HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Brian Fahey for Nigel Williams

Old
07-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Very good chance? C'on, that is WAY to soon to even speculate. He had a solid (not great by any means) first pro seasons and he's made some decent strides in that time. You said it yourself also, he's a project.
and like most projects, I'd say there's a very good chance he doesn't play in the NHL. nothing wrong with that, especially considering what was traded to get Williams.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Give Sather credit. He and his staff they are always looking for players -- Soryal, Chappel, Williams, Girardi, Gilroy -- and many others. Having the ability to spend money, even on prospects and suspects is a big advantage.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
and like most projects, I'd say there's a very good chance he doesn't play in the NHL. nothing wrong with that, especially considering what was traded to get Williams.
Exactly. You make this trade every time...and if you have the opportunity to make it enough times eventually you get a steal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
dedalus

Meh. Many of these same words were written when Sather acquired Bourret for Dupuis and a 3rd. ("What steal!" "What was Atlanta THINKING???")

History seems to have shown that Atlanta knew their man better than Sather. (The upside is that we at least recouped the 3rd rounder.) I'll withhold judgment on Sather's genius, but there's certainly nothing wrong with dealing an aging AHLer for a prospect, even a marginal one.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Meh. Many of these same words were written when Sather acquired Bourret for Dupuis and a 3rd. ("What steal!" "What was Atlanta THINKING???")

History seems to have shown that Atlanta knew their man better than Sather. (The upside is that we at least recouped the 3rd rounder.) I'll withhold judgment on Sather's genius, but there's certainly nothing wrong with dealing an aging AHLer for a prospect, even a marginal one.
This player could easily and is likely to be another David Liffiton, a depth defenseman in the AHL, a former 2nd round pick, traded to the Rangers from the Avs.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This player could easily and is likely to be another David Liffiton, a depth defenseman in the AHL, a former 2nd round pick, traded to the Rangers from the Avs.
True, but isn't that pretty much what we gave up to acquire him?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Oh, c'mon, are you really trying to tell me that we got "robbed" of Pascal Dupuis? Please.

I will take the chance on giving up the certain bottom of the roster mediocrity of Dupuis for the possible top of the roster brilliance of Bourret - or in this case, Williams - every freaking time. It's not even a question.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:58 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Which would be an upgrade over fahey. Any way you slice it this is a good deal.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Very good chance? C'on, that is WAY to soon to even speculate. He had a solid (not great by any means) first pro seasons and he's made some decent strides in that time. You said it yourself also, he's a project.

How Sather got him for a nobody is beyond me. You never give up on a prospect that early, especially a project.

Hell if he turns into a good defensive damn (4/5 in the NHL) that alone is huge for us, gave up nobody and now we have a decent trading chip on the table. His potential is even higher, but that is a long shot, but it is there...
Not really, that's always been the case with Williams, even before he was drafted. He's a very raw talent who has a very high "bust" rate, but the potential to have a big nasty defenseman is appealing.

Simply put, this kid is RAW. He's come a long way very fast, but he also has a long way to go as well. This is a kid who you leave in the minor for several years and let him cook. And even than, I'd say he hs a very high probability of failure.

But again, when you're talking about giving Fahey for him, it's a can't lose situation. Even if he busts, he's worth at least taking a chance on.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Which would be an upgrade over fahey. Any way you slice it this is a good deal.

I never said it was a bad deal.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Edge

Quote:
Very true.

Having said that, for Brian Fahey, I can't complain.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:12 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Not really, that's always been the case with Williams, even before he was drafted. He's a very raw talent who has a very high "bust" rate, but the potential to have a big nasty defenseman is appealing.

Simply put, this kid is RAW. He's come a long way very fast, but he also has a long way to go as well. This is a kid who you leave in the minor for several years and let him cook. And even than, I'd say he hs a very high probability of failure.

But again, when you're talking about giving Fahey for him, it's a can't lose situation. Even if he busts, he's worth at least taking a chance on.
Exactly, the fact he's come a long way very fast...is the reason im so excited for this. Hes a project all right, but he's making all the steps that IMO look like he will reach his goal...or I hope anyway.

Trust me, on draft day in 06...I thought he was the most overrated dman(the fact he was projected 1st round)...but since we got him for nothing, im excited...very excited..who knows what will happen.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Give Sather credit. He and his staff they are always looking for players -- Soryal, Chappel, Williams, Girardi, Gilroy -- and many others. Having the ability to spend money, even on prospects and suspects is a big advantage.
The Rangers have eyes everywhere

07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Okay...but AT LEAST Dupuis was a legitimate NHL player...Fahey is a journeyman AHL D-man...a dime a dozen type...you would think Williams has more value than that.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Okay...but AT LEAST Dupuis was a legitimate NHL player...Fahey is a journeyman AHL D-man...a dime a dozen type...you would think Williams has more value than that.
well just to add, i'd like to point out that bourret was later traded for the pick that became kundratek. not exactly poor asset management if you ask me.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

You gotta love this deal. A career AHLer into a kid who's still a prospect.....man Slats is good with trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
on the prospect side it's tough to say it's the best in the league from top to bottom when there's no bona #1 in the group. Nice group on paper, but young and raw and I don't know if there's a sure-fire guy in the group.
That might change with McDonagh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
You're not the only one.
Oh he's definitely got something. I can't wait to see what he turns Zherdev into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Pleaseee move Sangs/Potter

Sauer is the keeper IMO
I'm with you on Sauer. I think he's going to win a job out of camp. If it weren't for injuries, he would have been a first rounder. Another guy who slid from the 1st round and the Rangers were able to pickup later in the draft. Sangs is a defenseman and IMO defenseman need to know how to play defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
WOW! I dont know what has happened to Sather but my goodness. Keep it up Slats, IMo the Rangers now have the best defensive prospect group in the entire league.
At the very least, the deepest.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:31 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
wtf Glen? You're an animal.
I'll call him an animal when he moves Roszival or Redden in a deal for a #1 center.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I have this weird feeling Girardi is getting moved.
It's a good possibility but Slats has been so surprising lately, the only thing clear seems to be that Zherdev will be gone, what else/who else, only Slats and I'm sure Torts knows.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Williams could end up lousy and this would still be an amazing trade.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

I ****ing HATE Nigel Williams!!! UGH.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
On the level, it sounds good. But why would the Avs give Williams away. Let's not forget that Fahey got screwed over last yr after outplaying Kalinin. Somehow, they went with only 6 D. Now, he'll go home and maybe get a shot. I hope he does.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:56 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Ha! What's the deal with that? Why do you hate him?

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

With what we gave up NOBODY should hate anything

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Now repost:

You gave up NOBODY for him...

Thoughts?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Now repost:

You gave up NOBODY for him...

Thoughts?
I would rather give up my first born than have this entitled, lazy piece of **** on this team.

This guy had the worst attitude I have ever seen in a prospect his draft year. I could care less if he's turned it around some. **** him. Dude is a complete ****** and deserves nothing. I hate the guy with a passion as a prospect.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote