HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Murphy: What's next?

Old
07-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Qubax

vCash: 500
Mike Murphy: What's next?

Am I correct in thinking he could go back to the Bulls in the OHL as an overager next year?

Also, is that likely to happen or is Murphy turning pro?

I really see this guy as the future in your net as a 1B to Ward, and a cheaper option in 3 or 4 years.

Where do you guys stand on his development and where he'll be in the coming season? Thanks....

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Definitely not going back to the OHL. My opinion is he'll play the full year as starter in Florida. Peters needs a ton of starts in Albany in order to step into the back-up role in Carolina in 2010-11 so there's no sense in having Murphy stuck behind him. Murphy will take over as starter for the rats not this season but the next, probably.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Qubax

Okay, good to know....and sounds reasonable.

I hope he doesn't get bummed out about being in the ECHL....

Hopefully he remains driven and eager....because if he does he could be one of the better ECHL goalies as a rookie....

one more season until full time starter in the AHL is a pretty good development for a goalie....

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
whitesox_2000_22*

As huge Murphy supporter, I think he will be best suited with another year in the O if the are going to send him down to the ECHL, unless they plan on bringing him up the the A for some solid time, i think he deserves another run at the cup in the O!!

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

At least the ECHL is pro, he has nothing left to prove in the OHL, especially if he has a chance to start for the Everblades.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Well, frankly, the only reason he wouldn't be in the AHL next season is for him to get as many starts as absolutely possible. While the OHL isn't a bad choice the ECHL wouldn't be either if he can get the #1 spot from the Blades. If the Canes weren't as high on Peters as they are I would have good money on Murphy being at least a 1b for the Rats next year.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Well, frankly, the only reason he wouldn't be in the AHL next season is for him to get as many starts as absolutely possible. While the OHL isn't a bad choice the ECHL wouldn't be either if he can get the #1 spot from the Blades. If the Canes weren't as high on Peters as they are I would have good money on Murphy being at least a 1b for the Rats next year.
I think this is Peters chance. I really believe we'll see him as our backup in 10-11 if he continues his strong play down the stretch this year. Murphy wouldn't get many starts behind him. Let Leggio backup Peters and give Murphy the starting job in Florida. Pretty sure Anton Khudobin is out of there as well so that leaves an opening for Murphy. They currently have no goalies on their roster.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Leggio signed in Europe.

FWIW-This was in one of Chip's stories:

Quote:
Murphy, who signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Canes in March, may find himself in Albany, N.Y., next season playing for the River Rats of the American Hockey League.

"We expect him to go to Albany and fight for the No. 1 job," Rutherford said.
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1610779.html

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Hmm, that's a bit of a surprise after some of the comments they've made regarding Peters.

Totally missed Leggio signing overseas. Do you know who he signed with?

Old
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Hmm, that's a bit of a surprise after some of the comments they've made regarding Peters.

Totally missed Leggio signing overseas. Do you know who he signed with?
TPS in Finland.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
For JR, everybody is fighting for something. If you listened to his interview about the state of the team, he mentioned pretty much everybody in the capacity of fighting for something. When he mentions guys like Angelidis as "fighting for a spot on the roster" with Carolina, then you know he's open ended with his assignments.

I am more than a little uncomfortable with all the Mike Murphy love around here. I think he's a great prospect, but he's not a first round pedigree and he's not the first goaltender to dominate junior hockey. He doesn't have to start in Albany in order to be a success story for us.

Justin Peters is so much closer to the NHL than Murphy it's ridiculous, and he should be. Peters is the incumbent to Leighton and he WILL get a chance to prove that he belongs in the NHL before we cut ties with him.

Murphy is newer, unorthodox, and an obvious fan favorite but that doesn't assure professional success.

The most important thing for both Peters and Murphy is that they need to play and they need to play a ton.

Another thingthat Murphy is going to need is positioning development. I don't know if it's a smart move to expose him to AHL scorers at this point. Let him start the year as the starter in Florida and put together some dominant professional starts to get his feet wet.

However, he may be more comfortable in Albany due to its proximity to Belleville. Again.... that may be a reason to take him out of his comfort zone. You never know.

Justin Peters is not ancient. He has spent his time in the AHL behind some awful teams, and he deserves to play behind perhaps the best team we've assembled for Albany for the duration of our affiliation.

The ECHL isn't a pushover for young goaltenders. If it proves to not be a challenge, then give him the opportunity to compete with Peters for starts.

In my view, Peters needs 55+ games this year to prove to us that he's ready to supplant Leighton. That only leaves 25-30 games for Murphy if he played in Albany. I would rather see him start 60 in Florida and continue building confidence and working on his technique.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Fumble

[QUOTE=Vagrant;20508899]
Justin Peters is so much closer to the NHL than Murphy it's ridiculous, and he should be.
QUOTE]
I've been fortunate to watch both Peters and Murphy during their junior carrers.
Last 2 years Murphy was better than Peters ever was in Jr.
But more importantly by the end of 2009/2010 Murphy will be closer to the NHL than Peters.

Peters has had every opportunity to shine while being a pro, and he simply hasn't and won't live up to his potential.

The ECHL is not a place for a goalie to develop their pro skills.

The 2008 draft class for goalies was quite unusual. Both Tokarski and Murphy were late round picks, but both are more likely to have NHL success than any other 08 drafted goalie, IMO.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

JR is doing exactly what he should do...let the guys battle it out on the ice to see who deserves the starts and then figure out what to do with the other guy. With Ward holding down the top spot there is no need to rush anyone but by the same token there is no need to slow Murphy should he show he is ready for the A. Prospect development philosophy should always take a back seat to actual play on the ice. All this talk will be moot since their play will decide everything, which is as it should be IMO.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Peters had a tremendous year for Albany last year behind a pretty bad team. Any time you can keep your save percentage above .905 on a team that lost as many as Albany did you're doing a decent enough job. He has plenty of time as well.

I'm not saying Murphy is a dog or anything, but we shouldn't forget that last year was his senior season in the CHL and the numbers have never been the problem with Murphy. He didn't slide to us because his numbers were bad. He slid to us because scouts didn't see the projection in his game from Junior to Professional hockey. We have yet to see if that holds true.

Old
07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
JR is doing exactly what he should do...let the guys battle it out on the ice to see who deserves the starts and then figure out what to do with the other guy. With Ward holding down the top spot there is no need to rush anyone but by the same token there is no need to slow Murphy should he show he is ready for the A. Prospect development philosophy should always take a back seat to actual play on the ice. All this talk will be moot since their play will decide everything, which is as it should be IMO.
While I see your basic point, you have to consider a return on your investment when you've developed a player in your system for several years. Peters has shown enough progress for us to continue to coach him and give him opportunities then his development in these final stages should be a priority. Murphy will have his time and he's going to develop as well, but considering the time and energy you've put into Peters at this point you have to give him the chance to prove that he deserves to be leaped over on the prospect depth chart before you actually do it. At best, Murphy should be two full years in the minors away from being ready for backup duty in the NHL. Peters is much closer than that and could replace Leighton as soon as the end of this season.

From an internal standpoint, with all things equal between Peters and Murphy you give Peters the starts right now because you need him sooner. That's just the way I see it.

Old
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Justin Peters is so much closer to the NHL than Murphy it's ridiculous, and he should be.
I've been fortunate to watch both Peters and Murphy during their junior carrers.
Last 2 years Murphy was better than Peters ever was in Jr.
But more importantly by the end of 2009/2010 Murphy will be closer to the NHL than Peters.

Peters has had every opportunity to shine while being a pro, and he simply hasn't and won't live up to his potential.

The ECHL is not a place for a goalie to develop their pro skills.

The 2008 draft class for goalies was quite unusual. Both Tokarski and Murphy were late round picks, but both are more likely to have NHL success than any other 08 drafted goalie, IMO.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I agree with Vagrant when talking about how close the two goalies are to the NHL. Peters, as it stands right now, is not showing the high end upside that the Canes scouts thought existed when they drafted him to justify a 2nd round selection. Frankly he looks like a career backup at this point. But he also looks to be ready to hit that point in his career and will likely be on par with a Tyler Moss type goalie with MAYBE a Trevor Kidd type upside.

Murphy on the other hand is a better prospect with far higher upside IMO. He could VERY easily be the replacement for Ward in 3 years or so if for whatever reason Ward decided he no longer wanted to play here. He could turn out to be another Tim Thomas... hell he could very well turn out to be BETTER then Thomas IMO.

But the most important thing in terms of development is to get Murphy as many starts as possible. In fact the ONLY reason most of us want to see Murphy in the ECHL is that it would be a waste for him if he only gets say 25-30 starts in the AHL this year. He should, without question, be the #1 in Albany is 2010-11 getting as many starts as he can physically and mentally handle.

Peters, on the other hand, just needs to show a bit more consistency and can likely take a #2 job once Leighton hits UFA.

If Murphy can prove that he's the better goalie in Albany's camp then absolutely more power to him, let him do it. Try to get what we can for Peters if some team needs a goalie prospect that could take over as a backup.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:13 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Im merely advocating assigning players to affiliate teams based on their play. The best guy should always play even if it means the guy who have been grooming for years has to rid the pine or get traded. A trade if needed would still give your return on investment. You arent helping your organization by holding guys back, its as bad as rushing them, imo. I personally dont think Murphy will beat out Peters in training camp but i do think they might be sharing time in Albany by the end of the season which could put them both near 50 games.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Again though, i'm not sure you can hold back a 19-20 year old goaltender. Experience in net is experience in net. Unlike skating positions, goaltenders can be challenged by any professional league because you're never going to stop everything. It's the same game, only at the East Coast level the play is ratcheted up a few notches from where Junior was. Where as forwards and defensemen can develop bad habits by a league that doesn't challenge them, goaltenders who are usually perfectionists by nature can be served well by starting out in a situation where they're not getting shelled and giving up 4 goals a game. The truth is that Murphy WILL be exposed at the next level... it's just all about how he recovers. With his positioning, there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to take his lumps in professional hockey, but how receptive he is to coaching is going to expedite his process.

The ECHL can be a stabilizing experience for young goalies. It's like sticking your toes into the life of professional hockey.