HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Talks about arbitration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
  #1
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
Zherdev Talks about arbitration

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...on-date-looms/

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
  #2
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,531
vCash: 500
Zherdev is done in NY and he seems to know it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
  #3
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
He and his agent wants $$$ and the Rangers don't think he's worth what they're asking for.

Since we don't know any numbers, we can only speculate. But I guess Zherdev is asking for a salary in a range of $4-4.5m, perhaps even $5m.

I don't think any NYR fan that has seen Zherdev play during the course of a season + playoffs think he's worth that much more than his previous salary.

I say pay $3.5-$3.75m for Z and get it over with. This is also probably what the arbitration will say.

(R)angers: Around $3.5m
(Z)herdev: Around $4.5m
Arbitration = (R+Z) / 2 = $4m, making it a tough case if we should re-sign him or not. Since Zherdev is probably going to leave NYR after the arbitration (he's not the kind of player who can mentally endure listening to what a floater he is), either with no contract or after a 1y contract has expired, I say let him go. If we can sign him for $4m before arbitration, sign him for another chance to prove himself.

It doesn't help our "core" with "players who are supposed to carry the team" are ridiculously overpaid. No, it does certainly not. Z sees guys like Drury and Redden and asks himself: "Hey, I'm a better player than they are, why can't I be ridiculously overpaid as well?" This is the club culture $ather has created.


Last edited by Chimp: 07-14-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
  #4
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
I really don't want to lose Zherdev (and not just because I have a Zherdev jersey) but because i think playing under Torts with the "new team" may do tremendous things for Zherdev.

However if the management decides that letting Zherdev leave is the best route, then so be it.

From the interview, it seems to me that Zherdev is definitely interested with playing in the NHL, and possibly the rangers. However, i'll let the arbritration decide how that works out.

Best of luck to you Zherdev, regardless if we see you in a blueshirt or not next year.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:34 PM
  #5
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,801
vCash: 500
I'm not totally sure he understands the RFA process when he says

Quote:
- I would still like to play in the NHL, but I also havenít ruled out the option of moving to the KHL. Itís possible that Iíll remain in the Russian league for one year, then become a free agent and have the opportunity to negotiate with any NHL team.
No, Nik, that only happens if the Rangers walk away from the arbitration ruling, not if YOU walk away from the arbitration ruling to go play in Russia. If YOU do that, then your rights will still be held by the Rangers, and you'll still be bound by that arbitration ruling if you decide to come back to the NHL.

To be fair, however, I understand why he's surprised that the Rangers don't seem interested in keeping him. He did have a good year by his standards, despite the slump he admitted, so to be basically shown the door without negotiation probably seems weird

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
  #6
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

To be fair, however, I understand why he's surprised that the Rangers don't seem interested in keeping him. He did have a good year by his standards, despite the slump he admitted, so to be basically shown the door without negotiation probably seems weird
I don't think he was shown a door. It's just a game. Sather wants to keep him, but he needs to curb his appetite. There is plenty of time to negotiate and sign him before hearings.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
  #7
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not totally sure he understands the RFA process when he says



No, Nik, that only happens if the Rangers walk away from the arbitration ruling, not if YOU walk away from the arbitration ruling to go play in Russia. If YOU do that, then your rights will still be held by the Rangers, and you'll still be bound by that arbitration ruling if you decide to come back to the NHL.

To be fair, however, I understand why he's surprised that the Rangers don't seem interested in keeping him. He did have a good year by his standards, despite the slump he admitted, so to be basically shown the door without negotiation probably seems weird
Yeah. Reading between the lines, it appears that this is what happened: the Rangers made the QO, Zherdev filed for arbitration (as is his right and as is good negotiating procedure) just like Cally, and got ready to negotiate a deal - again, just like Cally. The Rangers response was then to immediately go nuclear.

Just like Zherdev, I'm pretty surprised.

And pissed - even if you've determined you don't want him on next year's roster, wouldn't you play this more subtly so that you could trade him? With more and more info that comes out, it looks like they're telling the world that they're going to let him walk after arbitration. And hence are preparing to lose him for nothing.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
  #8
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not totally sure he understands the RFA process when he says



No, Nik, that only happens if the Rangers walk away from the arbitration ruling, not if YOU walk away from the arbitration ruling to go play in Russia. If YOU do that, then your rights will still be held by the Rangers, and you'll still be bound by that arbitration ruling if you decide to come back to the NHL.

To be fair, however, I understand why he's surprised that the Rangers don't seem interested in keeping him. He did have a good year by his standards, despite the slump he admitted, so to be basically shown the door without negotiation probably seems weird
I agree that he makes a point and that was my initial reaction as well when reading this, but that point is VERY short sited. Zero points and HORRENDOUS play in the playoffs has to be used as evidence here. When the team needed him most is when he faltered. Its not like he hit a "slump" in the middle of the season there. Fighting for a spot in the top eight and fighting through a seven game series with many of his talented countrymen should seem to be motivation enough to step up, especially when he knows very well he is also fighting for every dollar as a RFA.

If I were Slats I would take a big, fat cow heart to the table, throw it at Z-Man and say, "Get one of these and then we might be able to talk," and walk out of the room. The guy is very talented and we need players like him in Torts' system, but there's no way I am bringing him back here if I am Slats. I would rather miss the playoffs and have a chance at pairing Taylor Hall with Gabby and Callahan on the top line.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
  #9
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah. Reading between the lines, it appears that this is what happened: the Rangers made the QO, Zherdev filed for arbitration (as is his right and as is good negotiating procedure) just like Cally, and got ready to negotiate a deal - again, just like Cally. The Rangers response was then to immediately go nuclear.

Just like Zherdev, I'm pretty surprised.

And pissed - even if you've determined you don't want him on next year's roster, wouldn't you play this more subtly so that you could trade him? With more and more info that comes out, it looks like they're telling the world that they're going to let him walk after arbitration. And hence are preparing to lose him for nothing.
If a team wants him they will bid for him, he will get dealt instead of going on the market

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
  #10
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Zherdev is a piece of ****. Also, he clearly has no idea how arbitration and restricted free agency works.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:10 PM
  #11
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Zherdev is done in NY and he seems to know it.
Seems like it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Zherdev
it would be nice to play on one of the teams in the division that the Rangers play in.
So much for a desire to stay to NY.


I'm going to assume that something is being lost in translation here, because at this point, it seems impossible that Zherdev think's he's in control of his contract ruling or potential free agency.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
  #12
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,801
vCash: 500
They asked him where else he wanted to play, and he said that and the reason being because the travel is so easy. Not because he liked the other teams or because he wanted to stick it to the Rangers

But yes, he seems a little unsure of how this whole process works out. Even if he bolts to Russia after the arbitration decision, as we've seen with Hudler, it may not work out for him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
  #13
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
So much for a desire to stay to NY.
To be fair, he said that because he prefers the lesser travel in the Atlantic division.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
  #14
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Zherdev
To begin with, it must be a team that has a need for me. Thatís why Iíll answer your question this way: it would be nice to play on one of the teams in the division that the Rangers play in.
The dude wants to play for the Pengiuns. He'd look pretty ridiculous flanking Malkin eh? I think I'm officially over any inclination I had to get Zherdev back here next year. Adios, bud. I just pray Sather gets something of value in return for him.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
  #15
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They asked him where else he wanted to play, and he said that and the reason being because the travel is so easy. Not because he liked the other teams or because he wanted to stick it to the Rangers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
To be fair, he said that because he prefers the lesser travel in the Atlantic division.
Come on guys. Would you say something like that to the press about a team you were supposedly holding out hope for contract negotiations with?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  #16
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Zherdev was about a 4 million dollar player in the first half, and about a 2 million dollar player in the second half including the playoffs.

He's not worth more than 3 million. Of course he wants to play for the Penguins. He can put up 80 points on that team by just being on the ice at the same time as Crosby or Malkin

Although I can't see Sather trading him within the division. Too risky

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
  #17
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,254
vCash: 500
his agent is playing hardball with slats. not sure thats such a good idea since we signed kotalik and aquired lisin. perhaps those moves were to force zherdev back to the team for 1 year. who knows, either way, nikolai isnt getting 4.5 mil per from slats and he may well be looking for a job elsewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

Quote:
The qualifying offer to Zherdev was for $3.25 million (which happens to be $250,000 more than what Kotalik will earn), which his camp believes is less than what it can get in arbitration. The question is, would the Rangers honor the arbitration award, or walk away and cut their ties with the player? And if they do cut him loose, would the 24-year-old Ukraine native Zherdev land in the KHL, as many around hockey assume?

"To be fair, we haven't played the Russian card," Hedges said. "We can play in Russia tomorrow if we want to. We can make more money in Russia, no question; it's nontaxable. But Nikolai Zherdev wants to play in the NHL. The only way he'll go to Russia is if he's not wanted in the NHL at fair market value. We just want to see what New York is prepared to pay on a fair-market-value basis.

"If we're successful in arbitration and they want to walk away, then we'll see what the fair market value will bring on the open market [in the NHL]. And if it doesn't bring it, he can play in Russia. But it's not his first option."
it appears to me that the agent and nik are under the impression that they cant lose. first choice nyr but at their price. second, let nyr walkaway from any arb award and play for another nhl team willing to pay the money. last, flee to russia and make more money tax free and then come back here eventually looking for a job.


Last edited by Trxjw: 07-14-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Please don't copy and paste from articles without surrounding with quote tags
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
  #18
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Zherdev was about a 4 million dollar player in the first half, and about a 2 million dollar player in the second half including the playoffs.

He's not worth more than 3 million.
Once 4 million is forever 4 million. No one is paid for results. Everyone is payed for potential. It may not be right, but that how job market works hockey or not.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
  #19
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
"To be fair, we haven't played the Russian card," Hedges said. "We can play in Russia tomorrow if we want to. We can make more money in Russia, no question; it's nontaxable. But Nikolai Zherdev wants to play in the NHL. The only way he'll go to Russia is if he's not wanted in the NHL at fair market value. We just want to see what New York is prepared to pay on a fair-market-value basis.
To be fair, it sounds to me like they are playing the Russian card in the same sentence as they say they have yet to play the Russian card. This whole KHL mess sure has made contract negotiations MUCH stickier.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
  #20
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Zherdev for Babchuk+ Get er done Slats! Babchuk only wants 2 mil.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
  #21
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm going to assume that something is being lost in translation here, because at this point, it seems impossible that Zherdev think's he's in control of his contract ruling or potential free agency.
I stand by the translation. It appears that he really doesn't know how the process works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Come on guys. Would you say something like that to the press about a team you were supposedly holding out hope for contract negotiations with?
Why should he hold out hope for negotiations, when Sather's shown no desire to talk in the two months since the season ended and keeps bringing in replacements for him? The press has basically been saying his time in NY was done since the season ended.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
  #22
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
To be fair, it sounds to me like they are playing the Russian card in the same sentence as they say they have yet to play the Russian card. This whole KHL mess sure has made contract negotiations MUCH stickier.
Well, players already play American card. Canadian taxes are by far higher, so same contract in US pays more.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
  #23
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I stand by the translation. It appears that he really doesn't know how the process works.
Sorry squishy. I didn't know you literally did the translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Why should he hold out hope for negotiations, when Sather's shown no desire to talk in the two months since the season ended and keeps bringing in replacements for him? The press has basically been saying his time in NY was done since the season ended.
Because he says "If the Rangers agree to my terms — I’ll sign the contract". If he actually wants that to happen, or thinks it will, then how does it help his case to name teams he'd rather play for?

No matter how you slice it, Sather holds the cards, so I don't see how Zherdev benefits in any way from this kind of public discourse. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:58 PM
  #24
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Why should he hold out hope for negotiations, when Sather's shown no desire to talk in the two months since the season ended and keeps bringing in replacements for him? The press has basically been saying his time in NY was done since the season ended.
EXACTLY. He didn't say this in April. He said this after a couple of months of silence and the Rangers acquiring two potential replacements.

And again, everyone calling him a POS, please bear in mind that Zherdev and his agent have pursued a path no different than the one that Callahan pursued. The only difference between the two is on the Rangers' side: Slats negotiated with Callahan's camp while stonewalling Zherdev's and stockpiling replacements for him. How would you feel?

Also, regarding the "play for a team in the Rangers' division" comment, I think everyone is misinterpreting. I think that Zherdev's comment was intended to be interpreted along the following lines:

Q: What team would you like to play for next year?
A: Well, I'll put it to you this way - I want to play in the Atlantic division next year.

In other words, my impression was that he was leaving the Rangers as an option, but if they continue down the road they're going, he'd like to stay local.

Look, I am obviously a Zherdev fan and I think the team is a lot better with him than Kotalik. But I don't understand the way so many posters are going out of their way to present him as an ******* in this situation, while Slats, who everyone is predisposed to assume the worst of in every other situation, is held as a saint. Furthermore, as I said all along, it's fine if you don't want him on the team - but why are so many folks content to simply let him walk from arbitration? Effing get something for him, if you're going to let him go!


Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-14-2009 at 03:04 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
  #25
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
No matter how you slice it, Sather holds the cards, so I don't see how Zherdev benefits in any way from this kind of public discourse. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
I don't think foreign players always realize that things they tell reporters from their own country often will get translated and people in North America will hear about it. They often seem like they're more candid in these interviews and say things you figure they probably wouldn't if they realized everyone was going to read it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.