HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN 09-10 Eastern Conference Rankings: Rangers 7th

Old
07-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Hehe...7th?

IF Gabby is healthy for 70+ games....we are Top 5.....ill bet my life on that. EASILY

TOP offense in the East.
ELITE Goalie in the East
Average Defense in the East
=
TOP 5 TEAM
im sorry, i think youre being WAY too optimistic here. maybe if Z is back we can be ~5th place...but losing 60 points for nothing=teh suck.

now, go and get me Heatley, then all bets are off.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hahah sorry man. Provide the proof. Your WAY OFF. (and of course your looking into full season results and not just ASSUMING if players play 80 games...because that would be silly and stupid to pretent you can tell the future! )
i posted this in another thread...

the team that made it into the playoffs had the following forwards...

naslund, antro, zherdev, gomez, and korpedo.
thats about 235 points of offense.

Assuming Zherdev is gone, we are replacing them with Higgins, Kotalik, Gaborik, Lisin and Anisimov
Let's give reasonable projections here and assume everyone stays more or less healthy
Higgins:40
Kotalik:40
Gaborik:85
Anisimov:30
Lisin:30
Total:225

To me, that's a step backwards fellas.

imho, outside of getting rid of Blowmez, and bringing in Gaborik, this has been a disaster of an offseason (not counting bringing back Cally and soon to be Dubi, to me those are expected moves and dont bear mentioning).

Old
07-15-2009, 02:34 AM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Assuming Zherdev is gone, we are replacing them with Higgins, Kotalik, Gaborik, Lisin and Anisimov
Let's give reasonable projections here and assume everyone stays more or less healthy

imho, outside of getting rid of Blowmez, and bringing in Gaborik, this has been a disaster of an offseason (not counting bringing back Cally and soon to be Dubi, to me those are expected moves and dont bear mentioning).
They did not lose 59 points of offense from Antropov. They lost 13 so your total is off there. You are also assuming that Dubinsky and Callahan stay at the same point production. I believe that they will both improve because of their natural progression as well as an influx of better talent i.e. Gaborik. I do not know if you included an entire season of Sean Avery into your projections, but if you did I believe that he will better his ppg over the past several seasons because i think that he is a very good player for Tort's system.
I also believe that many players will benefit in point production from the bettter offensive system, as well as, a better power play. The fact that Gaborik, Kotalik, and Higgins are added to our powerplay makes us more dangerous offensively.
My entire post is qualified by the fact that Gaborik will play around 70 games next year. If he does not our offense will be worse than last years and our defense will be abour the same.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:34 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I have a question for everyone: Why is finishing 7th "not so bad"? Explain this to me. Sather's job this offseason was to make this a better hockey team. Finishing 7th means he just kept them at about the same position while switching the players around. Sure, they might be better in the long term without Gomez' contract, but they might be in the same spot with Gaborik if he's hurt.

How is finishing 7th OK? Since when do Rangers fans accept mediocrity?

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If I were the Isles GM, I would go for broke again. Get a terrible team, send JT to Juniors, and get a #1 overall pick next year.

With a pair of first overall picks in their lineup, at least one of whom should become a superstar, they will be a very good team for a dozen years.

Quote:
right now im going...
1)Philly (i dont think they are done, they have pieces to go and get a good goalie)
2)Boston
3)Washington
4)Pittsburgh
5)Carolina
6)Devils
7)Rangers
8)Tampa Bay
9)Montreal
10)Atlanta
11)Ottawa
12)Buffalo
13Toronto
14)Islanders
15)Florida

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
I have a question for everyone: Why is finishing 7th "not so bad"? Explain this to me. Sather's job this offseason was to make this a better hockey team. Finishing 7th means he just kept them at about the same position while switching the players around. Sure, they might be better in the long term without Gomez' contract, but they might be in the same spot with Gaborik if he's hurt.

How is finishing 7th OK? Since when do Rangers fans accept mediocrity?
7th place is pretty much the worst case scenario as far as I am concerned.

If you are a top 4 team, maybe you can advance far.

If you stink it up, you'll get a great prospect with your high draft pick.

But at #7, you are getting a second-rate prospect and will likely still be playing golf in April.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:41 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Hehe...7th?

IF Gabby is healthy for 70+ games....we are Top 5.....ill bet my life on that. EASILY

TOP offense in the East.
ELITE Goalie in the East
=
TOP 5 TEAM
Fly, I agree with the goalie, and dont think you give the defense enough credit, but how are we the top offense in the East? I just don't see it... Gaborik is great, but who plays with him? I sort of think this team might be even more top heavy than last year's team. We have one 80+ point player, and probably 6-7 50 point players (and I think I'm being optimistic there). This offense is better than Washington's? Than Pittsburgh's? I'm not so sure this offense is substantially improved from last year's.

I know in another thread you said we have more 20 goal scorers than we had last year, but I'm not sure I see it. Gabby, Higgins, Drury, Cally, Dubi, Kotalik. That's 6. We had 5 last year. So, maybe our secondary scoring is better than last year's, but not by much.

Sadly, I can see us being around the same as last year. 7th seems reasonable to me, I just see sooo many question marks... and in my experience as a sports fan, question marks are usually not good.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:47 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
TOP offense in the East.
What?

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
What?
i agree, i think were a bottom 3rd team at best...were probably in the 20-25 range right now.

Old
07-15-2009, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
picking the rangers for 3rd is ridiculous. statistically we are actually worse off right now (if zherdev leaves) than we were at the end of last season.
Kotalik replaces Zherdev's 50 plus point season. You are talking like Zherdev is Malkin.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Hehe...7th?

TOP offense in the East.
ELITE Goalie in the East
=
TOP 5 TEAM
Top offense LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Kotalik replaces Zherdev's 50 plus point season. You are talking like Zherdev is Malkin.
He's cracked 50 points once and that was playing with briere and vanek

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
flyguys7475

top offense? the rangers were dead last in scoring last yr. and gaborik wont carry this team like people think he will... lundqvist will carry this team like he has done the last 2 yrs.

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:48 AM
HAPPY HOUR

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the Rangers will score the most goals of any team that name starts with NEW (.......).

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think Rangers will be better than Devils and TO won't make it . Buffalo will if Miller is healthy
Don't see why they'll be better than the Devils yet. NJ hasn't done a lot to improve their team this year, but they will have a healthy Rolston at least to start the season and can probably count on some help from prospects. I don't think they'll drop off too far yet. And the Rangers have a lot to prove in terms of whether the team can come together and play effectively under Tortorella.

Toronto, I'm not sure, they could go either way. They improved their D pretty well, but if they trade Kaberle, it's going to take a big hit again.

Not sure if I see Buffalo making it. They haven't done anything to improve, and I don't see any great prospects ready to make a difference.

Rangers at 7 seems about right at the moment. They'll probably struggle some at some point during the season just because of all the new faces.

Also, a lot of Devils fans in here for some odd reason

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Hehe...7th?

TOP offense in the East.
ELITE Goalie in the East
=
TOP 5 TEAM
I don't know about "top" offense. I think the offense will be much improved, but if the season started today, I still see us as a middle of the pack offense.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys7475 View Post
top offense? the rangers were dead last in scoring last yr. and gaborik wont carry this team like people think he will... lundqvist will carry this team like he has done the last 2 yrs.
Ever watch a Minnesota game?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
darko

Quote:
Hehe...7th?

TOP offense in the East.
ELITE Goalie in the East
=
TOP 5 TEAM

hehe very confident...

Gaborik - 42 (career high)
Drury - 37 (career high)
Dubi - 20
Callahan - 30
Higgins - 27 (career high)
Avery - 15 (career high)
Kotalik - 25 (career high)
AA - 15
Lisin - 20

D - 30 (our D scored 25 goals last season)

That's a total of 261. Last year that would've ranked us 5th in East and 7th overall. It would mean that Gabby would need to stay healthy and guys like Drury, Higgins and Kotalik would need to match their career highs, Dubi would need to net 20 and Cally 30. We would also need good contributions from AA and Lisin. Drury wont even come close to sniffing 37 goals and while Cally could reach 30 I just dont see it next year...

You are being very optimistic. I would be extremely surprised if we score more than 250 goals...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Why are you counting Antropov's total amount of points when he only had a handful with the Rangers last season? That skews your numbers quite a bit.

Personally, I think you're covering for your boy Torts.

If you dont think the team to start this season is noticeably more talented than the roster that started last season, then you need to have your head examined.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
hehe very confident...

Gaborik - 42 (career high)
Drury - 37 (career high)
Dubi - 20
Callahan - 30
Higgins - 27 (career high)
Avery - 15 (career high)
Kotalik - 25 (career high)
AA - 15
Lisin - 20

D - 30 (our D scored 25 goals last season)

That's a total of 261. Last year that would've ranked us 5th in East and 7th overall. It would mean that Gabby would need to stay healthy and guys like Drury, Higgins and Kotalik would need to match their career highs, Dubi would need to net 20 and Cally 30. We would also need good contributions from AA and Lisin. Drury wont even come close to sniffing 37 goals and while Cally could reach 30 I just dont see it next year...

You are being very optimistic. I would be extremely surprised if we score more than 250 goals...
Thanks for that breakdown.

What I see is a team with the potential to have a very good offense if things break right. A team with the potential to have an excellent offense if everything breaks right. However, when does everything break right? Someone will get injured, someone will have a crappy season, etc.

Middle of the pack offense.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Thanks for that breakdown.

What I see is a team with the potential to have a very good offense if things break right. A team with the potential to have an excellent offense if everything breaks right. However, when does everything break right? Someone will get injured, someone will have a crappy season, etc.

Middle of the pack offense.
Thats pretty much it. The potential is there for a solid offense.

This team isn't counting on Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes, and Aaron Voros to fill top 6 forward spots.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
DontStepanMe

I'm not a big fan of this article. the way I see it so far is

1. Pitt
2. Wash
3. Boston
4. Philly
5. Rangers
6. Carolina
7. Buffalo
8. Devils
9. Tampa Bay
10. Montreal
11. Atlanta
12. Florida
13. Ottawa
14. Toronto
15. Isles

I do believe that our offense will be much better than last year, although my only concern is who is going to be our playmakers? I also forsee Anisimov becoming integral by the end of the year b/c of his playmaking ability. I think we will see him have a low goal total like 10-15 but his assists will be pretty high with about 30-40 (and maybe more depending on how much torts uses him).

Our offense will be in the 13-18 range this year.
Our defense will be in the 5-10 range.

Our PK will be around 8-10.
Our PP will be 10-15.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

EDIT: Guess I'm slow^^^^^^^^^^Rags225

In the East, right now I see Boston, Washington, Philly, and Pitttsburgh all having better offence than us. NYR and Carolina close for 5/6. Then alot of questiomarks that could go either way.

We will be relying heavily on Hank once again.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
LyNX27

Lets be realistic here. So I took the average number of points per player for completed season so we know if players have a decent year what they should have. This is over the career so it counts W. Redden in his rookie year. This is more a measure of potential than anything else.

These stats are averages of all seasons they played over 70 games, not my expectations.

A. Voros - Has never played more than 55 NHL games in a season
B. Boyle - Has never played more than 28 NHL games in a season
S. Avery - 12-22-34
C. Higgins - 25-20-45
C. Drury - 24-33-57
R. Callahan-22-18-40
M. Gaborik- 30-33-66
B. Dubinsky-14-27-41
D. Girardi - 7-18-25
W. Redden- 10-26-36
A. Kotalik - 24-29-53
M. Rozsival- 8-23-31
M. Staal - 3-10-13
N. Zherdev- 25-32-57 ( If we hold onto him)

*179 w/o Zherdev
*204 w/ Zherdev

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
i have us at 7th right now as well... but there is a long ass time to go before the season starts, a lot can happen to a club between now and then.
I dont see how the Devils are projected to be better and no possibility are the Sabres better even with Miller playing to his full potential.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote