HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat Speaks out on Tallon's Firing

Old
07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
hockey first

vCash: 500
Havlat Speaks out on Tallon's Firing

Here's a link of what Havalat had to say about Dale Tallon's firing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284740

So Hawks fans, what do you think?

hockey first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Teemu

I feel bad for Minneosta fans because it sounds like Havlat would much rather play for Chicago (minus the drama)

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
RichNash61

Wow, I cant believe they fired Tallon. I knew Bowman would be in the mix-just wow on the response of Havlat!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Sean Avery*

Who is Havalat?

Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:15 AM
hockey first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
Who is Havalat?
Really???? thats your response, lol. Okay "Havlat".

Old
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Sean Avery*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey first View Post
Really???? thats your response, lol. Okay "Havlat".
Just giving you crap...

We already had this discussion in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliuuuuu View Post
I don't blame Havlat at all for being upset. He loved it here and really wanted to stay... However, how childish of him tweeting bitter messages. If I was Wild management or his agent I'd tell him to knock that crap off.
EDIT: After reading the article I agree with what Havlat is saying but I do not like the manner in which he handled it. I also don't think this will affect how the players play next year.

Last edited by Sean Avery*: 07-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Sean Avery* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
zac

This whole thing is NOT good.

I'm one to believe where there is smoke there is fire and there's a huge plume of smoke on the horizon of this story. From rumors the bad contracts weren't Dale's doing to a potential player mutiny due to the handling of Dale, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that can divide the lockerroom.

The players showed there were behind Dale 100% last year in attending his father's funeral. Now you fire your GM AFTER he re-signs all the players fromt the UFA fiasco. I sure hope Rocky know wtf is going on as this whole thing stinks to high heaven. If he doesn't he needs to start talking to people because if (and I emphasize as I do not know) McDonough is as backhanded as reports are making it seem, then he (and others) need to be out of there.

And if people don't think this sort of thing can't/won't impact our ability to re-sign our stars, then they have another thing coming. As a player I wouldn't want to play for a GM that I thought was a snake no matter what my allegiance was to the team.

Hopefully this is all sour grapes and the rest are just rumors, but if I was a betting man I'd probably be on Havlat's side. Something isn't right in the front office, and I don't think that it is/was Tallon.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
wendelclark17

If this is true, it is a shame. I absolutley hate it when good hockey people take the hit for others' mistakes.

At least he is still with the organization in another role.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
hockey first

[QUOTE=Aliuuuuu;20432838]Just giving you crap...

We already had this discussion in the other thread.

Yah alright, thats Cool,

But the way he came out in Tallon's Defense and ripped the president of the team deserved its own thread.

In my opinion, I was kinda shocked of Tallon being let go (or moved to another position), though he might have overpayed a few players, he made that up by not making the playoffs one year, to making it to the Conference finals the other, only losing to the defending champs. I mean come on, thats a huge leap, especially with a very young roster, like havlat put it. I also think with the huge contracts he gave out to most his players, they were happy, and they showed it by playing hard this past year.

Old
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
At least he is still with the organization in another role.
There's no ground to assume that his reassignment was a goodwill gesture.

1) Tallon remains under contract and will get paid regardless of whether he's dismissed or reassigned. This is Chicago just trying to get some value out of his contract.

2) If there is a lot of ill will between Tallon and the Hawks, maybe they assigned him to a role he would hate. That way, if he quits, Chicago no longer has to pay him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I agree with Holmgren that Dale Tallon got a raw deal in Chicago. And the more I ask people about it, the Blackhawks didn't fire Tallon as GM over the qualifying offers flap two weeks ago. It appears some in the organization was looking for reasons to jettison Tallon in a front-office takeover coup.

All the positive publicity that the Hawks generated this season under Rocky Wirtz just got flushed down the hopper.

Amazing. And sad, too.
This was written by Tim Pannacio a reporter who covers the Flyers for CSN, he's not known as the most knowledgeable hockey guy but this is what he said.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
This just reinforces the idea that McDonough is an over controlling president that cares more about marketing than hockey. I feel bad for Marty. You can tell he still wants to be here and is upset over this whole deal. Tallon definitely got shafted on this. I am not going to take this out on Bowman, but McDonough is on my short list of people I strongly dislike. He's a weaselly little guy that wont be a man and admit why he acted the way he did. I sure hope this isn't the first of many instances to come of him meddling in important affairs due to his ego.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
wendelclark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
There's no ground to assume that his reassignment was a goodwill gesture.

1) Tallon remains under contract and will get paid regardless of whether he's dismissed or reassigned. This is Chicago just trying to get some value out of his contract.

2) If there is a lot of ill will between Tallon and the Hawks, maybe they assigned him to a role he would hate. That way, if he quits, Chicago no longer has to pay him.

I didnt assume it was in good gesture to Tallon, but the players that played for him. The players cared about this guy significantly and played hard for him.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
willfenix

Send a message via AIM to willfenix
I don't really get it, it seems like the general consensus among a large and always growing group of Blackhawks fans has been that Tallon wasn't a good GM. The only person making this out to be a conspiracy is Havlat. Tallon did some good things, but a lot of the great things he did were no brainers. It's not like drafting Toews was a brilliant move, it was an obvious choice (well, obvious enough). The only thing that is going to create a stir in the locker room is Havlat speaking on behalf of an entire team that he isn't a part of anymore, putting words in their mouths and forcing their hand to clarify which "side" they're going to take.

willfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfenix View Post
I don't really get it, it seems like the general consensus among a large and always growing group of Blackhawks fans has been that Tallon wasn't a good GM. The only person making this out to be a conspiracy is Havlat. Tallon did some good things, but a lot of the great things he did were no brainers. It's not like drafting Toews was a brilliant move, it was an obvious choice (well, obvious enough). The only thing that is going to create a stir in the locker room is Havlat speaking on behalf of an entire team that he isn't a part of anymore, putting words in their mouths and forcing their hand to clarify which "side" they're going to take.
A growing consensus among CBHHC apologists.

I don't like the way that this **** is going.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
salty justice

I agree with Havlat.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
I agree with Holmgren that Dale Tallon got a raw deal in Chicago. And the more I ask people about it, the Blackhawks didn't fire Tallon as GM over the qualifying offers flap two weeks ago. It appears some in the organization was looking for reasons to jettison Tallon in a front-office takeover coup.

All the positive publicity that the Hawks generated this season under Rocky Wirtz just got flushed down the hopper.

Amazing. And sad, too.
Quote:
This was written by Tim Pannacio a reporter who covers the Flyers for CSN, he's not known as the most knowledgeable hockey guy but this is what he said.
That is one of the stupidest things I ever read. Wirtz didn't flush away all the positive publicity away. Did the Bulls wither and die when Collins was replaced? Did the Bears cease to be after Ditka got the axe?

As for Havlat,,,,,,,,,,,, He should shut up.......... Hossa is a better player and wont get hurt.

Havlat should have had the decency to give the Hawks a break if he was so wanting to be a Hawk. We paid him top tier money to play 1 full yr, 1 half year and a 1/3rd of a yr!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:44 PM
massivegoonery

I also agree with Havlat.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Havlat should have had the decency to give the Hawks a break if he was so wanting to be a Hawk. We paid him top tier money to play 1 full yr, 1 half year and a 1/3rd of a yr!
I think one has to contemplate that Havlat wanted to sign here but McDonough overrode the deal.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
crimsonking

As much as I feel for Havlat right now, he does need to be quiet now. Not because bringing his story to light might be right or wrong, but more for Havlat. What's done is done, and the more he vents about it over time on his twitter account, the more people are going to think he is becoming obsessed and whiney with calling people out like a vendetta. Won't look good in his future. Wild fans have something good to look forward too (provided he stays healthy).

At any rate, thanks for the year Havlat. It was a pleasure watching you.

crimsonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
joolzie

Quote:
As for Havlat,,,,,,,,,,,, He should shut up.......... Hossa is a better player and wont get hurt.
Maybe Havlat should shut up, but his speaking out doesn't have anything to do with Hossa. And in regards to Hossa, you can say that he hasn't had the history of injury, but to say he won't get hurt is tempting the hockey gods in ways they find amusing.

joolzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
southerncross116

Quote:
Did the Bulls wither and die when Collins was replaced? Did the Bears cease to be after Ditka got the axe?

Ok, while I agree on the Havlat stuff, only to the point that look Havlat signed with another team, and that should be his concern now...

but to be completely fair, the Bulls analogy should have been - did the Bulls whither and die after Jerry Krause left? Well, yes- but mainly because Jordan left, and Pippen left, Jackson left beforehand, and the team was blown up -and no one wanted to play for them until Ben Wallace (as a Free Agent of any note) ... and that one didn't work out so well.

The Bears ceased to be *before* Ditka got the axe to be technical - didn't they go 6 and 10 his last year?

And of course, take a look at the Cubs ... under to tutelage of Mr McDonough they have won exactly the same number of World Series (as well as made the same number of World Series) as they had before Mr McDonough had anything to do with them ... but well, the marketing works well for them now.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:51 AM
hemskysuncle

all i can say is this makes things alot more interesting during the normal slow moving summer months.

what piques my interest is the timing of the whole thing and that is what makes me wonder if what Havlat is saying is true. sure he has a few bloated contracts...but so did our boy Lowe in Edmonton, and we are all quite aware of the huge trouble that stupid contracts has created in philly, NY, NJ, TB, just to name a few. It is not uncommon. The idea that, despite the flub up with the qualifying offers and the big stink made about it by the NHLPA, all these players signed on the dotted line for what I would say is a hometown discount before it really became an issue, shows me that he is a GM that the players play for. And that is rare. The only team I know of that has someone like that right now is Calgary. For that very reason, I can't see a very good reason to oust him from what has been so far presented, and so I can only suspect that there is something we are not being told...which is why, even though I feel Havlat should not be "tweeting" this stuff, and it is somewhat questionable considering he is on another team now, I am leaning towards believing what he is suggesting, or at least I am wondering what is there being hidden under the rug.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

The truth will come out eventually whether by Havlat or others. Tallon was paid off by McCub for his silence on this and the other FA issues, namely Campbell and Huet and to prevent an all out mutiny by the players.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Teemu

At this point, when I hear Havlat talk, I see in my mind that Swiffer commercial where the mop sings "Baby Come Back"

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote