HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Selanne: I would never have been a Hab, there's too much media

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
  #101
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Some of the posts here are wayyyyyyyyy exagerrated. The media isnt as bad as some are making them out to be. Yes theres more reporters than elsewhere but the interest for the team warrants it. Expressing their opinions on players and the team is their jobs, others report what they see. They can sometimes go a little too far but for the most part are fair and honest. Players like Selanne that are too scared to come here shows what kind of players they are and frankly i dont want them on my team.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
  #102
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Because you like the idea of being a superhero in one of the hockey mecca in the world?
Not many people like this kind of attention.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:04 PM
  #103
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Some of the posts here are wayyyyyyyyy exagerrated. The media isnt as bad as some are making them out to be. Yes theres more reporters than elsewhere but the interest for the team warrants it. Expressing their opinions on players and the team is their jobs, others report what they see. They can sometimes go a little too far but for the most part are fair and honest. Players like Selanne that are too scared to come here shows what kind of players they are and frankly i dont want them on my team.
It's not exaggerated. Do you realize how wrong it is to spy on Koivu in the hospital or to insinuate that Andrei Kostitsyn is a gangster?

It's (1) very wrong
and (2) it doesn't happen in other NHL cities.

The interest in the team warrants more objective newsporters, not media pundits out to start witch hunts. Why can't people see the difference? You can reporters without having libel and slander. What happened to Andrei and Sergei was either libel or dangerously close to it. Period. You just can't do that, regardless of interest in the team.

It's great that you don't want Selanne. What other Hall of Famers do you want to reject? I'm sure a ton of fantastic players who would play their balls out on the ice don't want to come here. Apparently, they're the ones with the problem, though . Did you stop to think maybe we've got a problem here? Again, there is a giant canyon that separates fan support from unethical media. Completely different things.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:17 PM
  #104
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
We've been complaining about the media for ages. The reality is that's how things are and it's not going to change. The Canadiens have a huge following and with a large fanbase comes a lot of media coverage. Period.

You guys have to realize every NHL city has some good things working for them and some bad things going against them. It's not like we're the only team that has negative elements going against them. Some players won't want to sign in Edmonton because of the cold and the boringess, some won't want to go to Nashville or Phoenix because they like big hockey markets, some won't want to go the Islanders because they've been terrible for so long, and some won't want to come to Montreal or Toronto because of the pressure. And at the same time, there are players who thrive on pressure and want to play in a big market like ours.

We just signed 6 free agents. Who are we to complain? Don't you guys think teams like Nashville or Buffalo would love to be in our situation?

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
  #105
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,287
vCash: 500
Perception is reality. The media might not be as bad, it doesn't matter, the news that have gone out to the world makes people believe that it is and that's all that matters.

Having said that, for whoever would want the media to take notice, well for 1 Selanne, there's a Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Moen, Spacek, Kostopoulos, Hamrlik.....'cause who beside Selanne OPENLY said that it was because of the media? If they don't said it that clearly, for the same media it will always be because of the weather, the team, Gainey, the taxes and so on, and fortunately for them it's often because of all of those factors and not solely because of them so they have the perfect excuse.

And then taking notice to do what exactly? Change? How the heck can most of those people change when the way they're conducting themselves is the only way they know?

Yes we can't attract everybody for all the reasons mentioned above. Like most teams for different kind of reasons. But something is sure, as bad are the media, as bad is the weather and so on, if you can build a succesful team that can compete for the cup year after year and have money to pay them, players will come. There will always some that won't, like some don't in most other cities in this league. But most will 'cause media have time to search for the negative aspect of the team when it's not going well. Best place when it's going well, one of the worst when it isn't. Well, make sure it goes well for once.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
  #106
dfk711*
The real #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Finland
Posts: 20,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Perception is reality. The media might not be as bad, it doesn't matter, the news that have gone out to the world makes people believe that it is and that's all that matters.

Having said that, for whoever would want the media to take notice, well for 1 Selanne, there's a Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Moen, Spacek, Kostopoulos, Hamrlik.....'cause who beside Selanne OPENLY said that it was because of the media? If they don't said it that clearly, for the same media it will always be because of the weather, the team, Gainey, the taxes and so on, and fortunately for them it's often because of all of those factors and not solely because of them so they have the perfect excuse.

And then taking notice to do what exactly? Change? How the heck can most of those people change when the way they're conducting themselves is the only way they know?

Yes we can't attract everybody for all the reasons mentioned above. Like most teams for different kind of reasons. But something is sure, as bad are the media, as bad is the weather and so on, if you can build a succesful team that can compete for the cup year after year and have money to pay them, players will come. There will always some that won't, like some don't in most other cities in this league. But most will 'cause media have time to search for the negative aspect of the team when it's not going well. Best place when it's going well, one of the worst when it isn't. Well, make sure it goes well for once.
Selanne will most likely outscore every one of those players, even at the end of his career. But I guess if you want quantity over quality, then it doesn't matter what he said.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:28 PM
  #107
Stubbs88
Registered User
 
Stubbs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Some of the posts here are wayyyyyyyyy exagerrated. The media isnt as bad as some are making them out to be. Yes theres more reporters than elsewhere but the interest for the team warrants it. Expressing their opinions on players and the team is their jobs, others report what they see. They can sometimes go a little too far but for the most part are fair and honest. Players like Selanne that are too scared to come here shows what kind of players they are and frankly i dont want them on my team.
.....seriously.....


Do you know how many players in the league feel the exact same way as Selanne? Why would you want to come to a city knowing the first sign of trouble the media are going to jump on you and make you out to be something you are not. For us, as fans, watching the games this is hockey. We watch it, get into (some more than others) and an hour after game time everything is the same as before. This is these guys lives. They play hockey to make money (alot of it), to support their families and to do something the love. Why would they want to play somewhere after hearing all the negative stories from players around the league and in the media, knowing that they are not going to be enjoying playing as much as they would somewhere else.

As much as I hate to say it, the media in Toronto as it right. Sure there team is not very good, but they were not to far back. You don't see their media constantly vilifying players in the news. Players actually want to play in Toronto, the same can not be said for Montreal (for the most part).

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:28 PM
  #108
V-2 Schneider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 877
vCash: 500
Montreal's media is completely different from Buffalo's.It is confrontational;it affects all coverage.It turns former players and coaches,now talking heads, into vicious vipers,who would have burst into tears if they were still playing or coaching under such extreme hostility.Buffalo media sees their sports teams as sources of civic pride and they become boosters and show an infectious joy at covering their boys.They are competitive, but fair, and they treat the players like individuals, not before a court and put on trial for their shortcomings.

Maybe Montreal fans want that ceaseless antagonism,but can the players or Hab management?

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
  #109
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
We've been complaining about the media for ages. The reality is that's how things are and it's not going to change. The Canadiens have a huge following and with a large fanbase comes a lot of media coverage. Period.

We just signed 6 free agents. Who are we to complain? Don't you guys think teams like Nashville or Buffalo would love to be in our situation?
(1) There is clearly something wrong with what happened to Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn. Just accepting that this can happen to our players and we can do nothing about is terrible. For the good of this world, things like that cannot stand. They just can't. It would be like evil prevailing over good.

(2) There's a difference between good media coverage and bad media coverage. Why is it that having more journalists has to mean having more bad journalists?

(3) Buffalo and Nashville don't even try to attract free agents. Their ownership and management just don't want to spend the money.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
  #110
MaynardJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
Selanne will most likely outscore every one of those players, even at the end of his career. But I guess if you want quantity over quality, then it doesn't matter what he said.
Crosby would outscored Selanne and would love to play here, so what's your point ? We don't want quantity we want people happy to join our team. Like others said if we would have won 4 cups in a row nobody would mention the pressure of playing here anyway.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:41 PM
  #111
MaynardJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Montreal's media is completely different from Buffalo's.It is confrontational;it affects all coverage.It turns former players and coaches,now talking heads, into vicious vipers,who would have burst into tears if they were still playing or coaching under such extreme hostility.Buffalo media sees their sports teams as sources of civic pride and they become boosters and show an infectious joy at covering their boys.They are competitive, but fair, and they treat the players like individuals, not before a court and put on trial for their shortcomings.

Maybe Montreal fans want that ceaseless antagonism,but can the players or Hab management?
Quebecers tend to do the same with anyone succeeding, I always wonder why we can't only be proud. Lots of jealousy perhaps.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
  #112
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
(1) There is clearly something wrong with what happened to Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn. Just accepting that this can happen to our players and we can do nothing about is terrible. For the good of this world, things like that cannot stand. They just can't. It would be like evil prevailing over good.

(2) There's a difference between good media coverage and bad media coverage. Why is it that having more journalists has to mean having more bad journalists?

(3) Buffalo and Nashville don't even try to attract free agents. Their ownership and management just don't want to spend the money.
My point is that nothing can be done to change that. Media outlets exist to make money, not help out the team. And they make a ton of money covering the Canadiens. That relationships works so well the owner of RDS are also a minority shareholder with the Canadiens. As long as the media doesn't go into libel , and trust me if they did the Canadiens' lawyers would be all over that in a minute, the media has freedom of speech and can write pretty much what they want to write. A minority of the media personalities are idiots, we can all agree on that. (they proved it when they completely overhyped the brothers' story and made us believe the world was going to end before the story was even out, which you mentionned in your post). The only thing that would make things change would be if people stopped reading the paper, watching TV and listening to the radio. And I don't think it's going to happen.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #113
Daice
Registered User
 
Daice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Fuk Selanne if he is too much of a puss to play here

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
  #114
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelle...17-114446.html

It's in French, but he's gone out and said it outright: he never really considered joining Montreal even if Koivu talked to him about it, because he feels there's too much media and that they like to draw out negative stuff.

Proof positive that the media do scare off UFAs, even those that might otherwise have reasons to want to join the team.

I wonder if said media folks will take notice.
Big deal another whine ass hockey star. Doesn't look like we had much of a problem signing basically a whole new team this year.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
  #115
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
Selanne will most likely outscore every one of those players, even at the end of his career. But I guess if you want quantity over quality, then it doesn't matter what he said.
You did get that's what THE MEDIA will say or not what I'm saying....

And then what is outscoring a player has anything to do with anything? There's just as many media in the dressing room and in the city for Kovalev that there was for Bégin. Did Selanne say that the pressure put from the media ON THE STAR PLAYERS was too much or is he talking about the general role of the media and their negative input on the team. If so, it's just as much a problem for a 4th liner than it is for a 1st liner. Shouldn't Cammalleri know that people at that price will expect from him to still be a 40-goal scorer even if he ends up playing with Plekanec? How is there less pressure on him then there would be on Selanne especially since chances are Selanne would have been succesful playing with Koivu while it's still unknown how Cammalleri will be with Plekanec.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
  #116
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
My point is that nothing can be done to change that. Media outlets exist to make money, not help out the team. And they make a ton of money covering the Canadiens. That relationships works so well the owner of RDS are also a minority shareholder with the Canadiens. As long as the media doesn't go into libel , and trust me if they did the Canadiens' lawyers would be all over that in a minute, the media has freedom of speech and can write pretty much what they want to write. A minority of the media personalities are idiots, we can all agree on that. (they proved it when they completely overhyped the brothers' story and made us believe the world was going to end before the story was even out, which you mentionned in your post). The only thing that would make things change would be if people stopped reading the paper, watching TV and listening to the radio. And I don't think it's going to happen.
Well, people have crossed the line so why are they not punished? Going to the hospital and filming Koivu is an invasion of his privacy. Why aren't the Canadiens' lawyers all over that? The Habs need to be more proactive.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  #117
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
The problem with the media is : most of them are ex-Nordiques die hard fans, they hated Habs with a passion, they hate Habs now and they will hate Habs in the future.

The solution is : Bob Gainey should lock the door to the medias.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
  #118
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
Crosby would outscored Selanne and would love to play here, so what's your point ? We don't want quantity we want people happy to join our team. Like others said if we would have won 4 cups in a row nobody would mention the pressure of playing here anyway.
You don't know for sure that Crosby would love to play for the Habs. Just because he was a fan of the Habs while growing up, doesn't mean that as an adult he would still want to play in Montreal.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
  #119
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
You don't know for sure that Crosby would love to play for the Habs. Just because he was a fan of the Habs while growing up, doesn't mean that as an adult he would still want to play in Montreal.
on draft day he made it clear that he wished the Canadiens would win the lottery so he could come and play for the Canadiens

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
  #120
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
on draft day he made it clear that he wished the Canadiens would win the lottery so he could come and play for the Canadiens
Yes and that was before he signed that long term deal with the Penguins. I'm not saying he has zero interest in ever playing for the Habs. Just that he's settled into playing for the Pens. I'd imagine his thoughts of playing for the Habs have been pushed back.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
  #121
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Some hockey stars are very comfortable with this.
These are the guys that will be happy to be here.

All of this is "Pre-processed output of a Bull".
Let's have a winning team and players will line up to be here.
At least the players we want to have...
Some are comfortable with that for sure but it's not the majority.

There's plenty of other good hockey cities where they won't have people on their back all the time all the while having a better chance of winning.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
  #122
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
on draft day he made it clear that he wished the Canadiens would win the lottery so he could come and play for the Canadiens

yeah but now he live in Mario Lemieux house and he's Penguins for the rest of his career

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
  #123
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post
Talked to Craig Rivet at the hometown Gym here in North Bay a week or two ago and I asked him that exact question "Why don't free agents want to come to Montreal..the taxes?? he said no it's not the taxes its the "MEDIA"
Awaiting the Rivet sucks comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
You're right . If a player win a cup here he become a hero for Habs fan but if a player win the cup with another team it mean the same thing for him.

Fans and Players two different things
Don't fool yourself in thinking that those guys aren't heroes from their fans when winning the Cup outside Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Perception is reality. The media might not be as bad, it doesn't matter, the news that have gone out to the world makes people believe that it is and that's all that matters.
Well said once again.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
  #124
habbie67
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
That's just athlete speak. They all say that whatever city they'e playing in is the best, has the best fans...
Exactly.. and no player will disrespect his own fans. To think that they say this only in Montreal and no place else is nuts.. cause if it was true why have so many free agents turned us down? Why did Souray or Komi leave.. maybe they just didn't want to play here. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that maybe some players don't want to play in MTL. This does not make them cowards.

habbie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
  #125
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post


Don't fool yourself in thinking that those guys aren't heroes from their fans when winning the Cup outside Montreal.
I know that but if you win in Montreal or Toronto for example. You have a bigger fan base so it mean something for alot of people, but in the end it change not much for the player where he win the cup

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.