HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want LANG BACK!

Old
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
All the player u mention play DIFFERENT ROLES on the team. You cannot compare pleks to Laraque... Also, they were stronger at their respective positions than pleks last year! You cannot deny that Pleks has confidence issues. He calls himself a little girl, he openly says he didn't know why Czech asked him to play in the WC. I like pleks, but if he doesn't play like he did two years ago (or better than last year), our second line will be inefficient, thus hurting the team. Pleks is the most likely candidate to dissapoint this year due to his lack of self confidence and non aggressive play. I hope he doesn't though because I WANT him to do well
First of all, Plekanec didn't "call himself a little girl" as you say, but he said that at that point in time, he felt like he was playing like one. Notice the difference? If you don't, there lies the problem.

Secondly, the member I was quoting simply said that he was our weakest link, which is bull crap regardless or roles. Had he qualified that he's our weakest link as a top two center, I would have simply replied "duh", as there can only be one #1 center. Again, hope you notice the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Plekanec is the weakest link at his role. Gomez is a decent 1st liner, Camellari is good 1st liner, Gionta is a solid top6 winger etc.

For a top6 player, remember playoffs included, you want toughness and ability in spades.

Plekanec IS NOT TOUGH ENOUGH. PLEKANEC SHYS AWAY FROM CONTACT.
These aren't my "opinions", these are facts.
Saying that he's not tough enough and shies away from contact is your OPINION, not FACTS, as it's relative.

Quote:
If we had Getzlaf, I'm okay with Pleks as my 2nd line center but that's not the situation now is it? We have a non-physical 1st line center so if our 2nd line center is also non-physical (and terrified of contact to boot) that is about 50-70% of our offense contained by a good and tough backcheck/defense.
So if I hear you correctly, Plekanec is "not enough" because Gomez isn't big like Getzlaf? Is it Plekanec's fault or Gomez'???

Quote:
Forget about his 07-08 form; when you have an 84pt Kovalev on your line and a hotshot Andrei Kostitsyn too, your stats get inflated. If he had played with Higgins and Ryder his numbers would've really reflected his ability.

I don't like how he plays because he can get contained by one hard check. He is the typical "soft-euro" that Don Cherry hates and given the turnover on this team toward toughness and consistency I'm surprised Plekanec is still here.
Three years ago, Plekanec was stuck with Samsonov and Kovalev on his line for the first half of the season. When Carbonneau finally decided to punish Kovalev and put him on the fourth line, and when Samsonov got off that line as well, Plekanec was our best forward for the second half of that season averaging about a point per game. You will remember the Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn line, I'm sure.

When Kovalev wanted to play (see two years ago) and decided to be a contributor instead of a ball and chain, that line was fantastic, to the point of taking over Koivu's line as the first line. Who was centering it? Not Lang, but Plekanec.

Then last year, stuck once again with a moody Kovalev, Plekanec struggled to find his game, I'll give you that but yet, he finished the season 3rd on the team in goals with 20 and sixth in scoring.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
First of all, Plekanec didn't "call himself a little girl" as you say, but he said that at that point in time, he felt like he was playing like one. Notice the difference? If you don't, there lies the problem.

Secondly, the member I was quoting simply said that he was our weakest link, which is bull crap regardless or roles. Had he qualified that he's our weakest link as a top two center, I would have simply replied "duh", as there can only be one #1 center. Again, hope you notice the difference.

Saying that he's not tough enough and shies away from contact is your OPINION, not FACTS, as it's relative.
I'm sorry you are right. He said he was playing like a little girl. Still shows lack of confidence at that point in time when we needed him to be at his best... you cannot deny that.

secondly. Pleks was one of the most (if not the most) disappointing forward last year at his respective position and you know it.

Finally. You are right. It is my opinion. It is also the opinion of the MAJORITY of viewers out there, including professional analysts. Now why is that? If you think otherwise then say it and leave it at that, but I havn't seen a post of yours that claims pleks does not shy away from physical contact, nor that he is a tough player.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I'm sorry you are right. He said he was playing like a little girl. Still shows lack of confidence at that point in time when we needed him to be at his best... you cannot deny that.

secondly. Pleks was one of the most (if not the most) disappointing forward last year at his respective position and you know it.

Finally. You are right. It is my opinion. It is also the opinion of the MAJORITY of viewers out there, including professional analysts. Now why is that? If you think otherwise then say it and leave it at that, but I havn't seen a post of yours that claims pleks does not shy away from physical contact, nor that he is a tough player.
I see nothing wrong with Plekanec admitting that he wasn't playing well at that time and wish that more players were as honest as he was when making that statement. Accountability is a huge quality as opposed to denial as we've grown accustomed to in recent years in Montreal.

As disappointing as his season may have seemed, he still finished third on our team in goals' scored and that, in spite of his right winger deciding to play 15 games last year. No too shabby if you ask me.

Finally, to expect Plekanec to be a physical player is simply delusional. To each his role. Lafleur was never a physical player and neither were Petrov, Mats Naslund and Yvan Cournoyer, just to name a few. But like those guys and unlike others currently or previously on the team, Plekanec is not afraid to get his nose dirty and goes to the front of the net though and that's a sign of his character and desire to be successful. That I do know.

Old
07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with Plekanec admitting that he wasn't playing well at that time and wish that more players were as honest as he was when making that statement. Accountability is a huge quality as opposed to denial as we've grown accustomed to in recent years in Montreal.

As disappointing as his season may have seemed, he still finished third on our team in goals' scored and that, in spite of his right winger deciding to play 15 games last year. No too shabby if you ask me.

Finally, to expect Plekanec to be a physical player is simply delusional. To each his role. Lafleur was never a physical player and neither were Petrov, Mats Naslund and Yvan Cournoyer, just to name a few. But like those guys and unlike others currently or previously on the team, Plekanec is not afraid to get his nose dirty and goes to the front of the net though and that's a sign of his character and desire to be successful. That I do know.
Accountability is really that important to you? More so than performing to what he is capable of (which is a lot!).

A disappointing season... which I am sure he will not do again because this is as low as he can go imo. He is a great player just needs more confidence and more consistency. He got most of his goals playing with Kovalev. 20 goals, 39 pts playing second line center minutes (first line center minutes at the beginning of the year) is "not too shabby" to you?

I think plekanec IS afraid to get his nose dirty along with most habs fans. No you do not know, you think. Like you said... its an opinion and you stated yours I stated mine.

P.S Pleks was the 74th highest scoring center last year. He wouldn't have even made one of the top tier Third line centers in terms of production... that is disappointing no matter how you look at it.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Accountability is really that important to you? More so than performing to what he is capable of (which is a lot!).

A disappointing season... which I am sure he will not do again because this is as low as he can go imo. He is a great player just needs more confidence and more consistency. He got most of his goals playing with Kovalev. 20 goals, 39 pts playing second line center minutes (first line center minutes at the beginning of the year) is "not too shabby" to you?

I think plekanec IS afraid to get his nose dirty along with most habs fans. No you do not know, you think. Like you said... its an opinion and you stated yours I stated mine.

P.S Pleks was the 74th highest scoring center last year. He wouldn't have even made one of the top tier Third line centers in terms of production... that is disappointing no matter how you look at it.
Plekanec is an excellent 2-way player who had to deal with a ball and chain in Kovalev on his line, a guy who decided to play the last 15 games of the season.

Three years ago, Plekanec was stuck with Samsonov and Kovalev on his line for the first half of the season. When Carbonneau finally decided to punish Kovalev and put him on the fourth line, and when Samsonov got off that line as well, Plekanec was our best forward for the second half of that season averaging about a point per game. You will remember the Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn line, I'm sure.

When Kovalev wanted to play (see two years ago) and decided to be a contributor instead of holding his line back, that line was fantastic, to the point of taking over Koivu's line as the first line. Who was centering it? Right, Plekanec.

Then last year, stuck once again with a moody Kovalev, Plekanec struggled to find his game, I'll give you that but yet, he finished the season 3rd on the team in goals with 20 and sixth in scoring in that, a tough year to his standards.

So call that under-performing all you want, those are decent numbers for a second line center playing with dead weight on his line. Furthermore, he's still young and won't have Kovalev anymore, playing for a coach who I truly believe will be able to get the maximum out of him. I'm anticipating a great season from Plekanec and you, along with a few others, are going to eat your words my friend... can't wait.

Old
07-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Plekanec is an excellent 2-way player who had to deal with a ball and chain in Kovalev on his line, a guy who decided to play the last 15 games of the season.

When Kovalev wanted to play (see two years ago) and decided to be a contributor instead of holding his line back, that line was fantastic, to the point of taking over Koivu's line as the first line. Who was centering it? Right, Plekanec.

Then last year, stuck once again with a moody Kovalev, Plekanec struggled to find his game, I'll give you that but yet, he finished the season 3rd on the team in goals with 20 and sixth in scoring in that, a tough year to his standards.

So call that under-performing all you want, those are decent numbers for a second line center playing with dead weight on his line. Furthermore, he's still young and won't have Kovalev anymore, playing for a coach who I truly believe will be able to get the maximum out of him. I'm anticipating a great season from Plekanec and you, along with a few others, are going to eat your words my friend... can't wait.
Was I talking about three years ago? Was I talking about two years ago? No. I agree and check my other posts on plekanec threads and you will see that I see Pleky THRIVING under JM. What I am, and have been saying, is that Pleks has let us down in the 2008 playoffs and in the 2008-2009 season and playoffs. I want Pleks to do well, I can see him doing well. He can also just as easily be a bust because of his weak confidence issues. I remember you posting this exact post somewhere else. It's hilarious to see how personally you take these observations of certain players.

Plekanec was a disappointment last year. He played great the two previous years, and I expect him to play well under JM. That is where I stand. No, I will not be eating the words you made up. Read the posts instead of taking them as insults to your beloved players.

Old
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Great post, Lang is a great player and he can still produce. Some whine about his age but that experience serves him well, he is a smart player with a good level of skill.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

How can anybody defend Pleks last season? He was by far our worst player, and unfortunately one of the few who managed to stay healthy. As for those 15 games by Kovalev, those were the 15 games immediately following Kovalev moving off of Plekanec's wing and onto Koivu's. AKost also produced next to nothing all season when playing on Plekanec's wing, and Higgins after putting osme pucks into the net on a line with Stewy and Dandy dried up after going onto a line with Plekanec. Plekanec was the one causing players to underproduce. His effortless, gutless and downright terrible play last season was inexcusable. He was literally making everybody else worse on the team. Among nhl regulars, I don't think anybody could find a player last season who was worse.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
How can anybody defend Pleks last season? He was by far our worst player, and unfortunately one of the few who managed to stay healthy. As for those 15 games by Kovalev, those were the 15 games immediately following Kovalev moving off of Plekanec's wing and onto Koivu's. AKost also produced next to nothing all season when playing on Plekanec's wing, and Higgins after putting osme pucks into the net on a line with Stewy and Dandy dried up after going onto a line with Plekanec. Plekanec was the one causing players to underproduce. His effortless, gutless and downright terrible play last season was inexcusable. He was literally making everybody else worse on the team. Among nhl regulars, I don't think anybody could find a player last season who was worse.
Very quick at nailing the young guy to the wall and in the same breath, taking any responsibility away from the veteran, I see. Not surprised though, just very unfair and unjustified if you ask me.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
TheCH*

Andrei Kostitsyn was more disappointing last year than Plekanec, lets dump him while we are at it.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn was more disappointing last year than Plekanec, lets dump him while we are at it.
Don't forget Price as well.

Let's just go for a new team all together.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Very quick at nailing the young guy to the wall and in the same breath, taking any responsibility away from the veteran, I see. Not surprised though, just very unfair and unjustified if you ask me.
how is it unjustified? Plekanec is old enough to take criticism. When you play as uninspired as he did it makes everybody worse, that's why everybody who played with him last year had their worst parts of the season. It would be one thing if he was putting in an honest effort, but he wasn't. There was no effort to his game at all.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
how is it unjustified? Plekanec is old enough to take criticism. When you play as uninspired as he did it makes everybody worse, that's why everybody who played with him last year had their worst parts of the season. It would be one thing if he was putting in an honest effort, but he wasn't. There was no effort to his game at all.
Because he had no ****ing right winger for most of the season!