HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Most Overrated

View Poll Results: Who is the most overrated out of the following star players?
Toews 23 13.07%
Luongo 60 34.09%
Zetterberg 14 7.95%
Gaborik 50 28.41%
Kane 29 16.48%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
MoonDragn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
Stop pucks. Who is better than him? Brodeur? Lundqvist? Mason?
Yes. Though we haven't seen Mason for more than a season yet.

Brodeur certainly, one can argue a case between Lundqvist and Luongo, but Lundqvist does have an Olympic gold medal.

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Where did you read that? He was just saying the "He has not won anything!" argument is ridiculous - which it is.

And it absolutely would not be too far-fetched to consider Luongo a better goaltender than Brodeur at this point. (No, I'm no Canucks fan.)
It's not just the lack of Cups. It's the whole "clutch" thing. Luongo has never had a "clutch" moment in the NHL when he led his team farther than their play warranted, and he was decidedly "unclutch" in the second round (yes the whole second round) this past year, as well as down the stretch last year.

Also, when I say he hasn't won anything, I'm also talking about Vezinas.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
"i would not trade Luongo for AO,

AO=Just excitement for fans
Luongo=CUP"
AO just excitement for the fans? Come post when Luongo has won two Hart Trophy's in a row. Or two Vezina's in a row which is equivalent to winning the Richard trophy.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
It's not just the lack of Cups. It's the whole "clutch" thing. Luongo has never had a "clutch" moment in the NHL when he led his team farther than their play warranted, and he was decidedly "unclutch" in the second round (yes the whole second round) this past year, as well as down the stretch last year.

Also, when I say he hasn't won anything, I'm also talking about Vezinas.
Meh, I'm not high on the "clutch" thing. He's been as clutchy as it gets against the Stars in 2007. This year the Canucks team as a whole collapsed pretty badly against the Hawks and it should not take a goalie to tell anyone that it's hardly possible to look good as a goalie when that happens to that extent.

In my mind one could make a point about a Vezina this year. I don't really value that trophy all that much since it tends to be given to goalies with better numbers, what really the Jennings and Crozier Awards are for. Not nearly always does a better goalie put up better numbers.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
"i would not trade Luongo for AO,

AO=Just excitement for fans
Luongo=CUP"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
How is that worked out so far for ya?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
AO just excitement for the fans? Come post when Luongo has won two Hart Trophy's in a row. Or two Vezina's in a row which is equivalent to winning the Richard trophy.
I'm just going to go on a limb and say those quotation marks he used in that post might actually mean something along the lines of it being a quote. Not sure, though.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

Of course the canuck is winning. This poll should have had Marleau as well. Thornton buffers all of his choking.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
Yes. Though we haven't seen Mason for more than a season yet.
Mason is not a better goaltender than Luongo right now. It's just illustrating my point that goaltending is the thing hockey fans know least about. There's no shame in it when people start admitting it, like even some NHL coaches do. They won't comment on goaltending (except for the standard-quotes) and let their goaltending coaches and goalies do the job.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Getzlaf, because HF thinks he's better than Joe Thornton

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
i don't know what to make of polls like this because i figure if a player is overrated by so many people, all those people aren't going to vote for that player.

if you throw getzlaf in there you gotta throw in steve mason, kipprusoff, nabokov and dustin brown.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Getzlaf, because HF thinks he's better than Joe Thornton
So do the regular season stats - while Getzlaf played on what was a one-line team for the bigger parts of the regular season and Thornton played on the Presidents trophy winner. I would say there can be a great case made for Getzlaf > Thornton.

Getzlaf vs. Global Warming - that's a different story, obviously.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
i don't know what to make of polls like this because i figure if a player is overrated by so many people, all those people aren't going to vote for that player.
That's deep...

Old
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
elriz

Luongo is incredibly overrated by fans, coaches, gms, the canadian olympic team selection committee, the people voting for the all star game, molson canadian 3 star selection process, and his mother

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
RabbinsDuck

I voted Luongo -- the guy is hailed as easily the best goaltender in the NHL by so many.
We're not talking about a young goaltender either, he's been in the NHL for close to a decade now, and all he has to show for it are two 2nd Team All Star selections.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

I think all of them are pretty overrated except for Gaborik. Sure some people call him a 50 goal scorer...but he is made of glass so we will probably never know if he can accomplish the feat.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post

if you throw getzlaf in there you gotta throw in steve mason, kipprusoff, nabokov and dustin brown.
Well I would agree that Dustin is really overrated. If he's anything more than your teams 6th best offensive player (and preferrably your 6th best top-6'er) than you are not making the playoffs

But yeah, Getzlaf is awesome, but he has a young career, and hasn't come close to being the league MVP, and hasn't done anything close to consecutive 90 assist seasons

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Well I would agree that Dustin is really overrated. If he's anything more than your teams 6th best offensive player (and preferrably your 6th best top-6'er) than you are not making the playoffs

But yeah, Getzlaf is awesome, but he has a young career, and hasn't come close to being the league MVP, and hasn't done anything close to consecutive 90 assist seasons
i try to be objective about judging people based on playoff success and failure. a lot of times people take way too big leaps of faith when they coin somebody a choker like they did with big joe, however if there is anybody you can make a good case for being a choker i guess it's him. and that remains by far the no.1 reason why people here prefer getzlaf over thornton. it's almost solely based on playoff performance. eric staal also murdered thornton in a head to head poll for the same reason. the sample size argument is getting a little harder to support as well, he now has 76 playoff games played and only 53 points. that's not horrible, and i know in the playoffs you don't get any pushovers that make scoring easy, but on the flip side getzlaf has been great in the playoffs (18 points in 13 games this year) and while joe has an amazing resume, getzlaf has only been about .01 ppg worse than him during the regular season over the past two years.

i'm really not an intangibles guy that much at all, and obviously im biased towards getzlaf, but even trying to step back and look at it impartially, there is at least a somewhat reasonable argument for getzlaf.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

I think this is a stupid poll because none of those are guys are overrated. I can see Luongo being overrated sure but look at the guys you put him against. None of those guys are really even overrated. You could have put players that actually are overrated and polled them against Luongo. Toews, Kane, Zetterberg and Gaborik aren't all that overrated so yeah out of those players Luongo wins this for sure.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
1234rer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
I'd just like to know what he's ever accomplished? Apparently he's better than Marty Brodeur.
So you basically just admitted to making this poll for a trolling purpose?

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towel-Power View Post
I think this is a stupid poll because none of those are guys are overrated. I can see Luongo being overrated sure but look at the guys you put him against. None of those guys are really even overrated. You could have put players that actually are overrated and polled them against Luongo. Toews, Kane, Zetterberg and Gaborik aren't all that overrated so yeah out of those players Luongo wins this for sure.
How are those guys not overrated. Gaborik is hailed as the 3rd best winger in the east and a 60 goal scorer. He hasn't come close to living up to that hype. Toews and Kane are still really young, but people think Toews has a shot at making Team Canada next year and act as though he's an elite forward in the league. The guy got 69 points, he will be elite in the future possibly, but he's not yet. Alex Semin said Kane was better than Crosby so he's overrated. And Luongo being in this poll is self-explanitory.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234rer View Post
So you basically just admitted to making this poll for a trolling purpose?
Well Luongo is cleaning house in this poll, so I wouldn't consider it trolling. It's not like I put him in the poll against Ovechkin, Malkin, and Ray Bourque.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroniK View Post
I don't think any of these guys are overrated. If you want someone who is overrated, add Luke Schenn.
It's glad to see your Leaf hate Mr. Vancouver Canuck fan, but this is overrated stars in the league, not overrated rookies who haven't really proved much.

Old
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
moonknight31

out of the ppl on the list id say luongo is the most overrated but id say for the most part none of them is super highly overrated.

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
AgentNaslund*

Not sure how Luongo is overrrated, he is one of the best in his position. I think just because he hasnt won a thing a yet, doesn't mean he can't be one of the best in his position, its beyond our control When GM's voted Luongo as the 2nd player in the NHL they will build around. No offence guys, I take the word of a General Manger over some kid from Ablerta putting on another hate show on Luongo. This thread was an intent to slam Luongo. Its funny how he is kinda put into this thread. Look at the names in the Poll, Luongo does happen to be one of the most talked about players.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Not sure how Luongo is overrrated, he is one of the best in his position. I think just because he hasnt won a thing a yet, doesn't mean he can't be one of the best in his position, its beyond our control When GM's voted Luongo as the 2nd player in the NHL they will build around. No offence guys, I take the word of a General Manger over some kid from Ablerta putting on another hate show on Luongo. This thread was an intent to slam Luongo. Its funny how he is kinda put into this thread. Look at the names in the Poll, Luongo does happen to be one of the most talked about players.
The GMs are also the ones who vote on the Vezina.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
RogerRoeper*

That would be "Franchise Goaltender" Rick Dipietro.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote