HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 - 2010 Lines + team

Old
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Again, Pat Kane was never a 3rd liner. He began in the top 6. Led team in scoring, 3rd in minutes per game by forwards on team. This is the type of path I think FIlatov will take (not leading team in scoring, but beginning in top 6).
We Hash made the Kane reference, I think she was referring to "Kane the player" not "Kane, how he was used in his rookie year".

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Again, Pat Kane was never a 3rd liner. He began in the top 6. Led team in scoring, 3rd in minutes per game by forwards on team. This is the type of path I think FIlatov will take (not leading team in scoring, but beginning in top 6).
My comparison to Kane was that of both he and Filatov being small, skilled players. That's it. If Hitch feels as though he can come in and be an effective player that is for the good of the team with 18 minutes a night then he will get that, however, his basis for making the team will not be based upon that.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Its not that he isn't capable of it he would be. Its more that I think they'd rather him get 18M a night in his proper role in Syracuse rather than 7M a night in Columbus in more of a checking line role.
Welcome to "As Filatov Turns". Watch and enjoy as Filatov is used exactly how you don't think he should be. Giggle at the CBJ cliff jumpers when Huselius gets hurt and Torres or Chimera move up and Filatov continues to play the bottom six. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Hitchcock won't start him on the second line, I do agree with Hashmarks that he will follow a similar path as Hitchcock did with Brassard and Voracek-4th line duty first. However I don't think he will get 15 minutes a night until he is on the second line. But that's the key, as you say he is a second player and that's where he needs to play not the fourth line.

Last edited by Robert: 07-17-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Welcome to "As Filatov Turns". Watch and enjoy as Filatov is used exactly how you don't think he should be. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Lol yeah I just got into the Blue Jackets this year so I'm a new fan. I live in COlumbus 9 months out of the year so I figured why not. Blue jacket hockey...gotta love it.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Its not that he isn't capable of it he would be. Its more that I think they'd rather him get 18M a night in his proper role in Syracuse rather than 7M a night in Columbus in more of a checking line role.
He could have gotten that at the end of last year in Syracuse, yet they brought him up to sit around and watch.

I actually don't think any player (other than perhaps Boll the odd time) got only 7 minutes a night...I'd have to check though.

Filatov will never be used in a checking roll.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
He could have gotten that at the end of last year in Syracuse, yet they brought him up to sit around and watch.

I actually don't think any player (other than perhaps Boll the odd time) got only 7 minutes a night...I'd have to check though.

Filatov will never be used in a checking roll.
Your correct about the minutes, I said 6-7 the other day but later looked it up and no player averaged less than 8 per game... So even on the 4th line Filatov should get at least 8 minutes a night, perhaps more if your correct about his use on the PP.

Old
07-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Axel H (Flashy G)

vCash: 50
let's sign Bob Probert to a minimum salary, one year deal. And not dress him for any games other than the ones against Dallas. Neal, prepare to meet your maker.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
let's sign Bob Probert to a minimum salary, one year deal. And not dress him for any games other than the ones against Dallas. Neal, prepare to meet your maker.
Heck at that point we might as well trade for Jody Shelley back. Sounds like that's the role he has with the Sharks now.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
sinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwithoutahead View Post
Picard has had some really untimely injuries. It's hard not to feel for the guy. I really would like to see him in the NHL next season. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge around here, but he closed out last AHL season with 17 goals and 4 assists in his last 17 games. Pretty impressive. He provides a gritty presence down low and he adds a nice blend of toughness, speed and scoring potential in the bottom six.
I agree with you about Picard. Seeing him play healthy at the end of the season for the first time in over two years, I thought he dominated other teams in the final 20 games. He drove to the next and skated around AHL level players like he was a man playing with boys. He is going to be my pick for break through player on the CBJ's this season.

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
I agree with you about Picard. Seeing him play healthy at the end of the season for the first time in over two years, I thought he dominated other teams in the final 20 games. He drove to the next and skated around AHL level players like he was a man playing with boys. He is going to be my pick for break through player on the CBJ's this season.
I hope so, I was impressed with performance up here when we had all the injuries. I'm hoping he sticks.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
With all the names being tossed around of late I forgot about him. I was impressed with his play late last year as well. He's a player we should keep an eye on.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Heck at that point we might as well trade for Jody Shelley back. Sounds like that's the role he has with the Sharks now.
"Jody Shelley has been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a $2 off Subway coupon and 'future considerations'. Jackets fans are reportedly thrilled with the move."

I think I'll take him back when he's going to be in the front office.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:18 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Who do we have at the NHL level and/or NHL/AHL tweeners that can be sent up and down without waivers?

My list (these are just guesses please add to it and correct where needed):
Filatov
Dorsett
Russell
Boll
Brassard
Voracek

Is that it?

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Filatov should be in Syracuse if Hitch plans to bury his talent on the 4th line.
Need I remind the board of Gilbert Brule?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Late to the party, as usual, TW. The responses to your comments are to be found in the five preceding pages, but I have no doubt someone will be willing to play along.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Late to the party, as usual, TW. The responses to your comments are to be found in the five preceding pages, but I have no doubt someone will be willing to play along.
I doubt it, it's pretty clear he will follow the pattern of our other rookie stars, which is top line duty within weeks.

Note: spelling and grammar checked, if itís wrong blame MS Word.

Old
07-18-2009, 02:54 AM
warlockmb

Nash-Brassard-Voracek (Brassard and Voracek had great chemistry)
Filatov-Vermette-Huselius (lacking D but wow could be very good scoring line)
Umberger-Pahlsson-Torres (This is an great shut down line and they can score)
Chimera-Murray-Modin (If Healthy the best 4th line in hockey)
Boll, Dorsett (gives Modin and Chimmer days off)

Commodore-Hejda
Tyutin-Klesla
Russell-Methot
Guessing they will sign a seventh Dman.

Mason
Garon

This is going by what we have but I do think that there will be guys traded for players and am hopeful for the Zubov signing which will change things greatly. I do see players like Chimera, Boll, and Russell as trade bait and a player like Picard making the team.

Last edited by warlockmb: 07-18-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: h
warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

A couple of things to summarize....

1) If Modin is healthy he will have a spot on the team his NMC makes it unlikely he goes anywhere. Some of us wish this wasn't the case but alas it is. It's only for 1 more year but it's going to happen (until he gets hurt)

2) Filatov is likely to make the team, like it or not. He's on that trajectory and will continue his development like Voracek and Brassard did - He'll be moved through the lineup based on matchups and situations. He'll play 9-12 minutes a night until he EARNS more. Forget what "line" he plays on. Situational play will be the ticket and as someone pointed out it will be different on the road than at home especially early in the season and lots of time on the PP.

3) Just because Voracek doesn't score goals (yet) does not mean he's a 3rd line player. For every assist he provides that's an additional goal for the CBJ so if he goes 12g, 43a next year that's top 6 scoring based on league scoring data. For simplicity there would theoretically be 60 centers (#60 - Rich Peverly 44 pts), 60 LW (#60 - Frederick Modin 25 pts )and 60 RW (#60 - Dustin Byfuglein 31 pts) for top 6 players. I think we all know that points aren't everything but some production is needed to be considered a top 6 player (ie. Manny Malhotra doesn't make the top 60 C and is widely considered a bottom 6, more like bottom 3 type skill set). All this being said, Jake was in the Top 60 RW in points (#47) and top 180 forwards overall (#169)(all stats based on NHL.com data). What's my point? If we based details on scoring I was amazed at how low the points actually were for the top 180 players in the league. My impression was you needed to put up more than 50 pts to be a top 6 player. Now that seems like you're a pretty damn good top 67 player based on last year's statistics. Jake IS a top 6 talent

4) The Jackets' top 6 based on points would have been Nash, Huselius, Williams, Umberger, Vermette and Voracek in that order. Based on the top 180 forwards all would have been on the list too. technically Manny Malhotra tied for #180 with 35 pts.

Clearly this isn't the only way to judge but one thing a player has to do if he wants TOI is put up points at some level that justifies his ice time and must play the other facets of the game. So....we lose Williams - a top 6 point producer - but gain back Brassard. We have Vermette for a full year and another year of experience for Voracek. The top 6 looks to be just like most have outlined.

Filatov has the talent and by the end of the year fits into the discussion. My hope is we're next year's Boston who had 9 forwards in the top 180 in points. It could happen based on expected growth and health.

Does this decide the Filatov on the 4th line debate and will he be ruined, better in Syracuse, etc. Of course not but I had fun.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 02:56 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockmb View Post
Nash-Brassard-Voracek (Brassard and Voracek had great chemistry)
Filatov-Vermette-Huselius (lacking D but wow could be very good scoring line)
Umberger-Pahlsson-Torres (This is an great shut down line and they can score)
Chimera-Murray-Modin (If Healthy the best 4th line in hockey)
Boll, Dorsett (gives Modin and Chimmer days off)

Commodore-Hejda
Tyutin-Klesla
Russell-Methot
Guessing they will sign a seventh Dman.

Mason
Garon

This is going by what we have but I do think that there will be guys traded for players and am hopeful for the Zubov signing which will change things greatly. I do see players like Chimera, Boll, and Russell as trade bait and a player like Picard making the team.
This makes sense to me. I don't think the forward lines will start this way, but could see it evolving to this in Nov or Dec. I could see switching Huselius and Voracek, but I forgot about the chemistry between Jake and Brass, so your lineup could make sense there. Like many, I'm picturing Filatov starting on the 4th line and *hoping* he quickly earns his way to the 2nd by scoring at a blistering pace. That would be really nice.

The D pairings look right. I'm hoping we get a new D-man to work the PP (I'm on board w/the Zubov idea), but after reading Puckrakers today, I'm not holding my breath.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Filatov should be in Syracuse if Hitch plans to bury his talent on the 4th line.
Need I remind the board of Gilbert Brule?
Gilbert Brule's AHL stats as a 22 year old = 13 g 11 a in 39 games.
Nikita Filatov's AHL stats as an 18 year old = 16 g 16 a in 39 games.

Gilbert Brule = 14 career NHL goals in 96 games.
Nikita Filatov = 4 career NHL goals in 8 games.

Thanks for the reminder, Timeless.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

And we all know stats are the only thing that matters, nothing else.

Old
07-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
And we all know stats are the only thing that matters, nothing else.
Just like the arbitrary meaning of "fourth line" when talking about how Hitch would use it if Filatov was on it.

Remember what our fourth line was at the start of the season last year?

Chimera-Brassard-Voracek

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Just like the arbitrary meaning of "fourth line" when talking about how Hitch would use it if Filatov was on it.
Well at this point we really don't know, some say he'll give the 4th line alot of minutes, but only Hitch knows. He typically does not like small, skilled, foreign players. Unless he's changed recently.

Old
07-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Monk

Indeed. He's a racist midget-hater.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote