HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA KINGS CAP Situation - Frolov

Old
07-18-2009, 01:18 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist View Post
Just remember this people, all of what DL has been saying about Frolov trying to get him motivated and everything, which means he most likely will not sign during this offseason instead DL is going to milk Frolov for all that he is worth and have him earn a contract

watch out for Frolov this year hes going to make alot of goalies lives a living hell this year
My worry is that Frolov will "loaf" his way to a career season and Lombardi will STILL have criticism over his "compete" level. At some point when a guy is so talented and productive, you shouldn't care about how he goes about doing his job.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
My worry is that Frolov will "loaf" his way to a career season and Lombardi will STILL have criticism over his "compete" level. At some point when a guy is so talented and productive, you shouldn't care about how he goes about doing his job.
I think our offense is going to be terrific this season, so there is no doubt in my mind that Frolov will get his numbers. I have the same fears and I think the management is more likely to push Frolov out than keep him at this point. But with our top 6 solidified, throw in a dash of chemistry, we may be looking at a resurgence of this era barring injury:

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think our offense is going to be terrific this season, so there is no doubt in my mind that Frolov will get his numbers. I have the same fears and I think the management is more likely to push Frolov out than keep him at this point. But with our top 6 solidified, throw in a dash of chemistry, we may be looking at a resurgence of this era barring injury:

Memories...misty water color memories, of the way we were...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 03:22 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Whoever is interested should take a look at the "best forwards" poll in the poll section. They actually think Corey Perry is better than Frolov!

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Randart

Ahhh There is a Name for This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Whoever is interested should take a look at the "best forwards" poll in the poll section. They actually think Corey Perry is better than Frolov!
Here in LA County we call that Quack Humor!
What would you expect out of a place called Ana-slime???

Oh Yeah an BTW on the cap situation as it pertains to Fro.... Sign the man and deal with the cap!
DL... you have a turbin to pull out your tricks do some magic!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
and yet YOU vote for Bobby Ryan over Frolov in same said Poll ???

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:23 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
and yet YOU vote for Bobby Ryan over Frolov in same said Poll ???
Missur Frolov wasn't a choice

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Omni Owl

Bobby Ryan is/will be better than Frolov. The only reason Perry is considered on par w/ Frolov is because of Getzlaf. Put Perry on a line w/ Armstrong and Cammalleri and I doubt he can score as much as Frolov did.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Memories...misty water color memories, of the way we were...
It is coming

This top 6 is going to do some damage and remind us of the days of old. Every single player in our top 6 has had a 30 goal season...

Old
07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
It is coming

This top 6 is going to do some damage and remind us of the days of old. Every single player in our top 6 has had a 30 goal season...
Minus Stoll.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Smyth and Williams are the key to the whole thing.

I am most concerned about Kopitar. He comes in as anything less than built of granite, strong and ready to play a fierce and physical game (aking to what Malkin has done to his game) and I worry that at his price tag, this could be his last season.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Minus Stoll.
That is correct. I knew that when I made the statement and knew someone would bring it up, I actually failed to remember that Handzus never had one =/ I thought he did so I was just going to swap them. But hey, 5 out of 6 isn't bad

Quote:
Smyth and Williams are the key to the whole thing.

I am most concerned about Kopitar. He comes in as anything less than built of granite, strong and ready to play a fierce and physical game (aking to what Malkin has done to his game) and I worry that at his price tag, this could be his last season.
I don't think we have to worry about Kopitar going anywhere. I really see no chance of it. I think I could replace Kopitar with Frolov in your sentence and it would make perfect sense though.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Missur Frolov wasn't a choice

X - *****
X - *****
X - *****
X - *****
X - Other (name him)

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't think we have to worry about Kopitar going anywhere. I really see no chance of it. I think I could replace Kopitar with Frolov in your sentence and it would make perfect sense though.
Cap hit for an underachieving soft star during an upcoming year (2010-2011) of a severely dropping cap? Kopitar may be as good as gone. Dean claims to value asset management and when a highly touted stock in which he has invested significant money is underperforming in an opportunity filled recession market, a prudent portfolio manager may advise "sell" and "reinvest" elsewhere.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Cap hit for an underachieving soft star during an upcoming year (2010-2011) of a severely dropping cap? Kopitar may be as good as gone. Dean claims to value asset management and when a highly touted stock in which he has invested significant money is underperforming in an opportunity filled recession market, a prudent portfolio manager may advise "sell" and "reinvest" elsewhere.
I just can't envision it. He is locked as the 1st line center for years to come regardless in my opinion. Unless he puts up like 10 points or falls off the face of the earth Preissing style, I just don't see how it is possible for us to unload him. Not to mention that he has never shown us a reason to believe he would drop that low. He has been our most consistent player. Dean is also too strategic when it comes to funds. Kopitar is still pretty young, even if he somehow manages just 50 points, Dean has already paved the way for his contract and I would easily bet money on him being here next season getting another chance.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:56 AM
ukyo

Heh. Wishful thinking, but the chances that we'll be seeing something akin to LAPD again in the near future are remote at best. That line was arguably the best line in hockey whenever it was on the ice. Top three definitely.

Old
07-19-2009, 12:58 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Heh. What ever happened to long-term buy-and-hold?

Old
07-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Heh. Wishful thinking, but the chances that we'll be seeing something akin to LAPD again in the near future are remote at best. That line was arguably the best line in hockey whenever it was on the ice. Top three definitely.
I think our youth has a good chance of achieving the individual success of that line. Take our top players now. Frolov is our Palffy, Kopitar our Allison, and Brown our Deadmarsh. I think if they were given the time to mesh they could very well turn into a dominant line like the days of old.

I think Smyth is better suited on the second line especially given that he and Stoll have a bit of a past and were former linemates. Williams probably will end up on the first line, but I think Brown will be better in the long run and could use the additional exposure in a first line situation again. He is still young and can easily step into the next level. Kopitar has just needed steady linemates that work well and produce for him, and Frolov is Frolov -- can always depend in him.

Old
07-19-2009, 04:59 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
It is coming

Oh god, the memories. **** you, injuries.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 05:04 AM
ean

I think if we've learned anything it's that scoring LWers are not very common and getting good hockey players to come to LA is very difficult. Frolov is here, so let's try and keep him here, if on reasonable terms.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 05:04 AM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Oh god, the memories. **** you, injuries.
this video is really bitter sweet, who knows what could have been if that line would have been more healthy

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:46 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Who would replace Kopitar? It would be easier to replace Frolov. No one in the Kings system has the potential to center a 1st line, even Schenn as he's more of a 2nd/3rd liner.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 07-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.
SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:50 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I think our youth has a good chance of achieving the individual success of that line. Take our top players now. Frolov is our Palffy, Kopitar our Allison, and Brown our Deadmarsh. I think if they were given the time to mesh they could very well turn into a dominant line like the days of old.

I think Smyth is better suited on the second line especially given that he and Stoll have a bit of a past and were former linemates. Williams probably will end up on the first line, but I think Brown will be better in the long run and could use the additional exposure in a first line situation again. He is still young and can easily step into the next level. Kopitar has just needed steady linemates that work well and produce for him, and Frolov is Frolov -- can always depend in him.
The problem with your logic is that Palffy/Allison/Deadmarsh are all better than who you compared them to: especially Palffy.

Also, Allison gets crapped on a lot by Kings fans but he is easily the best center this team has had since Gretzky. If Kopitar would start to use his body more then he could be better than Allison but until that happens I easily give the nod to Allison.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
The problem with your logic is that Palffy/Allison/Deadmarsh are all better than who you compared them to: especially Palffy.

Also, Allison gets crapped on a lot by Kings fans but he is easily the best center this team has had since Gretzky. If Kopitar would start to use his body more then he could be better than Allison but until that happens I easily give the nod to Allison.
Well, yeah. I was aiming for a more futuristic point of view. I am not saying this season is the next LAPD line... I am very well aware of the differences between Frolov and Palffy and the pedestal of untested greatness the LAPD line looks down upon us from, but as far as numbers are concerned, give the youth a couple more years, I think they can attain similar numbers within their own right. Kopitar still hasn't shown what he can do and Brown still has another level to go to, I think our offense is going to be just fine. Maybe nothing gaudy, but certainly enough to get the job done and be noticed around the league.

Frolov may never be a Palffy, but Kopitar could be an Allison, and I think Brown will likely achieve that of Deadmarsh. Within their own right, they can do some noticeable damage.

Old
07-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Gaborik would have been our next Palffy, but that didn't happen.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote