HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want LANG BACK!

Old
07-17-2009, 02:35 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
I want LANG BACK!

I know we have too many centers if we keep Lang and Pleks but if Pleks is traded Lang would be the perfect 2a center.

Exhibit A

Gomez - Lang - Lapierre - Metro/Chip looks better than Gomez - Plekanec - Lapierre -Metro/Chip for three reasons:

1. Lang is bigger
2. Lang has that veteran savvy, he never "phoned it in" even at his age and he has far more vision than Plekanec
3. Lang would be cheaper

Also we can replace the loss of Lang for the next seasons with one of our up-and-comings or a UFA. Plekanec played his way out of the jersey as far as I'm concerned and even though I like the guy, he is not playoff material and I think we all know it.

To me Plekanec is a perfect Vancouver Canuck player and that says it all .

So would you rather Plekanec @ 2.5m or Lang at 2m?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:02 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

i'd rather a healthy lang at 2 than a healthy pleks at 2.5, but i don't think lang can give us many years, nor do i think he can be what he was last year. I'd do it if packaging pleks could get us a future big 2nd line center.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Istanu
Ω

No.
For god's sake, Plekanec had one horrible year like most of the team. Because of this we can get him cheap. Besides he is a perfect centre for Martins style of play. And I really want to see him play without Kovalev in the picture.
Lang was good, but how many years does he have in him? One, two years max? With all the new acquisitions, chemistry will be a problem early on and getting Lang for one year will not help.
We also don't know, how will Lang recover form his injury. Just like we don't know if Plekance will rebound this season.

Istanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
MathMan

I'm okay with Lang, so long as it's Metropolit that loses his regular spot. Hard worker but nowhere near as good. Move him to the wing if you want to keep him in the lineup.

Plekanec is too useful and the potential for an 07-08 season practically forces the Canadiens to hang on to him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i'd rather a healthy lang at 2 than a healthy pleks at 2.5, but i don't think lang can give us many years, nor do i think he can be what he was last year. I'd do it if packaging pleks could get us a future big 2nd line center.
I think it's unlikely that Lang would be willing to take that much of a discount to re-sign with the Habs.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm okay with Lang, so long as it's Metropolit that loses his regular spot. Hard worker but nowhere near as good. Move him to the wing if you want to keep him in the lineup.

Plekanec is too useful and the potential for an 07-08 season practically forces the Canadiens to hang on to him.
I was pleasantly surprised with Metropolit. Much more tiring for the opponent's defense than Lang. Considering it's the 4th line, I'd rather have him at center.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I know Pleks didn't have his best season last year but he still managed 20 goals and played well on the pk.Don't forget Martin is now the head coach and a player like Pleks is going to do well in his system of being solid at both ends of the ice,Lang I'm not to sure would be a key to the Habs playing under Martin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:42 AM
centrehice

Incredibly short sited. Lang has MAYBE 1-2 years left in him. He was great for us, but who knows how he recovered. He may even be slower.

Lang may be great next year, but what about 2-3 from now?

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Fozz

I'll take Plekanec, thanks.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
That video was one of the rare occasions last season, where pretty much every line in our team contributed to the victory. Not to mention Kovy was wearing the C so he was better than usual. I still think Pleks is good considering most of our top players had horrible seasons last year.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
TheCH*

Why do people keep talking about "replacing" Plekanec? We have a good young cheap second line capable center in him.

You want to dump that for 1 year of Robert ****ing Lang?
Give me a break..

I wouldn't mind signing Lang AND keeping Plekanec.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Marksman

Lang is too slow for a team that tries to build on speed. And for all we know he could be retiring, having injured his achilles... if it doesnt heal in time. Which wont make him even faster either.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Hermamoud

Now that Higgins is gone, Plekanec is the new player everybody wants to get rid of / trade?

Lang is closing on 40 years old and isn't getting any faster. Plekanec is young and had one bad season. Why is everybody giving up on him? Imagine if Jeff Carter was traded during his bad season and scored 40 goals elsewhere. How would the Flyers management look?

Detroit didn't win the cup with 6'3, 220 pounds centremen. I don't understand what's this obsession with size

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
evilstanley

love Bobby Lang, but

for hockey's sake, will SOMEONE here stop these TomPlex hate threads?

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Thinkbig

LANG....How old is he?

I prefer a 50-60 points Pleky for many years... Hopefully he comes back at his best next season.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Mustafa*

Land said he wouldn't take a paycut this year.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
llamateizer

Sign Lang
Trade Plekanec
start of the season, Lang is injured for the rest of season

great
thats the scenario for me if we sign lang

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
number 11

ya, i love lang but i'll give plek another chance, let's see what he can do with new linemates. the only concern of mine is that he disappears come playoff time.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Iwishihadacup

what have you done for me lately Maxlapierre?

only bad threads and trades proposition, you were a good poster 2 months ago, I think we should trade you

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Chuck the Bean

This offense is based on Speed... Lang was already not fast enough last year and with the type of injury he had, I'm afraid he'll be even slower this year. No wonder no team has signed him yet and he's thinking of joining Jagr in Russia to finish his carrer.

Chuck the Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:53 AM
WhiskeySeven*

First of all I don't hate TomPlex. I doubt many sane posters hate him. I'd like him on the team and I think that he's a decent 2nd liner.

I DON'T think he has any major potential beyond his 69pt season and we've seen his best with that. He'll never be an 80pt center IMO.

Lang's issue with speed is so over-blown; in that video I posted did you see how he was streaking down with Lapierre? Lang was playing with the flying Kostitsyns for a good part of the season and playing exceptionally. He's a good locker-room guy, veteran savvy, BIG, good on faceoffs, soft hands and good vision.

After a year or two of Lang, we replace him with a prospect (Maxwell, Engqvist, Johansson) or a trade or a UFA. Simple as that.

edit

What would you do when we're in the 2nd round of the playoffs, facing the Bruins/Flyers and Plekanec disappears because they're running a strong forecheck?

He was 0pts -5 in 4 games this year! He disappeared last playoffs as well.

Plekanec seems like a great complimentary scorer but not as a 2nd center on a team that will roll lines. If he was behind Joe Thornton it would be fine, or behind Kopitar, or on Pitts, or on Tampa or any team with a big, strong stud 1st line center.

Our team will rely on him slightly more than the average 2nd line center. He will be on the PP, PK and in crucial moments.

With Lucic on the ice, do you think he'll take a body check and keep the puck? Gomez certainly can (I've seen him) but he isn't as good as the centers I mentioned above so Martin will rely on him slightly less and on Plekanec slightly more.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven*: 07-17-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old
07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Habs Dynasty

that's true but pleks can't seem to rise to the next level when it matters even when he had a good year he vanished from the playoff and call himself a little girl,I say if we have a chance to trade for someone that would help the team I'm not talking about only in the regular season but in the playoffs we should go for it while he still has some value.
Pleks is good but he don't seem to have the heart to turn up his game when it matters.
look at the difference between Martin St Louis who knows how to rise for the big game and he's smaller.
but lets see how he does under Martins system.

Habs Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I'll take Plekanec, thanks.
Ditto.

For some odd reason, it seems like Plekanec is slowly becoming the next Brisebois or Higgins... sad, sad fans we have.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Ditto.

For some odd reason, it seems like Plekanec is slowly becoming the next Brisebois or Higgins... sad, sad fans we have.
Coming from someone who would literally complain about Kovalev every post, that's rich!

Plekanec is the weakest link on this team; either that's a positive or a negative. Everyone always wants to fix the weakest link because it's the one that will hurt the team first, and the most.

Higgins was loved in his energy line/checking line role. No one complained because he was no longer relied on to score. With those ridiculously inaccurate snapshots and his 19 pts of course he'd get criticized for playing 2nd line minutes.

Brisebois was pretty bad defensively and though did not deserve endless hatred spewed his way he needed to get bigger/better for decades now.

Old
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Iwishihadacup

Man, what can a single season change everything

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote