HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want LANG BACK!

Old
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind that. It would give a bit more breathing space to Maxwell as Lang isn't getting younger and I doubt he can go 100 games with full 2nd centre minutes.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Coming from someone who would literally complain about Kovalev every post, that's rich!

Plekanec is the weakest link on this team; either that's a positive or a negative. Everyone always wants to fix the weakest link because it's the one that will hurt the team first, and the most.

Higgins was loved in his energy line/checking line role. No one complained because he was no longer relied on to score. With those ridiculously inaccurate snapshots and his 19 pts of course he'd get criticized for playing 2nd line minutes.

Brisebois was pretty bad defensively and though did not deserve endless hatred spewed his way he needed to get bigger/better for decades now.
Funny cause he was our 3rd best goal scorer with 20 goals.2 Years ago he was 2nd in points only behind Kovalev,now all of a sudden after a bad year(by every Hab BTW) you want him out and Lang back a difference of also 12 years of age.

You watch,If Pleks is not traded I bet he plays the same way as 2 years ago under Jacques Martin

Oh and Lang won't give us a couple of sh goals per year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
flappuck

Quote:
I DON'T think he has any major potential beyond his 69pt season and we've seen his best with that. He'll never be an 80pt center IMO.
69 points for a second line center is just fine.

As far as disappearing in the playoffs go, everyone disappeared except Kovalev, Higgins and Koivu and even then...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappuck View Post
69 points for a second line center is just fine.

As far as disappearing in the playoffs go, everyone disappeared except Kovalev, Higgins and Koivu and even then...
even Kovalev disappeared, appart from his 2-3 perfect shots, he did not o much

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Coming from someone who would literally complain about Kovalev every post, that's rich!

Plekanec is the weakest link on this team; either that's a positive or a negative. Everyone always wants to fix the weakest link because it's the one that will hurt the team first, and the most.

Higgins was loved in his energy line/checking line role. No one complained because he was no longer relied on to score. With those ridiculously inaccurate snapshots and his 19 pts of course he'd get criticized for playing 2nd line minutes.

Brisebois was pretty bad defensively and though did not deserve endless hatred spewed his way he needed to get bigger/better for decades now.
Kovalev had one great season with us and salvaged a very poor season last year in the last 15 games or so. He was one of the top paid players on this team and overall didn't perform as such. Can you honestly say the same about Plekanec? Didn't think so. If you want to compare fruit, compare apples with apples.

Plekanec is an excellent 2-way player who had to deal with a ball and chain in Kovalev on his line. Let me explain why I'm saying that so that you don't think that it's just Kovalev bashing here...

Three years ago, Plekanec was stuck with Samsonov and Kovalev on his line for the first half of the season. When Carbonneau finally decided to punish Kovalev and put him on the fourth line, and when Samsonov got off that line as well, Plekanec was our best forward for the second half of that season averaging about a point per game. You will remember the Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn line, I'm sure.

When Kovalev wanted to play (see two years ago) and decided to be a contributor instead of a ball and chain, that line was fantastic, to the point of taking over Koivu's line as the first line. Who was centering it? Not Lang, but Plekanec.

Then last year, stuck once again with a moody Kovalev, Plekanec struggled to find his game, I'll give you that but yet, he finished the season 3rd on the team in goals with 20 and sixth in scoring.

Plekanec, as explained by Habs 4 Life, will have a great season under Jacques Martin because he's a speedy, two-way player and mostly, he won't have Kovalev to deal with. Watch him go.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Go Habs Go

You want the 40 year old with the career threatening injury that 29 other teams don't even want, the same players with rumors of the KHL circulating. Give up on the young player with the cheap contract, going into next year with the cap dropping with us this year already at the cap limit? Tell me, what will you do next year when Lang leaves and you need to find a 2nd line center that will play for 1-2 mil because the cap has gone down by 6-7 mil? You better pray Louis Leblanc is ready.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
habfan1968

I would keep Tplex over Lang in the current situation. He is younger and faster and is likely to play 80 games this coming season. Lang would most likely give you 45 games and be gone at the deadline or walk as an FA at the end of the year. We could have Tplex for the next three and if he bombs this season we could still trade him at the deadline.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Funny cause he was our 3rd best goal scorer with 20 goals.2 Years ago he was 2nd in points only behind Kovalev,now all of a sudden after a bad year(by every Hab BTW) you want him out and Lang back a difference of also 12 years of age.

You watch,If Pleks is not traded I bet he plays the same way as 2 years ago under Jacques Martin

Oh and Lang won't give us a couple of sh goals per year
Hey man, you're a mod, you should know logic isn't allowed on here.

A struggling year, finished with 20 goals ? Not too shabby.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Ginu

Plekanec is a good second line center, just not for a team in a division with Boston and Toronto given their D size.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Plekanec is a good second line center, just not for a team in a division with Boston and Toronto given their D size.
right,so he's a good second line center but not for our division?So he's better off playing in which division?

Funny cause I don't remember him having a hard time 2 years ago against the same Bruins defence and the leafs,most of his goals/points came against them

Old
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Puckhead58*

No thanks....I'd rather keep a younger, faster, smarter Plekanec than Lang.

I like Lang but who knows how much last years injury will effect him. He's getting older and slower and likely wouldn't be willing to sign for less than $3 million and he only has 1 or 2 years left.

Pleks is just coming into his prime and he could be a big player for the Habs in the future if we hang on to him.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
WeezyHabFan

...Pleky is younger, faster, and has alot of potential. He'll recover from ONE BAD YEAR, like honestly this is getting old

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Lang not going to Russia

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/278632.html

Here's hoping Montreal can land Lang at a low cap hit on a one or two year deal

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Thinkbig

We would be the craziest team in the whole league to let go Plekanec who has plenty of potential in order to keep Lang... how old is he 38? Who got almost all his points on the PP because MR CARBO gave him PLENTY of PP time.

IT WAS JUST A BAAAAAAAAAD YEAR, some people don't realize it. We have seen sparks of Pleky last year when Kovy was out, and everybody started cheering for him. This year, he will be like this the whole year. Pleky is a real fighter!

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/278632.html

Here's hoping Montreal can land Lang at a low cap hit on a one or two year deal
Where will he play? On the 4th line?

We already have Gomez, Pleks and Lapierre.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Pr3Va1L

Trade Pleks for a good prospect and sign Lang?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=664405

Old
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Where will he play? On the 4th line?

We already have Gomez, Pleks and Lapierre.
There's always room for more depth

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn
S. Kostitsyn-Lang-Latendresse
Moen-Lapierre-Laraque

ex: D'Agostini, Stewart, Chipchura, Metropolit. Dags can still play in Hamilton. The other guys would rotate in and out of the lineup. Laraque might not be ready to start the year so one of Stewart, Chips or Metropolit would step in.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Or we can just keep Plekanec instead of giving up on a perfectly good player just because you don't like him

Old
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
MathMan

Also, let's not forget that Lang was having an unusually good year in Montreal, that's unlikely to be reproduced. 20 goals and 50-55 points is a likely expectation if he doesn't lose a step.

Practically everyone in Montreal who was having a good year got hurt, and everyone who was having a bad year stayed healthy. Ironic.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
There's always room for more depth

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn
S. Kostitsyn-Lang-Latendresse
Moen-Lapierre-Laraque

ex: D'Agostini, Stewart, Chipchura, Metropolit. Dags can still play in Hamilton. The other guys would rotate in and out of the lineup. Laraque might not be ready to start the year so one of Stewart, Chips or Metropolit would step in.
I will miss Lapierre checking line with Lats.

Last year, we've seen how useless a 3rd line with talent can be and how effective a 3rd checking line can be.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:01 PM
mtl_felix

Plekanec is young (4 NHL seasons)
Plekanec scored 20 goals in each of the last 3 seasons.
Plekanec has lots of potential.

Lang is old.
Lang isn't likely to take a paycut.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:11 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
I will miss Lapierre checking line with Lats.

Last year, we've seen how useless a 3rd line with talent can be and how effective a 3rd checking line can be.
We also saw how useful having Lang as depth can be. You can still have the fourth line as a checking line.

I don't understand why people are frowning on the "roll three lines approach." Carolina does it. Boston does it. The Wings do it. Just because Carbo was bad at it doesn't mean the system sucks.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Gustave

He won't fit under the cap. I'm fairly certain that Bob is done on the market. Plek was dynamite in the 07-08 season. How soon we forget. I'm confident he will bounce back.

Let's be positive here.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Pascal

ppl still think we have cap space? we have less than 1M left after we sign Plek and the other RFAs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote