HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury on ESPN Radio

Old
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Chris Drury on ESPN Radio

Anyone Catch Drury with Don Lagrecca today?

It was about 10 mins, He is in Cali for the off season, was happy they Got Gabby, he said he put in several calls & spoke to him about playing in NY. He is looking forward to a full year Under Torts, & is happy Renney landed on his feet. That about sums it up.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

"Yeah Scotty getting traded hurts, but it didn't ruin my week."

Being serious though. Drury is a very underrated captain. He helped bring Gilroy AND Gabby to NY.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

is there a clip of it to listen to?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
ThirdEye

Drury may get bashed here quite a bit, but now with Gomez gone I hope Drury stays here for at least the remainder of his contract. He's a good guy and can be a pretty darn good player. It's too bad he was handicapped by some pretty significant injuries toward the end of the last two postseasons, thus rendering him ineffective.

Hopefully he'll put better numbers this coming season now that Tortorella and Gaborik stole some of the spotlight

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Drury may get bashed here quite a bit, but now with Gomez gone I hope Drury stays here for at least the remainder of his contract. He's a good guy and can be a pretty darn good player. It's too bad he was handicapped by some pretty significant injuries toward the end of the last two postseasons, thus rendering him ineffective.

Hopefully he'll put better numbers this coming season now that Tortorella and Gaborik stole some of the spotlight
And considering nobody here is inside the locker room, I consider it quite unfair when people bash him as a Captain. There's a reason he has a reputation as a leader. He must have earned it somewhere. Not everybody can be Mess, but unfortunately, that's the standard everyone seems to hold all players to, and they consider anything less to be a terrible captain.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
XDAWG*

Drury is the worst Captain we've had not named Brian Leetch - he's a useless finger pointer - he meets the press head down, he mumbles and he's brutal in his own zone on the ice.

One of the 5 most overpaid NYC athletes in the last 20 years - Yashin, Bonilla, Pavano,Redden , Drury

XDAWG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAWG View Post
Drury is the worst Captain we've had not named Brian Leetch - he's a useless finger pointer - he meets the press head down, he mumbles and he's brutal in his own zone on the ice.

One of the 5 most overpaid NYC athletes in the last 20 years - Yashin, Bonilla, Pavano,Redden , Drury
I'm sure you forgot this ...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Pruch025

Quote:

Completely disagree.

Drury is a very good player, GREAT leader, and clutch performer. He does every little thing well.

His only knock is that he is being paid like an elite superstar. 2 million less per year and he is perfect.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
yankeecpt15

Quote:

oh dear.....

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

Worst post ever

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
reckoner

it's amazing what two average seasons do to drury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...416/index.html

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Drury is a bad captain because he doesn't give TV interviews that satisfy your demands? Are you under the impression that he's YOUR captain and that he communicates with you through the magic box?

He's got a crap contract, but I could give two ***** whether or not the words he carefully chooses for the cameras satisfy YOU. I care if what he says in the locker room is effective. By EVERY insider's account, he's one of the best leaders in the game. (Whether that's enough to make up for $2-3MM he's overpaid is a different issue.)

And frankly, most knowledgeable and respected sports figures think it's BAD captaining to call out teammates in the press. You know who his bland, understated interview style reminds me of? Don Mattingly. Was he one of the worst captains we've had too?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
eco's bones

I like that Drury is recruiting for us but he's been a major disappointment on the ice and a lousy captain. $7 mil per and so far two 50 + point seasons. Maybe not his fault that Sather gave him so much but there's no way he's worth that much. Most here don't even consider him a 1st line player--before Gomez got dealt--some even thought of him as our 3rd line center. As well people complain we don't score goals and that was one of the primary reasons we signed him.

What he is--is a good player--not an elite player, not a potential HOF'er even though he's getting paid like one. He's a good pk'er, decent defensively otherwise, a decent faceoff man, not a physical player, and not charismatic enough to be a real leader on the ice. With his numbers he should be around $4 mil per year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
ThirdEye

He's overpaid for sure, but 2 million or so is the not the end of the world. It's made worse by the fact that this team, as it was the last two years, was constructed without much thought. 1 player making 2 million more than he should is not terrible, but when you have 3 or 4 making that much more you obviously have a problem as we've seen.

Until something substantial comes out that supports the idea that he's a terrible leader, I'm not buying it. Tortorella likes him a lot, which tells me more than anything I read on here

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I like that Drury is recruiting for us but he's been a major disappointment on the ice and a lousy captain. $7 mil per and so far two 50 + point seasons. Maybe not his fault that Sather gave him so much but there's no way he's worth that much. Most here don't even consider him a 1st line player--before Gomez got dealt--some even thought of him as our 3rd line center. As well people complain we don't score goals and that was one of the primary reasons we signed him.

What he is--is a good player--not an elite player, not a potential HOF'er even though he's getting paid like one. He's a good pk'er, decent defensively otherwise, a decent faceoff man, not a physical player, and not charismatic enough to be a real leader on the ice. With his numbers he should be around $4 mil per year.

He is a 2nd line player getting First line money. So far he has been a disapointment.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He's overpaid for sure, but 2 million or so is the not the end of the world. It's made worse by the fact that this team, as it was the last two years, was constructed without much thought. 1 player making 2 million more than he should is not terrible, but when you have 3 or 4 making that much more you obviously have a problem as we've seen.

Until something substantial comes out that supports the idea that he's a terrible leader, I'm not buying it. Tortorella likes him a lot, which tells me more than anything I read on here
More or less your premise is true enough--if it were one or two guys--not 3 or 4--though with respect I think he's overpaid a little more than $2 mil but considering the nature of the whole UFA free for all it's easy enough to see how teams can get themselves in such messes.

I hope Tortorella does like him a lot but I do expect that Tortorella is going to expect a bit more fire out of him. The forwards he seems to like the most are Callahan and Dubinsky--not that there are a lot of forwards left from last season to like.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Please tell me this a joke/troll post.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

I hope Tortorella does like him a lot but I do expect that Tortorella is going to expect a bit more fire out of him. The forwards he seems to like the most are Callahan and Dubinsky--not that there are a lot of forwards left from last season to like.
Drury isn't fire, but fire isn't always the most important thing. You need ice, too. Guys who don't flinch in big moments, with the game on their stick.

I'm not saying Drury hasn't been a disappointment in the scoring department, that much is obvious. Then again, what were we expecting? He's been doing what he's done for most of his career, save for two exceptional seasons in Buffalo, where he was part of a high-powered offense.

As I've said though, unless you've been in the dressing room, I don't see how you can call him a "lousy captain." There are different kinds of captains. Some lead by example by picking up the team on their back and carrying them, who are powered by their fiery personalities (a la Messier). But others are not that talented. Drury doesn't have the talent to carry a team on his back. All he can do is work his *** off killing penalties and blocking shots, because that's what he does best. What happens in the locker room is just speculation for us, and we have no way of knowing how he interacts with the other players there. Disappointment on the ice? Yes, because of unrealistic expectations Sather gave us for the guy. "Lousy captain?" Don't think that can be said authoritatively by any of us.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:30 PM
FOXHOUND*

To be honest, last year we put a lot of pressure on him to score because as you could see we really had no scorers. I think now with a bonafide scoring threat in Gaborik a lot of pressure will be off of him and his numbers might go up.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I don't know if I can call Drury a disappointment.

What he's shown is about what his career has been.

Now is he overpaid yeah? But I don't know if overpaid necessarily equates to disappointment.

Disappointment would be expected 35 goals and 80 points every season and him performing the way he has.

To me, he's playing up to his career standards. He's just not being paid approriately for them.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Nich

Quote:

One of the 5 most over paid NYC athletes in the last 20 years - Yashin, Bonilla, Pavano,Redden , Drury
Just going to address half of this ridiculous post....

Marbury
Curry
Gomez

Just to name a few more bad contracts above Drury...

The rest doesn't even deserve a response...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
XDAWG*

Chris Drury is a minus Hockey player in NYC - has not cracked 60 points - has had some brutal stretches - has had some disgusting turnovers in his own end, notorious for leaving the zone early as well.... he's a 3rd line checker - he's Mike Sillnger - I'd rather have Richard Park honestly.
-11 as a Ranger and MILLIONS being wasted on him - AND he sat back and watched the team tank on Renney - two 10 goal against performances and where was our Captain? - he was mumbling and denying ...

Gomez shoulda stayed - not this mouthpiece chewing clown.

XDAWG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
"Yeah Scotty getting traded hurts, but it didn't ruin my week."

Being serious though. Drury is a very underrated captain. He helped bring Gilroy AND Gabby to NY.
Is that what he said after we lost just before Christmas??

"This isn't going to ruin my Christmas" or something like that.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:33 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Can someone please tell me why Brian Leetch was a bad captain? I've always been curious as to why people have thought this.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Quote:
Chris Drury is a minus Hockey player in NYC - has not cracked 60 points - has had some brutal stretches - has had some disgusting turnovers in his own end, notorious for leaving the zone early as well.... he's a 3rd line checker - he's Mike Sillnger - I'd rather have Richard Park honestly.
-11 as a Ranger and MILLIONS being wasted on him - AND he sat back and watched the team tank on Renney - two 10 goal against performances and where was our Captain? - he was mumbling and denying ...

Gomez shoulda stayed - not this mouthpiece chewing clown.
2nd worst post ever

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote