HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whats the greatest comeback you've ever participated in?

Old
07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Escapades

vCash: 500
Whats the greatest comeback you've ever participated in?

Last night in the adult league I play in we were loosing 5-1 with 20 seconds to go in the first half and were able to turn it around and ended up winning 7-6. I could be wrong, but I think that's the largest deficit a team I played on has ever overcome. The elation was sweetened for me because I contributed four of our goals. What about you guys? Whats your greatest comeback?

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
well in the finals we were down 2-0 with 2 mins left. we scored 3 goals in 27 seconds. then they score but we won 6 seconds in overtime

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
DevsFan84

Adult league- semi's in the playoffs. We were down 4-0 after 1, and I didn't think there was much hope. For some reason, I became a brick wall after that

Ended up going to the first (and only, so far) shootout I have ever participated in. I made the winning stop and we all went crazy...best game by far I've participated in.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Pog Form

2002-2003 was my final year of high school and it was my first year on the varsity hockey team. (I had tried out the year before and ended up being the last player cut.)

Anyway, we only lost one game in that 2002-2003 season. We ended up making it to the finals and meeting the only team that beat us all year.

In the championship game, we were down 3-2 after two periods. In the locker room, the assistant coach gave us the requisite inspirational speech, and we ended up going back out there and getting scored on within the first minute of the third period, putting us down 4-2. We then exploded for five goals and ended up winning by a final score of 7-4.

Our head coach had passed away at the beginning of the season, having coached the team for more than two decades. The win was our school's first championship in 80 years (since 1923). We didn't come back from a huge defecit, but it was surely the greatest comeback I've ever been a part of.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
WithOutPaperss

We were down 2-1. With 14 seconds left in the game, I scored to tie it up. We went to the faceoff, went back down the ice and with 1 second left I scored the game winning goal.

My second best is we were down 7-1 going into the third period and ended up winning 9-7. Pretty high scoring game.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

In the playoffs we were down 6 to 2 Goin into the third. We won 8 to 6.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Not really a comeback as much as a great team game. last night in adult my adult rec league our goalie was a no show. long story short we were all over the team hanging one guy at the red line most time we ended up in a 4-4 tie first time i ever seen or been in a game where a team had no goalie and didnt lose

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
2002-2003 was my final year of high school and it was my first year on the varsity hockey team. (I had tried out the year before and ended up being the last player cut.)

Anyway, we only lost one game in that 2002-2003 season. We ended up making it to the finals and meeting the only team that beat us all year.

In the championship game, we were down 3-2 after two periods. In the locker room, the assistant coach gave us the requisite inspirational speech, and we ended up going back out there and getting scored on within the first minute of the third period, putting us down 4-2. We then exploded for five goals and ended up winning by a final score of 7-4.

Our head coach had passed away at the beginning of the season, having coached the team for more than two decades. The win was our school's first championship in 80 years (since 1923). We didn't come back from a huge defecit, but it was surely the greatest comeback I've ever been a part of.
You should pitch the movie.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
hoefs13

In response to xweekendwarriorx's post, in a game last winter our goalie missed the first half of the game and we were down about 2-3 goals when he showed up. With him in the pipes we turn it around and win the game on the scoreboard. The league official gave us a loss by forfeit for not starting the game with our goalie. That caused quite the uproar.

In college we had an almost comeback that my linemate and I still fume about to this day. He and I each scored a goal in the first period in a game the was back and forth and stayed 2-2 for the most part. On the goal I scored I was checked on my follow through landing on just my elbow essentially blowing it up. I wanted to puke it hurt so bad. Anyway I told the coach that I was going to sit out but not undress. I sat out the entire second and most of the third. They scored early in the third to make it 3-2 and were trying to ride it out. Late in the third I asked the coach to throw me in a couple times to see what I could do. My team carried it in and got a change on the fly and I jumped the boards and went straight to the net. We got a shot and a rebound and I just banged away til it went in. We were able to get to OT. This is where it all goes wrong. The coach, starts a line using some mixture of the 3rd and 4th lines. All big guys to get the puck deep and grind it out. They win the draw, dump it in and go to work. All 3 of em below the goal line. Other team breaks out, 2 on 1, shoots, scores, its over. Less than a minute into OT. I don't remember a word being said the entire bus ride home other that WTF.

hoefs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
noobman

House league minor hockey... our team was down 5-0 near the end of the second. I scored my first goal of the season in pretty spectacular fashion (deked around a defender and beat the goalie five-hole). I had two more assists as we came back to make it 5-3. Our better guys then started to take over the game, and we eventually won the game 8-6.

To be honest, I've been involved in more games where my team has completely melted down than games where my team has mounted a comeback.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A couple years ago, my team had gone two games in a row being shut out. We were down 3-0 halfway through the third and looked like we were going to be shut out a third straight game. One of our defensemen stepped up at the point and took a shot that went in, we finally scored, the team went nuts. Another guy buried a pass a couple minutes later, and with two minutes to go we tied it up.

In overtime, I'm digging for the puck in the corner, grab it and get away from the defender, and pass it to the crease hoping one of my guys can get a shot. It bounced off the goalie's skate and in for the OT winner. Very cool.

This week we were playing against the #2 team in the division who were 5-1, we were #1 at 5-0. It was a late game, after 11 pm in the 3rd period, and we were up 3-0. The refs decide to start dropping the puck earlier since our guys were taking forever to get to the faceoff dot, and I wasn't paying attention. We win the draw back to me, and as I turn around I see the puck going by me, I jump for it but catch an edge and go down on my back, they spring on it for a breakaway goal. On the next faceoff, they push it past our center and right through me again for another goal. Luckily we pulled out the win, but that was probably the worst 7 seconds of my life.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
AK

Down 4-1 with five minutes to go in a championship game in Squirt A Major.

Came back to win 6-4 with an empty netter

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Not really a comeback in a game but kind of...

We finished 3rd on 5 teams in the classement of my atom league.

To win the championship we had to win against the team who finished second and then one or two hours later we had to face the team who finished first in the final.

We won both games!
Greatest hockey moment of my recreational league career

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:42 PM
mbeam

We used to rent out a local roller rink before it went under and we'd play for 3 hours in the middle of the night, 11pm-2am or something like that were the time slots we always got. We would play 4 on 4 with captains picking teams and games up till 20 which usually lasted about 30-40min of straight playing. Needless to say, it wasn't very defensively minded. I remember in one of the games we were playing we were down 17-2 and just getting shellacked. We thought we were by far the better team so we were a little frustrated. We ended up turning it around and putting in 18 straight to win it so that was a pretty epic deficit and we felt pretty good about ourselves, even if it was just against buddies.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

My greatest comeback I participated in was a LOSS lmao.

We were ahead 6 to 1 in the third period and lost in a shootout.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 04:33 AM
UserName

Best of 3 Series, with the 3rd "game" being a single period played after the 2nd game.

We lost the 2nd game in the series in a shootout and had to play a final, deciding and winner take all period right after the second game.

They scored 2 minutes into the period and it remained that way until the final minute where we tied it up at one. Expecting another shootout to decided the winner, we made the cautious effort to protect the lead and get it in to the shootout by playing full out defense for the last minute. However, with 15 seconds left and the puck at our opponent's zone, we somehow managed the get several scoring chances and finally managed to poke in a loose puck with 5 seconds left.

It's not a monumental comeback, but the circumstances in that game (heartbreaking shootout loss in the second game, fatigue and playing till 1:30 am in the morning) made it one of the greatest comebacks I've participated in.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
KRM

Frölunda vs. Leksand 2003-04 SEL season. Frölunda were down 0-4 at home with less then 5 minutes to go of the third and managed to score 3 quick goals, and with 3 seconds left on the clock there was a faceoff in the offensive zone, centre wins and winger gets it back to the point, one times it five hole on the goalie and after a long video review the goal is allowed. Frölunda then won in the shootout.

Half the crowd had already left the building, the ones remaining compensated for that and then more, I couldn't talk the next day. A Leksand fan infront of me, a grown man, was crying his eyes out (the team was in really bad position and was relegated at the end of the season).

Here is the game tying on the buzzer, 0:15 into the video.

Edit: Didn't the title say "seen or participated in"?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Edit: Didn't the title say "seen or participated in"?
Nope, and since this is the rink board participated in is kinda implied as well. The entire board is supposed to be dedicated to people and their hockey experiences in rec leagues, youth leagues, whatever.

Mine wasn't a a huge comeback, but it was a championship game. We're down 1-3, and I get the puck, drive it up ice on the wing, and eventually we score on that play. Right after that, we get control of the puck on the faceoff, get it in and score on that sequence too. Tied. There's no scoring in the third period or overtime, and the shootout goes to 12 rounds with us finally winning it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Nope, and since this is the rink board participated in is kinda implied as well. The entire board is supposed to be dedicated to people and their hockey experiences in rec leagues, youth leagues, whatever.

Mine wasn't a a huge comeback, but it was a championship game. We're down 1-3, and I get the puck, drive it up ice on the wing, and eventually we score on that play. Right after that, we get control of the puck on the faceoff, get it in and score on that sequence too. Tied. There's no scoring in the third period or overtime, and the shootout goes to 12 rounds with us finally winning it.
Wow that's pretty cool, I am sure that felt really awesome

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Omz

So I havn't been playing long, unfortunately my parents couldn't afford hockey for me as a kid and I just picked it up in the last few months, and have been playing mostly against a couple buddies of mine who reignited my interest. I didn't actually end up making the come back in this one, but it was soo close..

We play at a little inline rink at the local rec center and when we don't have a big enough group (Usually if we don't have 6-8 people [which is usually all the time ]) we just play half rink so that we have time to set up defensively a little bit and it doesn't wear us out too quick..

I was playing 1 on 1 first to 10 with a buddy, and was down 6-1 fairly early.. Kept playing, was down 7-2, and then had 6 unanswered goals and made it 7-8. He got 2 unanswered goals back against me, and it was 9-8.. I ended up tying it up and it was 9-9.. We took it into the zone probably 6-7 times each, and just couldn't finish the other one off.. On the goal he scored we were fighting behind the net, kinda near the corner for the puck, I was on the defensive, I managed to poke it my direction (behind the net) and he started coming around the front of the net to intercept my path out of the zone, so I tried to stop and throw it around behind him off the side boards and pick it up with a little bit of speed so I could get out of the zone, and he intercepted it and rushed the net, I managed to get back in front of him but he shot the puck just a little before I was fully in position and it bounced off the inside of the post and in.. Best game I've played in until or since then..

Omz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:50 PM
HerrAlex

went down 2-0 i scored one goal to make it 2-1. They scored three 5-1
we scored 5-2, I scored three 5-5 Ended up scoring two more goals. we tied it up at 8 with thirty seconds left and then we lost in overtime. We lost but it was great to come bck from 4 goals down. And tie it up in the last minute

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Ozolinsh_27

I was playing in a tournament with a group of friends and we only had 9 players including a forward converted into goalie - she never played goalie ever and is using borrowed equipment. The tournament also happened to have our provincial team that was going to nationals and were using it as a warm up for the team to gel. A friend and I played for the provincial team the year before but were now too old to play for them. I sprained my knee the Wednesday so I was playing basically on one leg and couldn't take faceoffs to avoid further injury. I'd play centre but not take faceoffs.

Basically, it made the tournament that much more high profile because the provincial team was there - they're expected to win and we have only 9 players with a bad goalie lol

We made it to the final against the provincial team - and it turns into a 5-1 route by them by middle of the second period. The crowd is all into it and cheering against us.

With about ten minutes to go, the comeback starts - our second goal comes off a scramble - third goal is a great individual end to end by our top player, fourth goal is a shot from the slot. The crowd is already nervous, the provincial team is starting to get frustrated at each other and the games getting chippier.

We end up having two faceoffs in a row in their end, the first one ends in a shot from the D getting covered up by the goalie b/c we had two people at the net. The second faceoff we win and keep along the side boards and the puck again goes to our D - I'm at the net between their d and goalie and the wrister comes through and I manage to get my stick on it and it deflects in.

Our friends, family and bench end up going wild as its tied with around 4 minutes to go.

It ends up going to overtime 4v4, and our best player is at the end of a long shift ends up ducking a check at our blueline and is now a 2 on 1 with our best stay at home defense. Our top player ends up getting their D to bite on driving wide and feeds it back to our d in the slot - the D ends up redirecting what is now a flutter shot over the goalies glove hand.

Comeback complete! The provincial team's management and coaches storm off the ice, don't even participate in the post game handshake and the tournament award ceremonies.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Frankie Spankie

Our team couldn't get anything going at all and were down 6-1 at the start of the third period. The periods are 19 minutes running time where time is stopped with 3 minutes left when it's a close game. We start off quick and score 3 goals in the first 4 minutes so it's 6-4 with 15 minutes to go in the game. We slowly score 2 more over the next 10 minutes to tie it 6-6 with 5 minutes to go. I get the puck along the boards but I'm way too tired to do anything after a long shift. I didn't even try to get around the defender, I just took a quick wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle and it somehow went threw the goalie's legs and in. We were up 7-6 with about 4 minutes to go and after that goal, I immediately got off. They won the face off and in almost seconds, they score their first goal of the period to tie it 7-7, man was I pissed. They had the momentum at that point and we got stuck trying to fight them out of our zone. I got on with about 2 minutes to go and still stuck on defense. One of our guy's blocked a shot and got hurt at the point so he just quickly changed. While he changed, the puck found it's way straight to me and our guy replacing the injured guy started breaking down the middle. He happens to be our best scorer, easy pass right down the wide open middle straight to him with about 30 seconds to go and he buries in the breakaway and we won.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Also - i was playing with the same team next season in a double modified knock out cash tournament. We had never won this particular tournament before and it was basically the most prestigious tournament around for us as there are upwards of 60 teams playing the tournament if you combine all the divisions.

We end up getting down to the bottom of the tree on Saturday, I get ejected from our loss on Saturday for a crap reason and our team ends up with a ton of penalties - we thought there was a fix in to get us to lose as we played the hometown team.

So Sunday comes along and it turns out we have to win 3 consecutive games to make it to the final, and two more to win the final (because the team at the top of the bracket would have to lose twice). We couldn't even change out of our stuff in between games and it was the longest I'd ever worn hockey equipment in a day from like 10am to 6pm. Our motto the entire climb back to the final was at first - ok we gotta win 9 periods, 8 periods, 7 periods and so on

We end up running into a team we played on the Friday and we had a look at their roster, and they added about 5-7 different players that weren't on their Friday roster - we couldn't even afford to protest it (non refundable) and our best player just ends up saying "screw it lets just kick their ass".. and we do! no protest required lol

So yeah we're in the final, and we're losing 3-1 in the last period again - our team is pissed at each other with players basically swearing at each other at breaks in the play - we're close friends so no big deal theres no grudges ever. Crowd is into it for the other team, they're basically the home team as their town within half hour of the city. its packed!

We end up making it 3-3 with about seven minutes to go - the other team is pressing and we somehow end up with a 3 on 1 - the left winger ends up passing to me on the right and I pull the defense closer to me close to the faceoff dots, stop short and feed the defense jumping in - and scores on a low wrister. 4-3 for us.. we end up getting an empty netter.

the other team seems so demoralized that they missed their chance to win - when we played the second game, we ended up routing them like 6-1!

It was awesome, it is my second best hockey memory after beating the provincial team in my other story the year before.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
shotty

met a team in the finals that had gone 20-0 to end the season (31-2 record), and had only allowed 6 goals in the six previous playoff games. they beat us in the first game 6-4, which we were leading 2-0 until 5min of the 2nd. the turning point came when one of their shots went underneath the side of the net, and was allowed. we fell apart after that.
second game we won 3-2 after a goal with 16 seconds to go. third and final game we were tied 1-1 until late in the 3rd, again we scored to tie 2-2 with less than a minute. overtime solved nothing and our third shooter scored the only goal in the shootout, to win.

so, we ended up beating the top team (by far) in the division to win the championship.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote