HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jacques Demers Picks for NHL Awards

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Cayouche5

vCash: 500
Jacques Demers Picks for NHL Awards

In the Journal de Quebec Yesterday. ( I'll try to Translate it )

Hart
Martin St-Louis
Demers said even all the problems he had ( didn't even been draft, others said he was too small ) he's still the Leaders in scoring in the NHL.
Runner-Up : Joe Sakic, Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur

Calder
Michael Ryder
He said the Fact Raycoft played 20 games last year and the fact this is Ryder's first NHL season and he didn't even suppose to play in the NHL this season he deserve it more than Andrew.
Runner-Up : Andrew Raycroft, Trent Hunter and Patrice Bergeron.

Norris
Scott Niedermayer
He said in the absenceof Stevens Nieder was a real General and a true Leader.
Runner-Up : Brian McCabe, Zdeno Chara and Mathieu Schneider.

Vezina
Martin Brodeur
Another great season from Brodeur
Runner-Up : Jose Theodore, Roberto Luongo and Marty Turco

Lady Bing
Brad Richards
A real Gentleman who have his best season in the NHL.
Runner-Up : Brett Hull, Joe Sakic and Nils Ekman

Frank J.Selke
Kris Draper
Even if he always play against the best opposite line he put some good offensive numbers this season.
Runner-Up : Kirk Maltby, Bryan Smolinski and Craig Conroy

Jack Adams
Claude Julien
The Rookie Coach has been able to get the habs into the playoff.
Runner-Up : Darryl Sutter, Ron Wilson and Mike Sullivan.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:21 PM
HellsBells

Boy, Jacques sure doesn't mind playing the old homer card, does he ??

Ryder....maybe but Raycroft is more deserving IMO.
Theodore runner up for Vezina....No
Julien for the Jack Adams....... Wilson, Sutter, Tortorella, Sullivan all more deserving IMO.

I'm suprised he didn't pick Perreault for the Selke and Souray for the Norris.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:27 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
Jack Adams
Claude Julien
The Rookie Coach has been able to get the habs into the playoff.
Runner-Up : Darryl Sutter, Ron Wilson and Mike Sullivan.
This is the only one I completely disagree with. He didn't even mention Tortorella or Murray as runners up? Blah.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Cayouche5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield

Julien for the Jack Adams....... Wilson, Sutter, Tortorella, Sullivan all more deserving IMO.

Well I don't see Theodore win it but I think he can be runner-up for vezina if not he's close so no homer here.
Ryder and Raycroft it can be one or the other so nohomer there.
Julien I agree i don't see him win the Adams I don't see him being runner-up but well...

Old
03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Demers is a homer, he has always been since he started covering the Habs on TV at RDS.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
His reasoning is pretty bad though. Especially on Ryder being more deserving because he wasn't even supposed to play in the NHL (irrelevant for a trophy for the best rookie ellegible for the trophy). St Louis and what he had to overcome is another argument which is irrelevant (that's what the Masterton is for). Even though I do not have thát many problems with his picks (I would give the Calder to Raycroft, but Ryder is a decent choice), except for finding some coaches more deserving of the Adams than Julien...

Old
03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Calder: Goalie is a bit harder position to fit yourself into. What Raycroft is doing is extraordinary. Ryder has done great but Raycroft looks solid and has taken over the number 1 position even though they had Potvin there.

Vezina: Should go to Luongo. AWESOME goalie on a bad team. I like Brodeur but Luongo is doing something a goalie shouldn't be with that type of team in front of him and how many shots he is seeing.

Adams: Julien??? WTH? How about Sutter? Calgary wasn't even really suppose to compete because they didn't have the scoring depth and questions in goal. Pulling a trade to grab Kipper, and then Rhino in the beginning paid off and lightning a fire under Iginla's ass helped.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:37 PM
ajs

The only problem I have with this is Theodore winning the Vezina and Julien winning the Jack Adams. Ryder winning the Calder is a fine pick, although I don't think that he'll beat Raycroft out for it.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Demers is a homer, he has always been since he started covering the Habs on TV at RDS.

Yeah no kidding, I think he's just trying to please his readers, of the 7 awards he mentions 5 of the 7 award winners have ties with Quebec.

Hart - St.Louis - Quebec born
Calder - Ryder - Plays for Montreal
Vezina - Broduer - Quebec born
Lady Byng - Richards - Played junior hockey in Quebec Hockey League
Jack Adams - Julien - Motreal's coach.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Yeah no kidding, I think he's just trying to please his readers, of the 7 awards he mentions 5 of the 7 award winners have ties with Quebec.

Hart - St.Louis - Quebec born
Calder - Ryder - Plays for Montreal
Vezina - Broduer - Quebec born
Lady Byng - Richards - Played junior hockey in Quebec Hockey League
Jack Adams - Julien - Motreal's coach.
So u disagree with St-Louis for the Hart, Ryder for the Calder (either him or Raycroft) Vezina for Brodeur...Richards, I dunno, it's the lady byng after all...who care =/

As for the Jack Adams, I doubt Julien would win it.

I just think ur point mean absolutely nothing.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
So u disagree with St-Louis for the Hart, Ryder for the Calder (either him or Raycroft) Vezina for Brodeur...Richards, I dunno, it's the lady byng after all...who care =/

As for the Jack Adams, I doubt Julien would win it.

I just think ur point mean absolutely nothing.
St.Louis is far from guaranteed for the Hart but he is a likely canidate. I'd take Raycroft over Ryder, can't argue with Broduer, don't really care about the Lady Byng and the Jack Adams is just wrong.

Again it's him trying to please his readers, apparently it worked on you.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
St.Louis is far from guaranteed for the Hart but he is a likely canidate. I'd take Raycroft over Ryder, can't argue with Broduer, don't really care about the Lady Byng and the Jack Adams is just wrong.

Again it's him trying to please his readers, apparently it worked on you.

Fear the French media conspiracy...Wait, did you hear that?....They're coming for me! Hide me!! AhhhhhhhhhHhh...

Old
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Karl Pilkington

Jacques is going to start losing his credibility by picking habs to be in categories they more than likely won't be. It has been a great season for the habs.. but its been a great season for many teams, and many players have indivually stepped up this year. Coaches have made something out of nothing... goalies have played amazing this season...

I don't think Julien will win the Jack Addams.. at the most a nomination. As much as I'd like to see him win it, I don't think he will.

I'd like to see Jose get a nomination for the Vezina, but there are 10 other goalies who deserve one too... we'll see how that goes.

It'd be cool if Jacques turns out to be right about this tho...
:gman:

Old
03-30-2004, 05:53 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield

face it montreeal has good assets..just cuz he picked them how about you accept it, theodore should be runner up 4 teh vezina, julien WILL win the adams, ryper WILL win the calder and souray would of been nominated 4 the norris if didnt get injured HABS RULE, theyre the team of the futur, if perreaut had a consistant season he would of own the selke SO THERE!

Old
03-30-2004, 05:56 PM
electric

I don't know... two years ago most of the people on this board had Roy for Vezina and Iginla for Hart and it seemed pretty unanimous... but Theodore won them both

Old
03-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Impossibles

I think we all know Jarko Ruutu is going to take the Byng home this year.

Old
03-30-2004, 05:58 PM
guinness
those were the days

Meh, he's just being biased towards the Habs in voting, they're only the 7th seed in the East and he's got the coach winning the Jack Adams as well as some other players getting noms in major categories. Only Hab I see winning is Ryder.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:01 PM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Meh, he's just being biased towards the Habs in voting, they're only the 7th seed in the East and he's got the coach winning the Jack Adams as well as some other players getting noms in major categories. Only Hab I see winning is Ryder.
Julien has done an AMAZING job this year... I know a lot of other coaches have been too, but keep in mind that the Habs absolutely sucked last year and had no intensity at all... then Julien has really, really stepped it up. He has all the players playing the system together and every problem is handled with great professionalism (something we haven't seen in Montreal for a while).

Old
03-30-2004, 06:10 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
I guess you're right, no way Julien deserves to win the Adams Trophy.
On the other hand, same could be said about Sutter with the Calgary Flames. Actually, Montreal and Calgary have the same amount of points (91), and the same number of wins (40) as of now... and both have done it with an average line up IMO (I would even say Calgary's roster on paper is better than the Habs).

Anyway, to make it simple, I can see why people do NOT think Claude Julien should win the coach of the year award, but I just don't see why a guy like Sutter is more of a likely candidate either...

-----------

As you stated, the only Hab on this list that has good chances of winning this trophy is Michael Ryder. No bias here. I can agree that Theodore isn't even a top 3 candidate for the Vezina Trophy despite having an excellent year, I can also agree that Julien won't be a candidate for the Adams trophy, but I must say I like Ryder's chances to win the Calder trophy though, no matter what people on HF say (with all the hype around Raycroft and his *great* stats). For a guy who never played a single game in the NHL before thisbseason, he's just so confident in the puck and effective in one on one battles. His wrist-shot is among the best in the league too.

Last edited by didjuicythat: 03-30-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 06:13 PM
HF-Addict

hugh ?!

I just said I don't buy your quebec-bias theory. Others than Julien, all the names He named were sure bet or at least finalists for the trophy. And you agreed with me.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
On the other hand, same could be said about Sutter with the Calgary Flames. Actually, Montreal and Calgary have the same amount of points (91), and the same number of wins (40) as of now... and both have done it with an average line up IMO (I would even say Calgary's roster on paper is better than the Habs).

Anyway, to make it simple, I can see why people do NOT think Claude Julien should win the coach of the year award, but I just don't see why a guy like Sutter is more of a likely candidate either...

-----------

As you stated, the only Hab on this list that has good chances of winning this trophy is Michael Ryder. No bias here. I can agree that Theodore isn't even a top 3 candidate for the Vezina Trophy despite having an excellent year, I can also agree that Julien won't be a candidate for the Adams trophy, but I must say I like Ryder's chances to win the Calder trophy though, no matter what people on HF say (with all the hype around Raycroft and his *great* stats). For a guy who never played a single game in the NHL before thisbseason, he's just so confident in the puck and effective in one on one battles. His wrist-shot is among the best in the league too.
I'd consider Sutter over Julien just because it's not like the Habs were as bad as the Flames in recent seasons, the Habs have actually made the playoffs a couple seasons ago, behind a goalie whose name escapes me, I think he even won the Vezina and Hart that year. Then he got a big raise and dropped off considerably. Look at the Flames, they haven't made the playoffs since, what 1996? Sutter, Kipper, and Iginla have really turned that team around this year.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:26 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I disagree with him on the Calder, that should go to Raycroft IMO. It's harder to adjust to the NHL as a goalie than it is as a player, mainly because everyone blames the goalie when you lose and praises the players when you win. Not to mention, Raycroft wasn't supposed to be the #1 guy in Boston, taht's why Potvin(for reasons unknown) was obtained.

For the Jack Adams, some say that Sutter shouldn't be considered that much for it mainly because he went and got the players he works with, while the other coaches in contention for the award work with what they get. I don't know if this is a fair judgment, but it is a point nonetheless. If by some miracle the Kings make the playoffs, Murray should get it hands down. I have no idea why Demers didn't mention this guy in Runners-up. Julien isn't a bad pick, but I like Tortorella a bit more. Still, Montreal and Calgary are two of the hardest working teams in the league, and coaches are a main reason for that.

Old
03-30-2004, 06:29 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Exactly what I said about Raycroft, ehc!

Old
03-30-2004, 10:32 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
Quote:

-----------

calgary has 90 pts, and monytreals roster is much better then calgaqry, calgary only has iginla conroy and a bunch of average guns who help out fro time 2 time
MTL HAS RIBEIRO KOIVU RYDER KOVALEV ZEDNIK PERREAUT DAGEBNAIS SOURAY BOULLION AND THE REST NOT 2 MENTION THE BEST GOALIE DUO OF ALL TIME, PROPS 2 KIPRUSOIFF AND TUREK, BUT THEO AND GARON KICK UR *****

Old
03-30-2004, 11:04 PM
detredWINgs

From a Wings fan's standpoint, its just incredibly exciting to see somebody like Kris Draper given such great consideration for the Selke. Hes done so much to help fill in Fedorov's spot and hes finally getting a hat or two tipped his way for his hard work. Hes come a long was as a grinder, a guy who was basically given up on in the NHL, so much that the Jets traded him to the Wings for a DOLLAR. So, to all of you who aren't playing the homer card, even though you may not get to watch Draper every night, I thank you all for acknowledging his work-even if you hate the Red Wings.

Closed Thread