HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really need Laraque ???

Old
07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHISLING View Post
Ahem. Lucic isnt an "enforcer". He is a power forward. Just pointing that out there.
... who picks and chooses his fights.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

Send a message via AIM to Ace0813
He wanted to go with Laraque man. He did.
Julien didn't want him to, its not worth it, Laraque isn't of the same skill caliber that Lucic is. It is as simple as that. Not saying I agree with it, but Lucic doesn't fight little guys only. He fights who wants to be fought, and that was an exception. Get over it.

Ace0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

meh...

Even the B's old whipping boy Komisarek was made of stronger stuff than Lucic, as it least he'd stick up form himself vs. someone who challenged him (loose or not).

Fulien is a veteran and knows he can take the pressure off the kid by doing that. It makes it seem as though Lucic isn't that yellow to his peers... but in truth it's just a vet move by Fulien and Lucic is scared.

He'll probably go with Laraque this year... but he'll do what he alwasy does and try and jump the guy he's fighting. I don't recall Lucic squaring off with anyone to give them a fair fight... B's fans complained about Walker's anitcs on Ward but Lucic will do that in nearly every bout he accepts. He's a dirty player.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
meh...

Even the B's old whipping boy Komisarek was made of stronger stuff than Lucic, as it least he'd stick up form himself vs. someone who challenged him (loose or not).

Fulien is a veteran and knows he can take the pressure off the kid by doing that. It makes it seem as though Lucic isn't that yellow to his peers... but in truth it's just a vet move by Fulien and Lucic is scared.

He'll probably go with Laraque this year... but he'll do what he alwasy does and try and jump the guy he's fighting. I don't recall Lucic squaring off with anyone to give them a fair fight... B's fans complained about Walker's anitcs on Ward but Lucic will do that in nearly every bout he accepts. He's a dirty player.
I thought we'd gotten over this. Lucic is a monster- one we'd all love to have on the Habs. He is not scared to fight anyone. He's proved himself to be a good player that can fight with the best of them. Why on God's green earth should he fight BGL? 2 years ago no one wanted Komi to fight Lucic because Lucic wasn't as valuable as Komi. Bruins fans were livid and we laughed at them for it. Habs fans that call out Lucic for not fighting BGL are fast becoming a joke.

Having said that, I expect Lucic will pick a spot and will fight BGL. He will probably lose but will earn tons more respect for doing it. Question is, who will step up and get pummelled by Thornton and Chara when BGL is in the box??

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Julien didn't want him to, its not worth it, Laraque isn't of the same skill caliber that Lucic is. It is as simple as that. Not saying I agree with it, but Lucic doesn't fight little guys only. He fights who wants to be fought, and that was an exception. Get over it.
Complete BS! He was scared out of his shorts! Keep believing that though, if it helps you sleep at night.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I thought we'd gotten over this. Lucic is a monster- one we'd all love to have on the Habs.
Well, let's not pretend Lucic is some sort of scoring star here. He is a 17-goal, 42-point man while spending most of his icetime on a line with Marc Savard.

He'd look good on the third line but the guy is so ridiculously overhyped it's gone beyond funny and entered the realm of mind-boggling. He's more famous for his goonery than his actual hockey skills. (Which I guess is why Boston likes him so much. )

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I just can`t believe that we signed Laraque and what has he done for us ? Because of his injuries, absolutely nothing......and he will do nothing for us agian this year because he has a disc problem....I just think he`s a waste of cap space.What do others think ?
I hope we keep him...

I just bought a Laraque T-shirt.

My Théodore T-shirt is long out of date, my Higgins T-shirt is now a 'collector's item' (kind of...) and now my Laraque T-shirt? I was hoping it'd be good for two more years.

Not a good reason, I know but golly-gee shucks, guys....

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
I thought we'd gotten over this. Lucic is a monster- one we'd all love to have on the Habs.
agreed... I can't think of a more effective forechecker that we face...

He wins battles and gets the puck to the front of the net with the best of them. I think he's getting better all the time too. I readily acknowledge that.

Quote:
He is not scared to fight anyone. Why on God's green earth should he fight BGL? 2 years ago no one wanted Komi to fight Lucic
I think that he's stepped over the line too many times and has to face the Habs toughest guy now... or he can keep turning him down and his detractors (like me) will continue to question his character.

No double standards, though... you're right there. Komisarek should have fought Lucic, did fight Lucic but in the meantime he was subject to similar questions...

the shoes just on the other foot now.

Quote:
Having said that, I expect Lucic will pick a spot and will fight BGL. He will probably lose but will earn tons more respect for doing it. Question is, who will step up and get pummelled by Thornton and Chara when BGL is in the box??
This is a good question... and also a likely occurrence. Last year in the pre-season Thornton went right after Begin, Begin accepted, lost the bout but showed up. Next shift Henry (or Flinn) grabs some Bruin and proceeds to beat on the guy.

In the end, it's a 2-way street and that would be fine... we could cross that bridge when we came to it... which we probably will.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Forsead

This is funny how many people say that BGL doesnt fight when he still have 9 fights the last season in only 33 match played so in a season where he would have played 82 matchs this would be equal to 22 fights.

Wow he never fight.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Nothing against Laraque, but heavyweight enforcers are useless these days.
Unless they want to trully intimidate. And Laraque is not interested in doing that. He always defend, but never start things, be the agressor.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 01:44 AM
JrHockeyFan

The enforcer has become an anachronism. Their time has passed. It is the rules

Every now and then you get satisfaction, but more times than not they can't help you.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
..........no

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:41 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I certainly hope so. That is Laraque's job. You intimidate, he does the same.

Once BGL in the box, there are still Mara, Moen, Gill, O'Byrne, Stewart.

So now you have Lucic, Chara and Thornton in the box.
We have BGL plus two more players (pick between Mara, Moen, O'Byrne, Stewart, Gill) on the bench.

What is the conclusion?
Time to bring Wheeler to the bench?

Also, sometimes you loose a fight and you win the game.
Remember Talbot during the playoffs?
It's probably safe to say that any of the guys you mentioned would be risking a severe beating. As a teammate does BGL want to be responsible for that?
Your conclusion is also based on O'Byrne and Gill being fighters... They're not. The Bruins have Stuart, Ference, Begin and Bitz that can go in the event they choose to fight.
As much as I'd love to see BGL beat the tar out of Lucic, against Boston he's there to manage Chara and Thornton from doing what they did in the last regular season game.

IMO Chara is the guy I want to see BGL go with. He has the most to lose by fighting BGL. Takes him off the ice for 5 minutes and if Georges wins, it takes some of the intimidation out of Chara's game. No more bully.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:15 AM
hotcarle

Quote:
I remember this argument. Bruins fans then argued that Lucic doesn't go with Laraque because Lucic plays 14 minutes a game to Laraque's 7. He then goes with Komisarek, who plays 28 minutes a game. Strange?
Who cares about Komisarek now anyway? But I'm just saying...

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
We need to dump Laraque and if the Rangers are interesting in dealing, let's go for Brashear. Skates for a guy his size, responsible, defend his teamates and is able to go wacko if needed. And is not injured.

Time to bring Brash back. 'Cause the answer is absolutely YES. We need a heavyweight during the regular season the way the teams around us are build. Stewart is not a heavyweight, at best he'd do fine against Avery and Ott. Moen could take heavier. But neither are feared.

The day that Moen goes after Komisarek and that Orr comes to Komisafake's defense, I would prefer to have Brash there....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:01 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We need to dump Laraque and if the Rangers are interesting in dealing, let's go for Brashear. Skates for a guy his size, responsible, defend his teamates and is able to go wacko if needed. And is not injured.

Time to bring Brash back. 'Cause the answer is absolutely YES. We need a heavyweight during the regular season the way the teams around us are build. Stewart is not a heavyweight, at best he'd do fine against Avery and Ott. Moen could take heavier. But neither are feared.

The day that Moen goes after Komisarek and that Orr comes to Komisafake's defense, I would prefer to have Brash there....
Why would Moen go after Komisarek?

Komi is a clean player who doesn't fight... now that you hate the guy, you wish that our goons go after him?

That's great, let's become the new Bruins losers...

I don't want Laraque, Moen, Mara, Gill, Stewart and cie to be the agressors, this isn't boxing or UFC, it's hockey... I'm so sicked and tired about this obsession with fighting.

I can't wait for the day that fights will be illegal (and it will come, don't worry)... for now, I want guys that will PREVENT (meaning going against agressors) goons from other teams attacking our skilled players... I don't want our team to be sore losers and fighting instead of hitting where it really hurts... the scoresheet.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I don't want Laraque, Moen, Mara, Gill, Stewart and cie to be the agressors, this isn't boxing or UFC, it's hockey... I'm so sicked and tired about this obsession with fighting.

I can't wait for the day that fights will be illegal (and it will come, don't worry)... for now, I want guys that will PREVENT (meaning going against agressors) goons from other teams attacking our skilled players... I don't want our team to be sore losers and fighting instead of hitting where it really hurts... the scoresheet.
Ice Capades and figure skating might be your sport...

Old
07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Ice Capades and figure skating might be your sport...
Waiting for that idiotic comment... congratulations... it really, but really doesn't get old... very original from your part.

Hockey is an extremely physical sport within its rules, you don't need illegal stuff like fighting (since you always get a penality for fighting, it's in a way already illegal).

Somehow, there will still be people who will say that hockey without fights is figure skating, even as absurd this comment can be...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Waiting for that idiotic comment... congratulations... it really, but really doesn't get old... very original from your part.

Hockey is an extremely physical sport within its rules, you don't need illegal stuff like fighting (since you always get a penality for fighting, it's in a way already illegal).

Somehow, there will still be people who will say that hockey without fights is figure skating, even as absurd this comment can be...
Well, no one is going to listen to you and what you have to say, since you said Komisarek is a clean player...

He's thrown elbows at players and "low bridged" players. I say it wasn't a low bridge, but whatever. To say Komisarek is a clean player is proof of being a huge homer. He's a good defenseman, plays tough and would love for him to be back, but he sure as hell isn't clean.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

Isn't ironic that I felt exactly the same about the original comment I quoted?

NHL hockey includes fighting, whether YOU like it or not. I'm tired of Bettman and the NHL trying to cater to fair weather fans who don't understand all aspect of the game by bringing in gimmicks like the shootout and other stupid rules, only to see those "fans" stop watching when their team isn't doing as well.

**** that! If you want to watch ballerina hockey, watch European hockey. The NHL has fighting as an important aspect of its game, period.

Old
07-18-2009, 01:47 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Well, no one is going to listen to you and what you have to say, since you said Komisarek is a clean player...

He's thrown elbows at players and "low bridged" players. I say it wasn't a low bridge, but whatever. To say Komisarek is a clean player is proof of being a huge homer. He's a good defenseman, plays tough and would love for him to be back, but he sure as hell isn't clean.
I can say without any doubt Komisarek never once hit any Habs player illegally. He's been as clean as they come.

Old
07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Fighting is a part of hockey, and it will always be.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:10 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
No the Habs do not need the slowest and most useless player in the league. Especially at $1.5 million a year.

"Pardon me sir, you seem to have hurt my teammate, care to quarrel?"

****ing pathetic excuse for an enforcer.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Why would Moen go after Komisarek?

Komi is a clean player who doesn't fight... now that you hate the guy, you wish that our goons go after him?

That's great, let's become the new Bruins losers...

Anybody home? Going after him can mean check him hard, provoke him, try to start something with him (while obviously he won't), which then means Orr comes and he tries to fight Moen and so on...By the way, good job talking about something you don't know. While everybody here keep defending him, saying how great he was, that he could kick Lucic ass but won't 'cause he's sooooo valuable, I was saying that he doesn't fight 'cause he sucks as it. That he is a big talker but is actually one of the biggest fake as far as "I'll kick your ass.....tomorrow" guy in the NHL. Liked him as a person, liked him as a guy who's blocking shots, hated him in the role of fake tough guy.

By the way, fights are illegal in tons of leagues.....and it still doesn't prevent it for happening.

And who says that we are focusing on fighting? Isn't it a topic on Laraque? Or are we turning every hockey topic into something like "Anyway, who cares if Cammalleri is good, does he fight?" type of posts?

By the way, a clean player who keeps slashing, crosschecking and talking has to drop them as well. That's how it is in today's league. You hate and prefer seeing more cheapshots 'cause fighting would be banned, so be it.

And you don't want our players to be the aggressors 'cause it's hockey and not UFC? Well THIS hockey still permit fighting. And if being the aggressor means changing the pace of a game, I say why not.

Until it is removed, you need to play within the rules. And the rules still permit it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:59 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
No the Habs do not need the slowest and most useless player in the league. Especially at $1.5 million a year.

"Pardon me sir, you seem to have hurt my teammate, care to quarrel?"

****ing pathetic excuse for an enforcer.
I am frustrated with BGL also, but this seems a little harsh...no?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote