HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury on ESPN Radio

Old
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
Drury hasn't shown why he should wear the C.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
To you.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTC View Post
I have a question who was the best defensive forward in the nhl last year?
dru.
Not even close.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
I figure if Drury learns to juggle bowling pins and score at the same time we can all officially put this debate to rest. Who's with me?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Even on our own team Betts was better defensively.

Hey this is NY - lead in the NY way, not by sulking in the corner and saying this wont bother me.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Even on our own team Betts was better defensively.

Hey this is NY - lead in the NY way, not by sulking in the corner and saying this wont bother me.
Oh boy.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Павел Дацюк.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
best forward in the league. period.
Agreed. The guy could put up 115-120 points annually if he sacrificed defense for offense the way a lot of other guys do.

Old
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3589 View Post
The thing with Drury that kills me is this: Everyone says he is such a locker room guy, which he probably is, and Im sure everyone on the team likes him. Now, the point of being a good locker room guy is to have that translate to ON ICE PERFORMANCE. If the team goes 0-82, but all the guys are good friends and have a great locker room, we don't give a ****.

His personal performance has not been good either. Or at least its not what we are expecting from him.

In Buffalo, the younger guys would perform under him, guys like Prucha and Korps are the types of guys that he motivates and gets going...the Sabres are filled with those types of guys, and here those guys get benched then traded cause they are ineffective.

There comes a time when you need to ask what his value is. Is playing with a broken hand courageous, or is it hurting the team at that point? The way he played that game....it hurt the team, and there is no question about that.

He has not performed the way Sather and the Rangers would have liked so far.
What were you expecting from him? His two seasons here have produced numbers exactly in line with his career averages. Were you expecting 35+ goals out of him, like his last season in Buffalo? If so, that's your fault for setting your expectations too high.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Why? Because he doesnt break sticks and yell after every loss?

Its not enough that every single player that has ever played with him only have glowing things to say?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Agreed. The guy could put up 115-120 points annually if he sacrificed defense for offense the way a lot of other guys do.
are you talking about datsyuk?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
it's amazing what two average seasons do to drury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...416/index.html
Nah, it's just an example of the accolades a you can get during a career year. Unfortunately, Drury, like many who have come to NY for the big bucks, have had their best years and success prior to coming here. My personal dislike for Drury is because he's the current example of that over paid, successful somewhere else player that we always keep ending up with. There's nothing more fitting to that then posting a picture of him wearing another team's jersey as we discuss his shortcomings and gross overpayment on a Rangers board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Drury is a bad captain because he doesn't give TV interviews that satisfy your demands?
A good captain would say something that identified with the fans, who are the reason why he has a job and who are disappointed after a disappointing loss, rather than saying something like It's not going to ruin his Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruch025 View Post
Drury is a very good player, GREAT leader, and clutch performer.
Captain Clutch brought the Rangers back from behind in Bern. We waited all season for him to do it when it counted.

Quote:
And during his best years, only shared it in Buffalo.

Lets face it, Drury was picked captain because he was the best candidate, not because he's a good captain. Who knows what happens in the locker room. He certainly wasn't able to assist Renney in righting the ship. He doesn't interact with the media well. And he doesn't lead on the ice, if he did, Torts would have called him a game breaker and not stated how the Rangers needed the game breaker in Gaborik. Heck, Torts doesn't even mention him as being a front runner in the #1 pivot spot, nope Dubinsky even a rookie get mention though. I hope Drooly feels that fire under his *** because Torts just lit it and rightfully so.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=664063

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
ecemleafs

i can see drury scored 30 goals and 60 points this year. with an actual superstar on the team drury will be able to play his game that he did in buffalo.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What were you expecting from him? His two seasons here have produced numbers exactly in line with his career averages. Were you expecting 35+ goals out of him, like his last season in Buffalo? If so, that's your fault for setting your expectations too high.
A goal at a key time of the game would be nice. Do you think we paid 7 million dollars for a 20-25 goal player? Or maybe some consistency and not 10 goals one week and 0 for 2 months. Still, this isn't the biggest problem.

The total sum of everything he has done has been disappointing. That's all there is to it

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i can see drury scored 30 goals and 60 points this year. with an actual superstar on the team drury will be able to play his game that he did in buffalo.
And if he doesn't? What then?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
And if he doesn't? What then?
Then he'll score 25 goals and 50+ points, which he's done like clockwork his entire career besides 2 inflated seasons in Buffalo.

And even if he doesnt score 30 goals, Ill be content with having him as our captain because, even though hes wildly overpaid, that doesnt inflate my expectations of him. Hes been a good soldier for us. Enough with expecting him to explode into a 40 goal guy just cause he signed an ill conceived piece of paper.

Old
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Then he'll score 25 goals and 50+ points, which he's done like clockwork his entire career besides 2 inflated seasons in Buffalo.

And even if he doesnt score 30 goals, Ill be content with having him as our captain because, even though hes wildly overpaid, that doesnt inflate my expectations of him. Hes been a good soldier for us. Enough with expecting him to explode into a 40 goal guy just cause he signed an ill conceived piece of paper.
See this is what I don't get. What does being a good soldier do for us exactly? It hasn't done much. Nobody expects him to score 40 goals, but the intangibles (clutch, younger player development etc...) that he provided in Buffalo are simply not there.

Him playing with a broken hand absolutely hurt the Rangers in the playoffs, he had 1 point, yet everyone now throws Zherdev under the bus for his bad playoff series (deservedly so), when Drury didnt do much better and probably hurt the team by playing. Yet he gets the "good soldier" and "good locker room guy" tag.

I don't expect huge point totals, but he can't hurt the team like he did in the playoffs.

Another interesting fact: Nobody seems to mind that we can't even mention Drury as a center for Gaborik. Our captain who is this supposed great leader, does everything for the team, good soldier etc.. would undoubtedly hold back the best offensive player on the team This bothers me.

Old
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
See this is what I don't get. What does being a good soldier do for us exactly? It hasn't done much. Nobody expects him to score 40 goals, but the intangibles (clutch, younger player development etc...) that he provided in Buffalo are simply not there.

Him playing with a broken hand absolutely hurt the Rangers in the playoffs, he had 1 point, yet everyone now throws Zherdev under the bus for his bad playoff series (deservedly so), when Drury didnt do much better and probably hurt the team by playing. Yet he gets the "good soldier" and "good locker room guy" tag.

I don't expect huge point totals, but he can't hurt the team like he did in the playoffs.

Another interesting fact: Nobody seems to mind that we can't even mention Drury as a center for Gaborik. Our captain who is this supposed great leader, does everything for the team, good soldier etc.. would undoubtedly hold back the best offensive player on the team This bothers me.
How the heck do you determine that hes not helping develop younger players? The youngsters look to be developing just fine to me in accordance to their talent.

As for hurting the Rangers in the playoffs, what a joke. He scored the game winning goal in game 4 with a broken ****ing hand. You probably would have *****ed more had he sat out the entire series talking about how "our captain should have been out there instead of in the pressbox."

Who would you rather be the captain of this team?

Old
07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Just going to address half of this ridiculous post....

Marbury
Curry
Gomez

Just to name a few more bad contracts above Drury...

The rest doesn't even deserve a response...
Kai Igawa... that yanks are paying him 40million dollars..... 40 million.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
How the heck do you determine that hes not helping develop younger players? The youngsters look to be developing just fine to me in accordance to their talent.

As for hurting the Rangers in the playoffs, what a joke. He scored the game winning goal in game 4 with a broken ****ing hand. You probably would have *****ed more had he sat out the entire series talking about how "our captain should have been out there instead of in the pressbox."

Who would you rather be the captain of this team?
It is a bit funny that we didn't seem to have a problem winning when he was in the press box in Game 1, but people forget that. Scoring 1 goal and trying to take faceoffs with a broken hand hurt the team....sorry that you seem to be upset by this, but it's a fact.

Also, the Prucha's, Dawes, and Korpikoski's that the Rangers were so high on managed to all find their way out of town, whereas the younger Buffalo players who played under Drury (Campbell, Vanek, Roy, Pomminville) seem to have matured quite nicely. Call it coincidence or whatever, but Drury was instrumental for those guys, and they are all quality NHL players now.

Personally, Mara would have been a better captain, and I look forward to the day where Dubi and Cally take it from him.

If you can honestly say that this is what you had hoped for out of Chris Drury when we signed him, I really don't know what to tell you.

Old
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
It is a bit funny that we didn't seem to have a problem winning when he was in the press box in Game 1, but people forget that.
In game one the Caps had a goaltender in net who's talent is equivalent to a 12 year old girl. That's why we won.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
In game one the Caps had a goaltender in net who's talent is equivalent to a 12 year old girl. That's why we won.
Ha, though he didn't play his best game, I certainly don't think throwing a guy with a broken hand out there was going to help the Rangers chances of winning that game.

I wonder how much better the hand got between games 1 and 2 that allowed him to think he was able to play.

I admire the courage, but it wasn't the best thing for the team.

Old
07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
are you talking about datsyuk?
Yes sir. He's probably one of my favorite non-Ranger players.

Old
07-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Levitate

That's pretty much the coaches call, not Drury's.

It also wouldn't surprise me that if he sat out, people would have criticized him for not playing through the injury and "leading" by example.

Also, captains don't have to be the best players on a team

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
It is a bit funny that we didn't seem to have a problem winning when he was in the press box in Game 1, but people forget that. Scoring 1 goal and trying to take faceoffs with a broken hand hurt the team....sorry that you seem to be upset by this, but it's a fact.
I'd take Drury at 25% over Orr or Voros healthy in a playoff game, without a doubt.

Drury was awful in game 5, and so was the entire team. The rest of the series he was fine.

Quote:
Also, the Prucha's, Dawes, and Korpikoski's that the Rangers were so high on managed to all find their way out of town, whereas the younger Buffalo players who played under Drury (Campbell, Vanek, Roy, Pomminville) seem to have matured quite nicely. Call it coincidence or whatever, but Drury was instrumental for those guys, and they are all quality NHL players now.
Vanek was a better prospect than any Ranger prospect in the past decade, there is no correlation.
Quote:
Personally, Mara would have been a better captain, and I look forward to the day where Dubi and Cally take it from him.
Hard to really come to a conclusion like this when you aren't with the team day in and out.
Quote:
If you can honestly say that this is what you had hoped for out of Chris Drury when we signed him, I really don't know what to tell you.
If you honestly expected him to score 30 goals and have 70+ points, I don't know what to tell you either.

Look at his career averages, everything falls right in line. He's been a fine defensive player, adequate on the PP, and above average in the circle, just like the rest of his career. There is no such thing as "clutch," so anyone who expected him to score 5 GWG's or something wasn't thinking right in the first place.

Just because a guy makes superstar money doesn't make him a superstar. Blame Sather, not Drury.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Svenhart2008

It is amazing to me how one dimensional some of you are. We are discussing Drury's ability as a captain right? The on-ice portion is only a part of it. Drury has the respect from everybody and represents the rangers and has helped bring new talent to New York as well as helped the younger players find their way.

The Overpayment part is mute and redundant. Talk about beating a dead horse, the contract is bad... move on. This is Drury's team now and his alone and i am fine with that.

I can't wrap my head around people always trying to spew negativity. Is it for the sake of getting people fired up or just being a clown, i have no idea.

Edit: @pete3580: Comparing the group of Sabres talents which you mentioned to the likes of Prucha and Dawes is a joke. They are not even in the same class. Our top prospects are Rangers and will be for a long time to come.

Svenhart2008 is offline   Reply With Quote