HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Corey Potter

Old
07-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Vally said Potter will be a top 4 defensemen and will be better then Giraldi if given the chance. He is rock steady and has great instinct

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Vally said Potter will be a top 4 defensemen and will be better then Giraldi if given the chance. He is rock steady and has great instinct
well if Vally said it then it must be true

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Hasn't he been mentioned by Sather as one of the 5 guys (now it looks like 6 with Heikkinen) competing for the bottom two spots? I see his chances as being as good as anyone else.
if not better because of his cap hit and the fact that there's no question of him being RUSHED as there would be with DZ, Sangs, or even Heikkinen or Gilroy. Sauer is in the same boat as him.

Old
07-14-2009, 08:37 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
That's what's wrong with this team. Potter looked he could be a 5 or 6 in his brief recall. They don't have enough trust.
how can you tell that? the guys calling the shots get to see him in more than 10 mins maximum for a few games, they see him in practice. They see him in Hartford and in Hartford's practice. I've got nothing against Potter but he was nothing special in his short stint from what I could see, and I'm sure there was a reason Sanguinetti and Sauer got call ups the next time we needed someone.

Old
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Is it a one-way contract? Anyone know?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
how can you tell that? the guys calling the shots get to see him in more than 10 mins maximum for a few games, they see him in practice. They see him in Hartford and in Hartford's practice. I've got nothing against Potter but he was nothing special in his short stint from what I could see, and I'm sure there was a reason Sanguinetti and Sauer got call ups the next time we needed someone.
Yup, and he also regressed last season. He put up better offensive numbers, but wasn't nearly the steadying defensive presence he was the previous season.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
The wolfpack are happy. He'll never make the Rangers though.
I could do without him...

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If Corey doesn't stick with the Rangers, he could be the next player headed to Phoenix. The Yotes' could use a young right handed defenseman

Do Yotes have anymore high upside Russians threatning to bolt for Russia?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't know. I think his chances are fairly decent. He was one of the last players cut from training camp--the Rangers made the cut while they were in Europe. He also played a couple games for Renney and 3 for Tortorella and looked fairly comfortable in the last 3. He's got decent size--skating and puck moving. Seems to play his position pretty well and best of all $588 K is cheap and may give him an edge over some of the others like Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Heikkinen who would all be making over $800 K--a savings of $200 + K in each case. Considering how tight things may be and that he has at least a little NHL experience--he's right in the middle of the picture.
I agree with all of this. Potter looked like a very capable 3rd pairing guy to me in his 5 games and his price tag makes him almost a lock to start the season in NY at this point.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I agree with all of this. Potter looked like a very capable 3rd pairing guy to me in his 5 games and his price tag makes him almost a lock to start the season in NY at this point.
While I agree he looked like a solid 3rd pairing guy, I don't know about the salary. If he gets outplayed by Sauer/Sanguinetti/Heikkinen in camp, they aren't making so much more than him that it will give him an edge, I don't think.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
While I agree he looked like a solid 3rd pairing guy, I don't know about the salary. If he gets outplayed by Sauer/Sanguinetti/Heikkinen in camp, they aren't making so much more than him that it will give him an edge, I don't think.
Definitely depends on other moves, RFA contracts, arbitration awards, etc, but I anticipate very little headroom no matter what, which helps his chances.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Vitto79

If I was to take a guess I would say Gilroy and Potter are going to get spots

Right now obviously Redden Rozsival, Staal,Girardi.............pretty confident Gilroy is the 5th and Potter will grab 6 or 7...................But I think a more experienced Dman is coming in for Zherdev and that will round it up

Plus they could go to 6 Dmen like last year

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
It seems to me you can't value a player anymore without valuing his contract into his value. Potter does have an edge over others if the Rangers have 700K of space left to fill their last defense spot. Otherwise they have to move a player to make more cap space. The last spots on the teams might not go to the best young player in camp but guys who were good enough that the team can fit in.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Glad to see they kept him around. He'll probably make a push for a spot this year, but I think he'll ultimately be beaten out by Sauer, Gilroy, or perhaps Heikkinen.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Fletch

I liked Potter. My only reservations about him as an NHLer was his frame - I wasn't sure if he had the lower and upper body strength to be an effective defenseman at the NHL level compared to the NHL level since he did use his frame to a certain degree to be successful in the AHL. In his short stint with the Rangers, that didn't appear to be an issue. Wish we could've seen more of him last season, but those are the breaks. I understand he wasn't in top form in AHL, but I thought he came around in the end. I'm willing to see what he's got, but would think that he's a 7th defenseman to start the season (even though I'm not sure if the Rangers have the other 6 currently).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
eco's bones

Right now we have 4 regulars. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers made a deal for a guy like Babchuk or picked up some other guy with experience. OTOH--Potter, Heikkinen, Gilroy are all in the 25 range. They're not exactly kids anymore. They're filled out and matured enough where the Rangers might think they can go with two of them as regulars. Another question is whether we're going with a 6 man defense like last year or a 7 man one. And another idea is they might be figuring on shuffling guys back and forth from Hartford a lot.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Sign Strudwick at league min, he'll be better than our kids at D

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

I know a good player when I see one. He impressed when I first saw him and looked very capable of being a 5 or 6 in his recall. Solid skating. Good first pass. Decent shot. And didn't look lost in his end.

It would be refreshing if our organization stopped having their heads up their *****. Sanguinetti didn't even play. And Sauer got 2 games. 1 of which he was benched by Tort.

Don't let facts get in the way of assessment.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Definitely depends on other moves, RFA contracts, arbitration awards, etc, but I anticipate very little headroom no matter what, which helps his chances.
Quote:
It seems to me you can't value a player anymore without valuing his contract into his value. Potter does have an edge over others if the Rangers have 700K of space left to fill their last defense spot. Otherwise they have to move a player to make more cap space. The last spots on the teams might not go to the best young player in camp but guys who were good enough that the team can fit in.
Fair enough, but, I just don't see us getting that close to the cap that Torts will have to put an inferior player on the roster to save <$400,000. I don't know what else Slats has in the works, but assuming we don't bring back Z if the arbiter gives him $4million or up, there's no reason we should be in dire cap straits this season, where we have to play Potter over Sauer to save a few hundred thousand on the cap.

Old
07-15-2009, 05:54 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I know a good player when I see one. He impressed when I first saw him and looked very capable of being a 5 or 6 in his recall. Solid skating. Good first pass. Decent shot. And didn't look lost in his end.

It would be refreshing if our organization stopped having their heads up their *****. Sanguinetti didn't even play. And Sauer got 2 games. 1 of which he was benched by Tort.

Don't let facts get in the way of assessment.
The fact was they chose to go with Sangs and Sauer instead of Potter, you can rag on management all you want there's a reason our guys work for the NHL and you post on hfboards.com

Old
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Fair enough, but, I just don't see us getting that close to the cap that Torts will have to put an inferior player on the roster to save <$400,000. I don't know what else Slats has in the works, but assuming we don't bring back Z if the arbiter gives him $4million or up, there's no reason we should be in dire cap straits this season, where we have to play Potter over Sauer to save a few hundred thousand on the cap.
When a team has so many large contracts such as Gaborik 7.5 mil per, Drury 7+ mil per, Lundqvist almost 7 mil per, Redden 6.5 mil per and Rozsival 5 mil per--that's over 33 mil per on 5 players leaving 15-18 players to divide up 23 + mil. You don't think we're going to be running up against the cap ceiling?

Old
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Capgeek, which posted Byers salary as a 2-way, 1-year deal for $500K yesterday, today listed Potter's deal as a 2-way, 1-year deal for $550K. (Looks like both are reflected in the salary cap thread.)

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=8

You really have to wonder whether or not Byers and Potter are taking less money to improve their chances of sticking on the big squad (as Kodiak speculated yesterday). Their agents know the Rangers' cap situation as well as any of us. If the Rangers take Potter over Gilroy, they save $1.2MM in space for someone else/in-season moves/etc...

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-17-2009 at 02:09 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
When a team has so many large contracts such as Gaborik 7.5 mil per, Drury 7+ mil per, Lundqvist almost 7 mil per, Redden 6.5 mil per and Rozsival 5 mil per--that's over 33 mil per on 5 players leaving 15-18 players to divide up 23 + mil. You don't think we're going to be running up against the cap ceiling?
Not saying we won't be anywhere near it, I'm just saying I think we'll have the flexibility to play whoever performs the best in camp, regardless of relatively minor differences in cap hit (~.5/~.8)