HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Little Piece on What Awaits Gainey in 2010

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  #1
GoldenForum
Registered User
 
GoldenForum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Good Little Piece on What Awaits Gainey in 2010

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...6-1652211.html

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
  #2
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Next year is gonna be a picnic compared to the frenzy of this year.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
  #3
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
So much can/should happen until then that it's way premature to start thinking and/or worrying about this stuff.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
  #4
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Next year is gonna be a picnic compared to the frenzy of this year.
I think it could be even tougher. The cap could go down and we are locked in to some really ugly contracts. We will have Latendresse, S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Price, Halak to re-sign and we may also have sign Plekanec, D'Agostini and Stewart to re-sign along with Mara or a replacement for Mara.

This year we had plenty of cap space to sign players. Next year we will have almost no cap space to sign our RFA's

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM
  #5
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,968
vCash: 500
Umm, next year will not be difficult in terms of signing our RFA's. If we get rid of Hamrlik's and Laraque's contract we will have cleared an extra 7 million. Moreover, if Subban has a monster year you can be sure Hamrlik will be moved. Don't be surprised if Gill's contract is moved next year as well.

We are fine for next year. People will take Hamrlik and his contract next because he will be UFA the following year and teams trying to make a run that have a bit of space would take a chance on a one year veteren ala Florida, Columbus type of teams.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
  #6
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
How is 9.3 millions not enough to sign Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, Maxim Lapierre, Kyle Chipchura, Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak ?

Chipchura needs to prove he belongs in the NHL before even considering a 1+ million/season salary
Tender is getting his thunder stolen by Pacioretty and will remain a 3rd line player
Sergei has a lot to prove as well, although his potential is certainly there
Lapierre is a 3rd/4th line player and will be paid accordingly.
Even if Price is amazing this season, I don't see him getting Fleury money just yet. Prolly in the 3-4 millions, depending on how well he does.
Halak is probably gone by the end of the season, replaced by a cheap vet. There's just no point in keeping this duel going.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
  #7
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Umm, next year will not be difficult in terms of signing our RFA's. If we get rid of Hamrlik's and Laraque's contract we will have cleared an extra 7 million. Moreover, if Subban has a monster year you can be sure Hamrlik will be moved. Don't be surprised if Gill's contract is moved next year as well.

We are fine for next year. People will take Hamrlik and his contract next because he will be UFA the following year and teams trying to make a run that have a bit of space would take a chance on a one year veteren ala Florida, Columbus type of teams.
Those are pretty big if's.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  #8
Maverik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
It's less of a headache for another reason. Let's pretend a couple of these guys have great seasons and ask for enough money to push us over the cap. Gainey can still sign & trade them, giving him something in return, a luxury he does not have with UFAs.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:01 PM
  #9
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
It's hilarious the article asks "Will the Kost brothers be on the team still?"

The media here (well, the French one) has an axe to grind with them for some odd reason. Maybe it's because whenever we think of them we think of the media's clownery this year with their "stories"?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  #10
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
I refuse to read any articles from that site. They represent everything thats wrong about the Montreal media and prevents us from having a team thats as good as it can be. Don't promote this trash, they are the problem, they are the reason Gainey has gone from one of the most beloved heroes of the Habs to some sort of insane Milbury type GM. Don't promote this garbage, whether you agree with them or not, as soon as you read it, they get what they want.

But Gainey knows what he's doing. If he survived this year's frenzy, he can handle anything.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
  #11
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
How is 9.3 millions not enough to sign Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, Maxim Lapierre, Kyle Chipchura, Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak ?
You tell me. That's an average of over 1.5 million per player. Even if both Latendresse and Sergei have breakout years it's hard to see them make more than 2, 2.5 million per, and the Habs should save correspondingly on Chipchura and Lapierre. There's only one top-six winger spot available so only one of the two will get offensive-line icetime, with smart money going on Latendresse.

RFAs generally don't make huge money.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
  #12
shealy04
Registered User
 
shealy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,037
vCash: 500
That picture is not as bleak as people are making it out to be.


What awaits Gainey in 2010? The Stanley Cup!!!

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
  #13
theonejc
Registered User
 
theonejc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Umm, next year will not be difficult in terms of signing our RFA's. If we get rid of Hamrlik's and Laraque's contract we will have cleared an extra 7 million. Moreover, if Subban has a monster year you can be sure Hamrlik will be moved. Don't be surprised if Gill's contract is moved next year as well.

We are fine for next year. People will take Hamrlik and his contract next because he will be UFA the following year and teams trying to make a run that have a bit of space would take a chance on a one year veteren ala Florida, Columbus type of teams.
Gill hasn't even played a game in the Habs uniform yet, how could you say that his contract might be moved?

theonejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
  #14
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonejc View Post
Gill hasn't even played a game in the Habs uniform yet, how could you say that his contract might be moved?
Based on cap room speculation. He has a two year deal. His contract is trade friendly, should we be in cap room trouble I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is dealt next considering that Subban and Weber could be and will probably be ready.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:58 PM
  #15
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
I can see Bob going for Marleau for this reason. If he deals Plekanec, O'Byrne and whoever else for Marleau, this would clear Marleau's salary off our books next summer as I think he's in the last year of his contract. Add that to Hamrlik and Laraque who both come off the books as well after this season and we have enough room to sign our RFAs and bring up youngsters who are ready to make an impression in 2010-2011.

EDIT: Hamrlik's contract ends in 2011.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:21 PM
  #16
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
cakewalk

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
  #17
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It's hilarious the article asks "Will the Kost brothers be on the team still?"

The media here (well, the French one) has an axe to grind with them for some odd reason. Maybe it's because whenever we think of them we think of the media's clownery this year with their "stories"?
It's Jeremy Filosa, not the french media. Jeremy is first and foremost of italian descent. He works for a french media NOW but he used to work for an english media before.

And he was a regular poster at fanhome.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
  #18
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,303
vCash: 500
The cap won't be going down. The economy is already on a steady rise, and the league knows that many plays won't be signed if the cap drops too much. This will cause players to go to Europe and Russia and the league's talent will drop.

Quote me as saying the cap won't change much.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:16 PM
  #19
Moester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
This article is pretty much a non-issue in my opinion. We'll see what goes on this year and move players at need in the off-season. If the Leafs/Flyers/Rangers can trade away their extra salaries, there's nothing that says that Montreal can't do the same at need.

Just another pointless article to fan the flames against Gainey.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
  #20
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
i didn't understand one word... lol

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
  #21
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
If we need more cap space Hamrlik can be traded because one of Subban or Weber will probably be NHL ready by 2010.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
  #22
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 500
Plekanec may even be gone if Ben Maxwell has a good year in Hamilton and shows he is NHL ready which would save us about another $1.5 million, many options are out there and Gainey shouldn't have a problem getting all the RFA's signed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
  #23
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Typo on the title. Should be Chicken Little Piece on what Awaits Gainey in 2010

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
  #24
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
So much can/should happen until then that it's definitely notway to premature to start thinking and/or worrying about this stuff.
I do believe that is the Hab's Fan Creedo.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
  #25
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
If we need more cap space Hamrlik can be traded because one of Subban or Weber will probably be NHL ready by 2010.
IMO, Hamrlik is good/great at $3,5 - 4mil, not more. But that's sometimes the price of UFA signings.

We DO need him (I'm thinking that Spacek and Hammer can form a solid duo..."the Czech duo"). Hamrlik is good for our 2nd D pairing. I'm really hoping they pair him up with Spacek (should be fun to watch).

Some teams might be willing (to acquire Hamrlik) for the March trade deadline, also since there will only be a year left to his contract, but...this is only if O'Byrne, Weber and/or Subban can fill his spot AND fill it well...but do we want to rush Subban? (or Weber).

Me may also miss Hammer's services during playoffs...

I'm glad I'm not Gainey, and that's why he gets paid to make these decisions!!


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-17-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.