how Zherdev benefits in any way from this kind of public discourse. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
Zherdev doesn't do anything. It is his agent does what his job requires. Cards are in Sather's hands, but the "public discourse" should make him open them.
4 million is something ANY team with cap room would pay for the guy. League knows that Sather intentionally was screwing Z to get him long term cheap. You put him Zherdev the team with elite 1st line RW and he will never disappear playing RW on the second line.
Now when we got Gaborick he is a perfect fit for us and both Sather and Nick's agent know that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
  #31
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,509
vCash: 500
Chris Higgins was a Ranger for less than 1 week before agreeing to a 1 year deal worth $2.25 million thus not having to file for arbitration. The Rangers announced the deal one the day after the deadline for player elected arbitration. He could have filed for arbitration and received more money than just $2.25 million. Higgins is coming off a subpar season and really isn't in a position to start making salary demands. He'll have a good season and try his luck next summer when he becomes a group III. His agent Matt Keator is a tough agent but they decided not to file for arbitration.

Zherdev is in the same position and he did the opposite.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
  #32
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Zherdev doesn't do anything. It is his agent does what his job requires. Cards are in Sather's hands, but the "public discourse" should make him open them.
4 million is something ANY team with cap room would pay for the guy. League knows that Sather intentionally was screwing Z to get him long term cheap. You put him on the team with elite 1st line RW and he will never disappear playing RW on the second line.
Now when we got Gaborick he is a perfect fit for us and both Sather and Nick's agent know that.
I promise you that Sather is not doing this to get him to sign a cheap long-term contract.

This whole situation is a mess and there are only 3 ways it will end:

-Rangers re-sign Zherdev for 1 year
-Rangers trade Zherdev
-Rangers walk away from Zherdev

Theres no way on God's green earth the Rangers would consider handing multiple years to this guy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
  #33
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I promise you that Sather is not doing this to get him to sign a cheap long-term contract.

This whole situation is a mess and there are only 3 ways it will end:

-Rangers re-sign Zherdev for 1 year
-Rangers trade Zherdev
-Rangers walk away from Zherdev

Theres no way on God's green earth the Rangers would consider handing multiple years to this guy.
at this point i would agree.

zherdev filed, like callahan, but the difference is that zherdev is looking to be overpaid after a marginal finish to his otherwise decent season while callahan was looking to be rewarded for having a great year.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:23 PM
  #34
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
at this point i would agree.

zherdev filed, like callahan, but the difference is that zherdev is looking to be overpaid after a marginal finish to his otherwise decent season while callahan was looking to be rewarded for having a great year.
Callahan is also a hardworker, a character guy that can chip in 20-25 goals and could fit into an organization's long-term plans.

Zherdev is a flake with talent.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
  #35
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
I think once the spitting match of a hearing is done Zherdev will be dealt. I'm sure there are plenty of suitors and it's just a matter of which one.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
  #36
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chris Higgins was a Ranger for less than 1 week before agreeing to a 1 year deal worth $2.25 million thus not having to file for arbitration. The Rangers announced the deal one the day after the deadline for player elected arbitration. He could have filed for arbitration and received more money than just $2.25 million. Higgins is coming off a subpar season and really isn't in a position to start making salary demands. He'll have a good season and try his luck next summer when he becomes a group III. His agent Matt Keator is a tough agent but they decided not to file for arbitration.

Zherdev is in the same position and he did the opposite.
He seems to be under the impression that he had one of his best seasons yet. In terms of total points, I guess he's right, but he's really in for a rude awakening during the arbitration hearing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
  #37
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I promise you that Sather is not doing this to get him to sign a cheap long-term contract.

This whole situation is a mess and there are only 3 ways it will end:

-Rangers re-sign Zherdev for 1 year
-Rangers trade Zherdev
-Rangers walk away from Zherdev

Theres no way on God's green earth the Rangers would consider handing multiple years to this guy.
We've got more than two weeks to see way or not. 3 year 13 million is my guess (3.5-4.5-5.0). Lisin is brought in to keep Z on the hot plate at all time, something Torts would love to do.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
  #38
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He seems to be under the impression that he had one of his best seasons yet. In terms of total points, I guess he's right, but he's really in for a rude awakening during the arbitration hearing.
Oh to be a fly on the wall for that one....

Look what Sather did to Avery a couple of years ago. That will seem like a cozy get together compared to what he can potentially do to Zherdev.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
  #39
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Zherdev was also tied for the team lead in points and is a multiple season 60 pt player. Hey, I also want him at a reasonable deal, but it's not crazy for him to at least be fishing for something in the $4MM range. If I were Zherdev's agent I would have gone to arbitration too.

I can certainly get behind dealing him for value. I also think that going on the record in the Russian press like this was stupid. And I agree with BRB's assessment that there are now only 3 ways that this can end, all of them bad. What I don't understand is why the Rangers immediately went hostile and are playing this to lose him for nothing. What would it cost them to have negotiated (or more to the point to have seemed to negotiate) while simultaneously exploring trade options? With every new report that comes out, it looks more and more like Sather is throwing away a valuable asset. And that is what pisses me off more than anything.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:34 PM
  #40
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Zherdev was also tied for the team lead in points and is a multiple season 60 pt player. Hey, I also want him at a reasonable deal, but it's not crazy for him to at least be fishing for something in the $4MM range. If I were Zherdev's agent I would have gone to arbitration too.

I can certainly get behind dealing him for value. I also think that going on the record in the Russian press like this was stupid. And I agree with BRB's assessment that there are now only 3 ways that this can end, all of them bad. What I don't understand is why the Rangers immediately went hostile and are playing this to lose him for nothing. What would it cost them to have negotiated (or more to the point to have seemed to negotiate) while simultaneously explore trade options? With every new report that comes out, it looks more and more like Sather is throwing away a valuable asset. And that is what pisses me off more than anything.
Brooklyn, theres gotta be more to the story here. Everyone, including Rangers management, has to realize that Zherdev is a valuable asset.

Unfortunately for Z in hockey, more than any other sport, character is extraordinarily important. Maybe he not only struggled the final 20 games, but he sulked when doing so? Im just speculating of course, but this doesnt seem out of the realm of possibility. Something like that can cause a coach like Torts to go nuclear, causing a chain reaction all the way up to management.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
  #41
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Zherdev was also tied for the team lead in points and is a multiple season 60 pt player. Hey, I also want him at a reasonable deal, but it's not crazy for him to at least be fishing for something in the $4MM range. If I were Zherdev's agent I would have gone to arbitration too.

I can certainly get behind dealing him for value. I also think that going on the record in the Russian press like this was stupid. And I agree with BRB's assessment that there are now only 3 ways that this can end, all of them bad. What I don't understand is why the Rangers immediately went hostile and are playing this to lose him for nothing. What would it cost them to have negotiated (or more to the point to have seemed to negotiate) while simultaneously exploring trade options? With every new report that comes out, it looks more and more like Sather is throwing away a valuable asset. And that is what pisses me off more than anything.
Zherdev should have signed his QO so he would not have contract speculation hovering over his head. Train hard during the summer. Have a very good season in 09-10 and then look for the big money next summer as a group III.

Hostile? Sather hasn't made any comments about Zherdev. Sather is trying to improve the team.He can't wait until July 31 or the first few days in August when the decision gets handed down.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:40 PM
  #42
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chris Higgins was a Ranger for less than 1 week before agreeing to a 1 year deal worth $2.25 million thus not having to file for arbitration. The Rangers announced the deal one the day after the deadline for player elected arbitration. He could have filed for arbitration and received more money than just $2.25 million. Higgins is coming off a subpar season and really isn't in a position to start making salary demands. He'll have a good season and try his luck next summer when he becomes a group III. His agent Matt Keator is a tough agent but they decided not to file for arbitration.

Zherdev is in the same position and he did the opposite.
That's why Chris is on my avatar, lol.

Seriously, though, the situations are quite different. Higgins came from offense powerhouse being quite mediocre compare to others, while Z comes as a better player than both Gomez and Drury.
He doesn't ask for double salary, just 25% to 30% raise which is not outrageous. He is better player than Avery who makes that. The only valid argument is he is not entitled to Fare Market Value. That is what all NA players know. He doesn't.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:44 PM
  #43
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
That's why Chris is on my avatar, lol.

Seriously, though, the situations are quite different. Higgins came from offense powerhouse being quite mediocre compare to others, while Z comes as a better player than both Gomez and Drury.
He doesn't ask for double salary, just 25% to 30% raise which is not outrageous.
Last year MTL wasn't exactly a powerhouse. #13 in the league in goals per game, more like an average offense. Two years ago they were an offensive powerhouse, you couldn't take a penalty against them without fearing a goal against. However, last year's team wasn't close to that.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
  #44
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Regardless of the outcome of the hearing, there is no way Zherdev will be able to play here after Sather tears him apart in arbitration. And that's Sather's job.

Zherdev's desire is already questionable at best. Do we expect him to play hard after Sather hurts his feelings at the hearing?

I think not.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
  #45
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Regardless of the outcome of the hearing, there is no way Zherdev will be able to play here after Sather tears him apart in arbitration. And that's Sather's job.

Zherdev's desire is already questionable at best. Do we expect him to play hard after Sather hurts his feelings at the hearing?

I think not.
Tom Poti was known as someone Sather had crash for. He went through arbitration, got his money and Sather didn't stop loving him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:50 PM
  #46
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chris Higgins was a Ranger for less than 1 week before agreeing to a 1 year deal worth $2.25 million thus not having to file for arbitration. The Rangers announced the deal one the day after the deadline for player elected arbitration. He could have filed for arbitration and received more money than just $2.25 million. Higgins is coming off a subpar season and really isn't in a position to start making salary demands. He'll have a good season and try his luck next summer when he becomes a group III. His agent Matt Keator is a tough agent but they decided not to file for arbitration.

Zherdev is in the same position and he did the opposite.
Except that Zherdev didn't have a "subpar" season. His stats are right on par with what he's done in the past. The problem is, most Rangers fans thought he'd come in and magically morph into something far better than he'd ever been before.

You can quibble over what you think he's worth -- I personally don't think he's worth anywhere near the $4.5m he's said to be asking for. But you can't call a 58 point season "subpar" for a player who's only ever once topped that mark, and by only 3 points.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
  #47
Garden Mystique
Registered User
 
Garden Mystique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
What's the most the rangers can afford to pay Zherdev?

3.5 is the highest i would go, maybe trade rozy for some prospects and picks?

Garden Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
  #48
Mason530
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
I know I am dreaming, I just want some team pay NYR a couple of picks for Zherdev.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:09 PM
  #49
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Tom Poti was known as someone Sather had crash for. He went through arbitration, got his money and Sather didn't stop loving him.
I'm not sure what your point is...for that matter, I'm not even exactly sure what you just said. My point is not if Sather will love him, it's that Zherdev already has questionable desire and is fragile emotionally, according to his many defenders.

Sather ripping him apart in arbitration wouldn't seem to lead to renewed vigor on Zherdev's part.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:09 PM
  #50
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
I really want to keep zherdev but only at $3.5 Million.

Zherdev is looking very dumb in all this

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.